Euro 2008...OOTP Style!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just awaiting the Croatia and Italy team-sheets now.

My team sheet will be in shortly. It would have been in sooner, but my internet went down last night :(

EDIT: Can i have a screenshot of the squad, as my internet speed isn't very good so it will take me a while to download it.

Can I have my screenshot (Italy)? I've downloaded the saved games but currently I'm away from my FM computer

Italian Squad

There's still a few days till your game, so I'll put in the team you just sent me via e-mail, but let me know if you want to change that now you've got the screenshot :thup:.

Now we have all the teams, the tournament can kick off tonight. Beforehand, I'll finish off Dr. Bunsen Honeydew's Predictions and then you can look forward to the Croatia vs Portugal update!

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew Predicts: Group C

Valquez: "We're back, and now Dr. Bunsen Honeydew turns his attention to Group C."

Honeydew: "Aah yes, Group C, or the "Group of Death" as it's already been dubbed, and you can see why with the teams involved. Normally I'd predict all of these to reach the last 16, but of course that won't be possible this year.

Germany - Group Stage

Germany always seem to be able to dig out the results regardless, however I think this could be the tournament where they don't do that. They have an excellent squad with players such as Ballack, Klose and Podolski, but they'll need to overcome possibly better sides in Italy and Spain, which I think they won't be able to do judging on their pre-tournament performances.

Italy - Semi-Finals

It's a case of out with the old, in with the new for the Italians. Gone are the likes of Del Piero, Cannavaro and Zambrotta, replaced by a younger generation of Italian talent, with the likes of Bonera, Rosina and Amauri all being given a chance at the major stage. They'll be good enough to reach the semis, but I think they'll fall just short of the target.

Russia - Group Stage

It's an unfortunate situation for Russia, normally I'd tip them to qualify, but with the group they've got a win will be a bonus for them. Huge performances from Arshavin, Kerzhakov (who misses the first game through suspension) and Pavyluchenko will be vital if they hold out any hope of making it past this stage.

Spain - Winners

This could be Spain's year, even though this is said nearly every year! A very strong squad with quality and youth abound, a strike partnership of Torres and Villa will no doubt strike fear into many European defender's hearts. With the talent they have across the pitch, I can see them winning."

Dr. Bunsen Honeydew Predicts: Group D

Valquez: "Here's the final installation of Dr. Bunsen Honeydew's pre-tournament predictions."

Honeydew: "We look to Group D today, similar to Group A and B with the presence of a "big" nation, but from then on I think that the 2nd spot is up for grabs between the remaining 3 teams.

Czech Republic - Group Stage

2nd place will be tight between three teams, and I think the Czechs could just miss out. They have a talented midfield and goalkeeper, but a reliance on an ageing Koller and a small(ish) defence, which could come back to bite them if they suffer some early injuries. They'll just miss out to Romania.

France - Quarter-Finals

Despite a good pre-tournament friendly followed by a poor one, I'm sure that the French will be able to qualify top of the group, but it's from that point as to whether the French can last. They're known for getting poor results against the smaller teams and there's a few in the group, but they should be safe. The generally the team is very strong but hte main question is how far can they get in the knockout stages.

Greece - Group Stage

Greece would love a repeat of their Euro 2004 success, but I just can't see it happening. They have a solid squad with a few influential names, but not enough quality to win you a European Championship. But hey, I'm sure none of us saw them coming in Euro 2004, perhaps lightening can strike twice!

Romania - Quarter-Finals

Romania can squeeze through this group, ahead of the Czechs who would normally be presumed the team who would qualify 2nd. They have a very good trio of strikers, and a solid defence. The midfield isn't the best, but they have quality in crucial areas and that should see them make it out of the group. Romania-Czech Republic should be the group decider.

Croatia vs Portugal - Group B - Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern - Saturday 7th June 2008

Valquez: "Hello, and welcome to the first game of Euro 2008 between Croatia and Portugal of Group B. It will indeed be an exciting spectacle as we kick off this year's tournament in Austria and Switzerland. Beside me tonight is my co-commentator, Dr. Bunsen Honeydew. Bunsen, your thoughts on tonights game?"

Honeydew: "Well Luis it's a fantastic fixture to start with, two very good European nations will do battle and I'm sure we'll have an entertaining game. Of course, we'll be looking forward to how the respective managers of Portugal and Croatia, Mike Bird and Alasdair Riley, can adapt to their first taste of international football."

Valquez: That's right, each manager in this tournament is relatively new to football management, but one will go away with their team as victors of Euro 2008, and now quickly we'll run through their teams for tonights match:

Croatia: Pletikosa; Srna, Babic, Sablic, Simic; Vranjes; Safaric, Jertec, Modric, Kranjcar; Eduardo.

The Croatians will be lining up with a 4-1-4-1 formation with Vranjes playing in front of the defence and Eduardo as the lone striker."

Honeydew: "It's a good tactic to play against a side like Portugal, defensive enough to hold off the threats of the likes of Ronaldo and Deco but still with that attacking trio of Modric, Kranjcar and Eduardo to threaten the defence.

Valquez: And the Portugese side:

Portugal: Ricardo; Miguel, Valente, Carvalho, Pepe; Moutinho, Veloso; Ronaldo, Deco, Nani; Gomes

Honeydew: "It's an attacking tactic for the Portugese, making the most to include their star midfielders, with the 3 of Ronaldo, Deco and Nani sitting behind Gomes the Croatian defence could be in for a rough night.

Valquez: "And now it's time for the match to kick-off, here we go!"

KICK OFF

10 mins:

Valquez: "Neat one-two between Deco and Miguel there...the Barcelona striker lays it on to Ronaldo, who lays it into Moutinho to play back to Miguel, clever play by the Portugese here...Miguel puts in a cross for Gomes...collected, but challenge by Simic! But no! Gomes! GOMES SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! Simic's challenge was brilliant but the ball fell straight back to the feet of the Portugese striker, and he had an easy job to fire the ball low past Pletikosa, Croatia 0-1 Portugal.

Honeydew: "Fantastic build-up play there by Portugal, it was a real joy to watch, some fantastic play down the right, the challenge was great by Simic but it deserved a goal in the end of the move and Gomes got it."

HALF-TIME: CROATIA 0-1 PORTUGAL

Valquez: "It's been a good encounter so far, Portugal creating most of the chances but Croatia have looked threatening on the break, can you see them getting a goal back in the second half Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "It's very possible, they've had to defend a lot this half, and it really depends on what the manager will do in the interval, I expect some words from him."

Valquez: "We're about to kick off again, and it seems Portugal are going to make a substitution, of course Valente did pick up a knock at the end of the first half, lets find out..."

SECOND HALF

45 mins:

SUBSTITUTION: Nuno Valente OFF Fernando Meira ON (Injury precaution)

51 mins:

Valquez: "Jertec, lays it inside to Kranjcar...squeezes it through to Eduardo, but there's a pack of Portugese defenders and his shot is blocked...it's spun off to Modric! Shoots! Saved! No! Is it in!? Has it crossed the line!?! The players look to the linesman...and it's in!! MODRIC SCORES FOR CROATIA!!"

Honeydew: "The ball was straight at Ricardo, but he seems to have fumbled it just on the line and let it slip in before clawing it out again, poor keeping there and suddenly Croatia have a way back into this game. You'd have thought with the amount of bodies in the box someone would have been marking Modric, but obviously not, 1-1."

54 mins:

Valquez: "Vranjes on the ball...but a poor pass sees Ronaldo pick it up! Quickly given to Deco...who slides in Gomes for a one-on-one from outside the box! Gomes....scores! GOMES SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! His second of the game! Great finish from outside the box from an effective one-on-one at an angle! Portugal regain the lead just minutes after losing it!

Honeydew: "Again, great build-up play by Portugal, but it was a sloppy pass by Vranjes which gifted them the chance, but fair play to the Portugese, they moved quickly and caught the defence off guard, and it ended up with a great finish from Gomes from 20 yards."

90+3 (of 4) mins:

Valquez: "Babic picks it up near the area, and clears the ball away in the hope of a late chance...Jertec has reacted and has beaten Miguel to the ball...runs inside and slips a pass to Eduardo just past the half-way line, just one Croatian forward with 4 Portugese defenders near him...but he has a bit of space to run into...just as Pepe comes across, Eduardo shoots...OH WHAT A GOAL!! EDUARDO SCORES FOR CROATIA!! And it's a 25-yard beauty in the dying seconds of the match!! It seems Eduardo has pulled the rabbit out of the hat and gained a point for Croatia, a brilliant goal, the score is now Croatia 2-2 Portugal."

Honeydew: "Indeed it was a great goal, he just ran at the defence until the committed themselves, and he unleashed a brilliant curling shot into the top right hand corner which Ricardo could do nothing about. Magnificient stuff."

FULL TIME: CROATIA 2-2 PORTUGAL

Valquez: "Well the referee blows his whistle and brings an end to a highly-enjoyable first game of the tournament, where Portugal took a first-half lead in a half where they had several chances through Nuno Gomes, but Croatia fought back with a much improved performance in the 2nd half, with Modric equalising, shortly before Gomes put Portugal ahead, but Eduardo scored deep into stoppage time to gain a deserved point for the Croatians."

Honeydew: "Well, whatever the Croatian manager said at half-time, it worked. Portugal had 11 shots in the first half, at the end of the 90 minutes it was 15, which Croatia when from having 7 to 14. I think that highlights how they picked up their game in the second half, and despite leaving it very late, they came away with a deserved point. Perhaps an early chance for one of Switzerland and Sweden to try and gain a march on these two sides when they play each other? Only time will tell."

Valquez: "Thanks for watching an enjoyable first game of Euro 2008, we hope you'll join us tommorow for the next match. Goodnight."

Overview and Match Stats

Croatian Stats

Kranjcar's Reaction

Croatian Fan's Reaction

Portugese Stats

Deco's Reaction

Portugese Fan's Reaction

Group B

Note: This is the style of update I intend to do for each game. I'm not sure how long it is as I've been typing this on the forum software, so apologies if it's a bit long or a bit short!

Edit: Aah, quite long!

Switzerland vs Sweden - Group B - Stade de Genéve, Geneva - Sunday 8th June 2008

Valquez: "Good-day, and welcome to Geneva for the other fixture in Group B, between hosts Switzerland and Sweden. With Portugal and Croatia drawing yesterday, this game is an ideal chance for both teams to try and get atop of the table ahead of the favourites to go through. Your thoughts on today's game, Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "Just listen to that crowd! Switzerland have a wall of noise to help them on this game, and I think they could suprise Sweden here. The Swiss will need to be quick out the blocks and try to suprise the Swedes and take an early advantage. Sweden will need to defend well and attack strongly, they'll look to Olof Mellberg and Zlatan Ibrahimovic in the respective departments to help out there. I think we're in for another entertaining game tonight Luis."

Valquez: "And onto tonight's teams, first Switzerland:

Switzerland: Benaglio; Behrami, Magnin, Djourou, Senderos; Fernandes, Gokhan, Schwegler; Geijo, Vonlanthen; Frei

The Swiss go with a 4-3-2-1 formation, with Frei as the lone striker supported by Geijo and Vonlanthen. The Dortmund striker has the weight of a nation's expectations on his shoulders, they expect him to perform here. And now Sweden:

Sweden: Isaksson; Stoor, Edman, Mellberg, Majstorovic; Andersson; Wilhelmsson, Svensson; Kallstrom; Ibrahimovic, Elmander

The Swedes line up with a 4-1-2-1-2 formation, with Kallstrom at AM and Andersson infront of the defence at DM. A very strong attacking trio with Ibrahimovic and Elmander, with Kallstrom just behind, they'll threaten the two Arsenal centre-backs for Switzerland, will they be able to hold them off? Onto tonights action."

KICK OFF

26 mins:

Valquez: "Vonlanthen recieves the ball 30 yards from goal...he sends it wide the Schwegler...back towards Vonlanthen, who races into the box, shoots at Isaksson! Saved, but squirms under his body! Can Frei get there?!? YES HE CAN!! FREI SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! An easy tap-in for the Swiss striker after a great one-two between Vonlanthen and Schwegler and great work by Vonlanthen. The Swiss take a suprise lead here after a solid start, Switzerland 1-0 Sweden."

Honeydew: "Great work by Vonlanthen down the left, but Isaksson will be annoyed he couldn't hold onto the ball, and that his defence couldn't get back to clear the ball. How will they react?"

28 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Pirmin Schwegler (Switzerland) booked for a shirt pull on Christian Wilhelmsson (Sweden).

43 mins:

Valquez: "Schwegler lays free-kick wide to Magnin...who draws in two defenders, but slides it into Vonlanthen! Squares the ball to Fernandes...who sees the gap and feeds in Frei! He has space...shoots...flicks off Mellberg...and into the net! FREI SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! Great play again by Switzerland! They passed the ball around, and carved through the Swedish defence for another goal from their star man Frei!"

Honeydew: "Well the Swedes didn't react to falling behind, and have payed for it! Another fine move my the Swiss and their crisp passing attracted the Swedish defenders out of position for them to get in behind and take their chances. Brilliant play so far."

45+2 (of 2) mins

Valquez: "Gokhan to take the corner...whipped in towards the front post, where Djourou rises highest...and scores! DJOUROU SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! Sweden are caught napping at the set piece and pay the price yet again!"

Honeydew: "Well well well Sweden, what a pickle you're in now! Two quick-fire goals for Switzerland will have hurt deep, the Swedes will hope they don't concede any more before the break!"

HALF TIME: SWITZERLAND 3-0 SWEDEN

Valquez: "Well, I don't think many of us foresaw this at half-time! Great entertainment netherless eh, Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "I don't believe it either Luis, but the Swiss were always capable of suprising the Swedes in front of their home crowd and it's just what they've done. The main question now is how Sweden can react, the game isn't over yet."

SECOND HALF

50 mins:

Valquez: "Isaksson hits the kick long, and it's flicked on by Kallstrom..but only to Gokhan...neat play by the Swiss and the ball is now with Fernandes...but he's overstretched and Edman reclaims the ball, squared to Kallstrom who fires it forward to Elmander, Edman...Svensson...back to Elmander, to Ibrahimovic and back out wide to Svensson...who beats his man to put in the cross...Elmander with the header...looping..off the bar! Drops short, to Wilhelmsson...goal! WILHELMSSON SCORES FOR SWEDEN!! Don't write the Swedes off just yet! They could well be back into this now!"

Honeydew: "Well that's a turn up for the books, we have a competition on now."

61 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Ludovic Magnin (Switzerland) booked for tugging at Christian Wilhelmsson's (Sweden) shirt.

61 mins:

Valquez: "Svensson puts in the cross out wide from the free-kick...Ibrahimovic gets his head on the ball...and it finds the net! IBRAHIMOVIC SCORES FOR SWEDEN!! This game is well and truely on now! Just another goal and the Swedes will be level!"

Honeydew: "They've picked up this half, and they've got two goals back, with half an hour to spare to try and get a winner. Who knows what could happen here?"

76 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Daniel Majstorovic (Sweden) booked for a trip on Alex Frei (Switzerland).

76 mins:

SUBSTITUTIONS: Valon Behrami and Pirmin Schwegler OFF Philipp Degen and Johann Vogel ON (tactical)

79 mins:

Valquez: "Wilhelmsson clears...but Magnin picks up just inside the Swedish half, forward to Senderos who squared for Fernandes...forward to Gokhan, who bends a shot from distance...and scores! GOKHAN SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! What an important goal that could be for Switzerland, and what a good strike from 25 yards! Switzerland 4, Sweden 2."

Honeydew: "Brilliant, just brilliant from Gokhan, he recieved the ball quickly and with speed bended the ball into the top corner. Isaksson had no chance."

80 mins:

SUBSTITUTIONS: Daniel Majstorovic, Anders Svensson and Johan Elmander OFF Karl Svensson, Sebastien Larsson and Henok Goitom ON (tactical)

90 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Inler Gokhan (Switzerland) booked for a trip on Kim Kallstrom (Sweden).

YELLOW CARD: Johan Djourou (Switzerland) booked for holding back Henok Goitom (Sweden).

FULL TIME: SWITZERLAND 4-2 SWEDEN

Valquez: "What an entertaining game! And potential our first shock result of the tournament so far, and long may it continue, don't you think Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "Indeed Luis, it's brilliant so far. A fantastic result by Switzerland, and they top the group. Could they be in with a chance of qualification? Maybe that's a dream for their fans, but it could be possible."

Valquez: "Shock one, and next us later today is Group D, where both fixtures will be viewed exclusively by us. Bye for now."

Overview and Match Stats

Swiss Stats

Muller's Reaction

Swedish Stats

Mellberg's Reaction

Group B

Coming up tommorow, is Czech Republic vs France and Romania vs Greece. I'm planning to do two matches a day, these updates take near an hour to do (with distractions though, a low-scoring, distract-free game could take a lot less time to do ;)) so it's nice to see your comments about them :thup:

Told you not to discount us Swiss, the attacking formation seemed to work wonders, and we top the group! One win in our next 2 games will secure qualification, i'm targetting the Croatians!

Wisla for my next game could you please take out Behrami and put in Degen, thanks.

Wisla - would it be possible for you to edit your OP so at the bottom it says which user has which nation please. :thup::)

Done :thup: thanks for the suggestion' date=' great idea.

Wisla for my next game could you please take out Behrami and put in Degen, thanks.

Done that aswell :thup: also congrats on the win, I was very impressed looking at the highlights how Switzerland performed.

Czech Republic vs France - Group D - St. Jakobspark, Basel - Sunday 8th June 2008

Valquez: "Welcome to this afternoon's encounter, Czech Republic vs France, the first of our double bill from Group D, with Romania vs Greece coming up this evening. France will want to get off to a good start here, your thoughts Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "Well France have a habit of not turning up at the big tournaments, and the new manager "NepentheZ" will be hoping they don't do that today. I'm honestly not sure how the Czech's will go here, dafuge's side are a real mystery to me and I don't know whether to have them down as doing well and finishing 2nd or finishing badly! I suppose we'll see today, but I wish them well."

Valquez: "Now time for us to recap the teams and their formations, we start with Czech Republic:

Czech Republic: Cech; Ujfalusi, Jankulovski, Hubschman, Grygera; Kovac; Jarolim, Sirl; Rosicky; Koller, Baros

The Czechs line up with a 4-1-4-1 formation, with Kovac in front of the defence and Rosicky behind the strikers. Koller will be employed in a "target man" role, can the ageing frontman do the work tonight?

France: Frey; Thuram, Gallas, Mexes, Clichy; Guily, Vieira; Ribéry, Nasri; Henry, Trezeguet

France go with a 4-2-2-2 formation, Ribéry and Nasri playing in more attacking roles on the wings, can they take their bookies votes as one of the favourites and get a victory, only time will tell, onto the game!

KICK OFF

3 mins:

Valquez: "Frey clears a long ball...by Grygera heads it back forward towards Rosicky...runs forward and passes it onto Koller...looks for the gap, which Baros is running into...and he's found him! Great chance for Baros from the one-on-one! And he...scores! BAROS SCORES FOR CZECH REPUBLIC!! The French defence caught out by Koller's pass which very through the middle of Mexes and Gallas, with Baros reacting to get clear and score, is a shock on the cards? Czech Republic 1-0 France."

Honeydew: "Well, I didn't know what to expect from the Czechs, but they're impressing already, a quick move and they split straight through the French defence, and Baros showing great composure to pass the ball past Frey into the net, the gauntlet's been raised now to France."

44 mins:

Valquez: "Ujfalusi plays it down the line to Jarolim, who plays it back to Kovac in the centre...forwards towards Rosicky in an attacking position...and he's quickly given it to Kolller who's got behind Mexes! Koller's clean through on goal with time to score! KOLLER SCORES FOR CZECH REPUBLIC!! Again the French are beaten by the ball through the middle, and Koller shows me wrong there! Beating Mexes to the ball with pace and a fine finish past Frey from just outside the box"

Honeydew: "The French just aren't watching out for that! Twice now Rosicky and Koller have been crucial in goals, first Koller the provider after Rosicky's pass, now Koller the scorer after Rosicky's pass, they're just not picking them up! The French could be in trouble if they don't pick up in the 2nd half!"

HALF TIME: CZECH REPUBLIC 2-0 FRANCE

Valquez: "Shock number two, Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "It could well be Luis, the France are being shown a masterclass in attacking play by the Czechs this afternoon, and unless they can plug the whole they keep finding, this scoreline could get worse. The French have failed at major tournaments before, and their fans will be hoping that today is just a blip so far."

SECOND HALF

55 mins:

SUBSTITUTION: Jan Koller OFF Martin Fenin ON (Injury precaution)

69 mins:

SUBSTITUTIONS: Ludovic Guily, Patrick Vieira and David Trezeguet OFF Florent Malouda, Abou Diaby and Nicola Anelka ON (tactical)

76 mins:

YELLOW CARD: William Gallas (France) booked for a trip on Milan Baros (Czech Republic).

76 mins:

Valquez: "Ujfalusi throws it short to Sirl...who lofts in a ball towards Baros, but cleared away by Gallas...but Kovac can run across to collect...squares to the on-running Rosicky, who runs at goal and tries a banana shot! WHAT A STRIKE! ROSICKY SCORES FOR CZECH REPUBLIC!! What drama we have here, the shock is right on now! Frey got a hand on it but could only parry it into the corner of his own net, believe it or not, 3-0!

Honeydew: "It's no more than Rosicky's deserved, a fantastic display by the Arsenal man today, what a goal! Curled brilliantly, Frey may have got close but he wasn't close enough to stop it going in."

81 mins:

RED CARD: Lilian Thuram (France) sent off for deliberate elbow on Radek Sirl (Czech Republic). (Absolutely brilliant elbow aswell, Sirl was running past him and Thuram clubs him down!)

85 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Marek Jankulovski (Czech Republic) booked for obstruction on Abou Diaby (France).

88 mins:

Valquez: "Jarolim to take the corner, short to Hubschman at the far post...who heads it towards the far post, and scores! HUBSCHMAN SCORES FOR CZECH REPUBLIC!! Absolutely sensational! Who'd have predicted this score before the match!! Brilliant header to make it 4-0."

Honeydew: "France, this is getting embarassing! Caught out by Hubschman's run at the far post, and his cross-field header found the opposite corner with Frey well beaten, yet again. Oh dear oh dear oh dear France."

FULL TIME: CZECH REPUBLIC 4-0 FRANCE

Valquez: "Two shocks in three tournament games Bunsen, what's going on here!?!"

Honeydew: "Indeed Luis, it's brilliant for fans of football though, expect those of the losing nations! The Czech's dug in today, and the game was relatively close chance wise, but the Czechs took all of theirs and with some style, Rosicky and Koller in brilliant form. France could perhaps find themselves unlucky, perhaps if one of their 7 shots on target had gone in things would be different, but a 4-0 defeat will hurt. Can they pick themselves up? It'll be hard, that's for sure."

Overview and Match Stats

Czech Stats

Kovac's Reaction

French Stats

Gallas' Reaction

Romania vs Greece - Group D - Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern - Sunday 8th June 2008

Valquez: "Welcome back, for this evening's clash between Romania and Greece. With France heavily beaten earlier by the Czechs, it's a real chance to for either of these sides to get above the French at an early stage. Of course, it sees 2004's Champions Greece looking to defend the title, can they do it Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "I'd be surprised if they did! In all honestly, I'd be almost as shocking as their win in 2004, but this tournament has already thrown up surprises, so who knows! Romania could be one to watch aswell, I expect there to be goals here."

Valquez: "Before we start we look to the teams, first how Romania line up:

Romania: Lobont; Contra, Rat, Goian, Chivu; Nicolita, Dica, Stoica, Codrea; Marica, Mutu

It's a basic 4-4-2 for the Romanians, but I expect Codrea to drop back a bit and Stoica to pull forward supporting Mutu and Marica. Here's how the Greeks look:

Greece: Chalkias; Seitaridis, Spyropoulos, Dellas, Tavlaridis; Basinas; Vangelis, Katsouranis; Karagounis, Lyberopoulos; Salpingidis

The Greeks favour a 4-1-2-2-1 tactic, with Basinas in front of the defence and Salpingidis as the lone striker with wing support from Karagounis and Lyberopoulos. We're about to kick-off here, so onto the action!"

KICK OFF

23 mins:

Valquez: "Free-kick to be taken by Stoica...towards Chivu at pace...and he's buried the header into the net! CHIVU SCORES FOR ROMANIA!! A bullet header from a well taken wide free-kick from Stoica! 1-0 to the Romanians!"

Honeydew: "Great header by Chivu, he powered towards the ball and fired it in with his head, but also a well placed cross by Stoica, straight for Chivu to run onto, he was too strong for the Greek defence!"

38 mins:

Valquez: "Dellas on the ball...but dispossessed by Mutu, he's clear through on goal!! Mutu...rounds the keeper! Must score! Does! MUTU SCORES FOR ROMANIA!! He made the angle tight for himself but he finished well! Mistake there from Dellas, it's Romania 2-0 Greece."

Honeydew: "Well Greece have been carving out the chances, but just haven't got them on target, and they've paid for it now. Great perseverance by Mutu to take the ball off Dellas and keep it so he could attack, they've taken their chances where Greece haven't."

HALF TIME: ROMANIA 2-0 GREECE

Valquez: "Well it's been fairly even in chances, but Romania have taken theirs and have a solid 2-0 lead. Can the Greeks pick up from this Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "We musn't forget - the Greeks aren't playing badly, their players just aren't finishing, I'm sure a few words for the manager could sort that out. For Romania, they'll want to carry on and keep attacking and defending as they have, they don't want to be too lax the way the Greeks had been playing."

SECOND HALF

56 mins:

Valquez: "Contra with the throw..quickly on by Marica, onto Mutu in the box! He shoots quickly...and scores! MUTU SCORES FOR ROMANIA!! Fast paced attacking there from the Romanians, the Greeks didn't even see that!"

Honeydew: "Great play, about 7 seconds from the throw-in, to the ball being in the net, and there was even a pass in that time. Mutu took the ball quickly and shot on sight - no chance for Chalkias and he was beaten by a low driven shot."

58 mins:

Valquez: "...Vangelis recieves the ball, and lays it on towards Karagounis...who plays it forward to Salpingidis in the centre...but his shot is deflected and cleared by Chivu. Seitaridis picks it up...one-two with Vangelis and the RB advances down the wing...deep cross towards Salpingidis! Has time to take it past Goian, shoots! Goal! SALPINGIDIS SCORES FOR GREECE!! They could be back in this you know! Great movement by Salpingidis, 3-1, not over yet."

Honeydew: "Good move by Greece, and great play by Salpingidis, recieving the ball and being able to gain a yard on Goian to make his task of shooting a little easier. With the chances they've had already, can they get some more (on target) and get back?"

69 mins:

SUBSTITUTION (Greece): Angelos Basinas and Nikos Lyberopoulos OFF Panagiotos Lagos and Alexandros Tziolis ON (tactical)

77 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Razvan Rat (Romania) booked for challenge on Labros Vangelis (Greece).

SUBSTITUTION (Greece): Labros Vangelis OFF Dimitris Mavrogenidis ON (injury)

88 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Kostas Katouranis shown a yellow card for a bodycheck on Alin Stoica (Romania).

90+2 (of 5) mins:

Valquez: "Goian heads out of the box, only as far as Katsouranis...one-two with Spyropoulous...feeds it into Mavrogenidis, who beats Chivu! Shoots high at the keeper, but it's beaten him! MAVROGENIDIS SCORES FOR GREECE!! Great goal by the midfielder! A powerful bust of pace past Chivu and he blasted it past Lobont, 3-2, and still 3 mins on stoppage time left! Can they do it?!?"

Honeydew: "Great goal, but perhaps a little late, but the lad has put his name into contention for a starting place next week. Magnifient play to beat Chivu and a fine finish, though Lobont will feel he could have done better."

90+5 (of 5) mins:

YELLOW CARD: Stathis Tavlaridis (Greece) booked for shirt pull on Ciprian Marica (Romania).

FULL TIME: ROMANIA 3-2 GREECE

Valquez: "Yet another entertaining game Bunsen! But if only Greece could have finishing better, it could have been different. Do you agree?"

Honeydew: "Definately Luis, they had 20 shots but only 6 on target, and that's not good enough if they want to get through to the knockout stages. Perhaps they'll get those goals in the 2nd round of group games."

Valquez: "Well, an entertaining day you'll agree, as we see Czech Republic top Group D with Romania close behind. Until tommorow, goodnight."

Overview and Match Stats

Romanian Stats

Chivu's Reaction

Greek Stats

Goumas' Reaction

Vangelis ruled out of tournament

Group D

Coming tommorow: It's Group A, and two clashes for you to enjoy. The first is Holland vs Austria followed by Poland vs Turkey.

Holland vs Austria - Group A - Stadion an de Gugl, Linz - Monday 9th June 2008

Valquez: "Hello, good afternoon, and welcome to another installment of Euro 2008, today Group A commences, and the tie up first is Holland vs Austria. Most are saying this match is a full-gone conclusion before kick-off, but with the shocks so far can you agree Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "This could be a shock to far, Switzerland didn't beat a team of the same calibre as Holland (no offence to the Swedes) and I think the Swiss are a better side. I doubt anything can happen here bar a Holland victory."

Valquez: "Stern views there, first the teams, we start with Holland:

Holland: van der Sar; Ooijer, van Bronckhorst, Jaliens, Boulahrouz; de Jong, Schaars; Sneijder, Seedorf, van der Vaart; van Persie

It's a 4-2-3-1 formation, with Schaars and de Jong in front of the defence letting Sneijder, Seedorf and VdV provide close support for RvP. Austria line up like this:

Austria: Ozcan; Standfest, Stranzl, Prodl, Scharner; Garics, Leitgeb, Ivanschitz, Aufhauser; Linz, Hoffer

A basic 4-4-2 for Austria, with Aufhauser inclined to drop back in front of the defence and Ivanschitz pushing up to aid the strikers. Time now for kick-off!

KICK OFF

17 mins:

Valquez: "Aufhauser heads it out of the area as far as Ooijer on the edge of the box...back to van Bronckhorst who quickly passes to Schaars just inside the box, immediate pass to van der Vaart...he's got time and space...and scores! VAN DER VAART SCORES FOR HOLLAND!! Beautiful play by Holland! Fantastic flowing football was too much for the Austrian defence, they could only watch! 1-0."

Honeydew: "Brilliant play there, quick passing by van Bronckhorst and an even better flicked pass by Schaars to van der Vaart, who found himself with acres of space in the box to ease the ball past the Austrian keeper. Better defending will be needed by the Austrians if they don't want to concede anymore!"

27 mins:

Valquez: "Quick free-kick by van Bronckhorst to Schaars just outside the box...whips in a cross towards the far post...where it's met by the head of Sneijder! SNEIJDER SCORES FOR HOLLAND!! The Austrians just didn't pick him up! Yet again, quick build-up play has caught out the Austrian defence."

Honeydew: "Again there's errors there for the Austrians - no-one was marking Sneijder and also de Jong who could have also had a chance to head it in, but they still played both players onside. They'll be hoping they can hold out to half-time without any more goals."

41 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Nigel de Jong (Holland) booked for a trip on Christoph Leitgeb (Austria).

43 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Roland Linz (Austria) booked for a foul on Kalid Boulahrouz (Holland).

HALF TIME: HOLLAND 2-0 AUSTRIA

Valquez: "Foregone conclusion already Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "I'm afraid so, Austrian fans. Austria just aren't able to cope with the skill and class of the Dutch, and as their legs get heavier as the game goes on, I can see them conceding more."

SECOND HALF

53 mins:

Valquez: "Ooijer gets his head on the goal-kick, and gives it to Sneijder...he runs...and runs out-wide...whips in a cross towards van Persie...who takes the ball down, and fires it past the keeper! VAN PERSIE SCORES FOR HOLLAND! Great goal! RvP took the ball down beautifully to make a bit of space for himself, and smashed it past the helpless keeper, 3-0."

Honeydew: "Another great bit of play there, both by Sneijder to gallop away from the defence out wide, then picking out a fine cross for RvP to finish off, good stuff."

54 mins:

SUBSTITUTION (Austria): Erwin Hoffer OFF Martin Harnik ON (injury precaution)

64 mins:

SUBSTITUTION (Holland): Nigel de Jong OFF John Heitinga ON (tactical)

73 mins:

SUBSTITUTION (Austria): Rene Aufhauser OFF Jurgen Saumel ON (tactical)

78 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Sebastien Prodl (Austria) booked for diving.

86 mins:

Valquez: "Sneijder gets the ball...and plays a one-two with Ooijer, before slipping in van Persie! But he lays it back to Ooijer, onto Sneijder...flicked to Seedorf, who shoots quickly! SEEDORF SCORES FOR HOLLAND!! A driven strike by the Dutch legend finds the bottom right hand corner! Surely all over now, Holland 4-0 Austria."

Honeydew: "It's been great play followed by great goal followed by great play for the Dutch today, some tantalising stuff. And another great goal, Sneijder and Ooijer have been involved a lot today in the moves, and my word have they helped."

FULL TIME: HOLLAND 4-0 AUSTRIA

Valquez: "We were treated to a fine display of football tonight by the Dutch, they should do well this year shouldn't they Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "Indeed, they should have no problem if they keep this up, but they'll face harder sides than Austria. For the Austrians, I think just retaining their pride is the best they can take out of this tournament!"

Valquez: "Harsh words Bunsen, I'm sure Austrian fans will hope their side proves your wrong! Until later today, goodbye."

Overview and Match Stats

Dutch Stats

Van der Vaart's Reaction

Austrian Stats

Stranzl's Reaction

Poland vs Turkey - Group A - Tivoli-Neu, Innsbruck - Monday 9th June 2008

Valquez: "Welcome back! Up now we conclude the 2nd game of the first round of games in Group A, Poland vs Turkey, which could well be an early decider for 2nd place in the Group. It's a tough one to predict, do you agree Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "It really is, both sides could qualify, this game will be the decider. I predicted Turkey for the quarter-finals but in reality, it's a toss-up betwen two very good sides."

Valquez: "Well we hope we'll have an exciting encounter on our hands! First the teams, starting with Poland:

Poland: Fabianski; Wasilewski, Gancarczyk, Zewlakow, Lewandowski; Iwanski, Kazmierczak, Gargula; Blaszczykowski, Krzynowek; Janczyk

It's a 4-3-2-1 formation for Poland, with three central midfielders and two attacking wingers aiding the lone striker Janczyk. Turkey look like this:

Turkey: Volkan; Altintop, Balta, Servet, Gokhan; Topuz, Emre; Gokdeniz, Tuncay; Nihat, Erding

Turkey go with a 4-2-2-2, with wingers Gokdeniz and Tuncay playing in an advanced role to help out the two strikers. It's time for kick-off!"

KICK OFF

20 mins:

Valquez: "Gokdeniz to take the corner for Turkey...headed away as far as Servet, who lays it back towards Gokdeniz to try another cross...Tuncay heads it...saved by Fabianski! But bundled into the net by Nihat! NIHAT SCORES FOR TURKEY!! He had the easiest of jobs to as he turned the ball into the net from just a yard out! Poland 0-1 Turkey."

Honeydew: "It may have been scrappy but they all count, Turkey certainly won't mind! It was a good second cross by Gokdeniz, Tuncay was unlucky but Nihat managed to finish the job and they'll be looking to build on this, will Poland fight back?"

25 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Hamit Altintop (Turkey) booked for handball.

YELLOW CARD: Seweryn Gancarczyk (Poland) booked for a late tackle on Karadeniz Gokdeniz (Turkey).

32 mins:

Valquez: "Wasilewski takes the throw...but it's poor, straight to Emre, who feeds it to Erding...squares past the defender to Nihat in space! Fires a shot from 20 yards! NIHAT SCORES FOR TURKEY!! A great breakaway move by Turkey and Nihat shows he can finish them from not only 2 yards but 20 yards!"

Honeydew: "How the Polish right-back will be rueing that poor throw now! It's certainly cost his team, but don't take away the marvellous finish by Nihat, a sharp finish past the keeper from just outside the area."

34 mins:

RED CARD: Jacek Krzynowek (Poland) sent off for kicking out at Hamit Altintop (Turkey).

SUBSTITUTION (Poland): Lukasz Gangula OFF Sebastien Mila ON (tactical)

42 mins:

Valquez: "Erding calls for the ball, but he's being obstructed by Zewlakow...and a penalty is given! The first of the tournament! Oh just what Poland didn't need on the stroke of half time...Nihat to take for his hat-trick...NIHAT SCORES FOR TURKEY!! The keeper was rigid and Nihat slid the ball into the right-hand corner, for a 42-minute hat-trick, a brilliant day so far for Turkey!"

Honeydew: "The keeper had no idea where it was going, but a dive would have been helpful, nevertheless, a great display by Nihat and a deserved hat-trick, though I doubt Turkey thought they'd be in this position near half-time!"

44 mins:

Valquez: "Poor pass by Emre, and Blaszczykowski picks it up and advances...given to Janczyk, who spots the run of Mila! Plays in a pin-point pass to the winger...who rifles the ball past the Turkish keeper! MILA SCORES FOR POLAND!! A lifeline for the Poles! They're not dead and buried yet, even with 10 men..."

Honeydew: "Great move, and great vision by Janczyk to spot Mila's run, and he got the goal for his efforts. They'll have to keep onto Turkey in the second half and try to get those goals back, unless they can get any more before the break."

YELLOW CARD: Hakan Balta (Turkey) booked for obstructing Jakub Blaszczykowski (Poland).

HALF TIME: POLAND 1-3 TURKEY

Valquez: "An interesting score at half-time, but Turkey have done well given the chances, and Nihat has take advantage of three opportunites and has a hat-trick. Can Poland build on their late goal in the half and come back?"

Honeydew: "It'll be hard with 10 men, but if they can stifle Nihat, they may be able to do it, they've shown just then they can get past the defence, but will need Turkey to make a few errors first."

SECOND HALF

63 mins:

YELLOW CARD: Przemyslaw Kazmierczak (Poland) booked for a trip on Mehmet Topuz (Turkey).

72 mins:

Valquez: "Mila to take the free-kick, 25 yards out for Poland...ooh wonderful! MILA SCORES FOR POLAND!! This game is truely on! A beautiful 25-yard free-kick from the winger, and since coming on he's dragged Poland away from a heavy defeat, can they get another?"

Honeydew: "Well it is on! Mila's been very influential since coming on, and his presence has got him two goals. Can they get a goal or will Turkey pick up again?"

SUBSITUTION (Turkey): Nihat OFF Nobre ON (tactical)

80 mins:

Valquez: "Gokdeniz with the corner...that Erding get's his head on! ERDING SCORES FOR TURKEY!! Turkey regain their two goal lead, and it's a debut goal for Erding! With just ten minutes to go, Poland will need to work to get back into this, Poland 2-4 Turkey."

Honeydew: "Another set-piece leads to another goal for Turkey, but this time Gokdeniz can get his cross in!"

88 mins:

Valquez: "Volkan kicks long towards Erding...who moves central and passes to Gokdeniz, who looks to give it forward to Nobre...and he shoots from distance! NOBRE SCORES FOR TURKEY!! Another debutant gets a goal for Turkey! A brilliant goal, but it seems a deflection off Lewandowski helped it in."

Honeydew: "Great goal, and that should seal it now, Poland have been better than this but the red card hasn't helped."

90+2 (of 4) mins:

YELLOW CARD: Zan Gokhan (Turkey) booked for obstructing Dawid Janczyk (Poland).

FULL TIME: POLAND 2-5 TURKEY

Valquez: "A crucial win for Turkey tonight, could this help them qualify?"

Honeydew: "It was the main clash to gain 2nd place, and they've gained the upper hand, now Poland have it all to do, they weren't helped by a red card, but a three-goal deficit won't help them and they were better than that in the match."

Valquez: "Well thanks for watching, and we'll be back, same time tommorow, for more from Euro 2008!"

Overview and Match Stats

Polish Stats

Lewandowski's Reaction

Turkish Stats

Rustu's Reacion

Group A

Tommorow: Group C, with Russia vs Spain and Italy vs Germany.

Archived