Euro 2008...OOTP Style!

• Replies 477
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

UPDATES RETURN

It's true, for the first time in quite a while I've had time to load up this save and get working on some updates! :)

I've decided to split each game now in the knock-out stages into two updates, one for each half. Hopefully this will mean I can get bits and pieces done when I can. With any luck, the remaning managers will forgive my long period of absence and return to see their teams continue (or fail!) in their attempt to win Euro 2008, and that I'll be able to have this wrapped up before Christmas!

I'll PM the 8 remaining managers just in case you don't see the thread.

Holland vs Portugal - Euro 2008 Quarter-Final - Hypo Group Arena, Klagenfurt - Thursday 19th June 2008

Valquez: "Welcome back, it seems like an age since we last broadcast to you, doesn't it? Tonight we're back with the start of the knockout stages of Euro 2008! Coming up, we have a tantalising encounter between European heavyweights Holland and 2004 finalists Portugal, who will do battle in a fight to make the Semi-Finals. Bunsen, who stands out here as a favourite?"

Honeydew: "Going on form, Holland have the quality to win here, but in the knockout rounds anything is possible. Portugal haven't been at their best so far this tournament but still have picked up the necessary results, they'll be hoping to do so again tonight."

Valquez: "Let's now review the teams before tonight's clash, starting with Holland:

Holland: Van der Sar; Ooijer, van Bronckhorst, Jaliens, Boulharouz; de Zeeuw, Schaars; Sneijder, Seedorf, van der Vaart; van Persie

Just the one change for Holland tonight, Andre Ooijer returning to the starting line-up in place of John Heitinga.

Portugal: Ricardo; Bosingwa, Valente, Carvalho, Pepe; Tiago, Moutinho; Quaresma, Deco, Ronaldo; Gomes

Deco returns in place of Nani, while Miguel Veloso is suspended meaning Quaresma can take his place. The kick-off beckons!"

KICK OFF

8 mins (HOLLAND 0-0 PORTUGAL):

Valquez: "...Seedorf lays it out wide to Schaars, he attempts to whip in a cross from the left but Pepe shepherds it out...Schaars moves inside to retrieve it and gives it to Seedord now in a central position...slides through for Van Persie! Parried away by Ricardo! Sneijder's there! SNEIJDER SCORES FOR HOLLAND!! Wesley Sneijder scores again as Holland get yet another early lead! Ricardo was unable to hold Van Persie's first-time shot and Sneijder made him pay!"

Honeydew: "Ricardo did well initially but Sneijder is in such good form it just had to be him there ready to tap in the rebound! A fantastic start for Holland and Portugal need to get into this sharpish or risk a Dutch defeat."

15 mins (HOLLAND 1-0 PORTUGAL):

Valquez: "Van der Vaart to take the corner out on the left wing...outswings towards Jaliens...but it's Sneijder who gets his head on it! SNEIJDER SCORES FOR HOLLAND!! He's everywhere! Wesley Sneijder adds his second of the game and a crucial second goal for Holland!"

Honeydew: "That's a blow for Portugal, one goal was manageable but now it's two, it's a tough mountain to climb for them. Hopefully we'll see the Portuguese players showing what they're capable of and turn it around!"

39 mins: (HOLLAND 2-0 PORTUGAL):

Valquez: "Valente plays a low ball down the line to Ronaldo...uses pace to accelerate away from De Zeeuw and push out to the wing, can't get past Ooijer so cuts it back to Moutinho...slides a square ball to the advancing Valente, who's aims a first-time cross at Nuno Gomes...and he get's his head on it! GOMES SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! It's not all over yet! Portugal attack quickly and swiftly down the left flank, and get a goal for their efforts! 2-1 and anything can happen!"

Honeydew: "Interesting there, the first real sign this tournament of Portugal coming out of the box more and more and using their creativity and inventiveness that's not shown up too much this tournament, but also the first real sign of Dutch weakness, they just backed off Ronaldo as he went down the wing, and who was marking Valente, he had so much space for that cross! Perhaps the tides are changing..."

42 mins: (HOLLAND 2-1 PORTUGAL)

Valquez: "Bosingwa takes the throw...lands at the feet of Deco in the box but he is surrounded by Dutch defenders...plays it back to Tiago, a smart ball in for Moutinho, who tries an early shot! MOUTINHO SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! The Portugese attackers strike like lightening and leave the Dutch dazzled, they've equalised here! 2 goals in just 3 minutes has this game back at level pegging!"

Honeydew: "I don't think the Dutch saw much of that at all! An exceptional pass by Tiago to reach Moutinho, but clever thinking to try the early shot, I'm fairly sure Van Der Sar wasn't expecting that!"

45+1 (of 2) mins: (HOLLAND 2-2 PORTUGAL)

YELLOW CARD: Andre Ooijer (Holland) booked for holding back Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal).

HALF TIME: HOLLAND 2-2 PORTUGAL

Valquez: "Not exactly a game of two halves so far but a half of two halves! Holland seemed comfortable and in control, 2-0 up on 15 minutes but Portugal have been resilient and two smooth attacks in three minutes has led to the game being tied at the moment. How can it change Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "It's anyone's game at 2-2, but the momentum is with Portugal after their fightback, the Dutch players will of course be deflated and they might have to pick themselves up here, or risk going out."

Second half, tomorrow... (or perhaps between 2 and 6ish this evening!)

Holland vs Portugal - Euro 2008 Quarter-Final - Hypo Group Arena, Klagenfurt - Thursday 19th June 2008

SECOND HALF

64 mins (HOLLAND 2-2 PORTUGAL):

YELLOW CARD: Stijn Schaars (Holland) booked for a push on Bosingwa (Portugal).

75 mins (HOLLAND 2-2 PORTUGAL):

Valquez: "Valente picks up the pass...plays it forward to Ronaldo in the centre...turns away from De Zeeuw and pushes to the left wing, runs with Ooijer...and gets ahead! Crosses for Nuno Gomes...headed away by Boulharouz, going back to Ronaldo...WHAT A STRIKE! RONALDO SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! WHAT A GOAL!! Boulharouz's headed clearance dropped straight onto the boot of Cristiano Ronaldo, and he absolutely rocketed the ball into the top right hand corner from the edge of the box, no chance for Van der Sar! What a goal and Portugal have turned this around!"

Honeydew: "What a sublime goal, he definately deserved that after all his hard work. The run from the half-way line to get into a brilliant position for the cross, and a fantastic hit when the ball came back to him. Holland are right up against the wall now!"

76 mins (HOLLAND 2-3 PORTUGAL):

YELLOW CARD: Ricardo Quaresma (Portugal) booked for upending Gio van Bronckhorst (Holland).

77 mins (HOLLAND 2-3 PORTUGAL):

SUBSTITUTIONS (Holland): Stijn Schaars, Clarence Seedorf OFF Ryan Babel, Nigel de Jong ON (tactical)

86 mins (HOLLAND 2-3 PORTUGAL):

Valquez: "Quaresma...plays a one-two with Tiago, however he can't advance so plays it back to Bosingwa...he pushes forward on the right before squeezing a pass to Tiago...he swivels, to Nuno Gomes on the edge of the box...plays a one-two with Deco and he's behind the defence! NUNO GOMES SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! A beautiful end to that move, a wonderful exchange of passes between Nuno Gomes and Deco sees the former give Portugal a 2 goal cushion late on and most likely qualification to the semi-finals!"

Honeydew: "I think that's just about killed this game off for the Dutch, Portugal so clinical once again on the attack, they've definately earned this victory tonight, if it stays this way!"

FULL TIME: HOLLAND 2-4 PORTUGAL

PORTUGAL QUALIFY FOR THE SEMI-FINALS

HOLLAND ARE OUT OF EURO 2008

Valquez: "It was a huge game tonight and both sides have served up a dish of excellent football, with Portugal reaching the semi-finals. What will they take from this Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "It definately showed us Portugal can perform and pull off the goods, they had their fair share of chances tonight. But Holland will be ruing their own spurned opportunities in this match, 14 shots off target won't get you into the latter stages of a tournament of this prestige!"

Valquez: "Well we've all enjoyed the Dutch football throughout this tournament and it'll be sad to see them go. However, it is Portugal who are going through, and they'll eagerly be awaiting the result of the Germany-Czech Republic game to see who they face. For now, goodnight."

Overview and Match Stats

Dutch Stats

VdV's Reaction

Portugese Stats

Deco's Reaction

Also quite interesting to note how each camp's press reacted to the game! ;)

Dutch Press Reaction

Portugese Press Reaction

So this time, we say goodbye to frithleeds, hopefully you'll follow the rest of the sign-up. Your manager will be retired.

Rest of the update to be finished shortly, thought I'd lost it again as the laptop crashed...but loaded up Firefox (which I'm using while IE is deadly or whatever it is) and it restored it, and pressing CTRL + Z brought it all back \o/ so in conclusion Firefox is ffb and will be used for all my sign-up posting needs.

Just need to reboot the save and get the rest of the screenies :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Turkey vs Switzerland - Euro 2008 Quarter-Final - Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern - Friday 20th June 2008

Valquez: "Are you sure it's only been a day since the last Euro 2008 game? Well regardless of that fact we are back, with a mouthwatering clash between Turkey and co-hosts Switzerland for a place in the semi-finals. Neither would have been favourites in anyone's book for a place in the semi's, but one will be there. Who may it be Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "Good evening everyone. Switzerland have been the biggest shock of the tournament - not once so far have they looked a poor side, and with momentum in their path they'll be fancying themselves. The Turkish team have been involved in several high scoring fixtures so far; they'll be looking to channel that energy into the Swiss net, my gut instinct is another Swiss shock win in a high scoring game."

Valquez: "Now to look at the sides before we begin:

Turkey: Volkan; Kurtulus, Balta, Servet, Gokhan; Sahin, Topuz; Gokdeniz, Tuncay; Nihat, Erding

Turkey keep the 4-2-2-2 formation, and make two changes, Altintop is suspended so is replaced by Kurtulus and Topuz returns to the starting XI in place of Nobre.

Switzerland: Bengalio; Degen, Magnin, Djourou, Senderos; Fernandes, Gokhan, Schwegler; Alex Geijo, Esteban; Frei

The Swiss also keep their same 4-3-2-1 formation, with Djourou returning in place of Muller and the injured Vonlanthen being replaced by Julian Esteban. Now onto the action!"

KICK OFF

5 mins (TURKEY 0-0 SWITZERLAND)

Valquez: "Topuz is dispossesed by Gelson Fernandes...plays it forward to Alex Geijo who takes his time on the ball, he waits, spots the run of Degen on the right wing and lays it out wide...he gives it back to Geijo as there's no way past Gokhan, who in turn slips it back to Fernandes in a central position 35 yards out...he squares it to Gokhan, who plays it forward for Frei...moves in on goal, hits a shot from just outside the box! FREI SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! We've come to expect that from the Dortmund striker this tournament! Another class finish from Frei, just outside the box in a relatively central positon he rolls it into the corner past Volkan, Switzerland have an early lead!"

Honeydew: "There are Turkish players claiming offside, did you see anything Luis? Seemed a perfectly fine goal to me, great passing play by the Swiss side and Frei moved just at the right time to get between the Turkish defence and give himself a relatively easy position to slot home."

16 mins (TURKEY 0-1 SWITZERLAND):

Valquez: "Sahin lays it out wide to Gokdeniz...plays it back to Kurtulus, who holds it up and has time to pick out a pass...plays it back to Gokdeniz but he has to go back to the right-back again...however this time Magnin has been caught following the ball and Kurtulus can set Gokdeniz down clear on the right side! He steadies himself, and plays a cross deep towards the far post...Erding beats Degen to the ball! ERDING SCORES FOR TURKEY!! Excellent header by the Turkish striker! He went up for the ball with Degen and he made sure he was the one getting his head on the end of it!"

Honeydew: "Magnin will feel a bit foolish when he sees this goal. He had already once stopped Gokdeniz from getting down the wing and forcing him to play backwards; his mistake was trying to go after the ball after he layed it back to Kurtulus, which then led to the Turkish winger having the whole right side of the pitch to himself! However Erding still had work to do and buried it into the corner just out of reach of Bengalio."

22 mins (TURKEY 1-1 SWITZERLAND):

Valquez: "Kurtulus takes the throw towards Gokdeniz...Magnin however beats him in the aerial challenge and nods it forward...it finds the feet of Gokhan who plays a quick ball to Esteban, with two Turkish defenders in front of him...leaves it for Schwegler, who plays a great pass through to Frei! He's onside! FREI SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! Alex Frei once again gets clear of the Turkish defence and this time slots home into the bottom right hand corner past Volkan, the Swiss lead again!"

Honeydew: "What were the Turkish defenders playing at? They all seemed to try and block off Esteban, while giving up on Frei. Of course this attempt of defending fell apart when Esteban layed it back slightly for Schweger...Frei at this point was in clear space again and had an easy job to give his side the lead."

41 mins (TURKEY 1-2 SWITZERLAND):

YELLOW CARD: Philipp Degen (Switzerland) booked for holding onto the shirt of Sanli Tuncay (Turkey).

HALF TIME: TURKEY 1-2 SWITZERLAND

Valquez: "Once again we've been dazzled with some clinical finishing by Alexander Frei, but Turkey are by no means out of this, just a goal will have them level. How could this second half play out Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "The Turkish players need to remember how to mark properly! Twice Frei has been allowed a clean route to goal with little effort involved, they must perform better there to have a chance. They've shown us through Erding that they can attack."

Second half to be added later...

SECOND HALF

68 mins (TURKEY 1-2 SWITZERLAND):

Valquez: "Frei will take the indirect free-kick...lays it into the box for Schwegler...and he's been tripped by Nuri Sahin! Penalty to Switzerland! The Turkish players surround the referee and question his decision...Erding escapes with a warning...it's Geijo now to take the spot kick, steps up, and...buries it into the bottom right hand corner! GEIJO SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! They've extended their lead now and Turkey have it all do with just over 20 minutes remaining! Are the Swiss going into the semi-finals?"

Honeydew: "Well that may seal it, a silly challenge by Sahin, Switzerland had a chance to put themselves in the driving seat for this game and they've done that, Turkey must respond quickly."

SUBSTITUTION (Turkey): Nuri Sahin OFF Nobre ON (tactical)

75 mins (TURKEY 1-3 SWITZERLAND):

YELLOW CARD: Gelson Fernandes (Switzerland) is booked for pulling the shirt of Melvut Erding (Turkey).

YELLOW CARD: Karadeniz Gokdeniz (Turkey) is shown a yellow card for obstructing Pirmin Schwegler (Switzerland).

YELLOW CARD: Pirmin Schwegler (Switzerland) is booked for obstructing Serdar Kurtulus (Turkey).

79 mins (TURKEY 1-3 SWITZERLAND):

YELLOW CARD: Hakan Balta (Turkey) is booked for tripping Alex Geijo (Switzerland).

90+1 (of 4) mins (TURKEY 1-3 SWITZERLAND);

YELLOW CARD: Zan Gokhan (Turkey) is shown a yellow card for obstructing Alex Geijo (Switzerland).

90+2 (of 4) mins (TURKEY 1-3 SWITZERLAND):

Valquez: "Gokdeniz to take the corner for Turkey...whips it in at the front post towards Servet and Frei...and the Turkish defender wins it! SERVET SCORES FOR TURKEY!! It's very late in the game, can they get an equaliser! This game is still going!

Honeydew: "It's too late if you ask me, I expect Switzerland now to close off the game, they surely wouldn't be foolish enough to let Turkey get an opportunity now to draw level?"

FULL TIME: TURKEY 2-3 SWITZERLAND

SWITZERLAND QUALIFY FOR THE SEMI-FINALS

TURKEY ARE OUT OF EURO 2008

Valquez: "The Swiss have made the semi-finals of their own tournament! Surely they're as shocked as us Bunsen that they've been able to progress so far?"

Honeydew: "Speaking to the man on the street I think they'd say they would always do this well! We had Greece in 2004, can Switzerland be this year's shock contender? They certainly look that they can go the distance and with Spain or Romania to face they will have a tough clash. Turkey will be annoyed, basic mistakes cost them here but they'll go home knowing they've lost to the form team of this tournament."

Valquez: "Well Switzerland march on, and we'll be looking as to how they can do in the semi-finals. But first, we have the Romania-Spain game tomorrow, which will decide who plays against today's winners. We hope you'll join us then, but for now, goodnight."

Overview and Match Stats

Turkish Stats

Rustu's Reaction

Swiss Stats

Muller's Reaction

Turkish Press Reaction

Swiss Press Reaction

And this time we say goodbye to...me :(...now I shall retire myself! Further updates watch, I'd like to start the Romania-Spain one tonight, possibly finished tomorrow before I go out, then no updates until Wednesday evening at the earliest as I'm at an 18th.

Romania vs Spain - Euro 2008 Quarter-Final - Ernst-Happel-Stadion, Wien - Saturday 21st June 2008

Valquez: "Welcome back, we're in the Austrian capital for tonight's Euro 2008 encounter, between Romania and Spain. Romania reach this stage of the competition after getting past France on goal difference - and have been rewarded with a tough tie by the Spanish, who triumphed at the top of the Group of Death. How will this play out Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "Romania have had a solid tournament, but not spectacular. Their only victory has been against Greece who were the whipping boys of Group D. Spain however have been very good, easily beating Russia and Italy and only drawing with Germany thanks to a stoppage time leveller, while playing a reserve team. I'd fully expect Spain to triumph here but we've been shown too many times this tournament you can never be sure of a result..."

Valquez: "Now to take a look at tonight's teams before we kick-off, starting with Romania.

Romania: Lobont; Contra, Rat, Chivu, Tamas; Nicolita, Dica, Stoica, Codrea; Marica, Mutu

Romania keep their 4-4-2 formation and make two changes; Goian is suspended and is replaced by the returning Chivu, Rat also returns in place of Radu.

Spain: Casillas; Puyol, Lopez, Albiol, Pablo; Joaquin, Vicente, Iniesta, Fabregas; Torres, Raul

Spain also stick with a 4-4-2 formation and recall Puyol, Lopez, Joaquin, Vicente, Fabregas, Torres and Raul who were rested in the last match; Arbeloa, Capdevila, Xavi, Xabi Alonso, Raul Garcia, Arteta and Tamudo drop to the bench. Villa is injured. Now onto the action from tonight's game!

KICK OFF

8 mins (ROMANIA 0-0 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Vicente plays in a cross towards Raul...Chivu trys to head it away but it goes straight back to Vicente...plays in another cross this time towards Torres...who gets his head on it! TORRES SCORES FOR SPAIN!! Fernando Torres heads Spain into an early lead and immediately the pressure is on for Romania!"

Honeydew: "A strong header by Torres, Vicente as well showing on the wing the value of being persistent, he tried another cross, just to a different part of the box and this time Torres was able to beat Tamas to the ball and bury it into the bottom left hand corner."

23 mins (ROMANIA 0-1 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Fabregas plays it to Antonio Lopez's feet...squares it to Albiol, who can find the advancing Fabregas...he plays it out wide to Lopez...he's under threat from Contra, Contra can't win the ball...Lopez gets there again just inside the box to whip in a cross! Torres gets his head on it! Saved by Lobont, but spilled out! Raul from 6 yards! RAUL SCORES FOR SPAIN!! Raul has an easy job to poke home from a few yards out and Spain now have a two-goal lead! Romania have much work to do now to have a chance of reaching the semi-finals..."

Honeydew: "Lopez played an excellent ball in there, Contra will be kicking himself at not getting a toe to clear it away, anywhere but into his own box! Lobont made a great close-range save from Torres' initial chance but Raul is still a sharp player and was able to bury it.

25 mins (ROMANIA 0-2 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Antonio Lopez will take this free-kick from wide out on the left, looking to swing it into the centre...it takes a deflection of Contra...all the pace comes off the ball...Nicolita is slow to react to this, but Vicente isn't! He's got a chance of a one-on-one! VICENTE SCORES FOR SPAIN!! The deflection played a huge part there as it fell beautifully into the path of Vicente and he fired it low and hard past Lobont into the bottom right hand corner! Spain are running away with this!"

Honeydew: "The deflection was crucial, the ball didn't get further than the near post. Nicolita was very slow to react and that has cost his side a goal, good awareness from Vicente to follow the new path of the ball following the deflection adn he was rewarded with a goal."

HALF TIME: ROMANIA 0-3 SPAIN

Valquez: "Well, Spain have a monumental advantage here. Surely they must be the third team to qualify for the semi-finals of Euro 2008?"

Honeydew: "Has this tournament taught you nothing Luis? Although there is a steep mountain for the Romanians to climb, they musn't count themselves out of this yet, we've already had many great comebacks this tournament and we could easily be due another, so much can change in 45 minutes..."

Second half to come tonight/early tomorrow.

Excellent surprise to see this come back Wisla. :thup:

Just in case people have forgotten (and for my benefit predominantly), I have restated the Quarter Final Draw with the users managing them. :)

Quarter Finals

Turkey  (Wisla)        2  v  3  Switzerland  (haza555)
Romania  (rlipscombe)     v     Spain  (Robert_296)

Holland  (frithleeds)  2  v  4  Portugal  (birdy123)
Czech Rep  (dafuge)       v     Germany  (Walcott's Wonderkids)

SECOND HALF

72 mins (ROMANIA 0-3 SPAIN):

YELLOW CARD: Raul Albiol (Spain) is booked for tripping Adrian Mutu (Romania).

76 mins (ROMANIA 0-3 SPAIN):

SUBSTITUTION (Romania): Ciprian Marica OFF Bogdan Stancu ON (tactical)

78 mins (ROMANIA 0-3 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Dica receives the ball...lays it back to Rat who then squares to Codrea, he can then play a good ball to Dica...again the ball finds it way back to Codrea via Rat, but this time they square to Stoica in the centre of the pitch...he slides it on towards Adrian Mutu on the edge of the box, who's tries an early shot! MUTU SCORES FOR ROMANIA!! Could this be the lifeline they needed, with just 12 minutes remaining! Mutu turned and shot almost immediately after getting the ball, and he powered it into the bottom corner! Romania aren't gone just yet!

Honeydew: "Fantastic strike by Mutu, he ran with the ball, and as soon as it came to him he blasted it past Casillas. It's good timing as well; that move on the left side of teh pitch did seem to be going nowhere, but the infield pass to Stoica meant that it ended in a goal. They need to build on this momentum."

81 mins (ROMANIA 1-3 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Puyol has the ball...and plays it down the right wing towards Joaquin, he assess his options, and whips a cross into the box...Torres goes down! Was he obstructed! The referee thinks he was, penalty to Spain! Fernando Torres went down under the challenge of Tamas and a penalty is given! Raul now has a chance to surely put the game beyond Romania from the spot...and he puts it away! RAUL SCORES FOR SPAIN!! Slotted into the right-hand side of the net, Spain regain their 3-goal lead and with 9 minutes to go Romania face an impossible task!"

Honeydew: "It's the kind of finish you expect from Raul, calm and collected. Romania haven't helped themselves by giving away a penalty, a silly thing to do. The game is all but lost now."

83 mins (ROMANIA 1-4 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Stoica will take the corner for Romania...swings it in, Tamas gets a head on it...hits the crossbar! Falls to Chivu...squirms towards goal, deflects of Albiol! Hits Lopez on the line...but it's gone in! I think that's an own goal! ANTONIO LOPEZ SCORES AN OWN GOAL (GOAL FOR ROMANIA)!! How on earth that crossed the line I'll never know! There were plenty of players in that box, and Chivu's stabbed shot managed to hit two Spanish players and find it's way in!"

Honeydew: "I think the own goal call is right, Chivu's shot seemed to be going just wide, Albiol's deflected it towards goal and the touch off Lopez on the line put it in the net! 7 minutes to go, it must be too late now for Romania..."

FULL TIME: ROMANIA 2-4 SPAIN

SPAIN QUALIFY FOR THE EURO 2008 SEMI-FINALS

ROMANIA ARE OUT OF EURO 2008

Valquez: "The Spanish march on with another confident performance tonight against Romania, surely they must be big contenders for this tournament Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "They were clinical and efficient today, but they got a lot of help from the Romanians. Contra was unlucky twice with deflections, one leading to Lopez's cross for Raul's goal and then another from Lopez's free-kick for Vicente's goal, Raul's goal from the spot could have been prevented if Tamas hadn't sillily given away a penalty. Romania will be ruing their chances here, with a bit more luck they could be the ones in the semi-final but several silly mistakes have cost them."

Overview and Match Stats

Romanian Stats

Chivu's Reaction

Spanish Stats

Puyol's Reaction

Romanian Press' View

Spanish Press' View

So after his Romania side are defeated, we say goodbye to rlipscombe, who's manager will now be retired.

This update was finished a lot earlier than expected!

A note to the manager's of Switzerland (haza555), Spain (Robert_296) and Portugal (birdy123), if you're reading this it would be helpful if you can get your teams to me asap, I can either upload the save (this is FM08 though), or can just upload screenshots of your teams for you to take a look at and decide. There's still the Czech Republic-Germany game to be posted, then on late Wednesday/Thursday the semi-finals will take place so you do have a couple of days.

If there's no news after a period of time (everyone has been sent a PM so if you've been on the forums recently you'll know this is back!) I will just go with the same team from the last game, or if a main player was missing from the Quarters but is back for the next game then your best team.

winning 3-0. Does that mean I'll be playing switzerland if (when) I beat Romania?

It does, of course there will be a full announcement after the Czech-Germany game but here's a quick recap of what the Semi's will be:

Switzerland vs Spain

Czech Republic or Germany vs Portugal

Germany vs Czech Republic - Euro 2008 Quarter-Finals - St. Jakobspark, Basel - Sunday 22nd June 2008

Valquez: "Welcome back to the final Euro 2008 Quarter-Final, to be contested between Germany and the Czech Republic. The Czech's were surprisingly easy winners of their group, while the Germans qualified thanks to a remarkable stroke of luck after Russia came from 2-0 down to beat Italy 3-2, while the Germans got a late equaliser against Spain. On paper the Germans should win but form suggests otherwise, doesn't it Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "The Czechs are on great form, no doubt about it, along with Switzerland they are the two form teams of this tournament. The Germans however have been able to do just enough so far to get through, could they get more luck today? They'll need the liked of Rosicky to have an off day if so, he's been superb so far this tournament and could be the key if the Czechs want to make thesemi-finals. It will be close."

Valquez: "Now onto the teams for today's game, first we will look at how the Germans line-up.

Germany: Hildebrand; Lahm, Jansen, Mertesacker, Huth; Frings; Schneider, Schweinsteiger, Ballack; Klose, Podolski

The Germans keep their 4-1-3-2 formation and make two changes, Metzelder is banned and replaced by Huth, while Ballack returns in place of Borowski.

Czech Republic: Cech; Ujfalusi, Jankulovski, Grygera, Hubschman; Kovac; Jarolim, Sirl; Rosicky; Koller, Baros

The Czechs also stick with their 4-1-2-1-2 formation, with Jankulovski, Grygera, Jarolim and Koller replacing Zapotocny, Kalouda, Plasil and Fenin. Now onto the action!"

KICK OFF

16 mins (GERMANY 0-0 CZECH REPUBLIC):

Valquez: "Jarolim whips in the corner...it drops slightly at the front post...which Hubschman will be able to get his head on! HUBSCHMAN SCORES FOR CZECH REPUBLIC!! Hubschman powers home the header from the near post and the Czech's look to keep up their fine form!"

Honeydew: "A very powerful header by the Czech centre-back there, Lahm got nowhere near it. It was a decieving cross as well by Jarolim, it seemed at first to be going longer than it did, but Hubschman realised this and was able to finish it off."

28 mins (GERMANY 1-1 CZECH REPUBLIC):

YELLOW CARD: Torsten Frings (Germany) is shown a yellow card for tripping Tomas Rosicky (Czech Republic).

31 mins (GERMANY 0-1 CZECH REPUBLIC):

Valquez: "Jansen retrieves the ball for Germany...runs with it down the left hand side, Ujfalusi comes to intercept...but he plays it past him down the line to Schweinsteiger...he whips in a very early cross...Klose gets his head on it from the edge of the box...but it's powerful! WHAT A GOAL! KLOSE SCORES FOR GERMANY!! One of the more incredible goals you will see this tournament, a bullet header from just outside the penalty area! That was from 20 yards out! Fantastic by Klose, Germany are level!"

Honeydew: "What a head this man has, he put the perfect amount of power into that, and made sure it found the top left hand corner of the net, brilliant stuff. It's rare that a header will go in from 20 yards but even more so when the keeper can do nothing about it!"

36 mins (GERMANY 1-1 CZECH REPUBLIC):

YELLOW CARD: Robert Huth (Germany) is booked for a trip on Jan Koller (Czech Republic).

HALF TIME: GERMANY 1-1 CZECH REPUBLIC

Valquez: "It's a very close game at the moment, not much between either side. How can this end up Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "Big players will need to step up, Rosicky for the Czechs, Ballack for the Germans. I think the Czechs can win if they get at the Germans, with a couple of players booked already."

SECOND HALF

49 mins (GERMANY 1-1 CZECH REPUBLIC):

YELLOW CARD: Michael Ballack (Germany) is shown a yellow card for a trip on Radoslav Kovac (Czech Republic).

70 mins (GERMANY 1-1 CZECH REPUBLIC):

YELLOW CARD: Radoslav Kovac (Czech Republic) is booked for obstructing Lukas Podolski (Germany).

78 mins (GERMANY 1-1 CZECH REPUBLIC):

SUBSTITUTION (Germany): Lukas Podolski OFF Mario Gomez ON (tactical)

SUBSTITUTION (Czech Republic): David Jarolim OFF Lubos Kalouda ON (injury precaution)

90+1 (of 4) mins (GERMANY 1-1 CZECH REPUBLIC):

YELLOW CARD: Tomas Hubschman (Czech Republic) is booked for upending Miroslav Klose (Germany).

END OF 90 MINUTES: GERMANY 1-1 CZECH REPUBLIC

Valquez: "This means that for the first time this tournament we will head into extra time, two 15-minute periods and hopefully at the end we will have a winner."

Extra-time to follow...

EXTRA TIME

90 mins (GERMANY 1-1 CZECH REPUBLIC):

SUBSTITUTIONS (Czech Republic): Jan Koller & Tomas Rosicky OFF Martin Fenin & Jiri Jarosik ON (Injury precaution and low fitness)

HALF TIME OF EXTRA TIME

118 mins (GERMANY 1-1 CZECH REPUBLIC):

Valquez: "Ballack has the ball at his feet...he plays it wide to Frings, who takes it down the wing...then plays a long ball forward to Schneider...he gets into the box, comes together with Jankulovksi and goes down! Was that a foul? The referee thinks it was! PENALTY TO GERMANY!! With just two minutes of extra time remaining! Oh my that was an extremely harsh decision. Was there that much contact? There's bedlam surrounding the referee at the moment and choruses of boos from the Czech Republic fans! Eventually there is calm, and Michael Ballack will step up to take the penalty. Michael Ballack...

...scores! BALLACK SCORES FOR GERMANY!! High into the top right hand corner of the net! What a composed finish after all of the tension just before regarding the penalty decision! Germany won't mind however, Michael Ballack has scored the penalty and Germany lead 2-1 deep into extra time!"

Honeydew: "Football can be a cruel old game, can't it? It's very debatable as to whether that was a penalty or not, we'd need to see some extra footage. But that's a dagger to the heart for the Czech Republic, I'm fairly sure both sides were gearing up for penalties but it's a penalty in normal time that may have sealed it..."

END OF EXTRA TIME: GERMANY 2-1 CZECH REPUBLIC

GERMANY ARE INTO THE EURO 2008 SEMI-FINALS

CZECH REPUBLIC ARE OUT OF EURO 2008

Valquez: "Well, what late drama! For so long in the game it seemed that a draw was inevitable, neither was able to break the other down, but deep, deep into extra-time a Michael Ballack penalty means Germany can sneak through to the semi-finals. How much the Czechs be feeling Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "Absolutely crushed. They were so close to penalties, a bit more luck in the game and they could have got a winner. The luck was certainly against them though, as it seems that the penalty that was given, shouldn't have been. Germany get a great stroke of luck while the Czechs will have every right to be aggrieved."

Valquez: "Of course we'd don't have conclusive footage if it was or wasn't, but at first glance I may have to agree with you there, I've seen worse challenges not given for a penalty. However, it's Germany who progress through to the semi-finals to face Portugal, a clash which I'm sure we'll all look forward to. But for now, goodnight."

Overview and Match Stats

German Stats

Frings' Reaction

Czech Stats

Kinsky's Reaction

German Press' View

Czech Press' View

He was just 2 minutes away from penalties, but we must now say goodbye to dafuge as he has been knocked out of the tournament, his manager will now be retired.

EURO 2008 SEMI-FINAL DRAW

Portugal v Germany

Switzerland v Spain

------------------------

I will send you all a screenie of your teams (except haza as he isn't making (and doesn't need) to make any changes) via PM, you've got until Wednesday/Thursday to give me updated teams but you've all responded in some way today so I'm sure that deadline will be fine :) asap would be preferable.

Germany vs Czech Republic - Euro 2008 Quarter-Finals - St. Jakobspark, Basel - Sunday 22nd June 2008

Valquez: "The Germans qualified thanks to a remarkable stroke of luck after Russia came from 2-0 down to beat Italy 3-2, while the Germans got a late equaliser against Spain. On paper the Germans should win but form suggests otherwise, doesn't it Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "The Germans however have been able to do just enough so far to get through, could they get more luck today?"

Honeydew: "The luck was certainly against them though, as it seems that the penalty that was given, shouldn't have been. Germany get a great stroke of luck while the Czechs will have every right to be aggrieved."

Germans scrapping through an international tournament and having a bit of luck here and there.... and some people say FM isn't realistic!!! :D:cool:

'mon the Germans!

Portugal vs Germany - Euro 2008 Semi-Final - Stade de Suisse Wankdorf, Bern - Wednesday 25th June 2008

Valquez: "We're getting right down to the final stages, in a week's time there'll be a new European Champion. But first, one of tonight's teams will have to battle it out for a place in the final and we all expect a highly exciting encounter. Is there much to choose between Portugal and Germany Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "Portugal went so close in Euro 2004; they looked to be the ones winning but were shocked by Greece. They'll be desperate to make amends in this tournament, and just one game away from the final it's a possibility. But the Germans have been clever, they've been doing just enough to get through each round and I wouldn't bet against them. It's too close to call for me Luis!"

Valquez: "It seems then we will have to let the players on the pitch do the talking then for us! But first a quick look at the teams, starting with Portugal.

Portugal: Ricardo; Bosingwa, Valente, Carvalho, Pepe; Tiago, Moutinho; Quaresma, Deco, Ronaldo; Gomes

They stick with their 4-2-3-1 formation and make no changes for today's game.

Germany: Hildebrand; Lahm, Jansen, Mertesacker, Metzelder; Frings; Schneider, Schweinsteiger, Ballack; Klose, Gomez

The Germans make two changes; Metzelder returns from suspension in place of the injured Huth, while Gomez comes in for Podolski who drops to the bench. They also are playing the same 4-1-3-2 formation. Now onto tonight's action!"

KICK OFF

42 mins (PORTUGAL 0-0 GERMANY):

Valquez: "Moutinho's pass deflects off Frings...Ronaldo just gets to it first, quickly offloads it to Deco near the centre circle...he squares to Moutinho, who this time can find Ronaldo with a bit more space from Lahm...he can't get forward so plays it back to Moutinho, who spots the run of Valente on the wing! He's got plenty of time to put in a cross, and does so towards the front post...where Ronaldo is attacking it! RONALDO SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! Great goal! Cristiano Ronaldo made sure he got into the box after Moutinho played the ball out wide and he was rewarded with a goal, great header!It's advantage Portugal in this game, they lead by a goal to nil!"

Honeydew: "Great team move by Portugal there, the clever ball out wide by Moutinho, the run of Valente just at the right moment, and of course the movement of Ronaldo into the box, he timed his run perfectly to get his head on that! A goal worthy of such an occasion, how will the Germans respond?"

HALF TIME: PORTUGAL 1-0 GERMANY

Valquez: "Well one side is absolutely dominating, and that's Portugal. Certainly deserving of their lead aren't they Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "16 shots already in this half, only 5 on target but the Germans are nowhere. They really need to get a foothold in this game or we could hit double figures if Portugal get a bit of luck! They're playing exceptionally and their manager will want them to continue this vein of form into the second half."

Second half to come...

SECOND HALF

51 mins (PORTUGAL 1-0 GERMANY):

YELLOW CARD: Jose Bosingwa (Portugal) is booked for bodychecking Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany).

53 mins (PORTUGAL 1-0 GERMANY):

SUBSTITUTIONS (Germany): Michael Ballack & Bernd Schneider OFF Tim Borowski & Paul Freier ON (injury and tactical)

56 mins (PORTUGAL 1-0 GERMANY):

Valquez: "Borowski...plays it out wide towards Schweinsteiger...he tries to loft a short ball into the box, but Carvalho is always getting there to head it away...it's heading towards Borowski...who hits it first time! WHAT A GOAL! BOROWSKI SCORES FOR GERMANY!! A thunderbolt from 25 yards! Exactly what the doctor ordered for Germany! Carvalho's headed clearance only fell as far as Tim Borowski just outside the box, and he drove it low and hard into the bottom left hand corner of the net, no chance for Ricardo! We have game on now!"

Honeydew: "If that wasn't out of the blue I don't know what is...great finish by Borowski, he hit it perfectly, sweet and low into the corner. It is debatable as to whether Carvalho could have done a bit better instead of heading it straight into the path of a German player, but Borowski still had it all to do, and he did it. I think the German fans won't be too upset now at losing Michael Ballack to injury when his replacement has just brought them level!"

76 mins (PORTUGAL 1-1 GERMANY):

SUBSTITUTION (Portugal): Ricardo Quaresma OFF Nani ON (tactical)

77 mins (PORTUGAL 1-1 GERMANY):

Valquez: "Deco will take the corner for Portugal...he tries an out-swinger towards the front post, which meets the head of Nuno Gomes for a glancing header! NUNO GOMES SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! They've got their lead back thanks to the head of Nuno Gomes! Can Portugal keep a hold of their lead this time?"

Honeydew: "Great header by Nuno Gomes, and another goal for him this tournament. No-one was near him though to contend for the ball, the Germans may feel their marking could have been a bit better there."

81 mins (PORTUGAL 2-1 GERMANY):

YELLOW CARD: Tim Borowski (Germany) is shown a yellow card for holding onto the shirt of Tiago (Portugal).

83 mins (PORTUGAL 2-1 GERMANY):

SUBSTITUTION (Germany): Mario Gomez OFF Lukas Podolski ON (tactical)

90+1 (of 5) mins (PORTUGAL 2-1 GERMANY):

Valquez: "Freier...he tries to play the ball over the defence for Podolski to run onto...Carvalho's almost lost it! But he just manages to scoop the ball away before Podolski can get clean through...but Podolski has chased the ball down! He holds it up, and lays it back to the on running Schweinsteiger...he puts in a deep cross, towards Klose at the back post! He gets his head on it! KLOSE SCORES FOR GERMANY!! Oh my goodness! We have more late drama from the Germans! In the quarters it was a goal 2 minutes from the end of extra-time, and now in the semi-finals they've equalised in stoppage time! Miroslav Klose with the goal! A fine header at the back post, it looks like we'll be going to extra time here too!"

Honeydew: "Ricardo Carvalho has been at the centre of both German goals tonight, and really he should have done a lot better. His so-called clearance just then went no-where near Bosingwa, who I believe was the intended target! Podolski was brilliant there though, he didn't give up and it ended up with his side getting a goal. However, it does seem looking at the replays that Klose may well have been offside."

90+4 (of 5) mins (PORTUGAL 2-2 GERMANY):

Valquez: "Moutinho lays it to the right for Tiago...he plays it forward towards Nani, who can centre it quickly for Deco...he holds onto it for a second, draws out Metzelder, and can set Nuno Gomes in through a gap in the defence! Shoots! Parried away by Hildebrand! But Jansen isn't quick to react! Nani is running onto it! He's got the goal at his mercy!! NANI SCORES FOR PORTUGAL!! Stunning!! Absolutely stunning!! It's bedlam in the stadium, the Portugal fans are going mad, the players are diving on Nani in the corner of the pitch!! Hildebrand made a good block from Gomes' shot, but Jansen didn't react quick enough to clear it away, Nani beat him to the ball to slide it into an empty net from the angle! Portugal, who two minutes ago seemed to be going to extra-time, should now be going through to the Euro 2008 Final!!!"

Honeydew: "My goodness, they do say it's not over until the fat lady sings, and this game certainly wasn't over when we hit the 90 minute mark. That's absolutely crushing for the Germans, surely they can't level it up now with less than a minute to go! Pure ecstasy thoughfor the Portugal fans, it seems the super-sub Nani has put them into the final!!"

FULL TIME: PORTUGAL 3-2 GERMANY

PORTUGAL ARE INTO THE EURO 2008 FINAL

GERMANY ARE OUT OF EURO 2008

Valquez: "I think I need a moment to catch my breath after that...exhilarating action. But it's Portugal who are into the Euro 2008 Final, can they avenge their defeat on home soil in 2004?"

Honeydew: "On today's display I wouldn't put it past them. They were fantastic, and provided us with fantastic action. A word for the Germans though, they thought they'd just stolen their way into extra-time but Nani was able to have the last laugh for Portugal, but I'm sure they will understand that they better team won in the end."

Valquez: "Can tomorrow's semi-final between Switzerland and Spain live up to today's high expectations? We all hope it will. But for now, with Portugal being the first team to reach the Euro 2008 finals, goodnight."

Overview and Match Stats

Portuguese Stats

Deco's Reaction

German Stats

Frings' Reaction

Portuguese Press' View

German Press' View

After a late goal put him into the Semi's, a late one has stopped his chances of reaching the Final, so it's time for us to say goodbye to Walcott's Wonderkids as his German side are knocked out. His manager will now be retired. Congratulations to birdy123, the first manager to reach the Euro 2008 Final!

What drama in the 1st semi!

I was scrolling down the page one line at a time and when Germany equalised for the 2nd time I laughed my head off... that stopped when I saw the next paragraph!!! :(

Congrats birdy, I think over the 90 minutes you deserved it more. :thup:

Good showing from the Germans though, would have been hilarious if we had scrapped through another game and into the final.

Hopefully it will be an all Iberian final with Spain v Portugal, that would be pretty special.

Switzerland vs Spain - Euro 2008 Semi-Final - Hypo Group Arena, Klagenfurt - Thursday 26th June 2008

Valquez: "Hello, and welcome back to Austria, for the second semi-final between Switzerland and Spain. The hosts, although not playing on their own turf tonight, will be looking to shock the rest of Europe and try to make the final, of which Portugal have already qualified for. What are their chances tonight Bunsen?"

Honeydew: "They've been on impressive form this tournament, but so have Spain, and if we're being honest Spain have the better players. I can see this going two ways, Spain will dominate, or the Swiss will pull off another great performance. Before this tournament, the decision would be a no brainer, but now it's slightly more difficult!"

Valquez: "Before we begin, let us quickly take a look at the teams for tonight's game.

Switzerland: Benaglio; Degen, Magnin, Djourou, Senderos; Fernandes, Gokhan, Schwegler; Geijo, Esteban; Frei

The Swiss make no changes to their side for tonight's match, and stick with a 4-3-2-1 formation.

Spain: Casillas; Ramos, Lopez, Albiol, Puyol; Joaquin, Vicente, Iniesta, Fabregas; Torres, Raul

Spain keep their 4-4-2 formation, and make just one change, with Sergio Ramos replacing Pablo in defence, with Puyol moving into the centre of the defence. Time to kick-off!"

KICK OFF

10 mins (SWITZERLAND 0-0 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Fernandes has the ball...he lays it back to Degen, who can't get past Vicente...so plays a square ball to Inler Gokhan...Gokhan knocks the ball forward a couple of yards...hits a shot from long range, which gets a deflection off Raul Albiol!! GOKHAN SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! Inler Gokhan blasts one home from 25-yards out, with the help of a deflection off Raul Albiol! Switzerland have taken a surprise early lead here!"

Honeydew: "Great hit by Gokhan, it's a bit early to be trying shots from long range but if he can pull them off then be my guest! The deflection did help, but it seems as if Casillas would have been stranded regardless, the ball was hit so well. Switzerland have had all the early chances, and their first one on target hits the back of the net."

14 mins (SWITZERLAND 1-0 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Andres Iniesta will take the free-kick for Spain, about 30-yards from goal...curls one towards the top right hand corner! Benaglio pushes it away to his left!! Joaquin is first on the scene and attempt a shot across the face of goal! JOAQUIN SCORES FOR SPAIN!! An almost-instant reply from Spain! Iniesta's free-kick was well stopped by Benaglio, but Joaquin was quickest to react to get to the ball and slot home for Spain, this has the beginnings of a high scoring game!"

Honeydew: "Great reactions from Joaquin, he made sure he was following in, just in-case the free-kick came back towards the melee of players, and he was rewarded for his movement. And as you said Luis, is both sides can keep up this kind of player we're in for a free-scoring game."

19 mins (SWITZERLAND 1-1 SPAIN):

Valquez: "Geijo plays a low pass across to Gokhan...he plays a short ball forward to Frei, who plays it off quickly to Geijo...Puyol blocks the run of Geijo about 25 yards out to the right of the box, so he plays it square to Gokhan...he gives the ball again to Frei just outside the box, holds it up quickly from Albiol...and squares a pass to Fernandes who is running through a gap in the defence! Outmuscles Puyol and fires in a low drive! FERNANDES SCORES FOR SWITZERLAND!! The Swiss have regained the lead! A fantastic passing move, ends with Fernandes timing his run and just getting ahead of Puyol to slide the ball home past Casillas in a one-on-one situation. That's his first ever goal for Switzerland as well!!"

Honeydew: "That really sums up their tournament there, beautiful football ending in a goal. When they were unable to go one way, such as Geijo trying to get past Puyol initially to the right of the box, they layed it back to Gokhan, who's been bossing the central midfield, who found Frei for a different point of attack, and it led to a goal. Great stuff."

HALF TIME: SWITZERLAND 2-1 SPAIN

Valquez: "The Swiss are doing it again! It's a very even game but at the moment Switzerland are edging it 2-1. Will they be able to keep a hold of this?"

Honeydew: "In the grand scheme of things this is still seen as a bit of a shock, though this performance is typical of Switzerland of this tournament. The Spanish manager will be looking for his side to assert their dominance and show that they are the better team, at the moment they are on a par with Switzerland. But no disrespect to the Swiss; they're raised their game and we're watching two very good teams out there, the second half will be interesting."

Archived