My Greatest Challenge: Knocking Fergie Right Off His ****ing Perch. And You Can Print That

AK22

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, this Franco guy is such a beast.

He's been pretty special this season :D

Prior to this year, though, he was struggling to get into the team, as I wasn't playing with wingers. Since the change in formation, he's been absolutely thriving!

Seems you're sliding back in the HoF. Are the Brazilian comps not giving you many points?

Yes, it feels like it. I only get 80-odd points for the Brazilian title, so I'll be looking on returning to Europe ASAP where the bigger HoF points are.

My contract is now up with Palmeiras, and I've decided against renewing it any further.

yySm9XR.png?1

lh0nqdp.png?1

Three seasons is a long time in Brazil, especially when you're competing in about eighty matches across the year. Factor in that I'm losing ground in the Hall of Fame too, I can't really afford to hang around here for much longer. That said, I've had a pleasant time with Palmeiras, enjoying a decent amount of success, and restoring the club back to it's former glory.

X9maouv.png?1

Looking forward to seeing where you go :cool: I agree 3 seasons is a long time, you are playing all but a few weeks of the year and when you have an aim like you have then the points to manage getting far in the hall of fame aren't easy to come by and certainly don't tally up quickly.

Thanks Mattias, I'm pleased it's keeping you occupied at work :D

It's definitely been quite an adventure, although I can't say I'm convinced I'll get to the top of the Hall of Fame before the release of FM14, especially as I'm not getting through the season as quickly as I would like. Never say never, though, as I'll continue to battle on :)

I know the feeling! Since I became a father Ive found my time in short supply. Even before the birth of my son, it takes me ages just to get through blooming pre-season as I get a bit OCD over transfer targets etc. I tend to have on average just 2 saves per FM as I get so into a save. Never one for starting new saves every two minutes.

Keep up the thread buddy, really enjoying it! Now gonna have a catch up and see how its going. May have to try anouther country if the points are not adding up well (if you already have not).

Totally agree. The game does seem to overact to every defeat to a rival, whether they're you're main city rival or someone 100 miles away. Not good when you're playing 'a rival' virtually every week!

That's the truth my friend. Every derby loss ignites a crisis in teams here in Brazil :D

Cheers,

Bitner

• 4 weeks later...

XDlbr0r.png

Newcastle United F.C.

I was happy to bide my time before signing up with a new club. Offers from América (Mexico) and Nancy (France) were decent enough, and fairly tempting, but it wasn't until March that the offer from Newcastle came my way; an offer that I was eager to accept. Surprisingly, with just seven matches of their Championship campaign remaining, currently sitting fifth in the table, the Newcastle chairman decided to sack their incumbent manager, and roll the dice to see if a new man could guarantee promotion to the Premier League. He's certainly happy to put his money where his mouth is too, offering me a £59k per week five year contract, with a £20m transfer budget and a wage budget a £825k per week. Not too shabby for a side in the second tier of English football, although expectations are that we reach the promised land come whatever.

Formed in 1892, by the merger of the West End and East End clubs, Newcastle have often been a team that has promised much, but rarely delivered the success expected by their fan base. That said, in the English Football League's infancy, Newcastle quickly became the dominant side of early 1900's, winning the league title in 1905, 1907 and 1909, helped by a promising squad of players known for their artistic play, combining team-work and quick, short passing. They also made five FA Cup Final appearances between the years of 1905-1911, lifting the trophy in 1910. Success dwindled somewhat after this golden era of players had retired, but they did return to the FA Cup Final in 1924, beating Aston Villa to claim their second success in this competition. Three years later (1927), another league title was won, a league title that would prove to be their last for well over a hundred years.

A period of decline happened in the 1930's, which saw the team relegated to the second tier, a division where they would stay until after the end of the Second World War. Finally, in 1948, the club managed to re-establish itself as a First Division team, although it was never reclaimed the dominance enjoyed at the turn of the century. In fact, during the 1960's, 1980's and 1990's, the club suffered prolonged spells back in the Second Division, and it wasn't until appointment of Kevin Keegan as manager in 1992 that Newcastle, once again, became a force to be reckoned with in English football, where they finished Premier League runners-up in 1996 and 1997 (1996 being the year of infamous 'I will love it if we beat them' rant).

LNwMpNq.png?1

Originally, the club's colour where red shirts and white shorts, before the infamous black and white stripes where adopted in 1894 (these had been used as reserve team colours). In contrast to the consistent home kit colours, the away strip has constantly changed design over the years, with the team playing in a varieties of colours (white, yellow, red, blue, yellow, grey).

The club is privileged to be one of England's most supported teams, followed up and down the country by the vocal 'Toon Army', in addition to regularly selling-out their home fixtures. Their main rivals are Sunderland, against whom the Tyne-Wear derby is fiercely competed.

iNth23l.jpg?2

Club Overview | General Club Information | Facilities | Club Background | Finances | Championship Table (as it stands)

As you would expect, the club is well set up behind the scenes, and should easily be capable of being competitive in the Premier League. Of course, we've got to get there first, and with Hull already looking a shoe-in for lifting the Championship trophy, we're going to have quite a fight on our hands for the remaining automatic promotion place.

Looking forward to seeing where you go :cool: I agree 3 seasons is a long time, you are playing all but a few weeks of the year and when you have an aim like you have then the points to manage getting far in the hall of fame aren't easy to come by and certainly don't tally up quickly.
Well done on another title AK. Interesting to see where you end up next...
Enjoy your hols, and your new club.
I know the feeling! Since I became a father Ive found my time in short supply. Even before the birth of my son, it takes me ages just to get through blooming pre-season as I get a bit OCD over transfer targets etc. I tend to have on average just 2 saves per FM as I get so into a save. Never one for starting new saves every two minutes.

Keep up the thread buddy, really enjoying it! Now gonna have a catch up and see how its going. May have to try anouther country if the points are not adding up well (if you already have not).

That's the truth my friend. Every derby loss ignites a crisis in teams here in Brazil :D

Cheers,

Bitner

Loving this thread - look forward to further updates. Enjoy your hols.
Just read through this all (admittedly for the second or third time, I love reading career updates), keep up the cracking work! Can't wait to see where you end up next. :)

I'm back!! Thanks for all the comments too :)

I've got a lot of catching up to do; real life, and on the forums. So please bear with!

XDlbr0r.png

Newcastle - March, April & May 2043

With just seven games left to play, it was crucial that I made a successful start to my career as Newcastle manager. We started off with a thrilling 3-3 draw with Everton; not quite the début win I was after, but at least it showed that we have no problems finding the net. However, this result also highlighted the team's defensive frailty, as we contrived to throw away a three goal advantage in the last half an hour of the game. Following this, an anchor man was deployed in midfield, which had the desired affect, as five consecutive victories couple with clean sheets followed.

In the end, promotion to the Premier League was achieved without issue, and with a game to spare. How my predecessor managed to lose thirteen games is beyond me, as the players in the squad are easily amongst the best in the division, and should have really won the league. That said, I'm encouraged by what I've seen, and feel fairly confident that we should be able to hold our own in the top tier.

LUPXscH.png?1

TmuJb6S.png?1

N8oPpzf.png?1

bdpTPmO.png?1

0rDdbTc.png?1

WKWD5HH.png?1

huFQzvu.png?1

7AR6jqz.png?1

LqTI8dJ.png?1

Well that was quick! :thup:. Like you said, you should be ok in the Prem. How high you can finish though is the question as the Toon are clearly a team with a massive amount of potential. Hopefully you can bring back the days of Shearer, Asprilla, Ginola, Beardsley and Ferdinand. I used to love watching that side.

XDlbr0r.png

Newcastle United - Pre-Season 2043/44

Having only spent seven games at the club, I've resisted the urge to write up an end of season report, deciding the plough straight into the new season. I've now completed 30 years in my career, and I will need to draw on all my experience to ensure I keep Newcastle in the Premier League, which is all the Board expects from the season ahead. We'll receive ÂŁ56.68m of TV revenue over the coming year too, but disappointingly, I will only see a fraction of this in transfer funds; my originally agreed budgets were ÂŁ9m for transfers, and ÂŁ850k per week for wages, although I have now adjusted these to allow more money for new signings.

L59TU48.png?1

Slightly surprising is the media's prediction that we'll finish 18th. I appreciate we're one of the newly promoted sides, but with the squad and resources available to us, it would be extremely disappointing to find ourselves in the bottom three come the end of the season. In fact, I would be mortified if this turns out to be the case. With title odds at 2000-1, it might even be worth bunging a cheeky tenner on us! :p

6doFxkw.png?1

ejcXTB6.png?1

It's been a fairly hectic summer, with lots going on in the transfer market. With a new division to get to grips with, reinforcements were necessary to ensure the level of quality in the squad is improved, and that we can remain competitive with the teams around us. Our stand-out signing is Zdenek Martin, an attacking midfielder who will play in 'the hole' behind the striker, and is likely to be our biggest attacking threat. This will mean a slight tinker in formation, as we'll end playing more of a 4-4-1-1 system, but as our most talented player, we really need to be accommodating him in his best position.

Jordan Parr - A good all-round central midfielder, who's British and will help with 'home-grown' requirements.

Max Lemoine - Signed from the Belgium Pro League; full of pace and aggression.

Vratislav Janecek - Brought in the shore up the defence. Pretty decent but no means amazing.

Francisco Alves - This was the best I could do for a left-back. Average at best.

Wolfgang Najemnik - Will be a back-up striker. He's strong, and good in the air, so should offer a Plan B.

Sam Jenkins - Potentially, a future target man. No real chance of first team action this season, though.

Zdenek Martin - Should be the pick of the bunch. An exciting attacking midfielder.

Jean Ngassam - More reinforcements in the centre of midfield.

David Hutcheon - A free transfer, who's experience should be an asset.

Well done storming to promotion.
Ah, the other Newcastle.

Well done going up.

Nice to see you back! Well done on a swift promotion :thup:
Congrats on promotion :thup:
Well that was quick! :thup:. Like you said, you should be ok in the Prem. How high you can finish though is the question as the Toon are clearly a team with a massive amount of potential. Hopefully you can bring back the days of Shearer, Asprilla, Ginola, Beardsley and Ferdinand. I used to love watching that side.

Thanks all :thup: I'm hoping for a relatively safe mid-table finish from the season ahead, followed by another year of consolidation. After that, I'll be hoping to break into the top half, although I don't think we'll be playing the swashbuckling 'score one more than you' style of the Keegan era! :D

XDlbr0r.png

Newcastle United - Aug, Sep, Oct and Nov 2043

It's been a bit of a mixed bag, but early signs suggests we should be able to hold our own in the Premier League. We started our campaign with an opening day victory against Cardiff, setting us up nicely with an early three points on the board; it will be the results against these kind of teams that will determine how we fair this season. Further positive results followed, with victories over Derby and Reading, making it three wins out of four Premier League fixtures, although I still can't excuse the inexplicable shambles that was the Capital Cup defeat to Hereford; they've recently been promoted to the Championship, and really shouldn't have caused any kind of threat to us at St. James' Park. A total shower of ****!

Following the Reading match, things got a lot more tricky, with points a lot harder to come by; I suppose the honeymoon period had worn off by then. Aside from the excellent performance against Huddersfield, we had a horrible run of results, which saw the team huff and puff with very little success, despite making a very good accounts of ourselves on the visit to Arsenal; unfortunately, you don't get any points for spirited displays! Thankfully, eventually, we managed to get our act together, stealing a much needed victory in injury time at Anfield to stop the rot; Liverpool are very much a mid-table club now, but it was still a fantastic result. This was followed by a win in the Tyne-Tees derby, pleasing the fans, and seeing us climb into the relative safety of the top half of the table.

0ZqSXy5.png?1

FyacP0j.png?1

v2Mif3R.png?1

​Next Time

Of course, there's a lot of football to be played, but I would say we're probably about half way to safety; we just need to carry on at our current point per game ratio for the rest of the season and we'll be fine. That said, we don't have the easiest run of fixtures coming up, with five of our next seven games away from home, and the two games at St. James' Park being against Tottenham and Chelsea; we'll do extremely well to take any points off of those two.

XDlbr0r.png

Newcastle United - Dec, Jan & Feb 2043/44

We're still trudging along, picking up the odd victory every now and then, which seems to be doing just enough to keep us ticking over. Actually, I may be being overly modest here, as we've been extremely difficult to beat over the course of the winter period, only losing in the league to Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City (the top three sides), so we're probably good value for the eighth place we currently occupy.

Having initially struggled for goals in the early part of the season, we seem to be a little more prolific now, finding the net three times in five games over this period. We're still heavily reliant on Zdenek Martin, though, who's chipped in with 16 goals this term already; that's almost half our overall total. Others are starting to get in the act now, but it's apparent that we're extremely dependant on one player; this will be fine for the rest of this season, but will certainly need reviewing come the summer.

Ballon d'Or Winner - Marco Haushahn (one of my former Dortmund players who's gone on to big things)

d0tELzb.png?1

tmCHTSJ.png?1

1PoMY9z.png?1

1Z76sPV.png?1

​Next Time

We'll go into the spring period knowing that we're near enough safe from relegation, and can look to play out the remaining games without too much riding on the results. I'd like to maintain our top half position, but won't be overly concerned if we slip down the table a bit, as long as it doesn't involve a complete derailment. There's still some exciting games to play, including home and away encounters against Manchester United. We'll also host Liverpool at St. James' too.

Surprising to see Mansfield in the EPL, a lot of **** can happen within 30 years. Not a bad start, some unnecessary losses though.

I was surprised to see Mansfield there too, but they've been on a steep upward curve for the last ten years or so.

1RvpEPv.png?1

This is truly inspirational. So much so, that I've decided to dedicate my final few months on FM13 to a similar game. Thanks for that.

That's very kind of you to say that. Thank you! :o

Doing very well so far in the PL.

Thanks! Yeah, we've been doing well. Probably slightly better than I had originally hoped for too, as we've been nowhere near the relegation battle.

XDlbr0r.png

Newcastle United - March, April & May 2044

There's been some more great results in the final few months of the season, with the brilliant double league victories over Manchester United standing out the most. The final day result at Old Trafford was probably our finest moment of the season, denying The Red Devils Champions League football, and confirming our status as a plucky top half Premier League side. In fact, finishing the year off with three straight victories has given me great hope that we'll be able to maintain this kind of performance in the season ahead too.

You may have noticed that lack of contributions from our goal-machine, Zdenek Martin, who tore his hamstring in the match at home to Man Utd. This injury put him out for the rest of the season, and was a real concern to me when it happened, especially when considering the effect he had on performances up to that point. Fortunately, the rest of the squad pulled together, and despite there being no stand out performer, we managed to scrape together enough creativity and firepower to cover for his absence and see us through to the end of the season.

4gum9tj.png?1

UjUXnpi.png?1

o9Ju1pd.png?1

Martin is scoring very well, he has great stats and seems to be finishing better than his 10 would suggest. What role do you give him AK, IF/Attack?

I play him as an attacking midfielder (attack). His finishing isn't great, but just has the knack of finding himself in the right place at the right time. He's also a demon free-kick taker, which is a huge help.

Not only have Mansfield shot up the leagues, they've established themselves in the Premier League too.

Quite a success story they've turned out to be, even qualifying for the Europa League last season.

Going very nicely, would a European place be desirable at this point? or looking to build a better squad before having a heavy fixture list?

We were just a point off qualifying for the Europa League. I'm pretty glad we didn't, as we don't have the depth of squad to be consistently playing twice a week, and I'm sure our Premier League results would have suffered. Another year in the top half would suit, before thinking about European action.

XDlbr0r.png

Newcastle - End of Season 2043/44

Our first season in the Premier League has pretty much gone to plan, although a top half finish is certainly better than I had anticipated. I never really expected to be in the relegation battle, but also didn't expect us to finish just a point off Europa League qualification; things are starting to look up again at St. James' Park!

zqb615r.png?1

lQjNymQ.png?1

BWioZY9.png?1

We've had a profitable season, so I'm keen to see if this will mean a higher transfer budget next season. However, knowing Newcastle chairman, I'm not holding my breath!

Premier League - 7th

FA Cup - 5th Round

Capital One Cup - 2nd Round

Finances | Transfer Summary

Top Goalscorer - Zdenek Martin (16 goals)

Most Assists - Zdenek Martin (10 assists)

Highest Average Rating - Zdenek Martin (7.73)

Fans Player of the Year - Zdenek Martin

1fFILu3.png?1

Its obviously apparent that Zdanek Martin has been pivotal to our success this season; he's been brilliant, and a player of real class, so its no real surprise that he picked up the Football Writers Footballer of the Year award. He also earned Premier League 'Signing of the Season', making a mockery of the ÂŁ4.8m we paid for him in the summer.

Of course, no team can afford to be 100% reliant on one player, and this was proven when Martin caused himself a mischief and missed the last ten games of the season. Janecek has been a pillar of strength in defence, with Musemic and Najemnik making solid attacking contributions, but its clear that we'll need more players in a similar ilk to Martin if we're to majorly improve on what we already have in the squad.

VODuWd3.png?1

RkiqGIf.png?1

VJHUI4M.png?1

Fergie/José Watch

Of course, no trophies for me this season:

QEtSIIE.png?1

It's starting to look very close between 3rd and 7th. I'll need to win something soon to stay in touch.

bSqEXlY.jpg?1

rub6YVT.jpg?1

Season     Team              League                     Finish    Cups                             
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2013       FK Vidar          Oddsenligaen Avdeling 3    4th       Cupen 1st Round
2014       FK Vidar          Oddsenligaen Avdeling 3    2nd       Cupen 2nd Round
2014/15    Taranto FC 1927   2nd Divisione Girone A     4th       N/A
2015/16    Taranto FC 1927   1st Divisione Girone B     6th       TIM Cup 1st QR, Coppa Italia Lega Pro SF
2016/17    Taranto FC 1927   1st Divisione Girone B     4th       TIM Cup 1st QR, Coppa Italia Lega Pro 2nd Round
2017/18    Taranto FC 1927   1st Divisione Girone B     N/A*      * Resigned 14/12/17
          Tigre             Primera B Nacional         11th      Sacked 26/05/18
2018/19    S. Urfaspor       1. Lig                     1st       TĂŒrkiye Kupasi 2nd QR
2019/20    S. Urfaspor       SĂŒper Lig                  8th       TĂŒrkiye Kupasi 2nd QR
2020/21    S. Urfaspor       SĂŒper Lig                  N/A*      * Resigned 12/01/21
          Rangers           Scottish Premier League    2nd       Scottish League Cup Winner, Scottish FA Cup SF
2021/22    Rangers           Scottish Premier League    2nd       Scottish FA Cup Winner, Scottish League Cup QF
2022/23    Rangers           Scottish Premier League    1st       Scottish League Cup Winner, Scottish FA Cup QF
2023/24    Rangers           Scottish Premier League    1st       Scottish League Cup Winner, Scottish FA Cup 4R, CL 1st KO
2024       Toronto           MLS                        8th       N/A
2025       Toronto           MLS                        N/A       * Resigned 16/03/25
2024/25    Betis             La Liga                    11th      N/A
2025/26    Betis             La Liga                    4th       Copa del Rey 4th Round
2026/27    Betis             La Liga                    3rd       Champions League Last 16, Copa del Rey 5th Round
2027/28    Betis             La Liga                    3rd       Europa League Winner, Copa del Rey Winner
2028/29    Betis             La Liga                    3rd       Champions League QF, Copa del Rey QF
2029/30    Betis             La Liga                    3rd       Champions League SF, Copa del Rey SF
2030/31    Dortmund          Bundesliga                 7th       N/A
2031/32    Dortmund          Bundesliga                 2nd       DFB Pokal 2nd Round
2032/33    Dortmund          Bundesliga                 2nd       Champions League Winner, DFB Pokal Winner
2033/34    Dortmund          Bundesliga                 1st       Champions League Winner, DFB Pokal Winner, CWC Winner, German SC
2034/35    Dortmund          Bundesliga                 2nd       Champions League 1st KO, DFB Pokal Winner, Euro SC, German SC
2035/36    Dortmund          Bundesliga                 2nd       Champions League Winner, DFB Pokal 2nd Rd, German SC
2036/37    Dortmund          Bundesliga                 2nd       DFB Pokal Winner, Europa League Runner-Up, CWC Winner, Euro SC
2037/38    Dortmund          Bundesliga                 1st       Champions League Winner, DFB Pokal 2nd Rd, German SC
2038/39    Dortmund          Bundesliga                 1st       Champions League Winner, DFB Pokal 3rd Rd, CWC Winner
2040       Palmeiras         BrasileirĂŁo                3rd       PaulistĂŁo Quarter Final, Copa do Brasil 4th Round
2041       Palmeiras         BrasileirĂŁo                1st       PaulistĂŁo Winner, Copa do Brasil Quarter Final
2042       Palmeiras         BrasileirĂŁo                1st       PaulistĂŁo Runner-Up, Copa do Brasil Runner-Up
2042/43    Newcastle         Championship               2nd*      * Only final seven games    
2043/44    Newcastle         Premier League             7th       FA Cup 5th Round, Capital One Cup 2nd Round

XDlbr0r.png

Newcastle United - Pre-Season 2044/45

I'll be keen to avoid 'second season syndrome' and build on our performance of last year. Realistically, I'm looking for another top half finish, something that should be attainable if we have luck in our favour and remain injury free. The Board seem to agree, with their minimum expectation being a top half finish too. This brings a transfer budget of ÂŁ9.52m, which is not half as much as I was expecting to receive, and will make improving the squad difficult.

YS9ZtAa.png?1

The media have us down to finish 13th, which tends to suggest we may struggle to meet what is expected of us. Title odds are 33-1, which are a huge improvement on last year's, but still considerable outsiders (Man City are at Evens, and favourites). Unfortunately, our friendly results have been on the disappointing side, with extremely meek performances against Lumezzane and West Ham; I just hope this doesn't roll forward to the start of our Premier League campaign.

spkgyRD.png?1

UjHrLUS.png?1

YI1Vfbh.png?1

Again, it's been another busy summer transfer window, with twelve new signings joining the squad. Unfortunately, due to the lack of transfer budget, only three or four of the incoming players are likely to be regular first team fixtures, with the rest being youngsters who have the potential to improve over the coming years. At times, I've become extremely frustrated with how the summer has panned out, as it's apparent we've still got some major weaknesses in the squad which I've been unable to improve upon. That said, we've still been able to sign two Premier League quality players in Ivanov and GĂłmez, and I look forward to them improving our fortunes in front of goal.

Bozidar Jankovic - A young left winger, brought in as back-up.

Miguel Caballero - Tall and strong, he should develop into a solid front man.

Kiwa Kudimbana - Huge potential, and will become our back-up 'keeper.

Sergiy Ivanov - Another exciting attacking midfielder. He'll cover for Martin, but may also start in a deeper position.

Dieudonné Tall - Potentially, this young French winger could turn out to be class.

Alessio Battistini - A bargain free transfer. Will be a regularly starter.

Keith Weston - Will provide cover in midfield. And he's British.

Jackson Hall - Another young 'keeper.

Mateo GĂłmez - Big money spent on this man. Hopefully, he'll be the talisman we were missing last season.

Lukas Franc - Not an exciting signing, but should be decent enough.

Joseba Padilla - Should turn out to be a handy loan signing.

XDlbr0r.png

Newcastle United - Aug, Sep, Oct and Nov 2044

We've started the new season in good form, riding high in fourth place, having lost just three league games so far. We're not quite as defensively sound as I would have liked, with just the one clean sheet, but going forward, we've seemed to have acquired the ability to outscore our opposition (Keegan-esque :D). In particular, the results at home to Liverpool, Tottenham and Chelsea show the improvement made, as well as the potential for us to be able to mix it up with the big boys this season.

The signing of Mateo GĂłmez has already made a huge difference, linking well with Zdenek Martin; they're starting to form a prolific partnership, which I hope will keep us at the business end of the table. I'm certainly not expecting to maintain our challenge for Champions League football, but, based on early season form, I still hope to achieve a top six finish. Disappointingly, we suffered an upset in the Capital One Cup, having been knocked out at Colchester (League One opposition). I had played a slightly weakened side, but that still should have been enough to see us through to the next round of a competition I had high aspirations for.

gDSW4YB.png?1

pjuNcjB.png?1

​Next Time

The winter period starts with us travelling to Arsenal, another team competing in the top six. Man Utd visit St. James' Park in the week before Christmas, looking to maintain their position as leaders; I'd love it if we beat them. We'll also travel to Anfield in the New Year, hoping to repeat our fantastic performance of last season. On top of all of this, we'll kick off our FA Cup campaign, away to Walsall.

Archived