FM13: Borussia Dortmund - Echte Liebe.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

who's a decent replacement for lewandowski? i just finished my first season and i'm selling him to psg for £34 million. i've been thinking about moving reus up forward to play as a deep lying forward and getting holtby in on the left. anyone have any experience with that?

who's a decent replacement for lewandowski? i just finished my first season and i'm selling him to psg for £34 million. i've been thinking about moving reus up forward to play as a deep lying forward and getting holtby in on the left. anyone have any experience with that?

If you want a german player then Volland is your man. If you want someone else then you can grab Fierro, Destro, Aspas, Caprari, or Jovetic.

Reus seems to do the job too, but I will invest in getting Schürrle instead of Holtby (Schalke).

As tim wrote, Volland is excellent but very expensive. If you want to go the unkown route then Artur Sobiech(Hannover) could make the grade. Risky though.

Foreign players who are made for the role are Negredo, Benteke, Wilfried, Rondon etc. Reus is excellent upfront, but he doesn't have the physical presence of Lew.

What would the transfer budget be in 2013 (with first window budgets turned off) on the latest patch? I assume because of how well run the club is you can expect a transfer budget of between £12m-£20m most summers, but never much more?

What would the transfer budget be in 2013 (with first window budgets turned off) on the latest patch? I assume because of how well run the club is you can expect a transfer budget of between £12m-£20m most summers, but never much more?

I think it varies how well you do during the season.

Just about to start a save myself now. Thinking on adopting the policy of only signing German players. Make it abit different to the rest of the saves that I do.

Good luck :)

Just about to start a save myself now. Thinking on adopting the policy of only signing German players. Make it abit different to the rest of the saves that I do.

That is the best policy to use at any time when playing FM. I'm currently in my 3rd season with BVB and admittedly I had to bring in Oscar Cardozo from abroad in my first season but other than him I have kept every other signing from Germany. If you do need to go abroad seriously have a look in the Turkish nationality market. Players bed in really well in the Bundesliga. Make sure you use your youth system to its fullest capabilities also before venturing into the transfer market.

Just started a Dortmund save as I've never really had a good go in the German league. I've been looking at some striker cover in Vossen and am looking for some cover out in the wide areas. I noticed Herrmann was mentioned in the OP, has anyone given him a shot? I'm trying to keep it as German at the core as I can. There may be a few exceptions, like Vossen who has been excellent and a bargain for me in the past, but ideally, I'd like to build through the youth and buy young when I do.

Just started a Dortmund save as I've never really had a good go in the German league. I've been looking at some striker cover in Vossen and am looking for some cover out in the wide areas. I noticed Herrmann was mentioned in the OP, has anyone given him a shot? I'm trying to keep it as German at the core as I can. There may be a few exceptions, like Vossen who has been excellent and a bargain for me in the past, but ideally, I'd like to build through the youth and buy young when I do.

The german players I have indentified as targets for Dortmund are Heitz(Kaiserslauten), Volland(Hoffenheim), Kluse(Cannot actually remember who he plays for!), Goretzka(Bochum- Must buy, can get him for 4.5m Euros).

I'm not sure I would bother with Herrmann when you have Bittencourt. Leitner could replace Gotze as your AM. I myself am trying to keep a German/Polish/Croatian core. Artur Sobiech looks a decent Lewandowski replacement.

The german players I have indentified as targets for Dortmund are Heitz(Kaiserslauten), Volland(Hoffenheim), Kluse(Cannot actually remember who he plays for!), Goretzka(Bochum- Must buy, can get him for 4.5m Euros).

I'm not sure I would bother with Herrmann when you have Bittencourt. Leitner could replace Gotze as your AM. I myself am trying to keep a German/Polish/Croatian core. Artur Sobiech looks a decent Lewandowski replacement.

Really tempted by Goretzka because he was amazing for me in my Everton save, but just not sure I've got room in midfield for him, what with Gundogan, Sahin, Kehl, Leitner, and Bender. I was thinking about Bittencourt replacing Gotze, with Leitner farther back at CM. Is Leitner a good choice for AMR? He appears a more central player to me.

How much does Volland usually go for? I've heard he's quite pricey.

Well since I play Gotze centrally, then Leitner would be more a replacement than Bitterncourt. Less creative than Gotze, but Gundogan/Sahin can take care of that. Leitner's more direct I gess. Goretzka is only 17/18, so I would say you have more than enough room for him. Kehl is getting on, and Goretzka is future German world class midfielder. Get him anyway.

Volland can go for up to £25m, depending.

Just started a new game, delved in to the editor and set Gotze as a future transfer (£32m) to Bayern. I've not touched Pep as in 90% of my saves he ends up at Bayern anyway.

Am I correct in thinking Lewandowski has 2 years left on his contract? I'm hopefully going to play him for a year then cash in.

Am I correct in thinking Lewandowski has 2 years left on his contract? I'm hopefully going to play him for a year then cash in.

Yes, his deal expires in 2014. I got a good season out of him before selling him abroard for £35million. :thup:

Yes, his deal expires in 2014. I got a good season out of him before selling him abroard for £35million. :thup:

Thanks for the quick reply. On an Inter save I have Barcelona bought him for £45m in the first season so fingers crossed I get an offer like that. I'm pretty sure Dortmund replaced him with Falcao for half the price, and he subsequently averaged 1.3 goals per game and had won them the treble by the 3rd season.

Re-booted FM2013 recently purely to start up a Dortmund save and play some fancy football.

Made me realise how little depth they have, but still how incredible the first team is. Managed the treble in the first season, coming from 2-0 down in the CL semi-final against Barcelona to win 4-2 with a Julian Schieber double from the bench! (he was a definite summer sale til that happened!) Lewandowski hit 44 goals in all comps & Reus managed about 35 assists (half of them were ifk's/corners on to the head of Hummels/Santana).

Trying to keep it real (ish), playing the Dortmund way & looking for young German/Bundesliga talent to replace the outgoing Lewandowski & for other areas. However Gotze's transfer wasn't in my current update, and I don't really want to sell...

Anyway, now in summer transfer window of 2013, signed:

Mhiktaryan 7.75m (couldn't resist, one of my favourite players...)

Goretzka (5.5m)

Koo Ja-Cheol (CM 1.7m)

Kevin Volland (10m over 24 months)

Sahin permanent (5.25m)

As well as my typical free transfer bargains

Douglas (Twente CB)

Ospina (young GK)

Keisuke Honda

Michael Keane (I'm a United fan)

Estigarribia (LB/LW who was on loan at Sampdoria), so good left-sided back up and signed on very low wages.

Biggest transfer targets are Son Heung Min (HSV striker), Danny Welbeck, Julian Draxler, Thomas Muller (however unlikely).

I'd like to think Son Heung Min can be a Lewandowski replacement, based on his stats and how impressive he's been in real life, but HSV are proving impossible to negotiate with even though he only scored once for them last season. Welbeck usually becomes surplus to requirements at United and I've never actually bought him yet so that's another possibility.

Don't think Muller will ever happen though, Bayern just accepted 34m from Man City but want us to pay 81m.

Anyway, my biggest dilemma now is whether to sell Lewandowski this summer or not. He won Bundesliga player of the season last season and the European golden boot for domestic leagues, so there's really no one who can replace him. I was hoping for Falcao who was initially rejecting a new contract at Atletico but eventually signed in June and is no longer interested in a move. I rejected a 40m offer from Barcelona in at the start of July which I'm now regretting because they are no longer interested & I don't think I'll get an offer that high again.

Safe to say I'm sufficiently addicted again.

Does anyone have any experience of trying to sign Muller? I'm thinking I might be best off leaving him to go to City in the hope that they under-use him and put him up for sale after a couple of years ala Dzeko.

Just realised the fans think my sale of Grosskreutz was an aberration....I love the guy but he was the only non-first teamer anyone was interested in for a decent amount of cash and he needed at least some transfer funds.

Ok, bit the bullet, managed to get £47.5m (€55m) out of Barcelona for Lewandowski so nearly 50m burning a hole in my pocket. Jovetic is the main target as Muller is a no chance.

When did you sell Lewandowski at the start of the save or in the summer of 2013 where he has a year left ?

When did you sell Lewandowski at the start of the save or in the summer of 2013 where he has a year left ?

Towards the end of summer 2013 (early august). He scored 44 goals in 2012/13 and I really didn't want to sell. I'd rejected bids of 35-40m earlier in the summer but he was 'unhappy' and constantly complaining so I was worried that might affect his form.

Signed Jovetic for 21.5m as a replacement. Perhaps not needed, won first game of the season 3-0 with Gotze as a false 9, Mkhitaryan attacking from deep & Reus + Kuba as inside forwards on the wings. Welbeck came off the bench to replace Reus as the left sided forward & caused all sorts of trouble scoring the last goal.

Re-booted FM2013 recently purely to start up a Dortmund save and play some fancy football.

Made me realise how little depth they have, but still how incredible the first team is. Managed the treble in the first season, coming from 2-0 down in the CL semi-final against Barcelona to win 4-2 with a Julian Schieber double from the bench! (he was a definite summer sale til that happened!) Lewandowski hit 44 goals in all comps & Reus managed about 35 assists (half of them were ifk's/corners on to the head of Hummels/Santana).

Trying to keep it real (ish), playing the Dortmund way & looking for young German/Bundesliga talent to replace the outgoing Lewandowski & for other areas. However Gotze's transfer wasn't in my current update, and I don't really want to sell...

Anyway, now in summer transfer window of 2013, signed:

Mhiktaryan 7.75m (couldn't resist, one of my favourite players...)

Goretzka (5.5m)

Koo Ja-Cheol (CM 1.7m)

Kevin Volland (10m over 24 months)

Sahin permanent (5.25m)

As well as my typical free transfer bargains

Douglas (Twente CB)

Ospina (young GK)

Keisuke Honda

Michael Keane (I'm a United fan)

Estigarribia (LB/LW who was on loan at Sampdoria), so good left-sided back up and signed on very low wages.

Biggest transfer targets are Son Heung Min (HSV striker), Danny Welbeck, Julian Draxler, Thomas Muller (however unlikely).

I'd like to think Son Heung Min can be a Lewandowski replacement, based on his stats and how impressive he's been in real life, but HSV are proving impossible to negotiate with even though he only scored once for them last season. Welbeck usually becomes surplus to requirements at United and I've never actually bought him yet so that's another possibility.

Don't think Muller will ever happen though, Bayern just accepted 34m from Man City but want us to pay 81m.

Anyway, my biggest dilemma now is whether to sell Lewandowski this summer or not. He won Bundesliga player of the season last season and the European golden boot for domestic leagues, so there's really no one who can replace him. I was hoping for Falcao who was initially rejecting a new contract at Atletico but eventually signed in June and is no longer interested in a move. I rejected a 40m offer from Barcelona in at the start of July which I'm now regretting because they are no longer interested & I don't think I'll get an offer that high again.

Safe to say I'm sufficiently addicted again.

I've had Estigarribia on a few saves, he usually signs for something ridiculous like £3.3k p/w (He did on an Inter save I had) and then averages well over 7+ ratings all season.

Who does everyone play at Left Back? I know Schmelzer is first-choice there but is there any decent back up? Right now I'm looking at Gokhan Gonul of Fenerbache but he's 27 and would cost around £8m.

I'm trying to sign Goretzka, but Bochum want "too much" according to my DOF so I may have to go over his head and buy him myself. I've also got Alen Halihovic coming in from Dinamo for £1m, and I've signed Mihai Balasa from Viitorul Constanta for £35k, I have high hopes for him.

Too much? Yeah, just do it yourself. He's available at around £4-5m, and well worth every penny.

I play Schmelzer at LB, and just hope he doesn't get injured!

Yeah I'll have to sell to buy, probably, but I can see Goretzka as an integral part of the future. I'm looking at Masilela as cover for Schmelzer, I can buy him for £900,000 and relatively cheap wages so I'm going to do that. If Schmezler got a long-term injury we'd be hard pushed to compete on all fronts so Masilela will provide peace of mind.

Managed to sneak a win against Bayern in the Super Cup! We won 1-0 courtesy of a Gotze goal from a superb counter attack, it was a close game as we both set out to attack/counter each other and on another day it could have easily been 4-4!

I also managed to beat Aachen in the Cup, 1-0, although I played a lot of youth players to give them experience. We then went to Furth for the season opener, but we could only manage a 2-2 draw after going ahead twice, with Lewandowski and Gotze scoring, but Gotze picked up a 5 week injury, unfortunately.

On deadline day the inevitable happened, Lewandowski handed in a transfer request but I managed to extort £35.5m (£10m up front, £25.5m over 24 months) from Tottenham. This then funded my purchase of Rodrigo, who's very similar to Gotze and Reus, for £15m and he started with 2 goals on his debut against Dusseldorf in a 3-0 win. Unfortunately losing Lewan. means we've lost a lot of strength and height up front, so I'll assess how that affects us over the next few months and I may rectify that in January if needs be.

Who would you lot say are the perfect German and Non German strikers to replace Lewandowski ?

A decent replacement would be Alvaro Negredo from Sevilla. Would probably be a bit cheaper than some other more illustrious names.

Who would you lot say are the perfect German and Non German strikers to replace Lewandowski ?

There are quite a few. Kevin Volland's been mentioned a lot in this thread and he'd slot into any Borussia Dortmund team well. An alternative to Volland could be Mainz's Shawn Parker. Both are certainly big prospects for the future. At the other end of the spectrum, you could bring Miroslav Klose back to the Bundesliga. He'd provide depth as well as much needed experience.

Replacing Robert Lewandowski with a foreign striker would be a better, cheaper bet though: Nélson Oliveira would be an expensive, but promising option. You could try and bring Romelu Lukaku in on loan, Ádám Szalai, again of Mainz, as well. Hamburg SV's Song Heung-Min would be another good domestic option, but he's likely to cost a fair bit too.

I've been given a nightmare of a Champions League group; got seeded 4th for some reason (Could be sure I was seeded 3rd on an earlier game) and drew Manchester United, Benfica and Juventus. I'm hoping to pull through it, but it'll be tough.

Untitled-1_zpsc5b171fd.png

This result may just have kept me in the Group, Juventus are way ahead on 9 points, with us and United now tied on 5 points and Benfica trailing on 3 points. I'm still unbeaten in the league although I've drawn 4 of my 10 games so I sit 2 points behind Bayern.

Son Heung Min was, somewhat surprisingly, released on a free on my Leverkusen save at the end of the 2nd season. He'd scored 1 goal in the first season and a few in the 2nd as well. Could do a job as a Lewy replacement, if you're looking to sign from Germany.

I'd recommend Christopher Drazan to any of you looking to play with an out-and-out LW, he's unbelievable and cheap from Rapid Wien.

Yeah Kaiserslautern signed Drazan in mine for £350k and he's tearing the 2 Bundesliga apart. Just had a scare against Frankfurt, dominated until the 70th minute when we had a mad 10 minutes and conceded 3 goals in 10 minutes to put us 3-1 behind. Brought on Gotze (at 75%, so was being rested) and Leitner and they scored and got an assist each in a 4-3 win :D Still Unbeaten! (In the league)

My usual starting XI is:

Rodrigo (AF[A])

Reus (IF[A]) ---------------- Gotze/Kuba (W)

Sahin (DLP) -- Gundogan (AP)

Bender (A[D])

Schmelzer (WB) - Hummels (BPD[X]) - Subotic (CB[D]) - Piszczek (WB)

Weidenfeller (GK[D])

I have Reus and Rodrigo set to swap positions as well as they're both excellent on the wing and upfront, I find it makes them almost impossible to "man-mark" out of the game that way.

Started my annual Dortmund save to see if it can get me back into this years FM.

Only signed Strandberg and Masilela for cover and brought in a whole bunch of staff.

Lost to Bayern in the Super Cup, though it was a joke. We lost on penalties after they equalised a minute and a half after injury time was meant to end. I was furious.

Only game in the league so far, beat Hoffenheim 5-0. Though I think it was a fluke coz I've barely changed any tactics around yet.

I'm going to sell Lewandowski and Gotze at the end of the season to try and keep some realism, then rebuild from there.

In reference to my earlier save, I lost interest pretty quickly in the 2nd season as I realised I'd changed the team too much/brought in too many fancy foreigners after selling Lewandowski (signed Jovetic + Lamela).

Anyhow, I stuck a save in just before accepting the Lewandowski bid so went back to that to try and rekindle my interest, also sold Gotze for 35m to make it more realistic & decided to sell Kuba because I he tailed off badly last season. Tried my hardest to bring in Draxler but that just wasn't happening so looked for other bundesliga talent to add to the team. Signed Shaqiri, Carvajal (understudy to Pisczcek, but with the plan to sell Pisczcek before his value starts to drop) & Sebastien Rode (constant 'praising' him meant he was transfer listed by request so relatively cheap).

I still couldn't resist a couple of foreigners, James Rodriguez is one of my favourite players and was available for 13.5m and Coentrao was out of favour and available for 6m. I'm not Schmelzer's biggest fan so Coentrao gives me a more attacking option and when he's fully trained to LB (his current natural position is LWB) he'll probably be first choice.

So my current team is:

----------------------Welbeck (AF)

Reus(IF)---------------------------------Shaqiri(IF)

--------------Mkhitaryan(AP)----Gundogan(DLP)

-------------------------Bender(A)

Schmelzer(FB)--Hummels(BPD)--Subotic(CD)--Piscszek(WB)

----------------------Weidenfeller

Mkhitaryan has very attacking instructions as he basically plays as a free role centre forward in real life & nothing like a CM (re-training him there).

Had plans to sign a proven striker but then Welbeck scored 4 on the opening day against Furth and the only goal against Liverpool in the Euro Super Cup so I'm sticking with him. Want to have a fluid front 3 with wide forwards cutting inside, so training Welbeck to LW/Reus to ST so they can interchange and Volland to RW.

Not expecting the same success as the first season, but should be interesting. Still have 50m in the bank as starting funds for signing Ter Stegen, Draxler & Muller (hopefully) in the future...

Lost to Bayern in the Super Cup, though it was a joke. We lost on penalties after they equalised a minute and a half after injury time was meant to end. I was furious.

There is no set time for stoppage time - the amount given is a "minimum".

There is no set time for stoppage time - the amount given is a "minimum".

I'm aware of this, they leave it open in case anything else delays it they can add more on. But there was no reason for them to add a minute and a half.

Just started a save with Dortmund. Only player I have sold is Grosskreutz to Porto for £12m, just because he doesn't have the technical ability I'm looking for in my attacking midfielders and I couldn't see him getting many games.

I have signed...

Okore (£1.3m) - Will use him as initial cover at DC and hopefully make him a future starter.

Del Horno (free) - Just to cover Schmelzer for the first season until I get some more funds.

Peruzzi (loan and £3.5m future fee) - More cover at DR as I'm not convinced how well Piszczek will perform defensively and Owomoyela's lack of pace will be exposed by some of the better wingers in the league.

Zanetti (free) - Short-term cover for Kehl while Bender is injured and a decent mentor too.

Yttergard Jenssen (£1.2m) - Got him at a bargain price so plan to sell him on within 12 months, once Leitner has developed a bit more.

Wellington Nem (£3.5m) - Bargain wonderkid. Versatile and fits well in to how I want my team to play.

Carlos Fierro (£3.8m) - One for the future really, but will give him game time in hope he performs well enough to potentially be a first team player when I have to sell Lewandowski.

Also signed Adryan (£875k) and Luxbacher (£6k) but they won't get much action first season.

When I brought in Wellington Nem, I loaned out Bittencourt to Hertha Berlin as I didn't think he would play much. He scored an 'acrobatic effort' 11 minutes into his debut for them, then got stretchered off with a broken leg 10 minutes later and is now out for 5-6 months. Not happy!

Lost the Supercup against Bayern 3-0, well and truly dominated, but my preseason results since then have been much better - including a 6-2 victory against Napoli. Won my German Cup 1st Round game 3-0 against Oberneuland, Kuba got 2 and Wellington Nem scored on his debut. I've got HSV in Round 2.

Just played my first game of the season against Stuttgart (H). Kehl gets himself sent off after 3 mins for violent conduct, which is hardly the best start! I adjusted my tactics to play direct on the counter, but Stuttgart went 1-0 up in the 20th min. We cleared a corner just before half time, Gotze put Lewandowski through and he smashed one in at the near post from outside the box. But it all went wrong again when Schmelzer picked up a needless second yellow card in first half injury time and it was backs to the wall once more - 11 against 9!! I tinkered at half time and decided to go with no wingers (Kuba and Reus off, Del Horno and Yttergard Jenssen on) and played 4 at the back, 2 MC's, Gotze as AMC® and Lewandowski as FC(l). Lewandowski got hauled down at a corner in the 65th min and the ref gave us a penalty, which Hummels absolutely smashed in! I went even more defensive, then 7 mins later Yttergard Jenssen weaved through 3 Stuttgart midfielders and split their defence with a through-ball to Lewandowski, who nutmegged the keeper to seal the win. What a game!!!

30a5eom.png

Starting my 3rd season just now. Won the League for the first time, but got thrashed by Man Utd 5-1 in the UCL final. Had job offers from Bayern and Real Madrid, but turned them down becaue I love this save so far.

Here's how the squad looks come season 3:

bd365a949ae9181283165812b9c936d9.png

Transfers:

4a96f16a87f091cfb42d4afd40181fa3.png

For anyone who is interested in some youth development, here is how some of my youngsters look:

Koray Gunter

Thomas Pledl

Leon Goretzka

Moritz Leitner

Sven Weber (regen)

Congratulations on the league win! I'm still unbeaten after 17 games in the league, yet I'm still a point behind Bayern who've lost three. I put a lot of faith in youth, and I think it costs me at times because we do have a bit of trouble closing out games.

Has anyone else had problems with fitness? I'm consistently having to rotate as players take 10 days to get back to 95% after a game, I do like the challenge though.

@jim - Gunter looks great. He's the reason I never buy another CB. Did you do anything in particular with him?

@D0bi - Never have problems with fitness despite a high pressing game. 10 days is far, faar too long. Are you resting them after games?

It's something I'm considering doing, Gotze is rarely above 90% for me, same with Sahin.

I've just managed to sign Lowe, Douglas and Francesco Bardi all on pre-contracts. Lowe will provide cover, and looks good enough as a rotation option next year. Douglas is a quality player, and will be my 4th excellent centre back after Santana, Hummels and Subotic whilst Bardi has the potential to be an amazing keeper and can take over from Weidenfeller in a few years.

There's your answer then. You have to give them a break! I give everyone who has played one day's rest as a minimum. If they are under 20 y/o, or over 30 y/o, then it's two days rest. When a young player is jaded I give them 3-7 days off If necessary. This way I rarely get injuries either and it doesn't effect development at all.

I prefer smaller squads, so I have to be diligent. Around X-mas the players get a week off, and toward the end of season I have no problems giving the squad or certain players a week off if they look tired.

Rest is practically mandatory.

Just starting a Dortmund save from the start on the latest patch having had a couple of years with them later on in a previous save where I started with Athletic but left Dortmund too hastily for a crappy time at Barcelona.

I love the look of the squad and this thread is amazing, especially the OP.

I've turned off the first transfer window budgets so all I've been able to do is bring in a couple of loan signings to give a bit of cover at the back; Marc Muniesa for CB and Razvan Rat for LB. Both will be available on pre-contracts and I'm already tempted to pick up Muniesa if he develops, although I also have my eye on Bruno Martins Indi as a free agent at the end of season one for CB cover, and possible future development.

Other than that I'm just getting going - implemented some Klopp like tactics, bought in a couple of extra coaches, and had the board put some more money behind junior coaching and youth recruitment. Having previously played as Bilbao many times, where signings are limited due to their Basque-only policy, the youth development side of things is really important to me. As such I've added ter Stegen, Gortezka and Rode to the top of my wish-list for the end of the first season.

Having read through a lot of posts here I'll also look to cash in on Lewandowski after season one rather than lose him for free. I have my scouts tracking Jovetic, Lukaku and Benteke as potential replacements and I'll also look at Ferreyra and Schrijvers as back-up/future stars.

Wish me luck, I've just drawn Barcelona, Man City and Kobenhavn in the CL group stage. Eek.

Archived