FM13: Newcastle United - Alan Pardew and The Eight Year Plan.

tommonufc

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm on the verge of getting Zouma to ask to leave St. Ettienne, although his manager now despises me so they might get stubborn with his price.

Going great guns atm, in April 2nd season. Out of the League Cup to Chelsea, got Southampton in the FA Cup Semis, Barca in the CL Quarter finals and top of the league by 4 points.

Adam Campbell is sooo good its ridiculous, 21 goals in 23 appearances so far. Also Cisse is rather good as well, 26 in 30 :)

10 games in to the 2nd season, and we are going well.

Managed to beat ManU 6-3, and drew 1-1 away to Barcelona. Currently sitting top of the league by 4 points.......cannot help but wonder when will it start to go downhill. At least I have decent quality in the squad, and suprisingly Goetze is joining in Jan (along with Andrade).

Shouldn't have loaned out half the guys you have done - they AI won't get anything from them, so it's generally pointless, most especially in the case of Campbell, Streete, Adryan and Bigi, as they actually have potential.

does loaning them out not improve them, like them getting more game time?

does loaning them out not improve them, like them getting more game time?

Firstly, should have asked before, but have they been tutored at all? Generally, this is the mistake the AI makes prenially with young players, they will be loaned out, but haven't the personalities that will be inducive to developing whilst out on loan - so you will see, for example, Bigirimana play 40 games in for a Championship side, and finish the season with a 6.80 rating for example.

It's infinitely better to have these players tutored, and trained at the club, then play a handful of games for you than just being carted out on loan and forgotten about.

The long and short of it, with the determination levels and personalities of those players at the start of the game, they won't develop under the AI on loan.

Take a look around the other sides in your save, look at the promising young players more than likely rotting away in their reserves, or stagnating out on loan. Prime example would be Liverpool - Flanagan, Yesil, Sterling, Robinson... They have a lot of players that could be developed very well under human control, but because the AI can't tutor players, their determination never rises, so they never have the personalities that allow them to become better players.

Newcastle United season 2013/14 review.

Transfers.

As usual I did a lot of wheeling and dealing in the transfer market, so much so that it's on three screenshots. It's the youngsters that I have loaned out that have really made this take up three pages.

Part one.

Part Two.

Part Three.

Premier League Table.

After losing the league on goal difference last season, we make up for it by winning the Premier League this season in what was a close campaign.

nufcpremierleaguetable1.jpg

In The Cups.

I used the League cup and the FA cup until the semi final as a platform for the younger players/backup players to perform. We got knocked out early in the League cup after losing to a full strength Stoke City. In the FA cup we had a easy run to the semi finals, we then beat Arsenal in the semi's and West Ham United in the final.

Winning the Champions League in our first season in it was a very big shock, we had a tough group with Bayern Munich, Lyon and FC Copenhagen, which we won then after beating Sporting Lisborn in the first round we came up against the other three English sides upto the final where we beat moneybags Manchester City 4-1 with young Adam Campbell grabbibg himself a nice hattrick.

nufccupresultsendofseas.jpg

The Squad.

nufcsquadendofseasontwo.jpg

The Star Man.

Adam Campbell.

I decided that this season I was going to give Adam Campbell plenty of game time after getting him tutored by Papiss Cisse in the first season and Alberto Paloschi and Abel Hernandez in the second season. I didn't epect him to become my number one striker though which is exactly what he became, playing him as a poacher most teams just couldn't handle his blistering pace and good finishing/composure. He got called into a few England squads but for some reason Brendan Rodgers decided not to play him.

This is what he looks like at the end of the second season.

nufcadamcampbellendofse.jpg

Nice work :thup:

How is Muhammed Demirci turning out for you? I remember pointing out to you his shoddy determination :p

Not good, James Perch got his determination upto 7 or 8 then I loaned him to my Turkish feeder club whose name I not even going to try and spell. He will be getting sold when he comes back from Turkey.

Finally... I'm both annoyed and happy.!

half way through season 3

first week in december the dreaded TALKOVER talks started again after they failed at the start of the season......

Now ordinarily I dont mind this but there are about 6 or 7 potential bosmans to be signed in jan.

needless to say it took until Jan 14th to resolve and get the transfer block lifted...... really annoyed but was that i lost out on signing 4 of those targets...

Happy bit is that the fat man is no longer owner.... I had 40m in the bank but now have 55m and the debt has gone down from about 90m to 44m so less of a monthly payout.....

Also apparently he's improving some facilities as well.......

but the best bit was the 2 main transfer targets that I wanted on a bosman I still managed to get......

German GK - Marc-André ter Stegen. who is a 5* and looks mint in my game....

despite krul being a 4.5 * and doing really well.. I also have Butland doing ok so far ... plan is now that I have Stegan for free is that krul is priced at abotu 12m at the moment but I'm sure I could get 20-25m for him if sold by the summer.

Not bad business.... stegan in plus 20-25m and krul out.

Also I signed a 5* fc pot 19 year old potential who is currently an italian under 21 or something.... REGEN so nobody will know him I dont think.

It could have been better because there was henderson, corluka, and a couple of others I missed out on.. but the main two I wanted I got...

SIDE NOTE

Has anyone else been annoyed with Stephen Taylor.?

He's pretty much been an ever present in my team and has developed really well into an ever present in the england lineup.

Despite me winning the league and cups etc he keeps demanding a transfer as "he wants a new challenge" .. and " feels he has done all he can at the club"

now that wouldnt normally annoy me but really stephen taylor wants to leave newcastle.? yeah right... he's a stallwart toon supporter and I dont think would EVER move by his own choice.... or ever demand a move.?

anyone else had this.?

Steve Taylor did that for me too. Near the end of the first season he started complaining and I told him that the club can progress to match his ambitions and he accepted that. Around 6 games into the second season he got unhappy that the club hadn't progressed enough and despite me being in with a shot of winning the League he was still unhappy so I sold him in January. Surely he should have waited for more than a few matches to see how far the club was going :confused:

In January in my first season and have hit a bit of a blip, dropping down to 3rd. Am currently in negotiations with Bocchetti and none other than Fernando Llorente to come to the club in July. He'll cost me £115k p/w though if he accepts the contract which is little more than I'm really looking to give a player, with £65k my preferred limit.

Thought I would share my progress on my Newcastle save so far. We finished 5th in season 1 after losing 1-0 to Villa on the last day and Spurs winning their match. Also lost in the final of the League Cup against Arsenal but still not a bad first season. Not given a huge budget in either season so I've not really brought in any big names, I've just gone for cheaper options which will be good for a few years to come. My squad as it stands now and the tactic I have developed after messing around a lot in season one I've finally got a tactic that I can stick to, making only minor adjustments depending on who is starting and which team I am facing:

2yvo5l4.jpg

qyd4w7.jpg

Steven Taylor was unhappy at the end of the first season and that continued at the start of the second so I moved him on in January. First season transfers:

17eh6c.jpg

Second season:

2620c3r.jpg

I made the mistake of loaning Adam Campbell out which means he hasn't developed as much as I would have liked but he is still playing really well. At the time of writing this he has scored 11 goals in 23 apps and Cisse has scored 15 in 22. As you can see from the league table, Taylor had nothing to be unhappy about :D

2v9u9ev.jpg

We went on a huge unbeaten run and considering 90% of the Europa and League Cup games were played by reserve/youngsters I think that it was a great streak! Some really nice results in there along with some really frustrating ones which we should have won easily but strikers had an off day or the opposition keeper had a great day:

3134tqg.jpg

Some of my favourite performances:

28rlaqc.jpg

w9ejoz.jpg

14wsns.jpg

I'm considering a deal to bring Andy Carroll back as he is available for around £4.2m and would offer another option when teams pack the area against me. Has anyone brought him back?

NUFC_logo.png

2016-2017

Transfers

Major signing for first team this year has been picking up Giuseppe Rossi on an end of contract deal. He'll fit in perfectly alongside Campbell up front, in rotation with Munian, although his arrival does give me various selection headaches among my bulging attacking options. Scouts have been busy over the last few seasons, and have decided to take the plunge into the regens. Two of which are two young English defenders, of the best part of £40M has been spent on - William Dobson, and Martin Rae.

8211594515_b1f20248b7_b.jpg

8212696092_30471bef3b_b.jpg

-- Pau -- Mark Metcalfe -- Marcos -- Nicolás Panarelli -- William Dobson -- Martin Rae -- Neto

Line Ups - 3-5-2 - 3-4-2 - 4-3-3

abDMdNGafb.jpgabDMdQuaeb.jpgabDMdUUam0.jpg

Currently playing Spurs, went 1-0 down. Scored 3 goals in the second half including a penalty, yet it still says 1-0 in the Overview and none of my players have goals next to their names? ....... In the reports it says Newcastle goal and then Spurs kick off....Just go to full time, it says Spurs won 3-0 but the report its 3-1 to me what is this?.....

Half way through season 2 (just closed the Jan sales).

Brought in Victor Andrade (7M), Mario Goetze (35M) and my DoF brought in Oscar for 16M. I will need to do some serious juggling now to keep everyone happy.

Sitting top of the league with a 7 point gap over Man City. After 23 games, we are still unbeaten.

Biggest victories this season are 6-3 home win against ManU and a 3-0 home win against BCN. My bogie team in this edition seems to be Stoke.

anybody here still using the classic mode for tactics (as I am old school)? I'd like to know whether the old "Nike tick" mentality for defence still works

I tried setting my DL (Santon) at 11, DCL (Colo) at 9, DCR Saylor at 7, DR (Simpson) at 9, and defensive MC (Tiote) at 8. seems like i'm pretty fragile at the back especially from crosses (may be that Ben Arfa and Wellington Nem aren't helping out in defence but I've set their closing down to 14 and use OI tight marking on opposition wingers)

I play 4-3MC-2IF-1, trying to grind out tiki taka style of play out of Newcastle. Sometimes the passing can be awesome especially against lower sides (possession of high 50s and mid 60s is common), but never manage to do well against top teams.

still don't know how to take a screenshot in Steam (apparently ALT PRTSC doesn't work anymore) or else I'd post up some pics

anybody here still using the classic mode for tactics (as I am old school)? I'd like to know whether the old "Nike tick" mentality for defence still works

I tried setting my DL (Santon) at 11, DCL (Colo) at 9, DCR Saylor at 7, DR (Simpson) at 9, and defensive MC (Tiote) at 8. seems like i'm pretty fragile at the back especially from crosses (may be that Ben Arfa and Wellington Nem aren't helping out in defence but I've set their closing down to 14 and use OI tight marking on opposition wingers)

I play 4-3MC-2IF-1, trying to grind out tiki taka style of play out of Newcastle. Sometimes the passing can be awesome especially against lower sides (possession of high 50s and mid 60s is common), but never manage to do well against top teams.

still don't know how to take a screenshot in Steam (apparently ALT PRTSC doesn't work anymore) or else I'd post up some pics

Hit Left Shift+Tab to bring up the steam overlay and it'll tell you what take screenshot is binded to.

End of first season review.

I started out by shipping a load of deadwood but I didn't really spend much on incoming transfers as you can see.

newcastletransfershisto.png

Cup Competitions

I beat Crvenza Zvezda 1-0 away from home in the first leg of Europa qualifying, so I played a slightly weaker team in the return leg at home and this happened. :(:lol:

newcastlevcrvenazvezdao.png

I also got Arsenal away in the League Cup so was out at the first attempt there and got beat 1-0 off Ipswich at home in the 3rd round of the FA Cup too.

The League

barclayspremierleagueovr.png

As you can see I only finished 7th. This was mainly due to inconsistent form and not winning games that I should have done. Take a look at some of my results from January onwards, I ended up not losing in my last 9 league games and against some really good teams too, yet couldn't pick up home results against the likes of Wigan.

newcastleunitedfixtures.png

The main tactic I used was my possession based 4-2-3-1. The main issue I was having was that Cisse wasn't scoring at all, then in my last 9 league games I changed the base of my tactic from an attacking style to a control style, results then improved as did Cisse's scoring. You can see there he only scored 14 league goals, and 5 of them came in his last 3 games.

papisscissoverviewattri.png

Ben Arfa was my best player of the season, I had great success playing him on the right and in an IF role. Most of my team have strict instructions as that is what you need to try and have a possession based tactic, however I gave Ben Arfa a lot more creative freedom and he shone.

hatembenarfaoverviewatt.png

Midway through my 4th season, qualified for the CL knocks out with a game to spare and 2nd in the league trailing United by 5(Should be 3 but Moses hit a long ball from inside his own half that Timmy Krul let roll right passed him). Also into the Capital One Cup semi final for the first time, drawn against Villa, the two Manc teams in the other semi.

Finally caved this season and gone for the 4-2-3-1 and it has worked wonders with the best defence in the league. Shipped 3 away at Wolves, no idea what happens when I play them away they dominate me everytime. Might follow Jonny2J and give HBA more freedom, although he seems to be tearing it up anyway.

Thought I would share my progress on my Newcastle save so far. We finished 5th in season 1 after losing 1-0 to Villa on the last day and Spurs winning their match. Also lost in the final of the League Cup against Arsenal but still not a bad first season. Not given a huge budget in either season so I've not really brought in any big names, I've just gone for cheaper options which will be good for a few years to come. My squad as it stands now and the tactic I have developed after messing around a lot in season one I've finally got a tactic that I can stick to, making only minor adjustments depending on who is starting and which team I am facing:

wow from the images you posted, it seems that finally someone here still uses the good old classic mode of tactic setup (sliders and the good stuff). care to share how you set up your defense (back four plus tiote) in terms of mentality and closing down? and how do you deal with teams attacking down your left hand side (opposition right wing) since with taylor alone and i assume ben arfa doesn't seem to do much meaningful defending.

wow from the images you posted, it seems that finally someone here still uses the good old classic mode of tactic setup (sliders and the good stuff). care to share how you set up your defense (back four plus tiote) in terms of mentality and closing down? and how do you deal with teams attacking down your left hand side (opposition right wing) since with taylor alone and i assume ben arfa doesn't seem to do much meaningful defending.

I tend to tweak the tactic quite a lot depending on who is playing and depending on the opposition. I don't really have many problems with teams getting down my left side but if they are then I will drop Taylor back. I'll do this when holding onto a lead too. The shape is based on a tactic I saw on FM-Base and I thought that my players would fit in well and using my own instructions it has worked better than I thought it would. I can upload the tactic if anyone wants it but bear in mind that I make a lot of tweaks for each match.

Here is how my defence is set up:

2012-11-25_00007.jpg

2012-11-25_00008.jpg

2012-11-25_00003.jpg

2012-11-25_00004.jpg

With the DM I would have the creative freedom lower when Tiote is playing. It is slightly higher at the moment as Anita has been playing there while Tiote was injured. In fact, Anita has been playing a lot better than Tiote so he will be keeping the place for now.

2012-11-25_00005.jpg

Here is the CM. This would usually be Cabaye but going on form Jenssen is playing much better so the place is his for now. Against smaller teams when Cabaye is playing I'll up his creative freedom to the first notch of 'much'.

2012-11-25_00006.jpg

My decision to bring Carroll back has been a success so far. I had an offer of £5m accepted for him but he wanted £75,000 p/w wages so I walked away and added him to my transfer target list. My DoF managed to get him for £5.25m and on £42,500 p/w so he saved me a fair bit of cash there :D

2012-11-25_00009.jpg

He has been playing brilliantly so far. He single handedly destroyed Arsenal in the the last League match where I played a more direct style and had him as the target man. They couldn't cope with him at all.

I also faced Arsenal in the League Cup final once again and took some revenge on them for the defeat last season by winning 1-0 although it should really have been more.

CapitalOnefinal2013.jpg

Anyone else managed to make Remie Streete a Wonderkid? He's just become one in my game after 'coming on leaps and bounds' in the first season. Him and Campbell are U21 regulars as well.

I've just finished season 3 and he played first team for the last 4 league games and played really well.. had him youth trained by colo before that..... he's 3.5 * at the moment and under 21 regular..... i can see him being really good by the time he's 25 if he keeps playing.

Anyone else managed to make Remie Streete a Wonderkid? He's just become one in my game after 'coming on leaps and bounds' in the first season. Him and Campbell are U21 regulars as well.

Haven't had too much luck with the youngsters at the club so far, apart from Adam Campbell. However Streete and Lopez were starting to show some good signs of development in the second season while being tutored...unfortunately they both suffered broken legs within a month of each other and face about 7 months out which has put a real crimp on things.

2013/14 Transfers and Expectations

newcastletransfershisto.png

As you can see from above, I've severely strengthened my team and got some bargain free transfers in Sissoko, Douglas and Mbiwa. Even though Steven Taylor was fantastic for me last season I've sold him to Reading and managed to get £20 million up-front from Liverpool as well for Demba Ba. This has financed most of my summer transfer moves, and meant I have brought in Dembele to play my AML role.

The tactic below is what I used in the previous season.

newcastleunitedtacticsok.png

However I'm looking to play about and swap between the two tactics below to try and get a better possession based style of things.

newcastleunitedtacticso.png

newcastleunitedtacticso.png

In my third season and things are looking up and the team seem to now finally be playing to their full potential with my formation. This is how the league table stands in January so far.

barclayspremierleagueovd.png

Cisse's now away for the ACON, which is normally a tough time but Campbell bagged a hat-trick in the first game since Cisse's absence away at Aston Villa.

One thing that's made a big difference as well is that Cisse is now frequently scoring too, and I haven't changed his role in the team either so I'm not sure what it is but he's been on fire this season compared with his previous two.

papisscissoverviewattri.png

I got knocked out of the League Cup at first attempt away at Southampton and I've managed to quality from a difficult Champions League group including Real Madrid, Juventus and Olympiakos. Although in the second round I'm playing Barcelona so I'm expecting to get a mauling over the two legs.

Next match up is the Mackems away...

Ended up having a cracking January despite my fears and even won Manager of the Month!

newcastleunitedfixtures.png

Beat Villa in the next game then got beat 1-0 away at Chelsea.

Campbell has been on fire too scoring 8 in 6 games, so Cisse now might not get back in the team!

I've also broke our transfer record to sign this young Turkish winger with 5* potential. Sold Zaha to part finance the deal too.

kenankayaoverviewprofil.png

Just had a cracking result/performance against Man Utd at home to put me three points ahead of them at the top of the table.

newcastlevmanutdstatsma.png

Man Utd away in the FA Cup and then Barcelona up next. :(

Ah **** off man, Cisse has just tore his hamstring in the ACON and Campbell is out for two weeks. :lol:

Just had a cracking result/performance against Man Utd at home to put me three points ahead of them at the top of the table.

newcastlevmanutdstatsma.png

Man Utd away in the FA Cup and then Barcelona up next. :(

Ah **** off man, Cisse has just tore his hamstring in the ACON and Campbell is out for two weeks. :lol:

Have been a bit disappointing with his development in all honesty. Probably been handed a less than favorable PA. Had him tutored by Saylor, then loaned him out to Ipswich, which looking back I could have held on to him and given him game time myself and training for that season. Started well, and quickly turned into a player that was worthy of the first team, but his development has seemingly faded out recently. Saying that, when he's played, he's played very, very well; hopefully I can improve on some of his defensive attributes, as he has all the physical side of his game to play in a top Premier League side.

Start of game

8120133746_b2a2ede672_b.jpg

Aug 2014

8168671327_23cd0c0413_b.jpg

Sep 2016

8221504222_042770753a_b.jpg

Coach report - Bernard Peters (JJA 15, JJP 18)

8221564858_498ae57bba_b.jpg

2014/15 Stats

8220484375_fa8c7b15a3_b.jpg

2015/16

8220484749_db532280e3_b.jpg

Is anyone else finding it really tough after January? I only lost two games up to January and we were playing great football. Since January, I've already lost 5 and conceding loads :(

I tend to find it hard at the very start of a season and at the end.. I find once im up to speed and on a good run of games I keep playing well during the year but the fixture congestion by the end of the season especially when your still in the fa cup, league and champions league play its toll along with the crazy high injuries the game seems to produce now after the last patch.

is it not because of Ba and cisse and tiote being at the african nations durign Jan thats throwing your team off.?

This season (2nd) has been brilliant for me, Papiss banging them in. Wellington Nem making assist after assist. Players like Streete, Campbell, Meile and Lopez making 1st team appearances and im sitting 4th after 22 games.

302v0r4.png

64le8o.png

Also got this youngster very cheap, looks like a younger Cabaye!

2llje4z.png

If you want to follow my updates please do and give me some feedback :D

Here's to Sir Bobby!

Archived