How can football manager in 2013 still not have goalkeeper red cards for fouls

I read that thread at the time and his response was to the number of red cards, not to the collisions, maybe you should read it again. I'm not denying there are red cards but saying these only happen in the instance of handballs outside the box.

But yeah, we are aware the levels are under what they 'should' be. I'd also say IRL the lower down the football pyramid you go the more chance you'd encounter poor decision making from keepers hence this occurring more often.

This is very true. At the level that I play at, I have been part of numerous matches in which a keeper has made a ridiculous decision and been red carded: basically, as the keepers get worse, they do more stupid stuff.

This debate reminded me of when SI implemented "ref pushing" into one of the CM games, (circa. Di Canio's era). This in turn made me receive 2 or 3 three month global bans a season for some of my players. The poor refs had to start wearing American Football pads they were getting pushed so much :lol:

In other words..SI, do not implement this until you are confident it'll work right. I really can live with my keeper staying on the pitch for the time being :brock:

After doing a quick bit of research, in the Premier League according to official statistics there have only been straight reds in league matches for keepers four times over the last five seasons (if someone has stats which prove this wrong do let me know), so in real life (at the highest level at least) it doesn't happen as often as you'd probably think.

There's life beyond the EPL...

Stats for Serie A:

2012-13 (6 matchdays): 2

2011-12: 8

2010-11: 4

2009-10: 5

2008-09: 3

2007-08: 3

Also, the chance is higher for clubs playing a very high defensive line, exposing the keeper to one-on-ones... Poor Maarten Stekelenburg got sent off TWICE between march and april last spring.

P.S. I can understand SI not implementing it in a meaningful way as long as it's not working properly [speaking of which.. what about the random two-footed challenge causing a red card early in the game?], but it's simply laughable reading some posters, the usual Apologists, pretending it's perfectly fine the way it is.

As others have said it's something we're aware of and we're looking into. Unfortunately as someone else has already said, the way in which collision detection works means it's very hard to implement and get it exactly right - we don't want keepers being sent off left right and centre. We appreciate it's something people very much want to see in the game, as do we, but until we can have it working to a satisfactory level then we can't increase it. After doing a quick bit of research, in the Premier League according to official statistics there have only been straight reds in league matches for keepers four times over the last five seasons (if someone has stats which prove this wrong do let me know), so in real life (at the highest level at least) it doesn't happen as often as you'd probably think.

The request wasn't for red card fouls by the keeper in the penalty area but fouls by the keeper in the penalty area.

Check the statistic for that. Let me guess that it happens around once every match day on average in the Premier League? Or, to be more precise, how many penalties were awarded the PL 2011/12 season and how many of those were caused by a keeper?

This would be differcult to introduce due to the frequency level being correct.

Be a bit pointless managing a top four BPL team if they did bring this in as you would play against 10 men most games :)

I think a bigger gripe is that Howard Webb isn't coded properly to give Man Utd numerous penalties at Old Trafford in the game!

• Administrators
The request wasn't for red card fouls by the keeper in the penalty area but fouls by the keeper in the penalty area.

Check the statistic for that. Let me guess that it happens around once every match day on average in the Premier League? Or, to be more precise, how many penalties were awarded the PL 2011/12 season and how many of those were caused by a keeper?

As said if someone wants to go through seasons worth of match reports and get us a rough figure we'd be happy to use it! :)

Yeh someone asked how many yellow cards goalkeepers get, regardless of how they get them, collisions, handling outside the area, bad tackles etc.

There's a list of every player that got a yellow card. You can then see which goalkeepers and how many yellow cards they got.

Then you can see how likely it is for a goalkeeper to get a yellow card over the course of a season.

Isn't that what we're talking about - yellow cards for goalkeepers and the consistency in which it happens based on real life scenarios?

There have been 18 penalties awarded in the Premier League so far this season, 16 conceded by outfield players and 2 conceded by goalkeepers. So 1 in 9 penalties are a foul by the keeper. Last season there were 99 penalties, probability suggests 11 of these could have been conceded by the goalkeeper. On average, your team's goalkeeper could give away one penalty every other season.

A small sample I know, so these are obviously very rough numbers, but I haven't got time to go through a whole season's match reports!

I personally wont be able to play the game without this feature because i feel its a massive part of football and with it not being in the game it takes away that realistic feeling of a real football match.

That's 1 of the most pathetic things I've read on here in a long long time. It doesn't happen much in real life, and it's not uncommon for it to be a yellow card rather than a red card depending on the situation anyway. It's not that big a deal.It's certainly not worth saying "I can't play the game without this" which is basically what you've done.

Nah you just made a lame sarcastic analogy - this succeeded in making me think that you are pretty dim

Then posted you are going to make a list of people who say they arent going to by FM and then check them against this to see if they did buy it - This merely confirmed my earlier suspicions.

Now you are trying to re-write what you actually said.

Bravo!

I think you'll find lucho_ wrote that comment about making a list. But I can see why you'd be confused seeing as both mine and his name start with L. Yet I'm the dim one apparently :p

• Administrators
There have been 18 penalties awarded in the Premier League so far this season, 16 conceded by outfield players and 2 conceded by goalkeepers. So 1 in 9 penalties are a foul by the keeper. Last season there were 99 penalties, probability suggests 11 of these could have been conceded by the goalkeeper. On average, your team's goalkeeper could give away one penalty every other season.

A small sample I know, so these are obviously very rough numbers, but I haven't got time to go through a whole season's match reports!

Better than nothing, I appreciate you taking the time to take a look :thup:

Admittedly playing FM11, I've just looked through the histories of all the goalkeepers I've used regularly in the 15 seasons of my game and there's been a total of 2 yellow cards and no reds.

While the thread starter is clearly overreacting, some of the arguments used to defend it are ridiculous. It should be much better simulated.

• 4 years later...
  • Administrators
1 minute ago, jcw163 said:

Seriously amused to find that the "keepers can't commit a foul" thing was raised 5 years ago but nothing has been done about it. 

If you think there's an issue within the match engine, please raise it on the match engines bug forum which can be found here - https://community.sigames.com/forum/515-match-engine-issues/

Thanks. 

Archived