Official The Netherlands Thread ; the team with no decent Left back

Micado

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hope you found something... my wife had the same 1,5 year ago.....

Nah, not yet... Which is crap, but what can you do...

Vlaar, most likely. Meh.

As a starter? Please, no. I'd have much more faith in Bouma, even though he's not had the best of seasons.

• SI Staff
Schaars is your left back?

I'd be carefull with the tackling. Pepe and Bruno Alves are always eager to show their... affection.:D

Probably Willems, but Schaars is being considered as DL... which is interesting as he hasn't played there since he was like 11 or 12.

Bouma is another alternative.

Lol. I now read our dark(er) skinned players were harassed yesterday on the training by some neat mannered Polish supporters who where making jungle sounds.

You gotta give credit to the FIFA for picking two such progressive, open-minded countries for hosting the EC's this year :thup:. I have Eastern European roots myself, and although thats not really near Ukraine or Poland, I would bet money on more of these occurrences this tournament. Booing people for the skin colour, how low can you go. Seen acceptance of minorities and general equality some European countries are so far behind. Usually in countries with strong nationalism and where religion is also still a high priority.

I just somehow don't got a positive feeling about the match against Denmark.

At least your feelings are limited to just one match :D

Who ever gets put at the LB position shouldn't be happy though, as all opponents know that we're seriously lacking there and they will use that to their advantage...I'm thinking Schaars sent off with his second yellow in the first and third match for showing too much love...

It was only 25 years ago Stanley Menzo had bananas hurled at him in our very own stadiums, so we know exactly how far behind they are. It's not as if we had particularly strong nationalism and/or a strong influence of religion at that time, either. Rather, economic uncertainty plus still getting used to this whole Western capitalism thingy makes scapegoating attractive. Give it time, and these things will eventually evaporate.

Plus, don't forget that there's still plenty of racism going around in the Netherlands too, people have just learned how to hide it better. Seriously, the next person who says to me "I'm not a racist but..." before going on a massively racist rant is in for a good bollocking.

Zenden was good at left back as well, imo.

I dunno... he was fine against weaker opposition (i.e. when he didn't actually have to defend) but I was never all that comfortable with him in that postition against stronger teams. But admittedly that's in part a matter of preference; I like tenacious mofo's like Bogarde and Boulahrouz even if they're not as technically adept.

• SI Staff
Lol. I now read our dark(er) skinned players were harassed yesterday on the training by some neat mannered Polish supporters who where making jungle sounds.

You gotta give credit to the FIFA for picking two such progressive, open-minded countries for hosting the EC's this year :thup:. I have Eastern European roots myself, and although thats not really near Ukraine or Poland, I would bet money on more of these occurrences this tournament. Booing people for the skin colour, how low can you go. Seen acceptance of minorities and general equality some European countries are so far behind. Usually in countries with strong nationalism and where religion is also still a high priority.

Those are just the ignorant few. I hate it when people find that a reason to not give a country something. It's the same thing as deciding not to let any away-supporters go to a game just because 10 idiots screwed up. It's the same thing as the entire class having detention just because 1 or 2 kids were out of line and the teacher was too stupid to figure out who. Why let one bad apple spoil the whole damn bunch?

I think it is quite more then just one or two bad apples. In many Eastern European countries racism is still a big issue. Unfortunately most political leaders deny (of course) every possible existence of this and so there will not done anything about it. I find racism (discrimination in general) still a big reason to not hold a tournament in such countries. Organizing a EC or a WC (or any major sporting event) is a big responsibility and the country(ies) that host such an event should have a hospitable, open-minded and respectful attitude towards any conceivable player or supporter whatsoever. There will be dark players, white players, there will be fans from all over the world which may vary in many ways. If countries can't cope with minorities there should not be held any major sporting event because the respect and the value of the supporters and fans can not be guaranteed.

A few weeks ago I saw this documentary called 'BBC Panorama – Euro 2012 – Stadiums Of Hate' which clearly confirms many of my views on this matter.

• SI Staff
I think it is quite more then just one or two bad apples. In many Eastern European countries racism is still a big issue. Unfortunately most political leaders deny (of course) every possible existence of this and so there will not done anything about it. I find racism (discrimination in general) still a big reason to not hold a tournament in such countries. Organizing a EC or a WC (or any major sporting event) is a big responsibility and the country(ies) that host such an event should have a hospitable, open-minded and respectful attitude towards any conceivable player or supporter whatsoever. There will be dark players, white players, there will be fans from all over the world which may vary in many ways. If countries can't cope with minorities there should not be held any major sporting event because the respect and the value of the supporters and fans can not be guaranteed.

A few weeks ago I saw this documentary called 'BBC Panorama – Euro 2012 – Stadiums Of Hate' which clearly confirms many of my views on this matter.

There's a massive debate on this forum about this. I find your belief of that documentary quite offensive - no offense intended.

I can make a documentary:

- Pedopartij

- Neo Nazi's

- Voedselbanken

- Coke addicts

- Prostitution - 'man' handling of prostitutes

- Football rivalries including - Bommen op Rotterdam, Hamas, Hamas - Joden aan het gas

and that proves every single person in Holland is one absolute incredible cess pool of pure evil (Or at least Fox News will love it)

Isn´t the Uefa really into "respect" and stuff? At least I remember seeing a few of those adds during the last CL-season, then maybe those people will learn something from the message the Uefa sends, if not it's their loss..

And yes, idiots like that we have in every country, our own included and sometimes it can be really close to home.

There's a massive debate on this forum about this. I find your belief of that documentary quite offensive - no offense intended.

I can make a documentary:

- Pedopartij

- Neo Nazi's

- Voedselbanken

- Coke addicts

- Prostitution - 'man' handling of prostitutes

- Football rivalries including - Bommen op Rotterdam, Hamas, Hamas - Joden aan het gas

and that proves every single person in Holland is one absolute incredible cess pool of pure evil (Or at least Fox News will love it)

Let me put it this way. Such degree of racism (against any minority) that prevails there would in Holland never, never be tolerated. I've been in such East European countries, I've seen it myself, my roots are there. I think I know what I am talking about.

• SI Staff
Let me put it this way. Such degree of racism (against any minority) that prevails there would in Holland never, never be tolerated. I've been in such East European countries, I've seen it myself, my roots are there. I think I know what I am talking about.

I've lived and worked in Russia for 6 months. I also know that a lot of **** happens in Holland, but we tend to turn a blind eye. But let's not tarnish this thread any further :)

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/307622-Panorama-Euro-2012

Bouma at CB then?

Vlaar as mentioned, which has concequences fow Willems

Probably Willems, but Schaars is being considered as DL... which is interesting as he hasn't played there since he was like 11 or 12.

Bouma is another alternative.

Bert told that if he plays with Vlaar he will not start Willems as he don't want two inexperienced defenders so Bouma but most likely Schaars (which is strange, yes he has experience, but not at LB)

Question, how should Bert call up? Anita,Urby ??? Or a Central defender

Bert told that if he plays with Vlaar he will not start Willems as he don't want two inexperienced defenders so Bouma but most likely Schaars (which is strange, yes he has experience, but not at LB)

I absolutely HATE that argument, I hear it so often the last couple of days and it's such rubbish. How does experience count for anything if you're gonna play him out of position? Sander Boschker has tons of experience, are we gonna use him as a striker if van Persie gets injured?

Question, how should Bert call up? Anita,Urby ??? Or a Central defender

I like Anita, but I'm still not convinced he's really of national team standard, imo he falls just short of that. But we could use his versatility at this point.

Just ordered the away shirt with Huntelaar on the back, 'mon the Oranje!

You might be wearing it more often than he will. :p

is it likely that he will call up someone to replace Mathijsen? I know he has until 6pm today - but what does the news look like in Holland?

Doesn't look like it. Teletekst says: "Mathijsen will travel to Charkov with the squad. It is certain he won't play against Denmark; whether or not he'll make the matach against Germany is still unclear." No talks of a replacement.

You guys played Braafheid in the world cup final. Literally playing with no left back would be an improvement on that awful player.
ha ha, correct he came on for Van Bronckhorst who was injured in the 105' minute. It were his only minutes of the tournament.

It seems that the 8 players of the worldcup final will stat again today against Denmark: only Kuyt (Afellay in his place), Mathijsen (Vlaar) and Van Bronkchorst (Willems probably) aren't in the first XI, with Gio having retired, Mathijsen injured and Kuyt not good enough for a starting spot.

I mean that if anything we tend to be less gracious in victory viz-a-viz the Germans than they are. Of which the Koeman 'incident' is but one example.

That picture, it's just a gag. Not a particularly funny one, granted, but it's hardly nefarious so it doesn't really warrant being pissed off over imo.

And you have to hand it to them, they did manage to find the worst Robben photograph possible. :D

Archived