Official The Netherlands Thread ; the team with no decent Left back

Micado

Anyone feeling some butterflies already?

Yes, but not in a positive way. I feel like I am about to take an exam I haven't studied for. :D

But I try to find solace in the notions that a) results in friendlies are meaningless and b) games against the Germans stand on their own, any notion of previous form goes straight out of the window.

I am desperately hoping and praying that Bertje will put Klaas-Jan up front, Robin on the right and Robben on the left. Robin should just concentrate on his footballing skills and not try to score because he is (again) clearly missing confidence to do so. And Robben should play more for the team then for himself.

Good luck with that last bit. :D

In all seriousness, I'd like to see that too, and furthermore I'd like Bert to drop De Jong, put Van Bommel in his place and play Strootman in Van Bommel's place, as I feel he offers more linking defence and attack than either Van Bommel or De Jong. Never gonna happen, obviously.

• Replies 409
  • Created
  • Last Reply

hmm match of the tournament and guess who has to work.... **** night shift too ah well, good thing there is a tele otherwise I'd been late today... Feeling anxious about tonight, hoping on a good result, fearing a ticket home.

I wonder if KNVB still think it was smart to extend with van Markijk until 2016? :D (For me it sounded weird from the beginning, even if you have trust in a manager you don't extend past the next big tournament?)

And as for today- you were disappointing, I expected Germany to win but thought that it would be much harder then tonight. And as for the defence- you seriously don't have a better player then Willems? He's been abysmal so far /0\

Well, that was a steaming pile of crap.

And what really infuriates me that for the second match in a row all the players say in their post-match interviews that "they fought like lions until the end". NO YOU BLOODY DIDN'T. They stood off, watched the Germans pass the ball around a zillion times, didn't bother to press and generally look lethargic. So stfu already about fighting till the end.

Our tactics fail because we don't move at all. Pass the ball, run out of ideas, give it to Robben so he can dribble it into a wall of defenders or try to hoof it into the opponent 16, with only RvP in it and 35 defenders. I accept that that may work against other opponents, but you don't beat a strong team that way.

If we are to beat Portugal, we will need to tap out of another vat.

And yeah, we need to be a lot more spirited. We never looked like a team desperate to score the equaliser. Only Hunter tried it on, slapping Schweini's neck and running into people.

But against Portugal, we have to be careful with that. They are better at dirty than we are, says the voice of experience...

Our tactics fail because we don't move at all. Pass the ball, run out of ideas, give it to Robben so he can dribble it into a wall of defenders or try to hoof it into the opponent 16, with only RvP in it and 35 defenders. I accept that that may work against other opponents, but you don't beat a strong team that way.

If we are to beat Portugal, we will need to tap out of another vat.

And yeah, we need to be a lot more spirited. We never looked like a team desperate to score the equaliser. Only Hunter tried it on, slapping Schweini's neck and running into people.

But against Portugal, we have to be careful with that. They are better at dirty than we are, says the voice of experience...

Germany looked pretty good at dirty as well yesterday.

Is it me or do Sneijder and Robben look very, very tired? The former only made short passes and ran with the ball one time iirc and the latter dribbled a lot (lack of options or no lack of options) but ran out of ideas early on and switched to curling the ball in from distance.

We definitely need to be more spirited, but it doesn't have to equate to dirtiness, I just don't want to see us stand there bunched around around the box not bothering to close down the opposition's midfielders who get all the time of the world to thread throughballs to the striker. They shouldn't have anywhere near the time to do that consistently.

ce1239e0b62a11e1a8761231381b4856_6.jpg
Brilliant.

Yeah, crap game (although fun to watch in a Danish bar.......), no passion and Robben is soooooo inefective lately.

Wonder if Bert has the guts to try it against Portugal with a whole new tactic and players (probably not) as with the current formation and players he uses, we aren't going to win against portugal, let alone with 2 goals difference.

Boula to break his leg, problem solved.

I think it would be a very good idea to have Boula casually walk up to Cronaldo and shake his hand, before the match. :D

You need at least one controller.

Controller schmontroller, we need to have 6 attackers so we keep the ball right where it belongs, way at the opponents end. When Nani and Cronaldo get too much of the ball, van Bommel and de Jong won't be able to stop them anyway. Better take more risk with a rather isolated defense, gamble on keeping the ball way up front. We don't need a scrappy win, we need a win by two goals. With our defense, we'll never stop them scoring, so we need about three or four goals. There's only one thing for it: attack like men posessed and screw this failing 'controlling' game.

So, according to AD.nl Kuyt could start as RB... lol

20.33: Afgaande op de training van vanavond lijkt bondscoach Bert van Marwijk een rigoureuze verandering door te voeren in zijn basisformatie. Als we de 'hesjes' als maatstaf nemen speelt Oranje morgen tegen Portugal als volgt: Stekelenburg; Schaars, Heitinga, Boulahrouz, Kuyt (vlnr.); Van der Vaart, De Jong, Van Persie; Sneijder, Huntelaar, Robben.

Bron: ad.nl

Boulahrouz :cool:

Still, I'll believe it when I see it. I don't get the journalists' obsession with 'de hesjes' when they've proven to be as accurate in predicting as a fortune teller at a carnival. But as long as we don't play with two def mids against an opponent who plays virtually nothing through the centre I'm happy enough, I suppose.

• SI Staff
I mean no offence, but what happened to the dutch way of playing football, i mean it was basically the blueprint for how barcelona is playing now. They looked more "german" than the germans

We've been playing like this since pre-World Cup 2010 - how are you still surprised?

I don't understand how Holland can go through.

It's Head to Head with results.

So let's presume Holland win and Germany beat Denmark. This would leave both Denmark and Holland on three points.

Denmark would go through simply because they beat Holland, regardless of Goal difference, surely?

edit: Oh, I didn't take in to account Portugal. That's why it gets messy.

Line up according to AD.nl:

Steek
Kuyt	Boula		Heitinga	Schaars
	N. De Jong
RvP			VdV
Robben		Hunter			Sneijder

and according to Telegraaf:

Steek
Vd Wiel	Boula		Heitinga	Willems

VDV		Sneijder
	Sneijder
Narsingh	Hunter			Robben

Seems both nice.....

Ah, doesn't really matter, if we can keep the 0 at the back..

But surely, if we manage to make this miracle happen, then we should have a confidence boost and be able to beat the Czechs or am I wrong? ( first wait and see if we actually get there).

But this applies also for the Danes and Portugal, both also better then the Czech's.

Archived