Big Club, Small Country - Challenge

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am trying this with cook islands .. I am barcelona mid way through first season .. won basically every game .. cook position come up and the laughed at me basically

Any ideas on why i didnt get the job?

on fm12 most national teams won't appoint a manager in the 1st couple of seasons regardless of what they've achieved.

I am absolutely gutted. I have lost my Minsk save. 10 years in, we finally get to the CL KO stage and I make a school boy error. Been updating my system to Windows 7 64 bit and thought FM was instaled on my E drive so didn't back it up thinking everything would be fine. Transpires I had FM and all folders installed on my C drive. :mad:

Not sure whether to start again or not at this stage. Going to have a think about it whilst I redownload steam and FM

I am absolutely gutted. I have lost my Minsk save. 10 years in, we finally get to the CL KO stage and I make a school boy error. Been updating my system to Windows 7 64 bit and thought FM was instaled on my E drive so didn't back it up thinking everything would be fine. Transpires I had FM and all folders installed on my C drive. :mad:

Not sure whether to start again or not at this stage. Going to have a think about it whilst I redownload steam and FM

Thats really unfortunate SBB hope you do decide to try again was really enjoying seeing the future World Cup winners coming through the ranks.

I should hopefully have my Laptop back tomorrow, there was a problem with getting some part, and a big despute with PCWorld customer services but hopefully I'll be able to continue with my one.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks JIm - it came :( and no kenyan players :(

Then just after i lost against real madrid in the champs league quarter finals 1st leg 4-0 :( (I am top of the league by a mile, and have beat them twice already this season comfortably) then drew against granada :( feel a loss of form coming

GRRR my save game got corrupt :(

Got a backup but its over a month behind. Will go back and continue.

On one hand, im still in the champs league, and i havent had my youth intake yet.

On the other hand i spent HOURS searching for talent from the new regens, and had virtually guranteed the league title, and had 2 3.5 star potential youth players come through.

Got my new Youth Recruitment and got a 2.5 star potential Kenyan winger/striker :) Well chuffed.

Also got a 4 star potential Dc (Spanish) should be better than Pique or Thiago Silva.

Screenies to come later

14/15 was a very disappointing season at Lyon - runner up in all 3 French competitions and out at the 1st KO of the Champions League.

FC Lorient have just had a tycoon take over as well, so there's every chance that they could become a challenger in the next couple of years.

On the plus side, Vaduz got promoted to the Super League with 4 games still to go and are looking pretty good as a result.

One thing I would suggest is try and link the club and the nation together. For example you are more likely to get Malian regens at french clubs and Cape Verde players at Portuguese clubs. Another thing is that the recruitment system works in such a way that it will often recruit players from the local area, so you are more likely to get Luxembourg players coming through at Bundesliga clubs and Liechtensteiner ones at Swiss clubs.

Off the top of my head I would say;

Barcelona - Andorra

Boca/River - Venezuela

Portugal - Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde, Sao Tome e Principe

Milan/Inter - Libya, Somalia, Malta

French clubs - any major Francophone countries in Africa and the Caribbean

Mexico - Central America

Just my opinion. There are plenty more.

I don't think it matters that much about how good your current set-up is. You need choose the right club imo. The youth system will naturally improve in time the more successful you get. So I would recommend setting up the challenge in such a way that you can almost certainly get through certain players at certain clubs.

One thing I would suggest is try and link the club and the nation together. For example you are more likely to get Malian regens at french clubs and Cape Verde players at Portuguese clubs. Another thing is that the recruitment system works in such a way that it will often recruit players from the local area, so you are more likely to get Luxembourg players coming through at Bundesliga clubs and Liechtensteiner ones at Swiss clubs.

Off the top of my head I would say;

Barcelona - Andorra

Boca/River - Venezuela

Portugal - Guinea-Bissau, Cape Verde, Sao Tome e Principe

Milan/Inter - Libya, Somalia, Malta

French clubs - any major Francophone countries in Africa and the Caribbean

Mexico - Central America

Just my opinion. There are plenty more.

I don't think it matters that much about how good your current set-up is. You need choose the right club imo. The youth system will naturally improve in time the more successful you get. So I would recommend setting up the challenge in such a way that you can almost certainly get through certain players at certain clubs.

I agree with this, I see a lot of Serbian regens at Újpest in Hungary, where Zoran Splisjak is manager, but the youth range is not huge.

And also second nationality seems to have an effect, some Serbian/Hungarian regens coming through at Hajduk Kula with Serbian pass/ethnic Hungarian manager

Is there anyway on fmrte of making yourself favioute for the international job .. two years at barca won everything still cant manage cook islands :l

How many players from the cook islands are in your game? If its too low usually less than 90 then the job isn't manageable. go through the process of adding a new manager and and see if its possible to pick them from the nations to take over if not then it may take a long time for it to become manageable as you will need to make sure any of your cook islanders from the youth intake don't retire.

yeahh i have done that 10-15 times and there are manageable :) .. but i cant get the job for some reason :(

Hopefully after your third season of winning things when the job becomes avaliable you should easily get it. I turned down both the England and Mexico jobs before Panama became available and got the job no problem after about the third season

• 2 weeks later...
Am I allowed to Make A New manager,make him manager of Mali then Retire him so i get the job?
Interested in this. I'm just lurking and doing the challenge with Shakhtar and San Marino. Not a fan of doing write ups though sorry!

Am I allowed to Make A New manager,make him manager of Mali then Retire him so i get the job?
Interested in this. I'm just lurking and doing the challenge with Shakhtar and San Marino. Not a fan of doing write ups though sorry!

I guess that could be allowed once other nations start offering you jobs, as it would show that you've caught the eye of the international stage. As you should've been successful enough at club level to make the world take notice. I should point out however that even though your managing a big club almost every nation will laugh off your applications in the 1st couple of years as your reputation isn't going to be high enough

I guess that could be allowed once other nations start offering you jobs, as it would show that you've caught the eye of the international stage. As you should've been successful enough at club level to make the world take notice. I should point out however that even though your managing a big club almost every nation will laugh off your applications in the 1st couple of years as your reputation isn't going to be high enough
Debatable, in my first season I have reached the top 10 manager in Ukraine ever. I reached the champions League final and got thrashed by Real Madrid though :/ 5-0 Thanks for the update though, will make sure I stick to the rules!

• 3 months later...
This is a really good challenge. Deserves to be upped so others can see it.

Yeah I was going to run it again when FM13 came out, very few challenges in this forum let you take over the big teams while still giving the added difficulty of doing the near impossible

• 2 weeks later...

I've started this as Chelsea and Guatemala. Didn't want to wait until the end of the 1st season for my first regens so holidayed through the first year, and got sacked. Added another Guatamalan manager as Chelsea manager but does that mean I won't get any Guatemalan regens this year?

I've started this as Chelsea and Guatemala. Didn't want to wait until the end of the 1st season for my first regens so holidayed through the first year, and got sacked. Added another Guatamalan manager as Chelsea manager but does that mean I won't get any Guatemalan regens this year?

You still have a good chance of guatemalans, the sample screenshots in the opening post were all from the same save. I holidayed to just before the intake then added the different nationalities of managers.

Wow what a great concept for a game. I never realised you could influence academy intake via manager nationality, so thanks Jim (and ri for the bump!).

I've been scouring the forums today looking for a long term challenge after I broke my leg in 2 places last week and am now pretty much sofa-bound! I have a slight obsession with Liechtenstein (Vaduz in particular, I was actually very close to going out and meeting the players a few years ago, but that's another story!) so I will be taking control of Barcelona and will be a Liechtensteiner manager.

Judging by some of the posts' advice I'll stick in the Swiss league as well. Here goes..!

FC Barcelona Hire Stocklasa

Barcelona have today announced the shock appointment of 32 year old ex-Liechtenstein international footballer Ben Stocklasa as their new manager. Stocklasa, who made 42 appearances for his country and scored 2 goals, has said that he is delighted with his appointment and will aim to emulate the success of outgoing head coach Pep Guardiola.

My first signing was Sandro Wieser, the best Liechtensteiner player in the DB by some margin. I've sent him to Barcelona B to try and get him plenty of games in a competitive division. He's also being mentored by Xavi - not a bad player to learn from!

I don't usually play with a big club so I'm looking forward to actually competing for trophies! Here's hoping some very nice looking Liechtensteiners come through as well :)

Guys, ive been playing a game using this with a view to perhaps doing it as my main FM13 game. Ive just reached my 2nd batch of regens and still not a single Guatemalan. Does that indicate that it doesn't really work, and in fact setting your nationality has little or no bearing on the regens you get?

Guys, ive been playing a game using this with a view to perhaps doing it as my main FM13 game. Ive just reached my 2nd batch of regens and still not a single Guatemalan. Does that indicate that it doesn't really work, and in fact setting your nationality has little or no bearing on the regens you get?

You've just been unlucky with your intakes so far, the managers nationality increases the chance of players of that nationality coming through the youth intake but it doesn't neccesseraly guarantee them every season. I tested this out before I started the challenge, the screenshots in the opening post were all from one save where I holidayed to just before the intake and added managers to the 2 Milan teams took screenies, then reloaded to just before the intake and tried different nationalities.

Thanks Jim. I've actually just had my third youth intake, I wanted to wait a few years before getting an update up. The league is pretty comfy, you almost have unlimited money and Leo Messi is so good he's almost a cheat player :D.

I'll get an update up once I've finished the third season later today and then get yearly updates up after that. No Frick-esque strikers yet but a couple of promising players!

FC Barcelona 2011-14 Update

As mentioned in my previous post, I wanted to wait a couple of seasons before getting an update up. I'm not going to focus on Barcelona's overall performance too much because basically we have been invincible. Instead I will briefly go over my strongest side and a few gems (Warning - player naming!)

Here is my current strongest lineup:

GK: Marc-Andre ter Stegen

DR: Daniel Alves

DC: Gerard Piqué

DC: Jan Vertonghen

DL: José Ángel

DM: Daniele De Rossi

MC: Thiago

MC: Cesc Fabregas

AML: Lucas Moura

AMR: Leo Messi

ST: Neymar

You will probably notice a few absentees, namely Valdes in goal as well as the midfield maestro duo of Xavi and Iniesta.

Valdes was sold to AC Milan for £15m in the middle of the 2013/14 season. Although still relatively young at 31, he had been poor for the entirety of the campaign, and he was asking for a pretty large wage to extend his contract which was up at the end of the season. With able backups in ter Stegen, Alphonse Areola and newgen Alvaro Gil I felt we could pass on the baton.

Xavi had suffered several debilitating injuries over the course of my time in charge and had declined pretty significantly after a decent first season. He too went in the January window in 2014, to Deportivo for £10m. I felt like he should get a chance to start somewhere else rather than barely make my bench.

Iniesta is still in my squad and is the first player brought on in most circumstances. Two muscle tears - to the groin and calf - sustained in the space of 9 months of each other have left him wanting physically, but he can certainly still spray a pass, and he ended with a 7.25 average from the 17 league games he appeared in. Thiago's development has been almost astronomical, I certainly had my eye on him in the B side when I took over, but he has gone from strength to strength to dislodge Andres.

OK, onto the juicy bit - the Liechtenstein contingent.

First up is Sandro Wieser, the young midfielder who currently plies his trade with Hoffenheim in the Bundesliga in real life, was my first signing as Barcelona manager. He has since spent time in the under 19s and the B team, and spent the last season out on loan with Eibar in the Spanish lower leagues. He hasn't gone much hope of making the Barca first team, but I hope he will benefit from our coaching and tutoring to become a figurehead for the national team. He already has 29 caps at 21 years old.

Next up is my first Liechtensteiner youth academy graduate, who came through in the second season after an all-Spanish intake in 2012. Sebastian Kraus is a central midfielder currently rated as a 1.5* prospect by my coaches. Not actually too bad considering the talent we have at our disposal to compare him to! He has made seven appearances for the Liechtenstein u21 side. I'm hoping to get him under someone's wing for some tutoring next season.

In my latest academy bunch I got two Liechtensteiners through! First up in that batch is goalkeeper Tim-Julian Siegl. He's pretty awful to be honest but has already made three appearances for the u19 national side (OK he's the only keeper in there, but still!). I'll of course hold onto him as long as possible in an attempt to buff a few attributes.

Last, but certainly not least, is full back Rouven Kempe. He's rated by my coaches as a 2* prospect at the moment, and he certainly has a good base on which to build his attributes. I'm loving the 13 passing, which makes him one of only THREE Liechtensteiners in the whole database with passing that high (Kraus is another one of the three!). Although he hasn't played for the national team at any level yet I'm hopeful he will be fast tracked to the big time.

The plan for next season is to try and bring in more Liechtensteiner coaches (I've signed 2 very good ones up already), and try to get Kraus and Kempe (The Special K's maybe?!) some game time at u19 level. I'm also really trying to get Vaduz as a feeder club in order to send out my youngsters on loan, but the board can't get an agreement in place yet. I shall persevere!

Hi,

This might be a dumb question, but, can you please let me know how do I "Load all players from chosen Nation"? I know I can customize the database at the time of game setup, but not sure what conditions would make sure all players from the chosen nation would be included

Please help me out here. Many thanks

-Mugu

Hey musantha. For my Liechtenstein game I used a custom database with all Liechtenstein players loaded, and also included the Swiss leagues in my game setup, because this is where Liechtensteiner teams play. I would definitely say its worth loading the league(s) up that are most likely to include additional players from your nation.

Thanks benrollo. How do you load all the liechtenstein players? Which attributes to use when defining the custom DB?

I've uploaded a screenshot below to show how I did it - choose Custom in the Database Size drop down and then select the option 'Players based in nation'.

Overview Screen

This, along with loading the Swiss leagues, has given me a current total of 101 Liechtensteiners in the database (not sure how many there would have been at the beginning, obviously there have been retirements and newgens since then)

I am going to give this a shot. Here goes my manager's profile with nationality as Indian

====

Manchester United have hired santh mugund as their new head coach.

The thirty-two year old is reportedly delighted to be given the opportunity to hone his coaching skills at Old Trafford and the Red Devils supporters will certainly be hoping that mugund can take their team to new heights.

====

FC Barcelona Liechtenstiener Review 2014-15

Another season, another promising Liechtensteiner through the Barcelona academy. Introducing...

Benjamin Thiele

Beni is currently rated as a 2* prospect by my coaches, and was immediately fast tracked into the Liechtenstein under-21 set up.

And how about my previous graduates? Here's how they are looking:

Tim-Julian Siegl --- 2013/14 Profile

Tim has seen very little improvement in his stats from last season which would seem to show that my coaches have their assessment bang on! He did however make the step up to the under-21s set up for his country and played 9 games for them. He even managed to keep a clean sheet!

Rouven Kempe --- 2013/14 Profile

Rouven is really coming along nicely, and was for a while rated as a 2.5* prospect by my coaches. He is now a fixture in the under-21s and has banged in a couple of goals in the 11 matches he has played. I'm hoping he gets a call up to the senior squad soon as he is head and shoulders above half the players in there! I recently signed him up to pro terms and he is currently being tutored by Gerard Pique - not too shabby! I'm hoping to get him a couple of Spanish Cup games this season too if possible.

Sebastian Kraus --- 2013/14 Profile

Seba has also made good progress this season, although his mental attributes are leaving a lot to be desired. Maybe this is because he needs some tutoring, but at present I can't seem to assign anyone to him. He leads the way for the Barca Liechtensteiners with 17 youth caps, and I expect a senior call up is not too far away. Technically he is one of the finest players for his nation in the database - his first touch is higher than any other player, his passing only matched by Kempe and Wieser (good to see the Barca way of playing rubbing off on them!) and his technique leads the way as well. Add to that some not too shabby physicals and you would expect some senior action this season. Maybe his mentals will hold him back.

And finally (although he isn't actually a newgen)...

Sandro Wieser --- 2013/14 Profile

Sandro was loaned out to Huesca in the Spanish Second Division where he played in 15 league games with an average rating of 7.07. He did also appear in two games for Barcelona B, and recorded a goal as well.

My coaches have pretty much dismissed him as useless but that hasn't stopped me offering him a new 5 year contract! This boy is going to be integral to Liechtenstein's future so he needs to be somewhere he can reach his potential. Sandro also had the joy of scoring his first international goal in a 2-0 win over Luxembourg.

I've also put Liechtenstein's world ranking below. Unfortunately I only have from July 2013 onwards, but I'll do this every season now!

rankingpt.png

Their big rise up the rankings in September 2013 was thanks to a 2-1 win over Lithuania in World Cup qualifying. They followed that up with a few more rises later in the year as they won three games on the trot, which surely has to be some kind of record! Malta, Luxembourg and Armenia were all dispatched by their mighty opponent. Liechtenstein have now settled around 110th place.

I still can't get Vaduz as a feeder club so I've resorted to pretty much clearing out my under-19s in order to ensure my youngsters get decent game time this season.

BTW, I am playing with the latest transfers update pack from pr0

Is this fine or should I play only with an official update?

Can someone pls clarify

-Mugu

For the challenge its just meant to be the official one, the only changes you are permitted are cosmetic ones that change competition names etc.

But seen as we are only a matter of weeks away from FM13 being released, you can do the challenge with the other database if you wish, but when I run the challenge for FM13 it will strictly be the official one only

Archived