Big Club, Small Country - Challenge

Thanks Jim...I haven't gotten much into my previous game...wanted to clarify before delving in..No worries.....will start a new one with the official DB

Was more excited to play with Man U and RVP :) will wait for FM13 for that

Cheers,

Mugu

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FC Barcelona Liechtenstein Review 2015-16

After another season of domination for Barcelona, we welcomed our fifth Liechtensteiner into our youth ranks.

Sascha Wolf is a young goalkeeper who was originally rated as a 2* prospect but has since dropped to 1.5*. Either way, he has a lot more upside than our other Liechtensteiner 'keeper Siegl. Sascha has been a regular in the under-21 national set up but is yet to unseat the current number 1, the aforementioned Siegl. I imagine the unseating will happen soon!

So, on to my other graduates:

Tim-Julian Siegl --- 2013/14 Profile --- 2014/15 Season

TJ has made a little progress this season but I imagine he is probably close to his peak. He's now up to 16 u21 caps but I'd be very surprised if he made it to the senior side. He also asked for a very extortionate 2 grand a week to go professional. I got him down to 1.5k but I think with the arrival of Sascha Wolf that Tim may become my first release candidate.

Rouven Kempe --- 2013/14 Profile --- 2014/15 Profile

It was a pretty big year for Rouven, the only thing that would have topped it off would have been a full international cap. Surely that can't be far away now?!

He made 41 appearances in total for the club, 40 of those coming in the under 19s league and one solitary appearance in the Spanish Cup. And in that game, this happened...

[video=youtube;wM4LZH24LuY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wM4LZH24LuY

OK so it's not exactly a wonder goal but 1 in 1 ain't bad!

His attributes have developed nicely thanks to a bout of tutoring from a couple of first teamers. He is going to be promoted to the senior side this season in a bid to get those attributes boosted a bit higher!

Sebastian Kraus --- 2013/14 Profile --- 2014/15 Profile

Seba had a good season. Plenty of appearances at under 19 level and a pretty good return of a goal every four games. I also managed to convince Thiago to tutor Kraus this season and as a result his mentals increased pretty significantly in some areas. Determination alone went up four points!

He'll be too old for the u19s next season so he will most likely be moved to the B team or loaned out if I can find any takers.

Benjamin Thiele --- 2014/15 Profile

Beni had a storming season with the under 19s, banging in 19 goals in 33 games. He's also jumped up to a 2.5* prospect so I have high hopes for him, especially as he has a couple more years in the under 19s. His physicals are coming along nicely too.

I won't track Sandro Wieser's progress as he isn't a newgen, but as you can see he is coming along nicely. He spent his third consecutive season out on loan, again in the lower divisions. He did well, racking up a 7.39 average. He is also just two caps away from a half-century for his country which isn't too shabby for a 23 year old. Bets on how many he retires with? Must be looking at 100+.

Finally, Liechtenstein's world ranking. They have really struggled in the past year, losing seven consecutive matches. Surely time to bring in some fresh (Barca!) blood.

ranking1516.png

Still trying to get Vaduz as a feeder club!

Been thinking about this and may start a game this afternoon. One thing was thinking, what happens if I do a second nationality will those players come through too?

I've no idea, I've never used a second nationality. But it will probably happen as sometimes they come through as the same nationality as coaches and the chairman

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Maybe the Paris FC recruitment is not quite far reaching yet, I wouldn't expect any different nationalities in the Icelandic one

I've had several crap Australian\Icelandic players come through in an Iceland save starting with sunday league experience and a division one side.

Going to give this a test in the FM13 Beta to see what happens.

Hi - I cant see the FM13 version of this, so I guess I'll start off posting here. If anyone can point me towards the FM13 thread, I'll repost there. For some reason it won't let me update my profile screenshot, but I'm Guatamalan.

I've been delayed in getting the FM13 version up, will probably be after the full release so I can check the editor for the clubs with the best facilities, and also the numbers of players in database for each nation. Post in here just now and we'll copy the posts into the new thread once its up and running.

OK so having got to about October, I realised I hadn't loaded all the Guatemalan players. So have restarted for one last time.

One question - are we allowed to sign and train up players from our chosen country or only those that come up through our youth team?

I'll post season updates starting soon :)

Believe you can sign whoever you want. It all helps to get the national team to the top.

I'll probably be coming back for this challenge. Got some unfinished work in Minsk and Belarus, just hope the facilities are still shown as a good standard at Dinamo.

I'm going to be dipping my toe into this assuming all goes to plan - currently got a journeyman game rolling but have selected my nationalities to conform with this challenge - my intention is to eventually get to the rep level where I can manage a club that would make doing this challenge possible

Arsenal_FC.svg

GreyedOutMan - Arsenal/Guatemala - 2012/13

Really frustrating season as I tried to get to grips with what seems to me a much harder version of FM. I signed Fernando Llorente but for the first half of the season, he was dire. Really abysmal. Then I sent him to the reserves for a month and he came back a different player, albeit still moody. No team-talk seems to improve his morale, and he's just impossible to deal with so I'm thinking of moving him on if I can make a profit on him this summer.

League Table

League Positions Graph

Improvement towards the back-end of the season saw us very nearly sneak into an unlikely Champions' League place, but four consecutive draws at the end of April and start of May (Three at home: Newcastle, Southampton away, West Ham and Swansea), put paid to that possibility. It was a disappointing season, of that there is no doubt.

Capital One Cup - a full team ran Chelsea close.

FA Cup - messy during a really poor spell for the club. The 5-1 defeat at Norwich was the low point in the season, Llorente was mainly to blame I think.

Champions' League - the Ajax game was with a genuine youth side after winning all five of the previous games. Amazing comeback against Barcelona, having been 3-1 down in the Nou Camp. Disappointing that we were so poor against Bayern, because it was starting to open up for us and we could have actually won the thing this year. I believe the first leg was Llorente's comeback, though, and to get a goal at that stage of the season was crucial - he was vastly improved in the remainder of the season.

Squad - slightly disappointing really this year. The defenders were, by a distance, the best performers thsi year, although Mikel Arteta was very important to the team.

Transfers - bought Ba mainly because of his low release clause, might look to move him on this year now that I've also got Llorente. Mandanda seems to be doing OK, but eventually I'd like Szczesny to take back over. Rojo was a panic buy having let Santos go out on loan and seen Gibbs get injured. But he did OK.

Finances - down mainly because of Llorente. Will need to get rid of some overpaid dead wood this summer, without a doubt. Planning to get a lot of youngsters with a load of potential in, along with perhaps a couple of decent full-backs.

Season Awards

Team of the Season

Mertesacker got the Fans' Player of the Year award, and I have no arguments with that. Koscielny ran him close, particularly after a good end to the season.

Career Summary

[u]Season      League       FA Cup     League Cup       Europe                 Other[/u]
2012/13     6th          5th Round  3rd Round        Champions' League QF   Nothing.

Records Broken

None so far.

Arsenal's Guatemalans:

None so far.

Guatemala

Qualified easily from their 3rd World Cup Qualifying group, finishing 2nd behind Jamaica and ahead of Cuba and Antigua/Barbuda. Lost to Honduras in the Copa Centroamericana Final after victories over Belize and El Salvador. Have made a poor start to their final qualifying group, bottom of a tough group including Mexico, Jamaica, Honduras, USA and Trinidad and Tobago having lost all 3 of their opening matches. After improving through the season, they dropped back and ended the season about the same ranking as before. I've been going crazy with Guatemalan scouting though, and it turns out that there's not a single Guatemalan who has the potential to be anywhere near my team at the moment. Hopefully that will start to change. The sale of Mendoza from a Guatemalan team to an Austrian one seems to indicate a gradual upshift in quality of players in Guatemala which can only be good for the standard of Newgens.

Summary

Arsenal_FC.svg

GreyedOutMan - Arsenal/Guatemala - 2012/13

Stupid. Stupid, stupid stupid. What a pathetic end to a promising season.

League Table - the last 14 games saw defeats to Wigan, Man Utd, Liverpool, West Brom and Newcastle as well as draws with Stoke and Southampton. Cost us very dear.

League Positions Graph - we could easily have won the title this year despite never being top after December. Until right at the end, we had lost the fewest games in the league.

Still, major improvement on last year and with a few lucky breaks, it could have been so different.

Capital One Cup - gave the fringe players runs in this competition, including against Chelsea, when a stronger team might have won that game.

FA Cup - major major shock here, going out in round 4 to Stevenage. Shocking.

Squad - once again the centre-backs were the outstanding players, which sums up the problem with the side, really.

Transfers - some major signings didn't really come off this year. Bender did OK, but for someone who cost nearly £20m, not well enough. Isco did better, but wasn't really much of an upgrade on Cazorla. His age was of course the main reason for this, though - and he will improve. Babacar did well and I negotiated a £5m fee if he was a success so he will be joining on a permanent basis during June.

Finances - on a worrying downward trend but Champions' League football next year should offset it as long as I don't spend too much this summer.

Season Awards

Mertesacker, Llorente and Podolski made the squad for the Premiership team of the year

Arsenal Team of the Season. Mertesacker won the Fans' Player of the Year Award for the 2nd season running.

Historic Team. Bender and Kolarov inducted.

Bizarrely, Per Mertesacker won the goal of the season award! But for some reason it wouldn't let me upload the goal to show you :(

Career Summary

[u]Season      League       FA Cup     League Cup       Europe                 Other[/u]

2012/13     6th          5th Round  3rd Round        Champions' League QF   Nothing.
2013/14     3rd          4th Round  4th Round        None                   Nothing.

Records Broken

None so far.

Arsenal's Guatemalans:

Delio Castillo wasn't originally offered a contract but I managed to persuade him to rejoin in June after being released by Liam Brady. Probably won't amount to much but might be Guatemala's best player.

Guatemala

A season to remember for Guatemala as they qualified for their first ever World Cup, quite unbelievable given their lack of quality. Obviously, they got hammered, but to qualify for a World Cup at last is a good base to work from for future years, perhaps with me as manager! Summary showing massive strides in the standing of Guatemala's national side this year.

• 1 year later...
Does anyone know if this still works in FM14? It seems the amount of players with the managers nationality coming through the youth ranks has decreased?

From my experiences i have seen very little coming through with my managers Nationality. Sometimes i have had 1 players through but for the most part it's been none.

• 4 weeks later...

Had so much fun with this on last years game. Was Real Madrid and Nicaragua (Of whom I have ties with anyway so was the natural choice). Won our first ever international title which was the Central American Nations Cup and received this lovely message

2014-02-25_00004_zps87bc83a5.jpg

As you can see by the screenshot we also qualified for our first ever World Cup, although losing all 3 group games we were leading Spain 1-0 and 2-1 in our first ever World Cup game.

If it is still working with FM2014 I may give it a go soon. Belize and Sporting Lisbon I think.

I'm doing it again atm with Nicaragua/Real Madrid again. End of 1st season I had one NIcaraguan come through and I've had one this season (My second) come through. I just made sure All my U19 staff are Nicaraguan and most of my scouts are Nicaraguan. Seem to have worked.

I manage in the conference but i still had one Maltese regen come through, as that's my nationality on it. He was terrible as i'm at a low level but i guess it shows it can still work on FM 14

Coming up to the end of my first season with Sporting Lisbon and the youth candidates have come in.. one Belize youngster already, plus he's got a potential rating of 4 star :)

So it still works.

If only I had more time to create posts I would provide updates for my career but I'm preferring just getting through it quickly. Will let you guys know should I get a Belize superstar.

Tullem I think its bigest problem of this challenge sofar if your youth get double nationality and he is amazing he will probably join nation where you playing atm . But i guess you can try change hes mind after 24 yo if he dont start play in first team .

Archived