Explosion in London Underground

defusion

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

CNN are wrong from what I understand - there have been at least 6. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>they were saying that because explosions occurred between stations that they were counted "doubly" - does anyone with knowledge of the Underground believe that's true? are the six sites "twinned" with another, if that makes any sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's not true.

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Francis Cole:

Police have just confirmed 7 explosions (BBC 24) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>we'll see how long it takes CNN to get their numbers back in line.

I'm guessing 15 more minutes icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jon Kennett:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by iron-bullet:

There was a suicide bomber shot in Canary Wharf </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? I always imagined that Canary Wharf would be attacked first in an act of terrorism </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think Canary Wharf is probably too well policed since 9/11 - then again, what's to stop Al-Qaeda getting a private jet and flying that into a building?

The likes of Bin Laden are loaded with cash - they don't need to hijack a passenger plane.

Possibly:

Off the top of my head Liverpool street and aldgate east are connected, and IIRC the reports about that blast are that it was between the 2 stations.

Russell Square and King's Cross I think are connected to, so it's possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJ Totney:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hell Hath No Fury:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Andy Jordan:

CNN TV is saying that Scotland Yard reports 4 explosions, not 7. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

3 may have been controlled? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Possibly - seems there are suspect packages everywhere.

A reporter at Gleneagles says the hotel where journalists were staying in Glasgow has been evacuated (reports Fox News). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would wait until confirmed by MET/LAS, speculation by News Agencies is common in these situations.

Im off to bed guys, I hope everything is fine with all of you and take care!

Glad no one from here was hurt (from what ive seen so far).

Sometimes it pays off to be someone who sits at home all day posting. icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JoeyM:

CNN are wrong from what I understand - there have been at least 6. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>they were saying that because explosions occurred between stations that they were counted "doubly" - does anyone with knowledge of the Underground believe that's true? are the six sites "twinned" with another, if that makes any sense. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Kings Cross and Russell Sq. are next to each other and earlier SkyNews were suggesting that a train exploded inbetween the two stations, but I cannot elaborate on that because the phone rang.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mopman:

the two government tv stations are covering the blast...the mainstream channels have gone back to rubbish TV

50 deaths reported on australian tv

icon_frown.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>all the figures they've given here indicate "double digits" icon_frown.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamonWattsok:

I was in asda yesterday when the indian guy in front of me dropped his wallet. I gave it him back being the honest guy that I am and he told me to stay away from the London Underground today!

icon_eek.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

christ

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DamonWattsok:

I was in asda yesterday when the indian guy in front of me dropped his wallet. I gave it him back being the honest guy that I am and he told me to stay away from the London Underground today!

that really ****ed me off! you ****ing c0ck

Sounds dodgy - tell it to the cops.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by pjburrage:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DJ Totney:

Possibly - seems there are suspect packages everywhere.

A reporter at Gleneagles says the hotel where journalists were staying in Glasgow has been evacuated (reports Fox News). </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would wait until confirmed by MET/LAS, speculation by News Agencies is common in these situations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know, I am a journalist! icon_wink.gif

But this reporter was actually staying at the hotel in Glasgow which was evacuated. I don't think it was because of a suspect package, though - I think just a precaution.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by giblets_of_fire:

christ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a variation on an old rumour, mate.

It takes them to actually "claim" responsibility for it before people start discussing them.

For much of the time until then it was "oh, well, er ... it's a power surge or something"

Pi$$es me right off.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

By AMY TEIBEL, Associated Press Writer 33 minutes ago

JERUSALEM - British police told the Israeli Embassy in London minutes before Thursday's explosions that they had received warnings of possible terror attacks in the city, a senior Israeli official said.

ADVERTISEMENT

Israeli Finance Minister

Benjamin Netanyahu had planned to attend an economic conference in a hotel over the subway stop where one of the blasts occurred, and the warning prompted him to stay in his hotel room instead, government officials said.

Foreign Minister Silvan Shalom said he wasn't aware of any Israeli casualties.

Just before the blasts, Scotland Yard called the security officer at the Israeli Embassy to say they had received warnings of possible attacks, the official said. He did not say whether British police made any link to the economic conference.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because of the nature of his position.

The Israeli Embassy was in a state of emergency after the explosions in London, with no one allowed to enter or leave, said the Israeli ambassador to London, Zvi Hefet.

All phone lines to the embassy were down, said Danny Biran, an Israeli Foreign Ministry official.

The ministry set up a situation room to deal with hundreds of phone calls from concerned relatives. Thousands of Israelis are living in London or visiting the city at this time, Biran said.

Amir Gilad, a Netanyahu aide, told

Israel Radio that Netanyahu's entourage was receiving updates all morning from British security officials, and "we have also asked to change our plans."

Netanyahu had been scheduled to stay in London until Sunday, but that could change, Gilad said.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>icon_eek.gif

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050707/ap...britain_explosions_1

seems to go against the previous claims I read in here

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gw79:

7 explosions on the 7th day of the 7th month seems logical for the want of a better word. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Co-ordinated? 'Logic' doesn't seem to be suitable perhaps! I thought the incident in Russel Square was a mistake about the bus explosion in Tavistock?

Damonwattsok icon_biggrin.gif Hope you could identify him in a line-up.

Ive just printed out 5 A3 sheets of map to walk to streatham.

I will be absolutely amazed if the deaths dont rise. Buses and trains are packed at the time the bombs went off.

The bus was blown up as when people can't get the tube they get on the buses.

I wonder what size the bombs were and whether they were intended to cause loss of life or destroy the transport system. Probably both.

There are people trapped on a tube near Kings Cross. I'd hate to see the state of the tube stations.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by giblets_of_fire:

Think you might want to be reporting him tbh and giving description to the police.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by fazpac:

Are the mobile phone networks still down? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

In London, probably yes (don't know though).

Elsewhere, they're just unable to cope with the demand as so many people are trying to get through. I can't contact anyone...

Possibly:

Off the top of my head Liverpool street and aldgate east are connected, and IIRC the reports about that blast are that it was between the 2 stations.

Russell Square and King's Cross I think are connected to, so it's possible. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think this is true because there was some reports from people that live above metro live that there was some kind of rocking.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by miller_merry:

Think you might want to be reporting him tbh and giving description to the police. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is that true?

icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hell Hath No Fury:

DADS FINE \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to hear it mate

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by something less annoying:

That's a variation on an old rumour, mate. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, a classic old scare story that he just happened to remember today and thought it would be clever to bring up icon_rolleyes.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by gavinho:

Ive just printed out 5 A3 sheets of map to walk to streatham.

I will be absolutely amazed if the deaths dont rise. Buses and trains are packed at the time the bombs went off.

The bus was blown up as when people can't get the tube they get on the buses.

I wonder what size the bombs were and whether they were intended to cause loss of life or destroy the transport system. Probably both.

There are people trapped on a tube near Kings Cross. I'd hate to see the state of the tube stations. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I assume there must be people on tube trains - if all the power went off, loads and loads of trains must have got stuck in tunnels, surely?

And the ones that had bombs on - there could be a hundred in a carriage and others may have suffocated.

Death toll's going to rise and rise... I'm amazed so few have been confirmed dead so far icon_frown.gif

Not funny tbh

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bucket:

DADS FINE \o/ </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good to hear it mate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks. I tried tom get ahold of him and wasn't getting through icon_frown.gif, but then he rang back icon_smile.gif I cannt explain how great I felt after hearing that ringtone icon_biggrin.gif

• SI Staff

yay I was about 20 or so mins from being blown up at kings cross, our train got pulled up at potters bar and we eventually got one back to cambridge.

Archived