The Official FM 2008 Chelsea Thread

TheRandomGuy

Need some advice please guys. I'm four seasons into a game (8.0.2) and have just joined Chelsea, who suprisingly only finished 12th the previous season icon_eek.gif

The strikers need a major overhaul as Drogba is 32 and Anelka, Kalou, Shevchenko have all left the club. Sahar is the only other striker remainign at the club but looks under developed, so I can't chuck him in the deep end. As well as this, the defence needs strengthenning as Carvalho, Mancienne and Ben Haim have left leaving only Terry and Alex at CB, Ivanovic at RB, Cashley and Bridge at LB.

My budget is "only" £60m, which I don't believe is enough to get the players that will enable the club to challenge for the title again. Now here's the dilemma...I've just been offered £30m for Scott Sinclair from Real Madrid and am unsure as whether to accept. Like Sahar, he looks under developed especially given I'm 4 seasons in but then again he is only 21, so should improve. I would probably play him AML but I have a lot of top quality midfielders already at the club who can play in that position, such as Modric, Joe Cole etc.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

realistically don't tell the the club that you will challenge for the title..if possible.. because you probably won't this season...

sort out your defense before anything else (the best offence is a defence)i'd try and get soem younger players on the brink of making it, maybe guilherme, the defender, actually get both...one at the back and one at the front:P, play di santo up front

sell drogba for whatever you can but wait until you have a replacement. i guess pizarro and di santo could do it for now.

i don't really know whos who in the 4th season as im only up to my 2nd but that is where i'd start

so hold onto him koz you need a striker and hes a pretty good striker

even though he's a better midfielder

you can buy guilherme (ST) for about 5-10 mill in season 1-2 from cruziero but i don't know about sn 4

if you do buy guilherme try and get kerlon from cruziero aswell, he'll be a bit more but they have worked together in the past so they'll be familiar with each other...

do you still have alcides...koz he can fill in the back line if needed, and you could see if bridge or cole can be re-trained as a central DF

but like i said, im only 2nd season

but i want to help chelsea succeed just like they did in the weekend:P

60 million pounds is plenty to get some quality players. Scout reports! Do plenty of player research, its invaluable down the road.....sell sinclair, 30 million is too much to turn down. with 90 you can do wonders, but don't put all your funds into a couple players, go for a little depth since you seem to be lacking that! good luck mate

Im in my first season at chelsea, still with 3 weeks of the transfer window left. im playing the 4-3-3 that chelsea plays in real life. my current squad is:

GK: Cech/Cudicini

RB: Ivanovic/Beletti

LB: Cole/Bridge

RCB:Terry/Alex

LCB:Carvalo/Ben Haim

RCM:Lampard/Sidwell

CCM:Essien/Mikel

LCM:Ballack/Fernandez

RAM:Cole/SWP

LAM:Maluda/Kalou

ST: Drogba/Anelka

I have about £50million to spend.

My plans are to buy: Aguero

De Guzman

Alves

My plans are to sell:Beletti

Malouda/Kalou

Anelka

What do you think? any opinions or advice would be welcome

i wouldnt sell malouda mate hes an assist machine! have you kept shevchenko and pizarro? if not i would sell them and kept anelka and sell him next season. also kalou becomes an amazing player for me so not sure i would sell him, i would flog ballack instead and maybe joe cole. also sidwell is rubbish sell him. i agree get rid of belletti have you sold ferrira? other than that looks good.

i sold SWP, Bridge, Alex and Ben haim 1st season aswell though

1st season with Chelsea and I won the league by 17 points and F.A.CUP beating Man Utd 2-1. The top scorer was of course Drogba with 24 goals in the season,low I know but goals were spread around the team. Never lost a league game as link shows http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q239/stevio11/Winningseason.jpg

I brought Duda,Marcelo,Van der Vart,Mertesacker and Otti plus Sakho and Witsel for the future and sold SWP,Carvalho and Ferreira. I have agreed a deal to buy David Bentley and with Cech unhappy ,I will sell for 32 million and buy Sebastin Frey as his Replacement.I will also now strengthen the reserves as they will be the players for the future and my scouts have found some very good youngsters.

i use a variety of formations, depending on opponents, Home/Away, the scouts report, and current form & morale of team...

(Might i add im also the team psyhciatrist :p)

i use 4-2-3-1 as my attacking formation

4-1-4-1 is my defensive formation (only really use it when im 1 goal up against major clubs)

my main formation though is 4-3-1-2 with wingers, probably my most successful one to date.

so just try a couple out, but not too many as it may unsettle the players

Originally posted by Forest_Till_I_Die:

In your opinion what is the best working formation with Chelsea in the first season?

442 assuming your using the 8.0.2 patch. With my tactic my record stands as follows played 33 games won 29 drawn 3 and lost 1 (needless to say im in the first season)

Ok i have just asked for a new feeder club and i lucky got given the chance to choose Osaka FC from Japan. Now i know that this will great for the merchandising side of things, but does anyone know of any good Players there that i could bring to Chelsea to make merchandising there go mad

Ok just went through winter transers for the 08/09 season and i ended up Dumping alot of baggage players, in the vicinity of 20 free transfers :p

instead of going through the transfers, i'll just list my squads

First Team

GK - Petr Cech, Vincent Enyeama

DF - Micah Richards, John Terry, Ricardo Carvalho, Armand Traore, Vincent Kompany, Tal Ben-Haim, Alex

MF - Frank Lampard, Michael Essien, Joe Cole, Florent Malouda, Luka Modirc, Michael Ballack

ST - Didier Drogba, Nicolas Anelka, Guilherme, Ben Sahar

Reserve Squad

GK - Carlo Cuducini(Lst), Rhys Taylor

DF - Alcides, Sam Hutchinson, Michael Mancienne, Wayne Bridge, Alex Arribas, Simon Kjaer, Pichu Atienza,

MF - Mads Laudrup, Jonathon Franks, Scott Sinclair, Diego Buonanotte, Phillip Cocu(player/coach), Edgar Davids (player/coach)

ST - Kenwyne Jones, Chris Killen, Morten Nielsen

Youth Squad (main players)

GK - Dean Bouzanis

DF - Jeffrey Bruma, Steve Jarman, Patrick van Aarnholt, Joe Ashworth, Kevin Upton

MF - Connor Clifford, Thiago, Jacopo Sala, Georginio Wijnaldum, David Russell, Gael Kakuta, Jacob Mellis

ST - Frank Nouble

Feeder Clubs

PSV - Daryl Murphy, Shaun Wright-Phillips, Belletti, Slobodan Rajkovic, Landon Donovan

Westerlo - Michael Woods, Michael Modubi, Emmanuel Sarki,

Hibernian - Ashley Chambers,

Other Loans

Khalid Boulahrouz - Sporting CP

Jack Cork - Dundee United

Claude Makalele - Norwich

John Obi Mikel - Sevilla

Steve Sidwell - Celtic

Salomon Kalou - Sevilla

Franco di Santo - Torino

Claudio Pizarro - Sampdoria

Branislav Ivanovic - Juventus

just finished the 1st season with chelsea, won the premeirship, but the intresting thing is drogba was amazing. scored 43 in 48 games !!

i didnt buy any major players, expect Aguero.. which wasn't in the lineup, he was a sub for Drogba whom had a perfect season (32 goals in 30 league games he was in the lineup, and 2 came on from the bench)

my defence was the best in the league, conceded only 16 goals. cech - belleti - terry - caravalio - a. cole

Nearly half way though the second season now,winning the prem by 11 points,in the Champions League First knock-out round,semi finals of the carling cup,been drawn agansit Everton in the third round of the F.A CUP and have not lost a league game for 56 games now.I will list my squads later but my ASST MANAGER rates David Bentley more than Joe Cole now even though Cole is top player at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Chicken Lover

Morning Gents, this is my first post so bear with me.

Firstly I am a Newcastle supporter but enjoy varied career on FM08.

A friend and myself set about a challenge to update to 8.02 and then compete for greatness and FM glory.

We could not resist playing with abrams millions and both became chelsea.(not a massive challenge but our first ever game on 8.02)

Of course he is aware of this forum but not a member, so I could not resist getting some advice from those in the know, to sportingly kick his ass in our challenge.

In November now and sitting second behind a runaway Man U.

Pld 13, Won 9, drw 4. compared to man u Pld 13. Won 12, drw 1.

After telling Mr Abram I would win the title I got plenty of cash. Plus the chairman in his wisdom accepted an offer of 16.5 mill for Mikel.

Transfers

Marcelo - release clause 5.5mll looking good and playimg better than ashley cole.

Zapater - 7mill cheap for a quality hard working midfielder and replacement for mikel.

Van D Vaart - 15.5 mill originally didnt want wingers and wanted better quality from set pieces FM Legend for me in the past.

Matias Fernadez - 10mill + 50% next sale- versatile player that can score 20 gls a season. Taking pens has already scored 8 gls.

Diego - wanted Nasri but got a cheeky bid of 12mill accepted so rude not to.

Micah Richards- 26 mill + 25% next sale -felt my defence needed some more pace but he was expensive.

Henri Saviet - free just comp.- quality youngster scoring in Under 18s (drogba tutoring)

Sacked a few coaches and scouts and brought in pako ayestran as my number 2.

Have vito scala/frank de boer/antonio borrel.

mostly 4/5 stars but could be better.

Now i am not doing bad playing formations between 4-2-3-1 or 4-2-1-3 wide.

I have a good team how would you play them and with who?

How can i sell sheva and pizzaro? No one wants them and there wages are crippling.Are either worth keeping?

Ballack is fit where do you play him to get the best out of him or do i sell?

Alex/Tal Ben - which is better for 4th choice cover.

Belleti seems okay as RB but if i keep Richards in the middle can ivanovic or ferraria cover! I have 8 mill left shall i look to strengthen in jan?

Where is best to play diego not a player i am familiar with! is any good in the game?

Any tips or constructive thoughts would be appreciated!

Also good luck to all chelsea fans against liverpool this evening! Playing this game has given my a soft spot for the blues!

Originally posted by Chicken Lover:

I have a good team how would you play them and with who?

Cech

Richards

Cole

Carvalho

Terry

Essien (DM)

Lampard (MC with farrow)

Diego (MC with farrow)

Cole (AMR)

Malouda (AML)

Drogba (ST)

How can i sell sheva and pizzaro? No one wants them and there wages are crippling.Are either worth keeping?

Not worth keeping. Transfer list them and offer them for free. If noone wants them, loan them out. Wages are annoying, but shouldnt be a big problem, so just wait patiently for their contracts to run out.

Ballack is fit where do you play him to get the best out of him or do i sell?

Ballack will be on the decline, sell him.

Alex/Tal Ben - which is better for 4th choice cover.

Alex.

Belleti seems okay as RB but if i keep Richards in the middle can ivanovic or ferraria cover!

Belletti will quickly decline, play Richards there with Ivanovic as cover. Ivanovic is good, Ferreira isnt, sell him.

Guest Chicken Lover

Thanks for the reply Benoit,

OUT:-

sheva loan -30% wages

sidwell- 2 mill newcastle

pizzaro - 1.5 mill sunderland

kalou - 500k ( would not sign new contract but didnt use him anyway)

Started to play Joe cole and Malouda more and they are providing more goals than fernadez and lampard.

African nations left me without essien and drogba so decided to bring in Huntelaar as anelka didnt seem to respond to playing upfront alone consistantly.

Won Carling Cup 5-2 against Man U.

Played three games in a row against Arsenal. went through in Champions league quarters over 2 legs, but they beat me in quarters of the FA Cup 1-0.

Now sitting first 2 points clear of Man U with Drogba firing on all cylinders and a Champions league semi final against Barca to look forward to.

The treble will do nicely!

Originally posted by kornfan001:

just sold swp to man city or 7 million ho else should i sell to incrase funds

shevchenko or pizaro if you can find buyers, shevchenko has a high wage budget so if you get rid of him it will free up a large space of your wage budget, also mekelele(spelling?) as hes too old and you could find a younger DM player. Steve sidwell can go for around £3m icon_smile.gif

i think its better to have quality than quantity so i have got rid of most of mine and am replacing them with the best available. has anyone had their stamford bridge expanded or replaced ....?

yeah i went for quality over quantity, i have have a coaching average of 6.5 stars... with one coach per section... I.E. one does shooting, one does set pieces, one does defending etc etc

As for expanding the bridge, i haven't looked into it yet i am only averaging just over 40,000 in attendance, if i get that up to 41-42,000 i'll probably try to expand

im mostly looking at expanding the franchise, just got into japan so looking for an import to blow our club up in the land of the rising sun, now to try and get australia:|

i just kept requesting feeder clubs when it was available. granted, i only got Giurare Yokohama, but the franchising from chelsea will help, hopefully. if some like Osaka or okoyama fc (sp?) then i'll drop them:P

I also still have H. Tel Aviv, PSV, Westerlo, LA Galaxy + i picked up Hibernian and looking for more:P

I should get someone from england at some stage:P

• 2 weeks later...

GK: Akinfeev (Cudicini)

DC: Terry, Richards, Carvalho (Ben Haim, Sakho, Mancienne)

WBL: Malouda (Mattock)

WBR: Beletti (Ivanovic)

DM: Essien, Veloso (Ballack, Mikel)

MC: Lampard, Mikel (Ballack, Jiminez)

FC: Drogba (Anelka, Cavani)

November 2008, how could i improve my squad

• 3 weeks later...
GK: Akinfeev (Cudicini)

DC: Terry, Richards, Carvalho (Ben Haim, Sakho, Mancienne)

WBL: Malouda (Mattock)

WBR: Beletti (Ivanovic)

DM: Essien, Veloso (Ballack, Mikel)

MC: Lampard, Mikel (Ballack, Jiminez)

FC: Drogba (Anelka, Cavani)

November 2008, how could i improve my squad

get a DR for sure.

maybe a young wonderkid CM to replace Lampard when he ages in the future.

play Mikel more often to help him develop. when he is fully developed he become Essien and Fabregas combined!

just an update on my season so far lost community hield to man u 2-1 and won both premier league matches 4-1 over west ham and 3-0 over portsmouth.

sold cech (18 million euros) to AC Milan, Carvalho (10 million euros) to Real Madrid, Scvchenko (10 million euros) to Newcastle and Wright-phillips (12 million euros) to Altico Madrid. and mikel to sevilla for 9 million euros

Brought in Seb frey from fiorentina, lewis from peterborough, Aguero and rodriquez from Alticomadrid and

Hi i have been playing with chelsea alot this year so thought i would join in on the topic and post some of me transfers so far:

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6096/0708zg5.jpg

http://img367.imageshack.us/img367/5092/0809jj8.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/6030/0910pe1.jpg

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/6500/1011wg5.jpg

As you can see i personally think i have built up a good team over the last 4 seasons.

My best signing has to be Sergio Aquero just look at these stats.

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/1146/aguero0708lk1.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/2506/aguero0809ta2.jpg

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4927/aguero0910eh6.jpg

So from the stats by far best buy and im looking forward to see wot my next season has to hold.

Also just bought G.Rossi for 30m see how that goes i no if he flops i will be able to at least sell him for 40 odd mill

3 season in on 8.0.2 patch and just taken over chelsea coz grant got sacked. the team is now awful with the majority leaving for free or for really low amounts. loads of people sold and no one bought so i have been given 90m and more if alter wages. but most of the team has been sold. any great players i should sign?

team left:

cech

bridge

terry

alex

ivanovic

belletti

mikel

lampard

ballack

swp

drogba

pizzaro

and loads of promoted youths

as you can see overwhere can be improved even gk (back-up)

any help would be helpful icon_biggrin.gif lol

I sold 13 players for 70m started with 64m and bought:

Enyeama

Barzagli

Rafinha

Alves

Kompany

Farfan

Quarsema

Rodriquez

Defour

VanVaart

Aguero

Totalling 150m after the board gave me an extra 25m to complete the signing of alves

just finished jan transfer signings in first season as chelsea (8.0.2 version)tell m what u think?

(all in euros)

IN

Silva 90 million valencia

Juninho 11 million lyon

Rodwell 3.6 million everton

Joaquin 42 million valencia

Dani Alves 60 million sevilla

Keni 575K schalke

Fazlic 450k bremen

B saramento free racing

lormania free from n/a

b.sharp on 6 month loan sheffield utd

G.rossi 56 million villareal

OUT

Mikel for 13 million to lazio

shevchenko for 12 million to newcastle

carvalho for 16 million to inter milan

bridge to villareal for 13.6 million

j.cole to zaragoza for 4.6 million

sahar on part xchange to villareal

and sidwell to aston villa for 3 million

plus loaned out several youngsters

• 2 weeks later...

hi i just started a new game as chelsea i was wondering if there was any youth players i could sign as i am building a team for the future i am on the original patch as i can't be a*s*d to download it

thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

Robo Mchugh:

I don't want to sound anal or anything like that but do you actually have any chelsea players left?

kornfan01:

You can probably guess what im going to say:P

I have nothing against your management styles, this is more of an opinion than a "you should do it this way" speech

but personally i try to keep my transfers to a maximum of 3-5 per season (excluding youths)

that way i get more experienced players and higher moral around the camp, as the club have melded together.

where you guys have a dozen new players trying to figure out what the other player is doing. Is this game even realistic enough to have this affect the team?.. i'm not sure now:P

If you scroll up to see Cruel Intents squads and transfers you'll see how i do it as that is me (before i needed a "sega Pass" to use this site niw i can't use my other one:|

anyway: best of luck to your respective teams and hope you show the world some chelsea dominance

WHy does everyone sell Shevchenko? He is a fantastic striker, always scores bags for me, he is two footed.

Just started a new game with Chelski, I use 442 with Diamond midfield.

I use Joe Cole as AM, using his dribbling ability to rip defenses apart through the middle. Lampard sits on the bench. Unless I rest Joe Cole.

I brought Queresma for £21m, he played 8 games, 4 assists then he broke his hip. I use Wright Phillips in his place, and he has been fantastic to, I do know why people sell him.

Drogba is doing ok, not prolific yet, he is very inconsistent. I signed a young german, he is 17 with a CA of 125, PA 187, he is on loan in Belgium, he looks very very promising.

I have signed Kanu, he is coming in the Jan Transfer window. I signed him for Man United before and he was fantastic as a sub and not so important games. £5m for him.

I brought Burdisso for £19m as a replacement for Belleti cos he is crap.

I will update you as I go along.

Can't believe so many people starting with Chelsea sell off players like Sheva, Ballack and Makelele. All three will be class for at least a season, and will be superb in mentoring your younger players..."hey Michael Woods, wanna get one-to-one mentoring from Michael ballack?"

And just look at the stats of someone like Ballack. He has 2-3 GREAT years in him as a player, and is one of the best tutors you will find.

I agree with you Jimboola...

I probably use Shev more than i do Drogba and tend to sell Drogba off earlier

And i have both Ballack and Makalele in my starting line up in the CM/DM positions as i have Malouda, Lampard & Cole in AM

Ballack is definitely the most consistent in my squad, its just a shame that he's injured for the start of it

Hi.

Started a game with Chelsea recently. I still have the first patch of the game, as I haven't updated the game at all. Here is a couple of screenshots of my first season:

Transfers in + out:

1stseasontransfers.jpg

Squad:

1stseasonsquad.jpg

Tactic:

1stseasontactics.jpg

My manager profile:

1stseasonscreenshot.jpg

Just started my second season off by having a few friendlies and winning the communitiy shield again. Still, after all this success I feel that my squad could do with a tiny bit more quailty/change of personel so I have decided to go after a new striker and a new attacking left midfielder.

The board have given me £57m to spend this summer.

To begin with, I loaned out Kalou as no-one would buy him and he was awful for me last season. I am trying to replace him Matias Fernandez but Villarreal want £26.5m for him and I don't feel I should be paying out that much money for him. Is there anyone else who would would cost less than that, but also be of the same sort of quality? Just to let you know, I rotate players in the attacking mid positions, so he would be sharing most of the games with Modric throughtout the season.

For my strikers, I am pleased with Aguero, Sheva + Drogba. Aguero was amazing last season, the best player in my squad apart from Lampard. However, Sheva + Drogba were either very good or either very bad. I promoted Sinclair from my reserves for the last part of the season as my assistant told me he was ready for the first team. He pitched in with a few assists and 6 goals, which I was pleased with. However, I think I will loan him out for a season, so he can get play more games than he will here. I have bid £14m for Klass-Jan Huntelaar as he is extremely unhappy at Ajax, but Ajax are holding out for £21m. I feel that is a bit too much for a 3rd/4th choice striker and have chosen to look elsewhere. Any ideas of a top quality forward who would be able to come in a score goals when Drogba + Sheva aren't doing the job?

Cheers for any advice!

Archived