The Official FM 2008 Chelsea Thread

TheRandomGuy

@Chenchu: Thanks, I'll take a look icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by krislewis8:

ha ha funny u should mention him hes the guy i was looking for,i actually bid 3 million for him but got rejected,so you think hes worth getting,maybe get him for 4-5million is it?

He's definately one of the best LB talents on the game, I've come across. I haven't signed him myself but Juventus did so he must have a high reputation too.

I think he'll be worth 5 mio...

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With no real area to strenghten right away, I went a little nuts during the transferwindow:

Transfers in season 2:

Silva - 33 mio

Lulinha - 3.3 mio

Bojan - 21 mio

Mario Balotelli - 24.5 mio

Giovani dos Santos - 19.5 mio

Total: 102 mio

Transfers out season 2:

Shaun Wright-Phillips - 6.25 mio

Claudio Pizzaro - 5.5 mio

Total: 11.75 mio

A lot of money for 4 teenagers and a 22-year-old, but to be honest they were the only players I wanted and some of the best players on the game.

I've now got 5 wonderkids: Breno, Bojan (only 17 and still a wonderkid), Giovani dos Santos, Ever Banega and Micah Richards.

The future's looking great icon_smile.gif

Just started a new game with Chelsea on the full version.

Mu current first 11:

GK: Petr Cech (Cudicini)

DR: Micah Richards (Belleti)

DL: Ashley Cole (Wayne Bridge)

DC: John Terry (Alex)

DC: Ricardo Carvalho (Tal Ben Haim)

MC: Michael Essien (John Obi Mikel)

AMR: Joe Cole (SWP)

AML: Florent Malouda (Marcelo)

AMC: Frank Lampard (Michael Ballack)

FC: Didier Drogba (Claudio Pizzaro)

FC: Shevchenko (Sergio Aguero)

Brought in Marcelo (5.5 mill), Micah Richards (19.5 mill), Aguero (29 mill) as the main additions. Won Man Utd 4-2 in the Community Shield and just won my first EPL game 3-2 against Newcastle at St. James. Shevchenko has 4 goals in 2 appearances so far. icon_smile.gif Looks good.

Sold

Shevchenko - 7 Million

Pizzaro - 9.25 Million

Ballack - 11.25 Million

Bridge - 4.5 Million

A. Cole - 9.5 Million

Wright-Phillips - 6.75 Million

Belletti - 1.3 Million

Ferriria - 3.5 Million

Ben-Haim - 4 Million

Bought

Huntaleer - 10 Million

Camacho - 2.5 Million

Zeefuik - 1 Million

Banegra - 2.5 Million

Marcelo - 5.5 Million

Rafinha - 10.25 Million

Zarate - 2.7 Million

And a thirty or so soon-to-be leading premier league young players icon_biggrin.gif

Once again my team is playing like a sack of potatoes at the start of the season.

5 games in, 1 win, 2 draws and 2 defeats. Never ever have I got just a half-decent start to the season on any of my FM games. Well, I had the same problem 1st season and in that I won Premier League so there's still hope. icon_wink.gif

Maybe my team just need a little more time to gel considering my new signings.

I'm retraining Bojan to AMC to have a little more versatility up front.

Van der Vaart 13.75 million - but can't get in first team

Owen - 9 million - can't say no at that price.

Martins - 13.75 million - Feel it's a good price and he's got different qualities than my other forwards.

Carlos Diogo - 10 million - My assistant told me my defence was weak and I didn't think it was the CB's and he is now telling me Diogo is the best RB I have. Younger than Belletti and I think could probably be purchased cheaper too.

Marcelo - 5.5 million - Started the game and Bridge was injured and I like to have 2 established and one youngster in full back positions and with his release clause he fits the bill perfectly.

Not sold ANYONE as it's first season and I like to give everyone a chance, Scheva is my top scorer.

After my shaking start to the season, my team is now starting play very, very, well.

Bojan and dos Santos are tearing any defence apart at the moment, sharing 10 goals and 7 assists between them for the last 7 games.

Balotelli and Sahar, given the chance due to an injuried Drogba, has also been scoring a few.

I've now got 7 wonderkids in my squad. Besides the already mentioned 5, Sahar and Balotelli are now also labelled as such icon_cool.gif

Drogba started to score alot for me now, start of December. Shvchi is my top scorer, Mikel show's very good ball control, and right now im 1st at the table where my last game was 2-1 for my side against the red devils at Old Trafford icon_smile.gif

i guess the board like's me, they expended my transfer budget from 24 to 32 ! icon_smile.gif

4-3-3

GK - find a bunch of under 18s to develop. No reason to sell Cudicini or Hilario, and the idea of Akinfeev/Kameini sitting on the bench kind of offends me.

LB - Bridge is always injured. I sell his ass and buy Marcelo.

CB - Sell one of Ben-Haim and Alex and buy Breno. I am indifferent to which one to sell.

RB - I'm shocked no one plays Essien at RB - he clears up the logjam in CM, and Belletti can cover during the ANC.

CM - I don't understand people who buy CMs! Lampard, Makelele, Mikel, Ballack for me here, unless I get a good deal on Ballack (>15m). By the time Makelele is done w/ his deal you'll have Woods ready. If you really want to splurge Riquelme and Mascherano are available on Bosmans for next year. Banega does look superb though...

WM - SWP commands a lot more value than I'd imagine so I sell him (~20m, regularly!). I like buying Quaresma - good value, a realistic Chelsea target. Still, Malouda-Cole-Kalou is fine if he won't come, and Marcelo backs up here for me too.

ST - I don't sell Shevchenko unless I get a good deal (>15m). Pizarro, on the other hand, commands really good transfer fees, so I do sell him. To replace him I get .... Christian VIERI! Sahar/Sinclair develop soon enough, and he's the 3rd striker in a 1 striker system. Huge added benefit of being great on penalties for shootouts.

OK. End of Season 1 Update:

took the title by 1 point above Man City.

won the league cup, now i've Arsenal on FA cup, and did all the way though Champions League final vs Inter. pretty good for a first season icon_smile.gif

now, Drogba is a goal machine. he also makes any striker that plays with him better.

Shevchy always have problems with adjusting, or he has personal problems or other issues with other team players. im about to sell him, and bring other striker.

I also bought Cesar Delgado at january, which scored alot too. i think around 16 goals / 20 matches.. if im not wrong ^^

I had the best defence in the league, and my attack were placed 7th in the table i think..

now Joe Cole was pretty dissapointing this season, so im considering selling him. Kalou and Malouda are good enough.

Maxi Rodrigez also didnt prove me he worth the 30.5$ i payed for him.. well ill update all the information of selling/buying soon.

ok, so after like 3 hours of nonstop playing (wasted too much free time tbh) here is my status;

my.php?image=manager1zs7.jpg

here's the transfer window of my first season:

manager2eo8.jpg

and now i just started my second season, brought in few players:

my.php?image=manager3vr4.jpg

i might need a left winger, and im considering selling Maxi Rodrigez and Joe Cole (his performance as left winger aint that good)

ok so that would be all for now fellas!

Originally posted by Hom3r:

Going to give myself a challenge and get rid of all the players that were brought in since Mourinho took charge. That also includes Cech who may of actually been Ranieri's signing but i'm not entirely sure.

Don't worry, you can keep Cech as it was in fact Ranieri who brought Cech to Stamford Bridge icon_smile.gif

Transfers in: 2007

Tuia 300k

Micah Richards - 25 mil + sidwell

nasri 16.5

giles barnes 8.75

sotiris ninis 1m

Banega 3.6 m

sakho 575k

wijnaldum 575k

alex 1.6m

julio cruz 180k

miguel angel fraga 425 k

Total: 59m

Transfers out:

sidwell part exchange

alex 3m

belletti psv loan

hilario 250k

Total: 3.25m lol

Transfers in: 2008

cassano 3.5m

matias fernandez 17.75

lullinha 2.6

gabriel torje 2.9

vincent enyeama 350k

ezequiel garay 25.5m

denilson 9m

Total 62m

Tramsfers out

crespo 2.5

bridge 3.5

makelele 950 k

cudicini 1.2

alcides 1m

belleti 1m

boulahrouz 1m

total 11m

Transfers in 2009/10

barazite 5.5

treacharichi 4.3

dario motta 2.6

diego(river) 1m

cabrera 2.5

parlak ilhan 9m

julio baptista 2.5

edison cavani 35m

aaron 15m

nortdveit 4.8m

matias cahais 7m

sultan cem 1.6

jordi van bremen (milan face gen player) 16.5

Adriano from inter 3.4 m LOL

total 114m

Transfers out

Drogba 7.5

enyeama 2.5

ballack 2.5

carvalho 4m

cassano 7.5

shevchenko 10m

32m

Originally posted by purefun:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jack Edwards:

Im snooping around at farfan now of PSV, Good stats and at 15 M i like him, ill play malouda on the right and Farfan on the left

malouda is an leftfooted player don't use him on the right mate </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wrong. Precisely doing that can be immensely rewarding.

I usually have two games going when I play FM regularly, one as manager of Chelsea and Australia and another starting out unemployed and taking it as it comes.

My Chelsea game has just hit the end of the transfer window and here is my round up.

In:

Aguero - 29.5m

Marcelo - 5.5m

Richards - 22m

Kompany - 8.75m

Banega - 5m

Modric - 5m

Rafinha - 10.75m

Sakho - 1.2m

Esposito - 450k

Out:

Ferreira - 8.5m

Pizarro - 7m

Ballack - 12.5m

Carvalho - 20m

Random rubbish youth players and reserves - 1.2m

Aguero bagged young player of the month and 2nd in player of the month for August. Fans have full confidence with my purchases so far, apart from Kompany who they are reserving judgement on icon_rolleyes.gif

Only behind Man Utd in the league but have still yet to lose or draw a game icon14.gif

Season Update

League: 2nd, lost to Arsenal

FA Cup: Winners icon_cool.gif, beat Liverpool in final

League Cup: Semi-finals, lost to United

Champions League: Quarters, lost to Arsenal

Summer Transfer Window

Players In:

Joey Didulica £4m, AZ Alkmaar (back up to Cech, Cudicini too old now imo, Hilario not good enogh)

Lulinha £7m, Corinthians

Ricardo Quaresma £14m, Porto

Players Out

Jefferson Farfan - PSV - loan

Harry Worley - Ipswich - free

Jack Cork - Bolton - £150k

Hernan Crespo - Man City - free

Juliano Belletti - Racing Santander - £1m

Wayne Bridge - AC Milan - £3m

Khalid Boulahrouz - FC Bayern - £2.5m

Salomon Kalou - Real Zaragoza - £11.25m

Steve Sidwell - Man City - £4m

Jimmy Smith - Dundee Utd - loan

Other additions to first team squad

Loan Returns: Alcides and Slobodan Rajkovic (both PSV)

Promotions from reserves: Ben Sahar and Scott Sinclair

------------------------------------------------------

Despite the additions to my squad, my first XI is still what I posted on page 2, save for Wright-Phillips in place of Kalou/Farfan.

Havent played Chelsea, even if im a big fan, mainly because they're too easy!!! too rich!!

but.. why are people selling chelsea players??

Drogba? Scheva? LAMPARD? BALLACK??!?!?!

Besides the RWB/RB spot, there isnt much to improve chelsea. Only for the FUTURE!, which is banking on Kalou, Sahar, Sinclar, Mancienne. Get a few young midfielders (Alex, Lulinha)

ALSO big note here: buy Wijnaldum ASAP, place him in your u-18 squad as a sleeper, and in 2 years time, u might actually register him into Euro compettitions as 'Home Grown' in orange.

Ballack may not do well real life but his stats garner a regular spot, if u ever find a formation to fit both him and Lamps in.

Scheva can do wonders if u know how to play him. Kalou will im prove. Selling Scheva and getting another 'big man' like adriano or gyan asamoah would be a mistake. One needs a finisher to partner the big man, not another big man. Pandev is a good buy here. If scheva is EVER sold, then his replacement need to be of world class standards... Suggestions? pacey finshers David Villa, Aguero, Bojan, Robinho, Pandev

RB is a problem, PF isnt cool. Baletti is aging real fast. Dani Alves is beautiful. So is Lahm. Rahfinha. Note: most brazillian wingbacks can be trained to play down both flanks. Lahm already can.

ALSO, chelsea's biggest lil kink is that they dont have top draw free kick takers. The wingbacks you buy better have some ability in that area! for this, Selling A.Cole for gareth bale is reasonable icon_biggrin.gif

And for this also, the purchase of RVDV is justifiable, but no at the price of loosing lampard.

i got saivet for 500 k season 1 and adriano for 3 m season 2. sinclair didnt improve enough so i sold him for 9 m to bolton.

Saivet is better than adriano in 2010 brilliant signing

I sold Ballack because at the start of the game he's injured for smt like 3 or 6 months. then when he back to play, he's not in shape. and he wants to play, so he's unhappy due to lack of first team.. so you sell him. +his wages are very high for a bench player.

Shevchy has alot of problems, i played with him in the first season, and I allowed him to abstence twice during the season, personal problems. at the start of season two, he had problems with Mutu (my new signment) so i said damn with him and put him on transfer list.

Lampard.. dunno, i wouldnt sell him.

im in first season going to february 2009. Lost the charity shield and eliminated in the league cup by man utd. Currently second in the league 5 points behind man utd. Fa cup went through the first 2 rounds awaiting more. Champions league won my group and now meeting porto in the last 16s

Had to face serious injuries of Terry 2 months and Carvalho 5 months are still out

Had to sell Drogba for 18 million to Sevilla as he wanted a new challenge and was not performing well. Brougth in Fred as replacement. Cech also wants a new challenge but im holding on him and if he wont be settled in the last of the season i will replace him with boruc

Brought in:

Fred

Banega

Aaritalo

Poulsen

Fernando Meira

Quaresma

Piatti

and some other good youngsters

Sold

Drogba

Sidwell

John obi mikel ( Offer accepted by Abrahamovic)

Current formation

Gk: Cech

Def Belletti, Alex, Fernando Meira,A Cole

DM Poulsen (Essien/ Makelele)

MC J. Cole, Lampard

AMR Quaresma

AML Malouda

FC Fred

Quaresma is cracking

Sheva and Essien underachieving

Hey,

Iam using the usual chelsea 4-3-3 with 2 wingers and a lone striker. i bought owen and am going to sell pizzaro. so i will have drogba, scheva, owen for the one striker position. also bought van der vaart, so that makes Ballack,Lamps,Essien,Mikel,VDV for the 3 midfield(DMC and 2 MC) positions.

Thing is i have offer of 40mil pounds for Drogba and 22 mil for Mikel. I cant decide what i should do in both the cases as i like both of them(hard to find a good TM as Drogba & Mikel is tall and wonderkid in FM08) but the money is pretty good too.

So if i do sell them or one of them, can you suggest someone similar to them and make a good replacement.

i wish it was 150mil pounds. but only got around 50mil after decrasing wage budget. But i have decided to keep Mikel and sell Drogba as he is already 29 and 40 mil pounds is really good deal considering his value is 15mil something. So am looking for a replacement. really like Asamoah Gyan(only 21 i think) but dunno if he wil come in the first season.

Drogba is absolute class!!!

Performing amazing for me, getting 6 goals in 3 games...but Shevchenko, I seriously need to sell him, he get 1 goal out of 10 shots, and that is definatly not what you need, its really fustrating, I need to sell him and buy a little fast striker to finish off drogba's flick ons lol

Ballack, after reading what you said Chenchu I am going to sell him and I have alot of players, Nasri, Lampard, Van Der Vaart, Essien, Makelele, Cole, Wright-Phillips...Too many Midfielders??? LOL

Any Reccomendations, I dont have any money icon_biggrin.gif actally £500k icon_biggrin.gif but I am selling P.Ferreira for 3.2M and I can sell Shevchenko and Pizarro...

Hi All,

I'm on the middle of season I, I signed Pandev and Richards, but both of them haven't performed, their avr are below 7. I'm using 4-3-3 formation (1 DM, 2 MC) and I always put pandev on FC to accompanny Drogba and other striker while I put Micah as DR. Could anyone give suggestion to maximize their potential, else I'm thinking to start over and signed Aguero (instead of pandev), VdV,and RB (Richerds too expensive).

I finally managed to complete my first season in FM08 due to not having the game sooner, the game was lost in the post. Anyhoo time for an update as such:

End of Season 1 Update:

I don't know whether to deem by season a success or a failure. I did experiment with tactics in the beginning, this combined with African nations and injuries to key players resulted in somewhat indifferent league form. Sadly this led to me finishing 3rd in the league but barely. However cup competitions were a bit more fruitful, my reserves managed to get to the Semi-finals of the Carling Cup, while the first team made appearances in the Champions League final and FA Cup final. I wont mention whether I won or lost those cups I guess your just going to have to click on the screenshots.

Transfers: I felt that the initial squad had everything i needed for my formation 442 so I just bought a right winger and a hot prospect. However during the season I realized that we weren't as strong in attack as I thought. So for the following season I might have to re-think my squad. The easiest option is to promote Sahar but I just not sure at the moment.

League Table

Transfers

FA Cup Final

Champions League Final

End of Season 2 update:

This was supposed to the one of the hardest seasons, going by loads of people complaining about second season blues. However Im quite pleased with what I've achieved although in saying that it could have been even better but I'll get to that later.

One of the main targets this season was to win the Premiership, it was one of 2 domestic trophies that ever missing from my short yet successful career. The season started of pretty well, was unbeaten in the first 19 premiership games had 12 wins and 6 draws, sadly my for mid drop a bit which allowed my rivals to gain ground on me. Anyway to cut the story short I have to thank Ferguson for beating Arsenal on match day 37, which helped me regain top stop with one game to go. Last game of the season was going terrible my guys were just not performing so I was forced into 2 early substitutions(32 minute) and we somehow managed to win the game and the title in the end.

League Table

and the squad that won it

With few players unhappy during the January transfer window I decided to spend some money to revive my title bid. Here is a list of transfers made during the season.

Cup competitions that kept me in the job first season, brought joy and sadness at the same time. It was great to be in the final of 2 prestigious competitions but there was a sour taste in my mouth afterwards.

FA Cup Final

Champions League Final

With this in mind I think its time to shelve this save in search for a new challenge. I say this because the season is over and Im yet to be offered a new contract and I would like to leave with my pride instead of begging for a new contract. Mon you Blues

Hello fellow Chelsea fans!!!

Just finished my second season with the Blues.

In the first year, I didn't make any major changes other than signing Dani Alves(albeit for 55m!!!) and a load of 15-18 year old prospects. Man U ran away with the title being in a ridiculous form all season long, and I ended up an easy second. Won the League Cup as well, but most of all I made Roman happy by winning the CL by beating Barcelona 4-3 in the final , courtesy of a 94' goal by Joe Cole.

Second year, and I made a few changes. Bought Silva for 82m(totally worth it, as absurd as that sounds), Gyan Asamoah for 34m, Klose for 25m,Pirlo for 24m and Sergio Aguero mid-season for 42m. Also sold Sheva and Drogba for a combined 42m. This time around Liverpool were in a crazy form, and I was 9 points behind them with 6 games left to play, but then they started to stumble, and I won the league on goal difference. Needed a 82' equalizer from Klose in the final match of the season against bottom side Sunderland to put my heart back in its place, though.

In teh CL I reached the Semis where Milan threw me out, while I got Chelsea its' 3rd consecutive League Cup and 4th in 5 years.

BTW, in the FA Cup, I was ousted by Championship teams both seasons. Meh.

Here's my squad, going into 2009/2010, I play an atypical Barcelona style herky-jerky offensive style, yet my defense wins most games.

GK: Cech - Boruc - Bailly

DR: Dani Alves - Belletti

DL: Cole - Bridge

2xDC: Terry - Alex - Carvalho - Ben Haim

2xDM(farrow): Essien - Pirlo - Obi Mikel - Ballack

AMC: Lampard - J. Cole

AMR(darrow to ST): Gyan Asamoah - Kalou

AML(darrow to ST): Silva - Malouda

1xST: Klose - Aguerro

The Ams are all in a free role and occasionaly swap positions with each other. Makes for exciting movement and passing up front. You get Silva,Aguero,Kalou,Gyan,J. Cole all being able to play any of teh forward positions, and if the opposition is using man-to-man, I have them switch places and the mayhem starts. Pretty fun gaming experience.

Originally posted by insai:

i got rid of lampard and sheva for 30 and 20M respectively. thats a huge chunk saved off the wage bill, which was then converted to transfer money.

Van der vaart is a lot better ingame than lampard imo, and at 40k a week hes also a whole lot cheaper :p. Money made off lampard and sheva was then used to buy Martins, Nigel de Jong, Micah Richards, Van der Vaart and Podolski.

U shudnt hav sold Lamps.

you will make the fans the board and the players less likely to ''Like'' You. Cause Lampard is their Favoured personel

• 2 weeks later...

I am just starting with my second favourite team, Chelsea, having led Clyde to promotion to the SPL....

But I am having the same problem with Chelsea as I did with Clyde when trying to negotiate a price for new signings.

After clubs initially name their price (in response to my initial bid), I go back to them with what I think is a compromise. But, instead of trying to meet me half way, they make even more unrealistic demands.

In the case of Zaccardo, for example, his club have accepted £8.5m bids from five clubs but continually demand £14m plus another £8m over six months from Chelsea!

Any advice?

Try B1GD. It still works for me and it fits Chelsea as well with some adjustments. It's rock solid at the back and you'll usually bag a goal or two to win against anybody. try lowering teh tempo and increasing teh passing sliders a bit and it'll fit the Blues better than it does Arsenal.

Really, with a new RB and Essien/makelele anchoring at DMC, nothing gets through.

In 3rd season -

GK - Ustari, Enyeama, Cudicini

DF - Terry, Breno, A Cole, Marcelo, Vanden Borre, Veloso, Carvalho, Mancienne, Rajkovic

MF - Mikel, Essien, Lampard, Martinez, Lulinha, Adrien, Piatti, Woods

WG - Malouda, J Cole, Quaresma, Kalou, Mota, Torje, Sinclair

ST - Aguero, Drogba, Defoe, Zarate, Sahar

Getting rid of Drogba & Carvalho (too old) and Defoe (too useless) and buying Van Der Vaart, De Guzman, Huntelaar & Doyle (all bosmans) at end of year!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just thought I'd share a highly successful team that I put together for not that much money. (In Chelsea terms, mind you)

.....................................Cech

.............................Alex..........Terry

Belletti..............................................................ACole

............................Essien.....Lampard

JCole.........................Mati Fernandez (9.5m).Luka Modric (3.8m)

..................................Aguero( 20 rising to 35m)

Bench

Carlo

Carvalho

Mikel

Malouda

Drogba

In

Aguero

Modric

Fernandez

Lulinha 2m

Alex 55k

Saivet free

Wijnaldum free

Kardec 5m

Sidnei 1m

Zeefuik 100k

Breno 5m

Joao Carlos 875k

Fischer 170k

Torje 350k

Out

SWP 5.25 Inter

Sinclair loan QPR

Guest chaz565

just got a 15m offer for SWP from milan in january of my first season. Do i accept? Only other right wingers in squad are joe cole and kalou.

Archived