The Official FM 2008 Chelsea Thread

TheRandomGuy

Originally posted by insai:

yeah the chelsea youth team seemed distinctly lacking in terms of quality. you would think with all those millions they would be able to attract a few decent youngsters icon_razz.gif

Yeah, I don't think it will be any problem bringing in some good youngsters (take a look at the official good youngsters guide), but I'd really like the Chelsea board to invest in the youth setup to get some good youngsters through the system.

It's been a problem, in my experience, when you have to register for european competition and the only good homegrown player you've got is Terry.

Also, I'd like my team to consist of a few more englishmen than the current Chelsea squad does (we've got Terry, A. and J. Cole, Bridge, Lampard and SWP) - I don't think that 6 is enough, really.

Then we've got Woods, Mancienne (is he english or seychelle on the game?) and Sinclair for the future, but to be fair we don't know if they'll be able to cut it at high level.

The problem is, however, that it's hard to find some good english players, I think.

The only real future star I've come across is probably Micah Richards, who I'll be doing my utmost to sign once the full game is released.

• Replies 498
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thrashed Wigan 4:0 and beat Reading 5:3 on a superb comeback after 2:0 down icon_smile.gif

Regarding the youngsters problem, well I think there's nothing to do on the homegrown part, but for investing youngsters all I can say is to scout players!

How about signing Lulinha and Assman? Well that's two potential youngsters that are good in my minds but perhaps not in FM

P.Cech

Belletti Terry Carvalho Ashley.C

Shaun.R.P Essien Lampard Malouda

Drogba Pandev

Sub : Shevchenko, Mikel, Kalou, Alex, Huntalaar

Playing 4-4-2 Attacking with tight defence and counter attack..Scoring for fun for my first 6 games..Essien scored a couple of screamer and drogba scored 10 goals + 4 assist in 12 games, Pandev and Shevc each scored 7 goals in 11 app..

Played 12 Win 10 Draw 1 Lose 1

Scored 26 Conceded 3

Originally posted by themavsman:

I see Joe Cole as more of a centre midfielder than a winger. He just doesn't have the pace, nice technical stats though.

Well, to be fair his 17 acceleration and 15 pace isn't that much worse than Malouda's 18 acceleration and 16 pace, now is it? icon_wink.gif

Anyway, what formation are you guys playing?

I'm playing a 4-2-3-1 with an AMR, AMC and AML when home and three AMC's when away.

In a tough game I might even employ a DMCR instead of the MCR which gives me a little more backup in defence.

Originally posted by SCIAG:

Last year I played as Chelsea for thje huge transfer budget. This year I don't think I will though if the budget's "only" £30 million.

You can udjust the transfer budget by reducing your wage budget. I'm pretty certain that Chelsea still has the highest budget.

Why are people signing Richards? Belletti is great, you don't need to invest in another RB. I suppose he'd be good for the future, but it's a 6 month game.

Yes, Belletti is actually surprisingly good, but I think people are buying Richards just to try him out. I will be signing him myself, too, when the full game is released.

I will probably mainly be using him as a centreback, though.

i ended up buying the following before the end of the first transer window...

kaka - 51m + 50% sell on fee

maxi rodrigez - 13m

m. richards - 19m

end of demo was 1st in league clear by 9 points!

drogba already had himself 27 goals and kaka had 18, lampard 11

Originally posted by Chrisw06:

anelka or huntelaar for my chelsea team ??

It depends on which kind of striker you want. A fast striker? Buy Anelka. A targetman? Buy Huntelaar.

That said, I wouldn't buy any of them for neither of the roles. There are better players out there!

I am doing insanely - thrashed Man United 3-0 and should have been 6-0, but my strikers wasted some glorius chances.

Signed: Riquelme - 14.5 Million (very good)

Richards - 30 million (Taksin accepts)

Zaccardo - 12 million (solid right (wing) back)

Rodrigo Palacio - 12 million (OK) sets himself up for loads of good chances but wastes a lot!!)

Owen - 10 million

playing

cech

a.cole terry ben-haim(plays better than Riccy) zaccard

richards

Lampard Essien/Ballack

Riquelme

Drogba Owen/Palacio

Amazing formation wing back push up giving space but concentrate passing through the middle!!!

got 40 million from selling Sheva (9) Malouda (14.5) SWP (6) Alex (6) and some other players

Finally got the full game and started a game with the Blues.

Transfers in:

Henri Saivet - 350 k

Georginio Wijnaldum - 275 k

Micah Richards - 25 mio

Daniel Alves - 32 mio

Rafael van der Vaart - 13.25 mio

Breno - 1.4 mio (1.1.2008)

Alex - 500 k (6.1.2008)

Total: 75 mio

Transfers out:

Alex - 4.9 mio

Michael Ballack - 10.25 mio

Steve Sidwell - 3.4 mio

Paulo Ferreira - 2.5 mio

Total: 21.5 mio

Got the 3 players I really wanted: Richards, Alves and van der Vaart, and managed to sell some of the players I didn't need.

Planned on selling Shevchenko, too, but just never got an offer for him. Hopefully I'll offload him in the january transfer window.

Beat Man Utd in the Community Shield on penalties, but otherwise results hasn't exactly been good - 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 defeat in the first 5 league games.

I'm struggling to getting my lone striker (Drogba) involved in the game and he hasn't even scored or set up a goal yet. I'm trying some new instructions now though, so hopefully he'll be more prolific.

Report back later icon_smile.gif

Well my changes seem to have worked; I've played 8 games since last update and won them all with a goalscore of 25-7. I'm finally beginning to score goals and, more importantly, Drogba is unstopable now scoring 10 goals in the last 7 games (he wasn't selected for a league cup game).

On the other side, I'm leaking too many goals now which I haven't done before.

I'm blaming this on the closing down issue, though, as my defenders just doesn't close down the opposition, letting them run with the ball into the 7 yard box without trying attempting a tackle.

Well, as long as I'm winning I'm satisfied icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Husty:

Just lost 2-1 to ManUtd on Community Shield. Playing 4-3-3 with wingers arrows to FC.

Bought van der Vaart and now I need first team RB, any suggestions other than Alves?

Why not Alves? He's great! Otherwise, I would suggest Zaccardo or Sergio Ramos.

Transfers in:

Tuia 300k

Micah Richards - 25 mil + sidwell

nasri 16.5

giles barnes 8.75

sotiris ninis 1m

Total: 52

Transfers out:

sidwell part exchange

alex 3m

belletti psv loan

Total: 3m lol

beat united 3-2 in charity shield,beat fulham 6-2 then got beat at home to 10 man reading lol

Started again now that the full game is out.

IN:

Goran Pandev - £13m (a big thank you to everyone who recommended him, he is awesome)

Daniel Alves - £41.5m (release clause)

Jefferson Farfan - £6m

OUT:

Paulo Ferreira - £3m

Hopefully Shevchenko before too long

Currently playing: (apologies in advance for the code)

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre"> Pandev Drogba

^ ^ ^

| \ |

| \ |

Malouda Essien Lampard Kalou/Farfan

A Cole Terry © Carvalho Alves

Cech </pre>

With long balls to Drogba's head, knocking them down for Pandev.

Results so far are a 2-2 draw with United in the CS (won 4-1 on pens), a 1-1 home draw with Boro, and a 3-1 away win at Birmingham.

woot woot amazing threat fellas! indeed!

i started a game with chelsea last night, but i was pretty fuzzy and rush with my money, so im going to start over again now icon_smile.gif

i dont see a reason to sell lampard, when u can lose ballack instead. lampard is the core of the team, i rather not give up on him. + i dont see any budget problem.. you can build a very nice squad with the current team players + a budget of around 60-70mil.

ill keep you guys inform, and all keep this threat alive! go CHELSKY ! icon_wink.gif

Just started my Chelsea career, I brought in Alves, Richards and Aguero, selling Shevchenko, Alex and Ferreira. I've spent all my budget though on those three, so no money for youth or staff sadly. I don't regret it though, aguero is awesome. First 3 games I won 3-1 against United in CS, 2-0 away at birmingham and I'm 2-0 up at half term home against Everton, both goals from Aguero.

Go Chels!

Only played the demo so far...

At the start of January when the demo ended, I was 9 points clear of United in 2nd place, who were 6 clear of Le Arse in 3rd.

Drogba was constantly injured, and regularly whinges to the press if you dare to critise his performance, even after a rating of 4!

Shevchenko was awesome, a genuine goalscoring machine with 3 hat-tricks by Christmas including 2 in 2 games (away at Roma in Europe and away at Le Arse in the league), however he regularly suffers from homesickness!

Brought in Phillip Lahm (negotiating with Bayern was hard work) and Andrea Barzagli (Italian central defender) and shipped out Ballack and Ferreira. Despite Ballack being "rated" at £12M, no side would pay more than £7M for him and even then they would only pay installments.....

When the demo ended, Lampard's ratings were way above anyone elses.

Usually stated with 4-4-2, but mixed it up with 4-5-1, 4-3-3 and 3-5-2.

Regular line ups:-

Cech

Lahm/Belletti, Carvalho, Terry, Lahm/A Cole

Joe Cole, Lampard, Essien, Malouda

Drogba (when fit), Shevchenko

Bench

Cudicini, Barzagli, Sidwell, Kalou, Pizzaro

Scott Sinclair and Ben Sahar both got regular look in s due to injury and both looked promising.

Struggled to find 3 players trained by Chelsea for 3 years before 21 for Champions League requirements without digging deep into reserves. Found I had to keep a couple of players in the reserves I did not really want. Anyone else had trouble?...

Originally posted by Markapawson:

Struggled to find 3 players trained by Chelsea for 3 years before 21 for Champions League requirements without digging deep into reserves. Found I had to keep a couple of players in the reserves I did not really want. Anyone else had trouble?...

Yeah, had to leave Sidwell out of the squad. My three home-grown were Terry, Shaun Cummings and *I think* Sam Hutchinson.

Big problem

League is going well, top by 5 points after 16 games, soring goals well and conceeding few

But clubs have constantly been showing interest in Cech, and now he says he's lost his motivation for the game and wants to leave!! It's only Decemeber!

So, my question is do I keep hold of him and hope he becomes happy again or do I replace him? And if so, with who??

Originally posted by Bracken:

Big problem

League is going well, top by 5 points after 16 games, soring goals well and conceeding few

But clubs have constantly been showing interest in Cech, and now he says he's lost his motivation for the game and wants to leave!! It's only Decemeber!

So, my question is do I keep hold of him and hope he becomes happy again or do I replace him? And if so, with who??

I had the same problem, but I just praised him and offered him a new contract and he became happy again.

A little bit more transfer activity in the january window:

Transfers in:

Breno - 3.8 mio

Alex - 500 k

Anton Sosnin - 1.5 mio

Genero Zeefuik - 2.1 mio

Oier Olazabal - 925 k

Transfers out:

Andriy Shevchenko - 10.25 mio (Sevilla)

Actually I didn't think I'd get that much for Shevchenko. He was only valued at 5 mio.

OK! so finally I started my Chelsea team..

got coaches, because the coaches they have s*ck hard..

i've bought:

Zaccardo - 9.75m$ (so far he is pretty dissapointing..)

Jean II Makoun - 17m$

Bresciano - 19.5m$

Rocchi - 21m$

and the cream of pie is Maxi Rodrigues - 30.5m$

sold out:

Ferriera - 9.5m$

Sean Wright Phillips - 29m$ to Arsenal

Pizzaro - 25m$ to Lazio

I still got some budget to spend, saving it to January.

I won the Man Utd 3-2 on the community shield, league proggres - 3rd place with 13pts laying 1 point behind first and second place. (6 games have been played)

Originally posted by Chenchu:

i've bought:

Jean II Makoun - 17m$

Bresciano - 19.5m$

Rocchi - 21m$

sold out:

Ferriera - 9.5m$

Pizzaro - 25m$ to Lazio

I won the Man Utd 3-2 on the community shield, league proggres - 3rd place with 13pts laying 1 point behind first and second place. (6 games have been played)

What coaches have you bought? I'm struggling to find anyone decent willing to join my team.

Some nice sales you've made. I'm impressed that you managed to get so much money for Ferreira and SWP.

Just started a new game as Chelsea.

IN:

Marcelo - Player Exchange

Ignashevich - Free

Philipp Lahm - 31m

Aaritalo - 450k

Derek Boateng - 850k

Ricardo Quaresma - 25.5m

Vagner Love - 15m

Breno - 9.5m

Total: 82m

OUT

Ashley Cole - 15m

Carvalho - 15m + Marcelo

Shevchenko - 13m

Tal Ben-Haim - 4.7m

Ballack - 16m

Sidwell - 2.4m

Wright-Phillips - 20m

Ferreira - 3.2m

Pizarro - 5.5m

Total: 95m

Had the urge to totally revamp my team and I went a bit crazy during the transfer market hehhehheh.

Doing alright so far, coming 2nd behind Manure with a point behind. Marcelo and Lahm had been immense for me so far. Vagner Love is a pretty neat little striker too, scoring 18 from 25.

I might sell Lampard soon, Mikel Jon Obi seems better than Lampard currently and will only surpass him later on.

End of season 1 update

I managed to win Premier League 4 points ahead of Man Utd. After a slow start, my team finally started to play well after 5 games. I had a minor crisis around february where I didn't win in 5 games but hereafter everything started to gel.

I was knocked out of the F.A. Cup in the fifth round to Liverpool who beat my 1-0.

Champions Cup didn't go well either. I met PSV in the first knockout round and unfortunately it was during my crisis so I lost 3-2 on aggregates. Very dissapointing but I'll take revenge next year icon_smile.gif

Silva just signed a new contract with a 33 mio release clause, so guess who's joining the Blues july 1st? icon_wink.gif

Otherwise I'm just bringing in some youngsters, but looking at Gyan as a replacement for Drogba in the future. They seem very similar.

I'd really like either Bojan or Balotelli however, but I don't think they'll join if I ever got an offer accepted. Bojan in particular looks amazing but I'll probably have to trigger his 20 mio release clause.

Inter rejected a 12 mio bid for Balotelli and I don't know if he's worth it then. He looks brilliant though.

Mancienne and Rajkovic are coming back from loans now so they'll get a good run of first team football this season.

Sahar looks really brilliant also!

Originally posted by Bracken:

Big problem

I had a similar problem with Drogba before the season even started!!!

Barcelona came knocking and I told them to do one. Drogba immediately went into a sulk and stated he was unhappy with his manager for not allowing him to move clubs.....

Who do you guys get/suggest i get as a back up left back to a.cole?bridge is out for 2 months (but ill prob try offloading him when hes fit anyway) im looking at a young attacking player like carlinhos in fm07,anyone out there?o yeah ive got about 15 million ponds left but obviously i only wanna spend £3-5 million on the left back

Originally posted by krislewis8:

Who do you guys get/suggest i get as a back up left back to a.cole?bridge is out for 2 months (but ill prob try offloading him when hes fit anyway) im looking at a young attacking player like carlinhos in fm07,anyone out there?o yeah ive got about 15 million ponds left but obviously i only wanna spend £3-5 million on the left back

Guilherme of Vasco looks like a really great prospect and should be around 3-4 mio.

Originally posted by No.25:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chenchu:

i've bought:

Jean II Makoun - 17m$

Bresciano - 19.5m$

Rocchi - 21m$

sold out:

Ferriera - 9.5m$

Pizzaro - 25m$ to Lazio

What coaches have you bought? I'm struggling to find anyone decent willing to join my team.

Some nice sales you've made. I'm impressed that you managed to get so much money for Ferreira and SWP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

for Ferriera i made an installments offer, so they agreed to pay that much. and about SWP.. heh, i offered him for that price in installments, and then Arsenal came with that offer. that was amazing, they didnt even use the installments, they paid in CASH! icon_smile.gif

about coaches, usually i look into motivation, man handling and some kind of coaching (attack, defence, tactics.. etc) 15+ and i find like 2-3 at least for each aspect. if find nothing, just low it to 14, and it has to find some coaches.

if you still find nobody, ill look into the game tommorrow and give you names..

Archived