AI Experiment - what would happen if?

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by kipfizh:

Former England manager Left Back 1 has been confirmed as the new manager of the Bandits.

Goalkeeper 1 will remain as assistant.

Oh my. Can't believe we've got an ex-Bandits duo managing the team. Brilliant for the story, lets just hope they can do well and bring success, that would be amazing.

I can't help but feel optomistic after Sheff Wed's success last season under a former Bandit. But at the same time some of the other former stars haven't done so well as managers. I just hope with their decent club reputation and almost endless funds that success can finally be had under the new management team.

Great stuff icon14.gif

Former England manager Left Back 1 has been confirmed as the new manager of the Bandits.

have any of them actually won anything major? im trying to think back to the ex-stars and apart from current sheff wed manager they didnt actually set the world alight

Can you check what his reputation is like? (Left Back 1)

Would be interesting to see if the Bandits' board hired him based on a high reputation or not because it clearly wasn't because of a high CA unfortunately.

OMG!

Not one, but TWO ex-Bandits returning to the fold!

I hope they'll manage to bring greatness to the team, it would be awesome if they could end their careers back where they started from. But they still have a few more years in them...

Crikey. So much updated, so little time to reply.

I'm not sure how I feel about Davies finally retiring. He looked pretty pants, but you can't deny the success he brought to the club. And after previous incumbents, the lack of selling he did too!

The Bandits definitely flattered to deceive this year though. Got a long way into most of the competitions but when the chips were down they got stuffed. Every time.

Disappointed to see LM1 hired. Solely on ability. If GK1 had been promoted and LM1 assistant, probably better. However, you can't deny the ambition in hiring a successful international manager.

Astounded that the utterly useless over-hyped pseudo-footballer that is Maia finally got a medal. No justice!

Finally, the sections:

1) Yes I like the new team report.

2) No I don't mind if Man U get shrunk to a one-liner barring anything major occuring.

3) I'd be very sad to see the end of the Ones to Watch. I've followed Lupos career so long I feel I know him. Perhaps a reduction to the top 10 or 15 players will balance peoples rabid Bandit lust with those of us who enjoy knowing about those greats amongst us.

After all, most of us got into football or supported a particular team because of the player. Ricky Villa is the reason I support Spurs. When I think of great moments I think of Zico, Baggio, Papin. That ludicrous Le Tissier goal against Blackburn. So mark me down as a huge fan of the great player section and don't trim it too much icon_smile.gif

VB

Originally posted by Mravac Kid:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

OMG!

Not one, but TWO ex-Bandits returning to the fold!

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

technically only left back 1 was returning, goalie 1 was already assistant

I can see it all know, Busby and Murphy, clough and taylor, shankley and paisley, and soon left back 1 and goalkeeper 1 will join the ranks of the great manager/assistant partnerships... hopefully.

Originally posted by Chilliconcarnie:

Ok I can live without the Man Utd watch, but with this season's update you included it a bit in the summary... Could you just maybe give a one sentance summary to the effect of "Man Utd finished 4th in the Championship this season but lost out at the semi final stage."

Just to keep us United fans happy icon_smile.gif

Am guessing you spent your childhood in Outer Manchester and moved to Worcestshire for wor purposes.

Suprised by this. I would have guessed that Goalkeeper 1 would have got the job.

Hope they can take us that final step.

Originally posted by VonBlade:

After all, most of us got into football or supported a particular team because of the player.

VB

Strongly disagree with that statement, where you're from matters more imo, however, I fully understand and accept your point about the Ones to Watch, I just beg to differ.

Damn Kipfizh, you got me hooked again, I check this thread 20 times a day again now

Originally posted by kccircle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Chilliconcarnie:

Ok I can live without the Man Utd watch, but with this season's update you included it a bit in the summary... Could you just maybe give a one sentance summary to the effect of "Man Utd finished 4th in the Championship this season but lost out at the semi final stage."

Just to keep us United fans happy icon_smile.gif

Am guessing you spent your childhood in Outer Manchester and moved to Worcestshire for wor purposes. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nah moved down here when i was a wee nipper. Come from a City supporting family. I was always the rebellious type so I supported United to pee them all off, before I really got into United and football just before we signed Cantana. Actually I think it was Cantana that made me really get into following football.

When we won the inaugral (sp) Premier League guess who was laughing in their faces then icon_biggrin.gif

Part of me is wondering now - How long will this experiment run for? Until the Bandits achieve honours? Or beyond?

Does anyone know when the Bandits are holding their Xmas party?

I haven't had chicken in a basket for ages, and I'd love to meet Left Back 1 and wish him luck.

And what about a secret santa pressie for Kip... we all buy him something for all the time and effort he has put in icon14.gif

I'd get him a cigar and a nice bottle of something for him to open to celebrate when (hopefully soon) the Bandits win the PL.

Kip - if there were a Bandits Xmas party, what would you like to receive in honour of your efforts??

Originally posted by williamshankley:

Coud you pos Dane Jackson's CA PA would be interesting to see who he compares to our strikers

Sure, Duane Jackson plays for Liverpool, is 27 years old and has a CA/PA of 179/188. He is a fantastic striker, much better than Tom Finley, who is the Bandits' equivalent style striker.

Originally posted by Tom =):

1. Have any of the other home nations teams made it to a European Championship or World Cup

2. Do they have any decent players

Scotland have been exceptionally strong over the past eight years, and are in fact the current world champions.

About ten years ago, Wales had two of the best strikers in the world - the world beater section regularly featured them as two of the best five players around, but as a team they never amounted to much.

Both Irish nations have consistently struggled.

To answer a few queries about whether players and staff are getting better or worse, here are some updated stats, thanks also to Berrern.

The number of players and staff matching each criteria are given in three stages:

1) Start of game, thanks to Berrern's stats

2) 2034-35 stats, as posted by me on page 16

3) Game state at end of 2048-49 season

In the format

Players with 180+ CA: Start - 2034-35 - now

Number of players in the game : 10218 - 14442 - 14384

Number of staff in the game : 3831 - 3652 - 3449

Players with PA 180+ : 166 (1.6%) - 198 (1.4%) - 193 (1.3%)

Staff with PA 180+ : 145 (3.8%) - 81 (2.2%) - 75 (2.2%)

Players with PA 160+ : 1122 (11%) - 857 (5.9%) - 813 (5.7%)

Staff with PA 160+ : 432 (11.3%) - 249 (6.8%) - 226 (6.6%)

Players with PA 140+ : 2452 (24%) - 2405 (16.7%) - 2382 (16.6%)

Staff with PA 140+ : 907 (23.7%) - 450 (12.3%) - 410 (11.9%)

Players with PA 120+ : 3661 (35.8%) - 4870 (33.7%) - 4850 (33.7%)

Staff with PA 120+ : 1468 (38.3%) - 1111 (30.4%) - 1069 (31.0%)

Players with PA 100+ : 4921 (48.2%) - 7598 (52.6%) - 7696 (53.5%)

Staff with PA 100+ : 1909 (49.8%) - 1629 (44.6%) - 1590 (46.1%)

Once the Fred system settles down, it looks like the stats are remaining pretty constant.

Originally posted by markymarky:

is Maia the only world-beater or former world-beater to have won a major international tournament? if so, there is no god. :'(

who have the mainstays in the world and european player and footballer of the year been?

I believe Maia is the only world beater to take a trophy home, yes, and that is the biggest injustice out there.

The winners of the World and European awards make more sense - it has been Lupo/Robles and co in the past, and currently Guichard, Castillejo and Bucci and taking the honours.

Originally posted by Ste93:

have any of them actually won anything major? im trying to think back to the ex-stars and apart from current sheff wed manager they didnt actually set the world alight

Right Mid 1 has been a success story, although his career isn't perfect. After an initial spell at Chelsea, which wasn't particularly successful, he managed all over Europe, and began to win trophies. Now, with Sheff Wed, his experience has helped him do a fantastic job.

The rest are touch and go. Left Back 1 himself is a difficult one to place - did he do a good job with England? He never won a tournament, but progressed far in all of them.

The rest haven't really had the inclination to manage, but Goalkeeper 2 has flirted with the idea from time to time, disastrously.

Originally posted by Meitheisman:

Can you check what his reputation is like? (Left Back 1)

Would be interesting to see if the Bandits' board hired him based on a high reputation or not because it clearly wasn't because of a high CA unfortunately.

His reputation is worldwide, well over 9000, so he is a world star in terms of management. I reckon the Bandits got someone with such a high reputation because they one among his favoured clubs, but his reputation is a touch misleading because on the face of it, he just doesn't seem that good.

I'm not sure how I feel about Davies finally retiring. He looked pretty pants, but you can't deny the success he brought to the club. And after previous incumbents, the lack of selling he did too!

The Bandits definitely flattered to deceive this year though. Got a long way into most of the competitions but when the chips were down they got stuffed. Every time.

Disappointed to see LM1 hired. Solely on ability. If GK1 had been promoted and LM1 assistant, probably better. However, you can't deny the ambition in hiring a successful international manager.

Astounded that the utterly useless over-hyped pseudo-footballer that is Maia finally got a medal. No justice!

Yeah, Stuart Davies will be remembered fondly, if not for his long term vision. He certainly knew how to get the best out of the players he had.

The team seems on the verge at the moment - good enough to progress and cause a few upsets, but not actually as good as the top sides, who prove the point when they play well.

I think the intentions when signing Left Back 1 were admirable, and if they are repeated in the future then the Bandits have good times ahead. But in terms of pure ability, he isn't a good choice.

He's not even real, but I really dislike Maia, the egotistical self-promoting useless pile of rubbish.

Damn Kipfizh, you got me hooked again, I check this thread 20 times a day again now

Excellent, that's what I like to hear!!!

Originally posted by Chilliconcarnie:

Part of me is wondering now - How long will this experiment run for? Until the Bandits achieve honours? Or beyond?

I really don't know. It'll run until the experiment isn't showing anything anymore. It's already given me a bunch of ideas for the reincarnation of the Bandits, which may well wait until FM09 depending on the progress of this one.

The next experiment will bear a lot of similarities to this one, but has quite a few new angles to explore.

Originally posted by achilles elbow:

Kip - if there were a Bandits Xmas party, what would you like to receive in honour of your efforts??

An Xbox 360, because the wife won't let me have one icon_biggrin.gif

I'll be raising a glass when they win something more important than the League Cup!

Originally posted by RavenVW:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kipfizh:

And here's Left Back 1:

Left Back 1

Tactical Knowledge - 1

Motivating - 1

Judging player potential - 1

Man management - 10

Erm... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh **** icon_biggrin.gif

what was his record as england manager? I would check but it would take all night for find everything and i'm due at a party soon.

as for his stats, there are infinite mclaren/rival club jokes there, but they're so predictable I won't bother.

On an entirely separate not, this should answer a query that has come up quite a few times, and I'd forgotten I'd changed:

I altered the Bandits home town to Poole in the database. So, that's where their catchment area is.

And here's Left Back 1:

Left Back 1

How many people live in Poole? This could explain the lack of promising youngsters coming through the academy (except for the 3 we got last year of course)

On the manager/player PA you're right in the sense that it looks like it's almost stabilized but the numbers are still way lower than what they were in 06/07 which is somewhat of a concern imo.

Originally posted by RavenVW:

And here's Left Back 1:

Left Back 1

Tactical Knowledge - 1

Motivating - 1

Judging player potential - 1

Man management - 10

Erm... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh dear

Originally posted by 4Site:

Few just took me like 4 days in long interludes to finally read every single post...

... COMEON BANDITS!!!

Well Done Kip. KUTAW

Sounds more like it tbh. It always makes me laugh when people pop in this thread and say something like "wow, took me 2 hours to read this!" icon_biggrin.gif

It would take 2 hours to read it if you only read Kips posts, and even then only read the first paragraph summation and glanced at the final position.

When I joined this thread a multitude of pages ago, when it was actually part of the main forum rather than bizarrely linked to page 46 when it's really page 20, it still took me the best part of four hours to read it and the players were still playing.

VB

It would take 2 hours to read it if you only read Kips posts, and even then only read the first paragraph summation and glanced at the final position.

Yeah pretty much what I meant, it's just not humanly possible to read this entire thread in 2 hours. Not to mention all the links to click and other posters than Kipfizh.

i found this thread in july and it took a good 9 or 10 hours to read it then, and had to go back and re-read a lot.......

got mixed feelings about the bandits new manager but maybe as mentioned his reputation will draw players to the club and after all his assistant is a pretty talented coach.....

How many people live in Poole? This could explain the lack of promising youngsters coming through the academy (except for the 3 we got last year of course)

On the manager/player PA you're right in the sense that it looks like it's almost stabilized but the numbers are still way lower than what they were in 06/07 which is somewhat of a concern imo.

This is a very good point, having used the database in the past I've noticed that each town/city etc has an attraction number from 1-20, East Dulwich (which is where Fisher is according to my database...) is set at 0 which presumably means it will be random.

Also there's an "Inhabitants Range" which is set as "not set".

So I would guess that a random number would be generated on every new game.

So perhaps if both these are very low on Kip's game this may explain why the youth intake for The Bandits has been rather poor on the whole over the period of their existance.

Originally posted by jimmyjazz1983:

Incidently I used East Dulwich as the city as that's where Fishers' stadium is, but the details for Poole are excatly the same.

This spurred me on to do a bitof Fisher Athletic research.

I played against Fisher Athletic back in 1986 and remember it very well as they had a fantastci stadium and had just been promotedto the Conference (now Blue Square Premier) and when you said East Dulwich it just didn't ring any bells.

So it turns out that their actual home is in Rotherhithe in the London Docklands (Docklands Stadium is where I played) but they have temporarily moved to groundshare with East Dulwich FC.

So Fisher now play in East Dulwich, however they are from the London Docklands.

Hmm fair enough but I wouldn't have thought the groundsharing issue would have much effect, I'm not sure though as there's not a 'city' for Fisher as far as I can see from the editor, maybe someone else might be able to clear that up better than me.

I don't know if it'll be possible to see the numbers for attraction or inhabitants in Kip's game I don't think they'll appear in the Geniescout or FMM and if they are random as the initial editor suggests then we can only speculate as to what they are in Kip's game...

While I am sure attraction comes into it for attracting players (to a small degree), do we know if the attraction and city size has any effect on players produced? Have SI said anything on this or is that bit in the editor completely redundant for a game influencing point of view.

Archived