Wallace v Roberts - the striking legends small to big club North v South face-off

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

DOwnloaded the Softies save and am getting underway. I have a little more work than I expected as the save is on May 12th, so no big deal icon_wink.gif

Preliminary insights. Need to hire a goalkeepers coach and I did upload my training, but only using the youth setups I have.

I will be also, since they are in the BS/S and have no reserve or under 18 games to play, be setting up my own little season for those teams, do that for my saves so that the player on those teams can get better and be fit for replacements if the injury bug hits.

Going to use my tactics also, seems to be very effective, it is a 5-2-1-2 tactic that is attack oriented and has always been successful for my saves. I usually play as Sutton Utd (long story as to why) and always seem to do well with it.

Will update more when it warrants. Not sure if I will go with strictly LLM rules or not, but may try it for a bit, if I can, never seem able to do that for long, hate to lose, lol.

Peace

Duh, I really aught to pay closer attetion, lol.

Scratch pretty much all my last post, lol. Defuge left the Softires in a really great position and it will be my job to move us up.

Just looked at the team, and we do need to improve to move up, but I will do my best to do that.

peace

For the time being, at least till the start of the season, you can refuse to accept a loan right? Say they want to send the same players and I just decide to say no, that could be possible right? Will that effect the relationship. I am thinking of the money from the friendly at this time and possibility of a lower level player or two to fill the many gaps I am only just beginning to fill.

I am definitely not running this as a LLM season. I am a little (no previous managers fault) disappointed and amazed that we have come this far with the lack of talent we have, lol.

I have gotten to the friendly season and am off to a horrid start but have just brought in a dozen newer, cheap but not too bad talent-wise, players to bolster the chances of staying afloat in the BSP.

I am very impressed with what you did for this team Dafuge, aside from the loanees, we were pretty weak.

Have somewhat improved all positions but still not where I wish I was.

Peace

This is very odd, playing a friendly on July 30 away and it is 33 degrees out and we are playing with the orange ball and it is a snow looking field. What is up with that, and they say there is global warming, lol.

Playing Devizes, not sure where that is but it is an English team, does it snow in England in July often, being from the States, I found that very interesting.

Peace

History so far:

Northern Monkeys / Ten Ton FC

Season 1. Bermybhoy - BSN - 7th

Season 2. aaberdeenn - BSS - 1st, promoted!

Season 3. NepentheZ - BSP - 21st, relegated

Season 4. Gundo/rlipscombe - BSS - 17th

Season 5. aaberdeenn - BSS - season starting

6. ridleys

7. NepentheZ

Honours

BSS Champions, 2008/9 - aaberdeen

Southern Softies / Legends FC

Season 1. Robert296 - BSS - 1st, promoted!

Season 2. Dafuge - BSP - 5th, play off semi-final

Season 3. elf_30 - BSP - season starting

Season 4. Spc1485

5. Poopypants

Honours

BSS Champions, 2007/8 - Robert296

FA Trophy, 2008/9 - dafuge

If anyone else wishes to take part, let me know.

aaberdeenn, elf_30...just been thinking of ideas, to keep it interesting. Let us know how you see the season panning out:

- predicted media finish

- how you predict it iwll go - league and cups

- predict your player of the year

- top goalscorer

- promising youngster you're trying to bring on

- anything else you can think of

Just thinking that right now we don't know too much about who is actually doing the biz for these teams...

Let us know how you see the season panning out:

- predicted media finish: 12th

- how you predict it will go - Started out poorly but with adding new players, that is expected. I told the Board I would try for a top half finish and if things go well, should be possible or better. Cups wise, will be interesting. Board wants 1st round fa, 5th round SS and 3 FAT, not confindent but awaiting first regular season game, only a week away. That will better help me answer this one.

- predict your player of the year: Too many new guys, get back to you on this later.

- top goalscorer: Hard to say, not very many scored in friendlies so no idea yet.

- promising youngster you're trying to bring on: One of our new youth players is a gk, he is really good starting attributes and could be very, very good, he is getting 1st team time.

- anything else you can think of: Gonna try to give a monthly break down, see if that can help, is player naming ok in this thread or should we not do so. If not, will not.

Hope that is something you had in mind. Gonna be a wild season, woo hoo, this is so much fun, icon_biggrin.gif

I don't think I'll be able to do anything with the save until Saturday night I think :/ I'll try to get a bit of time in here and there but nothing substantial until then so I'll get that list you've got done then.

Got football game tomorrow night, then out for some drinks afterwards. School-oose then out again Friday I think. Aberdeen game Saturday day-time. Also got a lot of coursework and revision to do.

Don't worry though, it'll definitely finished by Monday night. I promise, whatever it takes.

No worries, the Softies are way behind anyway. In terms of playing time at least icon_rolleyes.gif

Elf, playing naming encouraged, they are ALL fictional anyway! Both games were set up seperately so not like the other team can use your knowledge either. Good work with the responses. icon14.gif I'm considering a season end 'interview' as well....

Robert, will add you on again.

Cool, just wanted to be sure.

Very encouraging start, clean sheet if first game.

Our GK that came through is Andy Jones, some of his better attributes are:

Airial Ability:19

Handling: 13

Tendancy to Punch: 10

Determination: 13

Bravery: 14

and he is only 16.

Could be a great player, if we can develope him right.

Peace

Apologies but I've decided that I no longer want to have another go.

I've had a look at the save and it's all too confusing. Originally I was only the second player to play so it wasn't noticeable then but I can't handle the contrasting styles that have been used by others in the game. It was in principle a good idea for a game but I didn't anticipate to go like this.

I don't have a clue what's going on. Don't kwno what to do. I'm just totally lost.

Apologies again, so whoever's next is free to go.

Good luck guys, I'll keep checking in to see how we're doing. icon14.gif

I mean that some people like to have loads of players, I like to have the minimum amount of players.

People sign players with certain intentions but I don't understand. The way players are and have been signed by others is just confusing to me.

Tactics, scouting, shortlists, ...

Just confuses me after I've missed a few years, I'm just totally lost.

It's really hard to explain but I know what I mean.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

I mean that some people like to have loads of players, I like to have the minimum amount of players.

People sign players with certain intentions but I don't understand. The way players are and have been signed by others is just confusing to me.

Tactics, scouting, shortlists, ...

Just confuses me after I've missed a few years, I'm just totally lost.

It's really hard to explain but I know what I mean.

If it's any help, I just ignored what the previous manager had done, assessed the squad as I usually would when taking over a team then put all my own routines into place. I completely changed the training, tactics, signings, everything.

Yeah, I can handle that. The one thing I hate is having loads and loads of players. Especially in the lower leagues.

At the moment there are about 50 or so players on the books. When I was originally in charge I had about 30 with 10 or so of them being U18's.

Originally posted by aaberdeenn:

Yeah, I can handle that. The one thing I hate is having loads and loads of players. Especially in the lower leagues.

At the moment there are about 50 or so players on the books. When I was originally in charge I had about 30 with 10 or so of them being U18's.

I'm the same, I like to keep a first team squad that just about fits on the page without having to scroll down. I'd free transfer a load of them.

Robert, Dafuge, 6th and 7th on the list as it stands.

If anyone wants to swap positions or anything, just say. Spc has also gone quiet, could do with confirmation he is still up for it.

Will advertise for more people again when we start to run out.

Originally posted by bermybhoy:

50 icon_eek.gif

Hope a few of the contracts are nearly up. Cut the dead wood adrift and do your own thing. You know it makes sense icon14.gif

Back in?

Actually probably more like 60 to be honest. Thanks for the help guys, especially you dafuge. Cheers icon14.gif.

I'd say so yes, lets see what I can do. icon_wink.gif

Robert, Dafuge, 6th and 7th on the list as it stands.

If anyone wants to swap positions or anything, just say. Spc has also gone quiet, could do with confirmation he is still up for it.

Will advertise for more people again when we start to run out.

I'm still good to do a season, just been working away from home this week so no chance to post. I've got most of next week relatively free so hopefully there will be a quick turn around if elf finishes in the next few days.

Glad the softies are back in the running, seems age's siunce dafuge finished his season. Good luck elf, hopefully i will have the first season in the football league with one of our teams icon_wink.gif

End of the first month update, sort of:

Well, the first month saw a severe turn for the worse for the Softies. After a horrid preseason, We got a shut out in our first game of the season and then the floor fell away.

The team looked like a bunch of school kids playing among men and I tried almost every thing I could think of and we just could not seem to get on the right track.

I was getting pressure from the fans and media to alter my tactics, something I almost never do, but for some reason, for the final game of August, I decided to use a borrowed tactic and the most amazing thing happened.

1-0 win over Oxford at home in a match that they were favored in. I am satisfied that August is now behind us and if things start to progress from here, this could get only better.

Highest League pos: 1st

Lowest League pos: 22

Top goal scorer for Aug: Tim Phillips and Jamie Stewart - 2 each

Highest Ave Rating: Tim Phillips 7.5

Scores:

3-0 Boston United

1-4 Macclesfield

0-4 Nuneaton

0-3 Halifax

1-4 Weymouth

1-0 Oxford

With everyone's cooperation, the Softies are getting it together. Have brought in quite a few new players and it seems that things are starting to jell just a little better and I think we can turn this around and start climbing the ladder toward the top.

End of August League Pos:

6 Played W2 D0 L4 GF6 GA15 GD-9 Pts6, we are two points clear of the zone.

More info tommorrow, I am off to work now and probably wont get much until late tonight.

Peace

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elf_30:

The team looked like a bunch of school kids playing among men

Probably my fault that, I replaced the squad with a load of youngsters, hoping they would get good further down the line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You also did extremely well though, albeit with some loan signings.

Interesting this, how it's actually becoming more difficult as time goes on. It surely can't be that we're just hopeless at the game? I don't think it's novices taking part. I can't really think of many ways to promote consistency year on year, without detracting from the initial point of the challenge, which was encouraging the use of individual styles.

One thing would be allowing each person more than one season, would potentially kill all interest in terms of people following it/wanting to play and would be a pretty big change to introduce.

Any ideas? Or is it a case, of we'll 'get there' eventually?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by elf_30:

The team looked like a bunch of school kids playing among men

Probably my fault that, I replaced the squad with a load of youngsters, hoping they would get good further down the line. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You also did extremely well though, albeit with some loan signings.

Interesting this, how it's actually becoming more difficult as time goes on. It surely can't be that we're just hopeless at the game? I don't think it's novices taking part. I can't really think of many ways to promote consistency year on year, without detracting from the initial point of the challenge, which was encouraging the use of individual styles.

One thing would be allowing each person more than one season, would potentially kill all interest in terms of people following it/wanting to play and would be a pretty big change to introduce.

Any ideas? Or is it a case, of we'll 'get there' eventually? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think anyone should be in charge for more than one season in a row, taking a team on from another manager is part of the challenge.

I think the results are going to be worse than if one manager was in charge, but that should be expected. If we stick at it the clubs should improve slowly with time.

I don't think anyone should be in charge for more than one season in a row, taking a team on from another manager is part of the challenge.

I think the results are going to be worse than if one manager was in charge, but that should be expected. If we stick at it the clubs should improve slowly with time.

Yeah think you're dead right with all of that. Can see a situation arising at some point, perhaps soon, where a manager's contract isn't renewed or he's sacked, we might want to think about replacement managers names icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Yeah think you're dead right with all of that. Can see a situation arising at some point, perhaps soon, where a manager's contract isn't renewed or he's sacked, we might want to think about replacement managers names icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's bound to happen at some point, I've been sacked enough times on this game. We could just add new managers with the same names, it would be a shame to have to lose the names we started with.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bermybhoy:

Yeah think you're dead right with all of that. Can see a situation arising at some point, perhaps soon, where a manager's contract isn't renewed or he's sacked, we might want to think about replacement managers names icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It's bound to happen at some point, I've been sacked enough times on this game. We could just add new managers with the same names, it would be a shame to have to lose the names we started with. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seconded.

Well, I see it this way.

It will be harder and harder as we progress because each manager is different and although it may not always seem so, but team you manage will struggle from year to year if the training is changed or constant alterations of the tactics.

Like I said, the tactic I change to to start the season is one I have had success with on every levle, be it a lower division team all the way to the top. Most of the time, the lower league teams do better with it, but I rarely find a time where I dont want to use it.

Softies are the first. Players on this team are not that bad, they are normal for a lower team and even though I know it works, they could not handle it, the only time it was good was for the opener. Four straight, ugly defeats later, I went back to an attacking 4-4-2 and they win.

This is going to be a draw back but it also makes the challenge more interesting.

Side note, I have not broken the link with Arsenal yet, but they have not decided to send me any loanees as of yet, plan to decline the offer unless they are what I deem the right players for this level. The income, although only a once a year thing, helped. I near have the balance over a million to the good.

Peace

End of the September update:

September started where August left off, another win but all was not as well as I had hoped. Our next game was a draw then a run of three defeats before finishing the month off strong with a draw and a wild one for the final win of the month.

Top goal scorer: Tim Phillips 7

Highest Ave Rating: Tim Phillips 7.33

Scores:

2-0 Newport County

1-1 Histon

0-3 Stockport

3-4 Kidderminster

0-2 York

0-0 Grays

6-3 AFC Telford

End of Sept. League Pos:

13 Played W4 D2 L7 GF18 GA28 GD-10 Pts14

We are currently 7pts clear of the Relegation zone and have succeeded at getting more more points from Sept than from August and we seem to be getting better, but cant afford more runs.

Arsenal have finally decided to send a couple of players to the Softies, but honestly, they wont start for me on the 1st team, they are both defenders and dont measure up to what I currently have so I will put them down on the reserves and keep the link for now.

Just my luck, they wait until I take over to send the really poor players to us, LOL.

More updates tonight and hope to be done with the save by sometime Wednesday. Not planning on much tommorrow, it is my 40th birthday and my gf is getting most of my family together so I can cook out for them, lol.

Peace

Archived