Wallace v Roberts - the striking legends small to big club North v South face-off

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

End of the October update:

October started out blah, but turned into a better than average month.

Top goal scorer: Tim Phillips 9

Highest Ave Rating: Tim Phillips and Bob Willims (DC) 7.12

Scores:

0-2 Notts County

2-1 Forest Green

2-1 Aldershot

1-0 Cambrige

1-1 Billericay 4th Round FA Cup Qualifier

5-3 Billericay 4th Round FA Cup Qualifier

2-0 Rochdale

End of Sept. League Pos:

19 Played W7 D3 L9 GF25 GA35 GD-10 Pts24

We are currently 13pts clear of the Relegation zone and and in 17th, only up one from end of Sept but it is a step in the right direction.

Tim Walker, the better of the two loanees was excited to have joined Fisher as we are listed as one of his favorite teams. He is on the reserve team, along with his loanee partner and a deal could possible be worth it for him, if he can improve by the end of the year.

On the FA Cup front, we do face Forest Green in the 1st round and could be a good game for us having beaten them the first go around.

Team is really showing some potential and I hope that there could be a player or two avaiable in Jan to put us over the top for good.

Have the clubs balace currently at 1.07 millions and am nearly 5.00k p/w under our current salary budget, so the possiblities are looking very good, we are actually making money.

Hoping to get to January on Tuesday and then push the rest of the season through by the end of Wednesday, my next day off. Should be done pretty close to that.

Peace

Peace

End of the November update:

November turn into a decent month, but not fantastic.

Leading scorer: Jamie Stewart 12

Highest Ave Rating: Bob Williams 7.08

Scores:

1-0 Salisbury

0-0 Forest Green FA Cup 1st

2-1 Dorchester

1-3 Forest Green FA Cup 1st Replay (eliminated)

0-1 Kettering

2-1 Boston Utd

1-5 Macclesfield

End of Sept. League Pos:

16th 24GP W10 D3 L11 GF31 GA43 GD-12 Pts 33

We are currently 19pts clear of the Relegation zone and slowly climbing up the ladder. It looks like a mid-table finish is in the cards, but I am hoping to improve the team in the January transfer window. The increasing goal differential is starting to worry me but that might not all be on the defense. We have not scored a lot and that could be something I need to address.

The FA Trophy 1st round see us going to Nantwich in the middle of December and I hope to redeem myself a bit there with some wins and a good cup run.

Overall, it is starting to come together but we have quite a few injuries at this time, including our leading scorer who is out for 2 days to 2 weeks. Currently two others that have been playing a vital role in the first 11 are out for varying times and hope that with their return, we will be able to gel and make the move up the ladder.

On the financial side, we have 1.08 million as a balance with a transfer budget of 79.81k and a wage difference of 4.35k p/w to the good. Team is making nearly 200k a month right now, so that has to help somewhat.

Next update later today, working on December as I type this.

peace

Didnt change anything so that in the denomination it was at the start. Just happy to be making some cash. Next update should be ready around 5pm my time, in about an hour and a half or so.

January will take me a while, probably done sometime tomorrow as I have a lot of players to explore and try to find a better striker and possibly a defender or improve on my current goalie.

Little sneak peak, didnt do well in our tourney runs but looks like the BSP will gain us another rung up if it stays as is when the final two weeks of the month are done. Lost in the Setanta 4th rd in a heartbreaker but did advance in the FA Trophy, although I was a bit disappointed at the goals scored.

Full update in a bit.

Peace

End of the December update:

December was a very good league month and we are still alive in the FA Trophy but for the Setanta Shield, early departure

Leading scorer: Tim Phillips 13 goals

Highest Ave Rating: Tim Walker (Arsenal Loan) 7.17 (12 appearances)

Scores:

1-0 Crawley Town

1-0 Nantwich Town FA Trophy 1st Rnd

0-2 Dorchester Setanta Shield 4th Rnd

1-0 Nuneaton

1-1 Halifax

End of December League Pos:

15th 27GP W12 D3 L11 GF34 GA44 GD-10 Pts 40

We are currently 20pts clear of the Relegation zone and slowly climbing up the ladder.

I am looking to grab a player or two to solidify the defense and maybe improve the offense a bit. There are a few and I do plan to spend the cash we have if I can.

More updates tomorrow.

Peace

End of the January update:

January saw the ending of our brief unbeaten run and the arrival of six new players and the departure of two from the reserves.

Leading scorer: Jamie Stewart 16 goals/24app.

Highest Ave Rating: Tim Walker (Arsenal Loan) 7.18 (12 appearances)

Scores:

3-1 Weymouth

1-3 Oxford FA Trophy 2nd Rnd

1-2 Oxford

1-2 Newport County

1-1 Histon

End of January League Pos:

14th 31GP W13 D5 L13 GF40 GA50 GD-10 Pts 44

We are currently 20pts clear of the Relegation zone and still climbing up the ladder.

Well, I didnt get the chance to get all the players I wanted. I did secure a goalkeeper, defender, midfielder and a striker.

A couple are older but were signed mostly to help get some experience in the first team and hopefully, in the long run, they will help the youngsters get that much better.

I must make a correction. When I said we were making almost 200k a month, I was misreading the home screen. Our profits were near that but we have been losing money. We now, after the transfers, have a balance of 987k, a pofit of 98.91l and a remaining transfer budget of 22.79k. We are also still 2.48k below our weekly wage budget so all in all, the months additions can only make us better and didnt really hurt anything financially.

We are just about there. We do have one more game played then most other teams so the 14th position is precarious at best. Although a win and some help from above and the top half finish I am hoping for (and called for at the start of the season to the board) is very attainable.

More updates later tonight.

peace

End of the February update:

February did little to help improve our league position but there is still hope. We cant win the league but we could finish as high as 2nd with a run out.

Leading scorer: Jamie Stewart 16 goals/28 app. (Four without a goal, but he was injured for a two week period, which could have been part of the problem.)

Highest Ave Rating: Tim Walker (Arsenal Loan) 7.19 (21 appearances)

Scores:

2-4 York

0-2 Kidderminster

3-1 Stockport

2-3 Grays

1-1 AFC Telford

End of February League Pos:

15th 36GP W14 D6 L16 GF48 GA61 GD-13 Pts 48

We are currently 18 pts clear of the Relegation zone and with only 10 games left, a few more wins could assure that we stay in the BSP.

We now have a balance of 963k, a profit of 74.6lk and a remaining transfer budget of 22.79k. We are also still 2.48k below our weekly wage budget.

Not happy with our play in February, we seemed to just do what was necessary to play out most of the games. I believe the new arrivals are starting to settle in and I am hoping that the end of the month will carry over to March and the final 10 games.

I predict that we will finish about where we are, we still have the extra game over everyone and that worries me. All the teams from 17 to the bottom are at 36 games too and as long as we keep get to 60 points, we should be ok.

I will finish the season off tommorrow. Hope to update March around 2pm est and then finish the regular season by early evening. I will take it to June 19 and then upload the save tomorrow night.

Been enjoying this and you can put me down for another round where you can fit me in.

Peace

I'm really sorry but I'm gonna have to bail out. I know I said I'd be okay to finish but I've been inundated with loads of work night after work so I've simply had no time for FM at all.

I've also got really important exams starting in 2 weeks so things will only get worse.

I've only played to the end of September so the next person may aswell just download the initial file and go again. I'm happy to have another go later on but I've no time at all at the moment.

My apologies, cheers.

Ah...that's disappointing, was just coming to ask how it was going. Can understand, don't worry about it. You're more than welcome to have another go further down the line.

Well it looks like next up is ridleys, if you want to take over now. Have to say though that I wouldn't at all mind doing this one, and leaving everyone else in the same order....

Let me know by tonight if you'd like to do it now, otherwise I'll make a crack at it and try and have it done over the weekend.

aaberdeenn, would you mind reposting the link you used for the download, the one above doesn't work for me. Cheers. Also if someone could email instructions on changing the name to whoever is going next (ridleys or myself) that would be appreciated.

End of the March update:

March is going to be known for ever as the month of INJURIES. At one point in time, during the middle of the month, we had 5 1st teamers out for no shorter than 2 weeks. Our disappointing run continued because of this and I was very hard pressed to keep us where we are.

Leading scorer: Jamie Stewart 17 goals/33 app.

Highest Ave Rating: Tim Walker (Arsenal Loan) 7.08 (26 appearances)

Scores:

1-4 Notts County

2-5 Forest Green

1-1 Stevenage

0-1 Rochdale

0-4 Aldershot

End of February League Pos:

17th 41GP W14 D7 L20 GF52 GA76 GD-25 Pts 49

We are currently 14 pts clear of the Relegation zone. We are now back on level with the majority of the league with games played and if we can just win a game in the last five, we should stay clear. Our final five games are against Cambridge, Salisbury, Dorchester, Kettering and Crawley. Salisbury are the only opponent left that are below us (10 points) in the standings and we can only hope for the best. We are currently 6 points up on Nuneaton so I am almost certain we can stay afloat.

We now have a balance of 947k, a profit of 58.54k and a remaining transfer budget of 22.79k. We are also still 2.48k below our weekly wage budget.

Recap:

Really not sure what has been going on. We have been scoring but just cant seem to keep the goals from leaking out at a much faster rate. If, by some miracle, we should win out, we could move up to 15 or so, but too many things have to work in our favor and at this time, the footy gods are not happy with the Softies.

I should be done with the regular season by 6pm and will then probably vacation to June 19th and then upload the save and hope for the best from whomever is next.

Peace

Keep it going elf at least we will stay in the bsp.

Instead of going on holiday till june 19 just upload the save from the the end of the season, as I wouldn't mind the extra time to have a look for some players, look at your squad etc. Presume this is ok.

Cheers

Cheers

I'm probly out most of the night but will download it when i get back.

End of the April update:

WE DID NOT GET RELEGATED!

Although April went pretty much like march, we did stay up and we will be in the BSP once more next season.

Leading scorer: Jamie Stewart 21 goals/37 app.

Leading Assists: Tim Phillips 13 assists/43 app.

These two made up our normal front line and worked well together, when the were together. Injuries were the biggest downfall and kept us down a bit this season.

Highest Ave Rating: Tim Walker (Arsenal Loan) 7.03/31 app

Again, I decided to keep the Arsenal link for the money and scouting and got Tim on loan. He was a decent player for us in the end but was not fantastic.

Scores:

0-3 Cambridge

0-1 Salisbury

1-1 Stevenage

0-6 Dorchester

2-2 Kettering

2-4 Crawley

End of Season League Pos:

18th 46GP W14 D8 L24 GF56 GA92 GD-36 Pts 50

We are finished 8 pts clear of the Relegation zone.

Overall, the first half of the season was by far the better half. Seemed like when I brought in the few players during the January trsnsfer window, the chemistry fell to pieces and we were never able to gel and get it together.

I am a bit disappointed at the finish but I am glad I kept us afloat in the BSP.

Here is the game link: Softies Save

Not sure why it did that, but there it is.

I ended my turn at the start of May, so you should have some time to play around, maybe set up a friendly or two and see what you think.

Good luck and put my name down for another round please.

peace

Nice work elf. Looks like a tough season. What's noticeable is that when they lost, they lost heavily, as if they just capitulated - either you go very gung-ho or the players are bottlers! At least that early/mid season form saw you through, and will give the next guy something to build from.

Will add you in for another go, no problem.

Ok since Ridleys hasn't claimed it, I've grabbed the file and will see what I can do. I hope no-one has any serious objections, I'll try and rattle through it.

First impressions...that's a LOT of players...will need to shift quite a few on. Reports to follow.

Northern Monkeys / Ten Ton FC

Season 1. Bermybhoy - BSN - 7th

Season 2. aaberdeenn - BSS - 1st, promoted!

Season 3. NepentheZ - BSP - 21st, relegated

Season 4. Gundo/rlipscombe - BSN - season in progress, relegation battle

5. aaberdeenn

6. poopypants

Honours

BSS Champions, 2008/9 - aaberdeen

Southern Softies / Legends FC

Season 1. Robert296 - BSS - 1st, promoted!

Season 2. Dafuge - BSP - 5th, play off semi-final

Season 3. HunterKiller - BSP - MIA (elf_30 may have to start season over)

4. elf_30

5. Spc1485

Honours

BSS Champions, 2007/8 - Robert296

FA Trophy, 2008/9 - dafuge

Bermy, Ive been down to take over from elf for quite a while and bided my time so think I should keep my place as per the last list posted by yourself. You've already had a go icon_wink.gif

Just downloaded it as well and seen that there are over 60+ players onthe books and only 4 on F/T contracts within the first team squad!

Anyway its ultimately up to you as its your thread but i'm ready to start and kept up with the thread for a while now so think I deserve a shot.

Make your decision and then let us know i'm free to start the game after work tomorrow and then could probably have it done by early next week at the latest.

I can see the confusion, Spc...that was a previous list. Really sorry about that. Newest one now looks like this:

History so far:

Northern Monkeys / Ten Ton FC

Season 1. Bermybhoy - BSN - 7th

Season 2. aaberdeenn - BSS - 1st, promoted!

Season 3. NepentheZ - BSP - 21st, relegated

Season 4. Gundo/rlipscombe - BSS - 17th

Season 5. bermybhoy - BSS - season starting

6. ridleys

7. NepentheZ

Honours

BSS Champions, 2008/9 - aaberdeen

Southern Softies / Legends FC

Season 1. Robert296 - BSS - 1st, promoted!

Season 2. Dafuge - BSP - 5th, play off semi-final

Season 3. elf_30 - BSP - 17th

Season 4. Spc1485 - BSP - season starting

5. Poopypants

6. Robert296

7. Dafuge

8. elf_30

Honours

BSS Champions, 2007/8 - Robert296

FA Trophy, 2008/9 - dafuge

Classic, thought you were jumping the queue icon_biggrin.gif

Quick summary of first day in office:

Just culled a combined squad of 60+ down to 14!!

I don't like big squads (cost me over 300k but i think I will reap the rewards as the season progresses, balance now at 200k) as with only a few coaches a smaller number can help. It also means I cant chop and change my team when we go on a losing run as i occassionly have been known to do.

A few good players (or so i think they are) languishing in the reserves have survived the cull as has Tim Phillips last seasons top scorer.

Will update tommorow with my progress although I think it will take a while to get ready for the new season as I need to review the 14 survivors and see which of them will accept new contratcs etc.

Good work on keeping us in the BSP elf, hopefully I can build on top of your solid foundations.

No messing about there Spc! 300k is a LOT...must have been on long contracts...you couldn't have sold a few of them?

For my part, have made a start on the Monkeys in aaberdeenn's place. As previously noted there was also a HUGE squad there, whom I also set about culling. Thankfully nearly all were out of contract or just about to expire so it didn't cost much. Oddly enough, a lot were sitting on rolling contracts and I guess must have been for at least a year...might be worth noting for future reference to keep an eye on who's been dumped in the reserves, as they are probably unneccesarily draining cash.

Included in that lot was the young striker Bell, who had a great first two seasons but has been rotting since. Unfortunately with that inactivity he's no longer anywhere near good enough. Of the few other names I recognised, I was surprised to find Massey still in goal after all this time. I had identified him as a weak link after the first season, so not surprised we've struggled. Just shows how everyone judges players differently.

I also transfer listed quite a few who were on longer deals, and managed to raise a bit of cash.

The other surprising thing is that everyone is still on part time contracts, even the winger Haverson, who was on 600/week! I think this explains in part our lack of progress, the lack of training time means players are not developing as they might. To that end, all first team players I've brought in are full time, as are the new back room staff. Hopefully we'll reap the benefits. I can also see the standard available to us is much higher now, presumably that season in the higher division raised our reputation.

So as you can tell have spent a fair bit of time sorting all that out, and have played a few friendlies. I arranged about 7 this time to make sure all the new faces gel quicker. Hopefully we can conolidate this season and get the Monkeys back on track to the top.

Originally posted by bermybhoy:

Oh, for whatever reason, the name has reverted to Solihull. Guess it no longer looks for the original database. If someone could email or post instructions on changing it, that would be appreciated.

Just sent it to you icon14.gif

Softies Pre Season Preview

Well I'm just about to take charge of my first softies game after a long pre season making wholesale changes to try and push for promotion from BSP.

Squad

I inherited a squad of 60 + players of which only 10 were on F/T contracts. In my first day I let 40+ players go, keeping 14 (Probably should have sold them as it cost me 300k but just needed to rid the club of alot of players surplus to requirements. Of the 14 I kept there were a few promising players who I think will get game time over the season. To name a few paddy byrne, jon williams, tim phillips and matt williams.

Unfortiunately this player, who dafuge signed left last year to exeter for 24k. He would have made a massive difference this year if he was here

Robert Murray

Signings

I've made signings to cover all positions and am relatively confident (famous last words) at hopefully making the playoffs this year. The most promising signing i've made is chris driver who will be my vice captain this year and hopefully boss the midfield.

Chris Driver

My whole squad is now 25 players and 4 youth players.

Pre-Season

I had a solid pre season winning my last game 7-1 albeit away to hitchin. Previously I had a draw and two defeats against football league opposition.

Only blip surrounding pre season came when i announced a new captain this week, forgetting that I had to assigned a new captain back in june when i let the last years leave the club. Now 5 or 6 of the squad are unhappy but hopefully nothin a few wins wont cure.

Media Prediction: 19th

My Prediction: 5th

My first game is home to Billericay so hopefully we can start well.

Well might as well set them high, can always lower them as the season progresses! just played the first 3 games with one win, draw and loss then my computer freezes icon_mad.gif

Have to go back to pre-season and replay from the hitchin friendly now.

Update

P9 W2 D6 L1

Solid start however struggling for goals up front, really need a target man however there doesn't seem to be one around who is available.

P.S Decided to shelve the Arsenal relationship, without asking my chairman then appointed Chester as the new parent club. Havent offered me anything but they are bottom of league two so probly need all their players right now anyway.

Won't get to play this till sat / sun, so will update then

Yeah, at the time, I sold Murray as I was after a few players to help us out instead of the one that would have been only able to do so much and Murray was the only viable player to get us any moeny at that time.

Peace

19th July 2011. The bruised body of Paul Wallace was ready to welcome another incumbant to control the hot seat of Ten Ton FC. The Scottish brogue of the visitor this time was familiar, having been around at the very beginning of his appointment to the job. Wallace hoped this time the change would bring more success than the last couple of years, not least because his contract is up at the end of the season.

No time was wasted in sorting out some of the club's deficiencies. A whole new back room team was brought in, on full time contracts to give the club some professionalism. Many of the underperforming players were sent packing on the first day. It's doubtful most will be paid to kick a ball again. By the end of the transfer window, no less than 49 players had been released or sold. Only one might be missed, the rather classy left winger, Jason Haverson. Signed in the glory days of the club's stint in the BSP, he was on a high wage but had stagnated as a player owing to his part time contract, playing in an underperforming team. A £24k up front fee (50% going to his former club) with another £50k to follow after 20 appearances, plus another 50% sell on to come, was decent compensation though.

18 players were identified as capable of improving the club. A few of them look like they are playing below their true level, notably the goalkeeper, Dave Hancox, left back Ishmael Reeves, right back Jonny Reed and centre backs Gary Gray and Tom Scannell, all of whom played at BSP level or above last season. Some creativity would come through 19 year old Scottish AM/F C James Dunn and Billy Bryant on the left wing. So far so good, but it left us looking (for the first time, I imagine) better at the back than up front. With the wage budget mostly gone, the scouts were charged with identifying potential loan signings, and really came up with the goods - striker Andy Adams from Stoke and a swiss army knife of a player for the right flank (d/wb, m/am r) - Simon Owen from Birmingham, both on year long loans. Another striker, James Turkington, came in from Wolves for 3 months. Owen is particularly exciting - this is way below his true level. He's out of contract at the end of the season - hopefully we're on his favourite club list by then.

With so many new players, 7 friendlies were arranged to let them get to know each other. I was keen to avoid these unpredictable 'grey' teams, with the risk of unexpected and demoralising results. Hence, the last few were against teams relegated from the BSN last season, with full squads to choose from. The results kept improving - starting with 3 defeats and a draw, culminating in 3 wins, the last of which was a 5-1 pasting of Gainsbrough that really got the squad in good spirits. Can we keep it up into the new campaign?

Predictions for the season

Media - 9th

My prediction - play-offs

Board expectations - respectable league position; FA Cup 1st round; Setanta Shield 3rd round; FA Trophy 2nd round.

My prediction - tough call. Any cup run is a bonus. Ideally to get to the FA Cup 3rd round and get a plum draw to boost the coffers.

Player of the year elect - Owen, he's a class act.

Top scorer - Turkington or Dunn. My old favourite Hawley is unlikely to be more than a super sub this time.

Top youngster - Dunn and Lawson, both AM/F C and will both get games in each of their favoure positions.

Originally posted by rlipscombe:

good luck bermybhoy - hopefully you're culling of the squad gives it the shake up it needs. any chance of seeing squad, and who you got rid of out of interest??

Thanks, will do when I post updates tonight or tomorrow. Will be quicker to list who's still there! Been very surprised at the quality of player willing to sign for us compared to what was there, quite a few of whom were already scouted and on the shortlist, so cheers for that. Going well so far icon14.gif

August/September 2011 report

What a start! With the squad on a high afer some friendly success, the opening day saw a respectable draw away to Chelmsford. This was was followed by beating Bromey at home and a fortunate 2-1 win against Weston-super-Mare. That was mostly thanks to their striker, who on being released on the break from a corner, inexplicably turned and punted it fully 50 yards backwards, into the path of a grateful James Dunn who was clean on the keeper and couldn't miss. Truly the kind of goal to send GQ into meltdown if it had been against the human player...

A couple of draws against strong oppostion followed - then it all clicked and we went on a fantastic run. Bognor were dispatched 2-0, followed by Thurrock, Bishop's Stortford and Margate - all convincingly by the same 3-0 scoreline.

The last two games of the month were trickier. A 1-1 draw away to freshly relegated Forest Green was an excellent result, but it took an injury time equaliser to maintain the unbeaten start. Then in game 11 the run came to an end. While not appropriate for a manager to point the finger of blame - this was all the fault of Tom Scannell, the CB sent off for booting someone after half an hour at home to a decent Billericay side. We rallied from 2-0 down with another late goal, but it wasn't enough to prevent a 2-1 reverse. Results to date in full

The league table shows we're still very much in the hunt. Hopefully the players can maintain the great form they have shown already, with fantastic average ratings thus far, and the strikers pretty free scoring. As this shows, the new assistant thinks we have a pretty decent bunch of players on our hands at last.

One concern is the board confidence. They are concerned about long-term progress and my hunch is that promotion might be the only thing to appease them. Fingers crossed...

Archived