Wallace v Roberts - the striking legends small to big club North v South face-off

Ten Ton FC - October 2011 report

On the back of 2 winless league games, the last thing we needed was a difficult away FA Cup trip to Nuneaton of the BSN. They scored early and left us chasing the game. We pulled one back, but they hit another two as we pressed forward, and in truth the 3-2 scoreline probably flattered us somewhat, so our FA Cup dream was over before it began. The Setanta Shield was no better. A 1st round clash with Bishop's Stortford ending tied at 2-2 and with truly awful penalty takers on the pitch (highest rating: 5), we inevitably lost the shootout.

At least we are free to concentrate on the league. It's been topsy turvy - a convincing 4-1 win at St Albans was followed by a home match against Newport, who share a play off berth with us. This game saw the introduction of an experimental, very attacking 4-4-2. It had instant results; we raced into a 3 goal lead inside 15 minutes. Unforunatly, we were pegged back by half time, but the boys dug deep and killed the game with 2 in the second half, a 5-3 win. I persisted with it away to Bath, also riding high, but this was over-ambitious, resulting in a 3-1 defeat. Next up were a poor looking Fisher side, who were brushed aside 4-1. At month end, we sit a promising 3rd, although Billericay has gone 5 ahead of us in the race for top spot.

Our defence looks a bit leaky, but this is certainly due to the attacking tactics used for most of the month. At the other end, Adams and Turkington have been doing well, with 14 between them and averages of 7.50 for the season. Simon Owen continues to be the star turn, setting up 9 goals in his 14 games and chipping in with 5 himself for good measure. Of our own players, Ishmael Reeves, the left back is averaging 7.38, in part due to his dead ball expertise which has seen 4 goals and 9 assists. The play off spot is still looking achievable...

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ten Ton FC - November/December 2011 report

Our free scoring form continued in the first two games of the month, a 3-1 away win against Basingstoke followed by a 4-2 drubbing of Hornchurch. However, our consistency isn't what it could be, a routine looking away fixture at Welling resulting in a poor 3-1 defeat.

After two weeks of inactivity, due to being knocked out the cups, we had another cup game, this time easily beating minnows Kidsgrove 2-0 in the FA Trophy. Maybe one cup will be kind to us. The month was rounded off against Havant & Waterlooville, who we thrashed 5-0, marking our first league clean sheet for 6 weeks.

December opened with a trip to Bedford, who were duly dispatched by a single goal. Unfortunately, the goalscorer, loan signing Turkington, went back to Wolves after the game, as they declined to renew his loan. He did well for us though, notching 7 in 14 starts, and clearly enjoyed it - the Monkeys are now on his list of favourite clubs...worth noting for when his contract expires, perhaps.

With results elsewhere, that win shot us to the top, where we've stayed. It was followed that with a tricky looking home match with Dorchester, who sit in the play off spaces, but they were comfortably beaten, 2-0. The FA Trophy then took us away to BSN opponents again, this time Cambridge City. The outcome, though, couldn't be more different...the team played some great stuff, banging away 6 goals. The free scoring wasn't about to stop, the boxing day fixture with Chelmsford game the Monkeys growing group of fans a perfect Christmas present in the form of a 5-1 thrashing.

That run brought another milestone, Paul Wallace's first manager of the month award (remarkerable considering aaberdeenn previously claimed manager of the year for Wallace). Things are looking very good right now.

Southern Softies - Mid-Season review

P25 W10 D10 L5 GF 45 GA 39

Position 9th

Overall I'm reasonably happy with the way the team is progressing and we are now on a good winning streak on home turf. Our problems lie away from home where we are drawing to many game to lower opposition and getting outclassed by play off rivals. That said we are only 5 points off the play offs with a game in hand so my prediction of 5th is still attainable although a good runb is required.

As predicted my best player is Chris Driver who has set up the majority of my goalsd and chipped in with a couple. The problem is when he is not available my team struggles as I don't have another player capable of acting as the playmaker. Up front my strikers have started scoring more freely now, i predominantly rotate between 4 strikers at the moment depending on their form. Jermaine Blackburn is the most prolific and starts most games with either Ryan Barker , Andy Talbot or Tim Phillips partnering him.

At the back my two centre backs are either very good or go missing. Lee Foster has been the better of the two but Paddy Byrne has also played well so far. I've signed a promising cb Simon Holgate who is definitely ready to start and will get his chance in the new year.

My Cup runs are over with the exception of the setanta shield after losing in a replay to aldershot in the FA trophy and getting beat by league one burnley in the 1st round of the FA cup.

Hopefully have the season finished by late tonight or tommorow for whoever is next in line.

Ten Ton FC - January.February 2012 report

The new year began as the old one ended, with a 4-0 hammering of Weston-super-mare. A 2-2 draw with Bromey proved a small blip, as we went to to hammer Bognor Regis, also 4-0. Next up was the next FA Trophy tie, this time away to BSP opposition in the form of struggling King's Lynn.

My theory right now is that we are way too good for this division, and that this give us an indication of how true that held. With our all-out attacking formation employed, we ran out very comfortatble winners, 3-0, away from home. They will most likely get relegated, but it looks good for next season, regardless of which division we're in.

That was followed by a rare defeat though, by a goal to nil against Lewes. A pick-me-up was required, and it came in familiar form. James Turkington, who'd been on loan earlier in the season, was once more listed for loan by Wolves. With the Monkeys a favourite club, he didn't think twice about signing up for another 3 months. He didn't mess about, showing his credential with a brace away to Braintree. Thurrock, sure to go down, were also sent packing by the same scoreline.

February saw the wheels come off our promising looking FA Trophy campaign. Dorchester, flying high alongside Ten Ton in the BSS, employ a tricky 4-4-2 diamond. For once, we snubbed out the threat of their AMC, but unfortunately ignored their centre forward, who helped himself to a hattirck. Despite that, it might have went either way and we were unlucky to go down 4-3.

The team brushed aside the disappointment to record successive wins by our fabourite score, 3-0. It set up our biggest game of the season, a true 6 poniter against Forest Green. They sat 3 points behind us, in second. Sadly for once, out attack mis-fired completely, and we went down meekly to a 1-0 reverse, to allow them level on points. The malaise continued when St Albans pitched and held us to a no scoring draw. Even our irrepressible captain, left back Ishmael Reeves, was off form, missing a penalty that would have kept us ahead on goal difference at the top.

The form has tailed off slightly, but we rewmain in a strong position. As long as we don'd drop any more stupid points, we're well placed for promotion. Failoing that, a play off spot is virtually guaranteed. Aside from that, it's been noted that clubs are taking a lot of interest in our players...a few of the back ups may well be sold off to capitalise while we can...

League table Results

Originally posted by Robert_296:

Doing well there Bermy icon14.gif

Cheers...been going better than expected. Would like us to win the next one against Billericay, as right now it seems we always drop points to the teams around us, but easily beat the rest.

Apologies for the mess of the typing above.

I decided to cancel the link with arsenal. My chairman replaced them with chester although i haven't been sent any players yet. They are struggling in league two so doubt they would help much anyway.

Currently still 9th with 13 games to go. 2 points off the playoffs with a game still in hand. Its getting very tight and my gk is now out for a month and i have very poor cover, just got stuffed 5-2 away to the leaders stockport. Could go either way but hoping i can sneak into the playoffs.

7 games to go and after peaking at 3rd after 3 striaght wins, 1 point from the last 9 available (all away) has left me sitting in 6th 2 points off 5th. 5 of the 7 games left are at home although injuries are hitting my small squad and key players have lost form.

Hang in there...sounds like you might just make it. How does the loan market look for giving the squad a wee boost?

Breaking news for the Monkeys...sold a reserve left back for 60k + sell on clause to a non-league team icon_eek.gif Am I alone in finding some of these sides have money to burn?

Originally posted by bermybhoy:

Transfers

Transfer in the year were like this: Transfers 1 Transfers 2. Rlipscombe hope I didn't get rid of too many of your favourites.

tbh, i didn't really have any favourites... they were merely players to keep us in the division. didn't really have any great attachemnts.

keep up the good work though - you've really turned the club around. icon14.gif

loan market has finished. Its all gone horribly wrong for the softies, 2 points in 15 has left us 4 points off the play offs with 5 games remaining. My team has lost the plot, missed penalties, bad back passes and sending offs right at the wrong time of the season. still a slim hope but i think the play offs are out of reach now.

Away to wrexham and if i dont win that i'm out of it.

Southern Softies End of Season Review 2010 / 2011

Stats

Prediction: 5th

Final Position: 11th

Top Scorer: Blackburn - 25

Top Rated: Talbot 7.33 (14 starts 10 goals)

Star Player: Chris Driver (43 starts 15 assists 4 goals)

Initial Squad Size: 65+

Final Squad Size: 31 (all 3 teams - 8 players contract are up in summer plus all the backroom staff)

*Whoever takes over please keep the squad at a respectable number i.e less than 40

Finances: 409k

Season profit: 240k

Wage Bill: 5.7 k (1k under wage limit)

Board Confidence: Absolutely Delighted

Fan Confidence: Dissapointed over form of players and my signings (understandable)

Must be Released or Sold: Vaughan, Casey, M Williams (Was my captain but performances were woeful for 2nd half of season despite reasonable stats)

Well in the end the play offs proved out of reach with one of the worst run ins I have ever been involved with on the game. After a great run of form through feb and march I was in 3rd and looking good for at shot at going up. Unfortunely for me my side rested on their laurels and put in some shocking displays. This resulted in only 5 points from my last 10 games!!

I would love to blame this on injuries or suspensions but apart from one of my strikers talbot and a centre back my full squad was available and just didnt perform. I tried to change my tactics but after it became clear I wasnt going to make the playoffs I tried to experiment to see if a new tactic would work.

Run In

Final Table

Squad

Overall they performed very well but when it mattered they bottled it!! Whoever takes over will have basis for a good season next year and if you can add a new centre back to partner Foster and a holding midfielder to free our best player Driver this could help the side. Without a dm I had to play the attacking Driver as a holding midfielder as if he didnt do this my midfield was totally over run. A new goalkeeper is a must as neither beresford or matthews was good enough at this level and cost me numerous games in which goals should have been saved.

Upfront my biggest mistake was leaving Talbot in the reserves until after xmas as i forgot I had bought him and put him in reserves as he was injured! When he joined blackburn upfront we scored freely except in the run in when talbot was injured. Blackburn netted 23 league goals (25 overall) and talbot 10 goals in 14 starts.

Best Players

Blackburn

Driver

Tactics

I played a 4-3-1-2 at home and a 4-1-3-2 away against the top sides.

My preferred X1 (Bold players were at the club before I took over)

Matthews

Goodridge Byrne Foster M.Williams

Barrett Driver J.Williams

Best

Blackburn Talbot

I will upload the save game later, this will be saved from the weekend after my final game as i think its better for the manager coming in to have as much time to plan ahead (also i would only holiday it which is isnt great for the guy coming in)

Finally, put me down for another season with the softies.

Good luck to whoever takes over the reigns!!

Really unlucky mate. Sounds like a horrible run in. Not sure if it's just me the links won't work for though?

I believe Poopypants is due up next for the Softies, if he wouldn't mind confirming he's still interested and will ahve time to do a season. Robert is next after him.

Similarly, is Rideleys still up for going next for the Monkeys? I should be done Tuesday or Weds at latest.

Been following this with great interest thus far; was wondering if I could put my name down provisionally for a season later on, preferablly the first season in the championship or somewhere around there.

I tend to be better at managing struggling teams in higher leagues, I'm carp at lower league management - but would love to have a stab, hence this proposal.

If this is okay, I would prefer to manage the Monkeys, as I followed Wallace's career too.

Let me know icon14.gif

Originally posted by GazTheDoood:

Been following this with great interest thus far; was wondering if I could put my name down provisionally for a season later on, preferablly the first season in the championship or somewhere around there.

I tend to be better at managing struggling teams in higher leagues, I'm carp at lower league management - but would love to have a stab, hence this proposal.

If this is okay, I would prefer to manage the Monkeys, as I followed Wallace's career too.

Let me know icon14.gif

Glad to hear there's others taking an interest in what's been happening so far! As you can probably see, there's no guarantees when, or if, we'll get as far as the championship. I could put you down for season 50 maybe? icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by bermybhoy:

Really unlucky mate. Sounds like a horrible run in. Not sure if it's just me the links won't work for though?

I believe Poopypants is due up next for the Softies, if he wouldn't mind confirming he's still interested and will ahve time to do a season. Robert is next after him.

Similarly, is Rideleys still up for going next for the Monkeys? I should be done Tuesday or Weds at latest.

Cheers, the links seem ok on my computer anyone else struggling with them?

Glad to hear there's others taking an interest in what's been happening so far! As you can probably see, there's no guarantees when, or if, we'll get as far as the championship. I could put you down for season 50 maybe?

Sounds good icon_biggrin.gif

Haha, seriously, I imagine the championship will be reached about season 10-20, maybe...

So, yeah, just put me on a provisional list if possible or something, if not, i'll keep watching this space.

Ten Ton FC - March/April 2012 report

I predicted the match with Billericay would be important, and so it has turned out. Coming from a goal behind to lead 2-1 after 52 minutes, it looked like we would hold on for a vital 3 points. Heartbreak was to come though, in the form of an injury time equaliser. Frustratingly, yet again, we had failed to beat one of our promotion rivals.

That made it 3 games without a win, but we got back on track with a 3-2 win away to Newport, followed by a 3-0 win against Bath, both good results against 2 sides sniffing around the play off spots. Next, we travelled to Fisher to ease to an 4-0 win. Basingstoke then visited Solihull. The Monekys showed unusual weakness, throwing away a 2 goal lead, being pegged back to a draw. The dropped points left us in serious danger of losing sight of league leaders Forest Green, who had notched up a remarkable 12th successive win; a run which of course, featured that 1-0 success over Ten Ton.

6 points behind with 5 left, it wasn't looking good. On top of this, injuries began to mount: Turkington, Owen and the keeper Hancox, three of our most important players.

In spite of those losses, we have embarked on a winning streak near the end of the season, knocking 3 goals past Hornchurch, Havant, Bedford and Welling. Of course, the important thing is what happens to Forest Green. They have been showing the strain, drawing 2 of those games. Some mind games might be in order.

All that means that, heading into the final game, the table looks like this. Ten Ton FC are two points behind, with far superior goal difference. A win against Dorchester, who have been a thorn in our side this season, coupled with a defeat or draw for Forest Green against Basingstoke, will see us promoted. Anything less and we have to settle for the playoffs. Will it happen?

Wallace to remain at Ten Ton FC!

Contrary to media speculation, Paul Wallace and Ten Ton FC are delighted to announce that Wallace has signed a new, 3 year, £220 per week contract. The board has decided that, despite the club's promotion prospects remaining unresolved, Wallace has done enough to earn another chance at leading the club to glory.

In an even bigger boost to the club, James Turkington, whose loan deal had expired, has recovered from injury and agreed to return to the club for a third loan spell to help the promotion cause.

Ten Ton League run-in

Dorchester are always difficult opponents, and this was no different. Ten Ton raced into a 1-0 lead in just 5 minutes, Andy Adams knocking it home. Dorchester fought back though, scoring with their first - then second - shots in the game. 2-1 down at half time, while Forest Green were two up. At this stage, the dream was over. Basingstoke pulled one back just after half time against Forest Green. But, with time running out and no more goals in Dorchester or Basingstoke, Ten Ton began to lose their discipline, with stand in right back Hamilton sent off, just our second red card of the season. A final goal in the last minute for Dorchester was largely academic.

So the promising season ended in some disappointment.

The play offs gave us a tie against Newport, who'd secured 5th spot on the last day.

In the first leg, Turkington, back and fully fit, banged away two goals in the first half hour to give us a comfortable lead. Then things started to go wrong - the defence collapsed, and Newport somehow found themselves 4-2 ahead. With time running out to salvage our season, young defensive midfielder McDonald picked up a loose ball from a corner, and smashed it home from 30 yards. Despite continuing to press, it finished 4-3. Disappointing, but at least the record, near capacity crowd got some entertainment. Balanced on a knife edge...

The second leg was an entirely different affair. Our form finally returned, at the perfect time. Turkington with two, a Reeves penalty and Dunn with goals either side of half time meant the Monkeys were 5-0 up by the 50th minute, and there was no way back for Newport. One game from promotion!

Play off semis scores:

Ten Ton FC 8-4 Newport

Billericay 4-3 Dorchester

Well thankfully we will avoid Dorchester in the final. Billericay won't be any easier though - in 5 meetings, we have never won...is it about to change?

Mon the Monkeys!

Play off final - Ten Ton FC v Billericay

Ten Ton went into the match as 13-8 outsiders. The monkeys started brightly. After just 7 minutes, Turkington picked the ball up outside the box, spun his man, and banged home from twelve yards. 1-0 Ten Ton!

Just 4 minutes later though, the tie was back level. Then. after 38 minutes, disaster for Ten Ton - Steve Hughes left unmarked a the back post to notch his second of the game. Billericay were in the ascendancy and deserved their lead.

Just four minutes later though, Dunn threaded it through perfectly for Turkington. From the edge of the box, he rifled it past the keeper 2-2, game on!

The second half was more subdued, after I switched to our defensive formation, but remained even. Time was running out and it looked like both sides had settled for extra time. With just five minutes left, Billericay pressed forward. Reeves stepped in to clear the ball to the half way line. Turkington picked it up and this time he returned the compliment from the first half by playing a perfect ball between the centre backs to Dunn. 40 yards out, there was plenty to do. He carried it to the edge of the box, drew the keeper and I'll let the commentary do the talking!

Ten Ton are going up!

Ten Ton FC season review 2011-12

After a season on major changes, Ten Ton made it back to the Blue Square Premier. Our points total of 92 is actually 12 more than it took to win the division in 2009, so we were unlucky not to go straight up. Final league table. Year end results.

Our top players were the three loan signings, Adams and Turkington up front and Owen on the right wing. If they can be brought back next season, they will definitely also do a job in the BSP.

Of our own players, Reeves is the star turn. Captain and a dead ball expert, he notched an impressive 16 goals and 21 assists in 47 games from the left back position. Star youngster was James Dunn, who banged away 22 goals, including the one that took us up. Championship Wolves have been interested - he is quite the prospect. In terms of weak links - there really aren't that many. All the top players are under contract for at least another year and I think, good enough for the BSP. A few others are out of contract, the new manager should check them out and see what he makes of them.

With our profile high, I managed to sell another 4 players for a combined £155k, with sell on clauses, none of whom was vital to the first team. With attendances at a record high of over 1200, we turned a profit of £263k, and have a healthy balance of £237k - with luck the board will loosen the purse strings to allow some more signings to be made.

Overall then I think it looks pretty promising for next year. The first team squad is strong and should be able to at least survive, but maybe lacks a bit of depth. One piece of advice to the next person - we are still part time, please make sure any new contracts are negotiated as full time (it defaults to part time), it has made a big difference this year.

If anyone's interested, after 5 years of being controlled by 5 different people, Wallace's profile looks like this.

Save game is right here. Good luck to Ridleys in the BSP

Originally posted by Robert_296:

Saw Ridleys say cngrats \o/ so it kind of gave it away icon_frown.gif What happens if PoopyPants doesn't show up in here in the next few days?

That will teach that the secret is to click on the last page and scroll down, not click on the last comment icon_wink.gif

I think if he doesn't claim it by Wednesday you can go right ahead Robert, and he can be fitted in later if still interested. We havea bit of momentum going, would be good to keep it up.

Originally posted by ridleys:

So what do I need to do before I start?

Hmmm...just download the save and get cracking I guess. If Nep pops in he can maybe email you instructions on changing the team name (I don't have access to the email account I have it on).

Think I've covered what I think of the players...there's been a lot of scouting done already, might be worth checking out the scout reports and shortlists to see who is coming out of contract that might be interested in signing. Don't think there's too many of our own players coming out of contract.

In terms of tactics I used the 4-4-2 attacking mostly and 4-4-2 defensive, entirely up to you how you play it of course.

And don't forget about the full time thing!

Good luck with it.

Archived