Wallace v Roberts - the striking legends small to big club North v South face-off

Not a great start to life in the BSP....

After 5 games, Ten Ton FC find themselves in a lowly 22nd place in the Division.

Results.

<pre class="ip-ubbcode-code-pre">

Northwich 3 : 0 Ten Ton

Ten Ton 0 : 1 Torquay

Ten Ton 2 : 0 Dag & Red

Woking 4 : 2 Ten Ton

Ten Ton 1 : 2 Cambridge</pre>

Although it's been an arguably difficult start, with a "big teams" in the league coming thick and fast, I would have liked a better start. Just the 1 win racked up among 4 defeats, and a relegation battle is looming already.

Of the 4 defeats, Ten Ton were only really outclassed in 1 game, the opener v Northwich. Torquay snatched a winner deep into the second half, and only being on the wrong end of the goal fest at woking cost defeat, where the scoreline could easily have been the reverse of what it was. The game against cambridge was unlucky, going 2-0 down, scoring early in the second half, and having 2 disallowed goals in the final 15 minutes, ultimately costing Ten Ton the points.

A bit of an easier time now, and hopefully will start getting some points on the board.

Ten Ton Scorers

Jason Haverson - Games 5, Goals 2

Ben Connolly - Games 5, Goals 2

Marc Nugent - Games 3, Goals 1</pre>

Surrounding League Table.

Pos Team P W D L Pts

20th Southport 5 1 1 3 4

21st Droylsden 5 1 0 4 3

22nd TEN TON FC 5 1 0 4 3

23rd Halifax 5 0 2 3 2

24th Burton 5 0 0 5 0

</pre>

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well if anyone stumbles across this and wants a go taking control of the Monkeys or the Softies for a season, let us know.

So far the sign up and progress made looks like this:

Northern Monkeys

Season 1. Bermybhoy - BSN - 7th

Season 2. aaberdeenn - BSS(!) - in progress, lookin' good

3. NepentheZ

4. minisav

5. Gundo

6. rlipscombe

Southern Softies:

Season 1. Robert296 - BSS - promoted!

Season 2. Dafuge - BSN - season kicking off soon

3. HunterKiller

7. elf_30

No problem iacovone, Dafuge has already offered to play the second season, maybe starting Sunday.

Is it alright if I add my name to the list and have a go managing the southern softies for a year after hunterkiller or elf_30?

Great challenge, im eager to return to LLM after my current game so this could be the perfect taster.

Its just going from bad to worse for Ten Ton. icon_frown.gif

5 more league games, 4 more defeats, and only 1 point. I've been playing well, but every single game, they seem to be nicking late goals, or goals that "are dubious". icon_mad.gif

I'm in the relegation zone, but only 3 points from safety after 10 games. Lets hope the next short update will have a win in it.!

Halfway stage for Ten Ton

After a new soul entered the body of Paul Wallace, Ten Ton had high hopes of BSP survival. It's not exactly going to plan.

After 10 games, the Northern Monkey's had only 4 points, and only 1 win to their name.

13 games later, at the half way stage, they've got 5 wins under their belt, and 17 points, but find themselves sat 21st in the table, albeit only on goal difference. At this stage, survival looks a tough bet, but we will try our hardest.!

Bottom of the pile....

Pos Team P W D L Pnts

19th Northwich 23 6 3 14 21

20th Sutton Utd 23 3 8 12 17

21st TEN TON FC 23 5 2 16 17

22nd Halifax 23 4 5 14 17

23rd Altrincham 23 2 2 19 8

</pre>

Now for something a little embaressing. Burton Albion who are sat rock bottom of the league, with only 8 points, have 1 win. That win, was an emphatic 3-0 victory over Ten Ton FC. icon_frown.gif

Cups..

Still in all the cups so far..

F.A Cup 2nd Round - v York (L2)(H)

Setanta Sheild - Yet to enter.

F.A Trophy - 1st Round v Gateshead

Originally posted by HunterKiller:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

\o/ icon_razz.gif only joking

I concur icon_biggrin.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oi! Less gloating. Nep will keep us up, I have faith.

Will you all just hurry up, lol, getting impatient for my turn, lol.

This is going quite well, or so it seems. I am interested to see if my home grown tactic that works for most of the teams I do for myself will be good for this, should be fun though.

Peace

Originally posted by Robert_296:

Dafuge will be quick I think, and get us promoted unlike the rubbish Monkeys icon_razz.gif, not sure about the other two though.

I should be quick, I plan on starting tomorrow and finishing before the weekend. Not too sure about the promotion though.

Originally posted by minisav:

Cut me out from this for th next 3 weeks. 3rd year exams starting so no FM time I don't think. Sorry guys icon_frown.gif

Where the dedication? icon_eek.gif

No problem, very sensible. No idea how far we'll have got by then, so just say when you're free again and you can be added back to the list. If Gundo pops in, you're next after Nep if that's ok? Also, elf_30, I assume you're happy to be moved up the softies list.

Northern Monkeys

Season 1. Bermybhoy - BSN - 7th

Season 2. aaberdeenn - BSS - 1st - promoted!

Season 3. NepentheZ - BSP - mid season - relegation battle

4. Gundo

5. rlipscombe

Southern Softies

Season 1. Robert296 - BSS - promoted!

Season 2. Dafuge - BSN - season kicking off soon

3. HunterKiller

4. elf_30

5. Spc1485

10 Games to go for Ten Ton FC

Things are still bleak. We haven't been out of the relegation zone since match day 24. And only twice have we been out since match day 14. On the down side, Our best player Haveron gets injured almost once a month. Our team doesn't want to play well no matter what I try, and after the recent draw to rock bottom club Altrincham, at Ten Tons ground, things look very, very bad.

On a positive note, We have a game in hand over the team above us, and they are only 1 point ahead. 18th place is also only 1 point ahead, although on same games played. The draw v Altrincham was such a disappointment, because had we won it, (and we really really should have), we would be occupying the 18th place in the league.

With 10 games to go, the clubs future in the division is hanging in the balance. A good run from the last ten games and we are safe, (And by good run, I mean 3 or 4 wins out of 10 games.). A bad run, and we are down. For what seemed like an eternity, we were playing top of the table team, match after match, which is why we only have 8 wins in 36 games.

The goals have been very hard to come by this season, our top scorers are the AMLs, Nugent on 11, and Haveron on 9. Nugent only plays when Haveron is injured, just to further solidify how many injuries he has had. Ben Connely also has 9 goals, and our top scoring Striker is Kevin Hawley on 8.

Problem Areas

I don't think its my tactics. I spend a lot of time on tactics, so for it to be that would make me think twice about how I look at FM08. I personally feel the team is let down by the lack of quality in defense. It's my own fault, as I should have spotted this way before we got into this kind of trouble, and done something about it.

10 Games to go. 10 wins is what I'm aiming for.

Yeah, I would not be against a move up, put me in where you need me coach, I wont let the tema down.

One other question, has everyone been using LLM rules or does it matter when you take over?

This is gonna be fun, lol.

Peace

Still plenty of points to play for, I'm sure the Monkeys can do it. Is there a possibility of bringing in defensive reinforcements? Sounds like they couldn't do any worse than what's there.

I would own up breaching LLM rules by using the search screen to identify targets for the scouts to look at. Other than that I think our chaps have followed them strictly. Up to the other Softies really.

5 Games to go....

5 Games to go, and we are still in a very precarious situation. The last 5 games spanned out to 1 Win, 1 Draw and 3 Losses. The win was unexpected too, beating 3rd Placed Forest Green 2-0, and generally looking good as a team.

With 5 Left, although still in danger, we are no longer in the relegation zone \o/

2 points clear of Northwich.

Northwich have to play 3 teams in the Play-Off places or higher, and Ten Ton only have 1 more top half team to play, so it's looking like we may just pull this off (Fingers crossed).

3 Games to go.....

A defeat and a draw in the last 2 see Ten Ton still out of the relegation spots, occupying 20th, on 34 points. 21st AND 22nd place both have 32 points each, so with 3 games left, either team could still go down.

Ten Ton Fixtures

Aldershot - 6th

Burton - 23rd

Southport - 18th

Northwich Fixtures

Southport - 18th

Dag & Redbridge - 7th

Torquay - 3rd

Sutton Utd Fixtures

Halifax - 17th

Rushden - 10th

Wrexham - 9th

As you can see here, I have the easiest (Oh the irony) run in, playing only 1 team higher than 18th. It looks like curtains for Northwich, who's only saving grace looks like they MAY get a win v Southport, that could help them survive. Only time will tell....

2 Games to go.....

Just as I had expected, Northwich did get something v Southport. Although it was only a draw, I was actually a bit disappointed after Northwich got a red card on 69 minutes, I was hoping that Southport could nick a late goal.

Elsewhere, Sutton lost 2-0 to halifax, and TEN TON took a 2-0 defeat to aldershot.

In all honesty, Northwich are in trouble, considering who they have left to play, and Ten Ten are 2 clear of Sutton, who both have every chance of taking points from both games left.

1 Game to go....

Ten Ton FC secure a MASSIVE win v Burton Albion, winning 2-1 on the day, but dominating the game. 21st place Northwich also got a win, shocking the division beating now 8th place Dag&Red by 4 goals to 2, despite Daggers taking a 2-0 lead early on in the game. Suttons fate was sealed, after a 2-1 defeat to Rushden, and Ten Tons victory over Burton also relegated them.

With 1 game left, Northwich are at home to 2nd place Torquay, and Ten Ton are away to 18th placed southport.

With it hanging in the balance, even a loss for Ten Ton could see them survive, in the hope, and expectation that Torquay do the business.

HALFTIME

Halftime in the final game of the season, and it couldn't be more tense.

Southport 0 - 1 Ten Ton FC

Northwich 1 - 0 Torquay (Goddard S/O 39)

So there you have it. Northwich look like they may actually shock everyone, by beating two of the top teams in the division, after Torquay go a man down, but if Ten Ton FC can hold on to the precious 1-0 lead against Southport, all the Northwich hard work will be for nothing.

75 minutes gone.....

Northwich are still holding on to a 1-0 win v Torquay, but Southport snatch an equalizer v Ten Ton, leaving the clubs future in the league, in the balance. Only a Torquay goal, or a winner can save them from the drop now, and with only 15 minutes left, it doesn't look promising.......

Game Over.

Northwich run out 1-0 winners, and only a 1-1 draw for Ten Ton FC see's them RELEGATED back into the Blue Square North/South divisions. icon_frown.gif

An ultimately long, hard season, which wasn't helped by constant injuries, and lack of quality within the squad.

Full update shortly.

icon_frown.gif

unlucky Nep. btw Dafuge you MUST try and loan back Olly Kenney, he scored 22 goals in 13 games at the end of my season and won us the league.

Cheers Rob. thats the hardest season of FM08 I've ever had to play, for many reasons.

unlucky Nep. btw Dafuge you MUST try and loan back Olly Kenney, he scored 22 goals in 13 games at the end of my season and won us the league.

Is that the same Olly Kenney that works for SI?

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert_296:

Is that the same Olly Kenney that works for SI? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can't be. Its fake players. (Unless they are also in the game with that option ticked)

Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Can't be. Its fake players. (Unless they are also in the game with that option ticked) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems like quite a coincidence, that can't be that common a name.

Originally posted by dafuge:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NepentheZ:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dafuge:

Can't be. Its fake players. (Unless they are also in the game with that option ticked) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Seems like quite a coincidence, that can't be that common a name. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He was an Arsenal reserve and he was on £40K a week but he still came lol

End of Season

So. Not a great season from me. A deeply hurtful relegation, (My first ever relegation over any series of CM/FM) - an in general, a poor performance from the team as a whole, and me as a manager.

Confidence

Although throughout the campaign it was always very good, the Relegation left the board wondering what the purpose of the club was. I excelled in all the Cup competitions, even making it to the third round of the F.A Cup.

Finances

Were not left in a healthy state when I took over, but being in a higher league meant bigger gates, and the cup runs certainly boosted the Coffers. In the end, I made over £150k profit, and hopefully stabilized the club financially.

Team Info Screen

League

well. Not too great. I can remember the game when I felt like relegation was probable too. Losing to Burton mid-season, despite them only having 1 win to their name at the time. Sweet revenge in the return match, taking home the three points, but ultimately, it was a poor season. I never found the forwards I wanted, the wingers I needed, or the defenders I looked for. The loan signing was a flop, and my top scorers were the midfielders.

Team

This is where it started and ended for me. I inherited a team not worthy of the division, and made it worse. I couldn't find any young hopefuls, or any golden oldies. The team in itself lacked experience, and for the first time ever, my Youth Policy failed me. I shouldn't have been so selfish, trying to get the youngsters to be at the club for years, instead I should have gone for a solid team, with defensive qualities and a proven scorer in that division. The glory trail ended in the signing department for me thick and fast.

Season Summary

Gundo, I've left you with a good squad for the lower division. I signed a new scout, and a few more coaches too, (which are important to me), And Haverson is a great, great midfielder. Steve Sheaphard, the right attacking midfielder is still only 16, but is easily one of the best players at the club. I urge you to hang on to him.

Ultimately, I'm sorry to Aab, for destroying his Promotion winning team, and I'm sorry to Gundo, for putting pressure on him to bounce back from a relegation. Theres a lot of crap in the team, that you are welcome to throw out. I hope the club is repairable for you.

I have to admit though, I was extremely confident taking over, and despite the media, really felt like Mid-Table was a safe achievement for this team, largely due to my managerial skills. As the season wore on, the thing that kept banging into my head was "This isn't my team". that may seem odd, but for me, I play this game massively different to any other player I know at the start of the game, in terms of behind the scenes stuff. I spend a lot of time on tactics, staff, players etc etc. But with only 1 season to show my skills, I tried too much too fast. I didn't even scout 5% of the players for Ten Ton that I usually do per season with any other team I take on, and I didn't spend much time on staffing situations either. This was mainly because I felt guilt for rubbing out someone elses work, but also because I thought I was just.... "good enough". I thought my tactical nous would see me through, even if I had a bad team, but gone are the day's where I can take a young 16 year old nobody to 1000 club goals.

On a plus side from this, its made me eager to start Dafuge's Challenge this year, to see if its FM08 thats too hard, or if I just had a bad season. We all know the N. Irish leagues are very easy, so it really will be a challenge of my managerial skills.

Thanks for my season, I (sort of) look forward to the next one, when hopefully the club have been guided in the right direction, before I come in and potentially ruin it all again.!

Gundo

I'll upload the .fm file now. Also, should you wish to know how to change the "Solihull Moors" name again to Ten Ton FC, let me know, and I'll E-Mail you how. (Thanks again Daf.)

Cheers Nep. icon14.gif

It's going to take me a good week to get through this one season I reckon, but seems as the Northern guys are slightly running ahead of the Southern chaps shouldn't be a problem I suppose.

'Mon the Monkeys. icon_biggrin.gif

Nep, send me that email if you would thanks. icon14.gif

Just started my season, all I've done so far is put into place all my tactics and training regimes and looked for a couple of new coaches.

I've been put in the difficult position of being the newly promoted club, so I'm not expecting to win the league, instead I am hoping to put into a position to be stronger next season. I'll probably look for a few promising looking youngsters and hold on to the players already at the club.

The first thing that has struck me is that Robert_296 liked to use basic central midfielders whereas I like to use a DMC and AMC in a diamond formation, looks like I'll need to dip into the transfer market.

There will probably be a lot of updates over the next few days as I complete my season.

Archived