GCB's Premier Sign Up - Sponsored By SPORTS.tv!

SportsTVLogo.jpg

HazelHarrison.png

A host of big name signings are set to make their debuts this afternoon and for a change, the main focus of attention will be on the line up of the Blues rather than the Reds here. However, we start with the home side.

LiverpoolH.png

LIVERPOOL

After the departure of Pepe Reina, injury to Gigi Buffon - Buffon is out for up to 5 months we hear – and the suspension of Brad Jones, new Reds boss John Barnes is forced to start with French keeper, Charles Itandje, who has yet to make an appearance in the Premier League. Curtis Davies starts alongside Jamie Carragher, Thomas Muller and Diego start in midfield and Fernando Torres has a partner in attack – David N’Gog.

ITANDJE

JOHNSON

DAVIES

CARRAGHER

AURELIO

LUCAS

MULLER

GERRARD

DIEGO

TORRES

N’GOG

SUBS: Hansen, Ebanks-Blake, Babel, Skrtel, Kuyt, Cole, Agger

EvertonH.png

EVERTON

Not for a long while have Everton fans looked forward to a team line-up as much as today’s here at Anfield as they see a number of debuts handed to their new stars. All of their big three are included for their Toffee’s debut: Nemanja Vidic at the back, Cristiano Ronaldo starts from the right and Karim Benzema up front. Steven Pienaar starts just behind Benzema in a 4-4-1-1 formation that retains the core of the Everton side that have been successful recently under David Moyes. Harry Redknapp keeps faith with Phil Neville despite the England man playing poorly at Wembley in midweek and Tim Howard starts in goal. New signings Gary Taylor-Fletcher and Alex Song miss out through injuries.

HOWARD

HIBBERT

VIDIC

JAGIELKA

BAINES

RONALDO

NEVILLE

FELLAINI

ARTETA

PIENAAR

BENZEMA

SUBS: Mucha, Distin, Lescott, Bilyaletdinov, Zamora, Rodwell, Duffy

It promises to be a very interesting game here at Anfield as Everton seek their first win at Liverpool since 1999. Looking at their line up, they could have a big chance here today. Back to you, Sidney.

• Replies 563
  • Created
  • Last Reply

SportsTVLogo.jpg

Aug14-PL-LvE.jpg

FIRST HALF

7 mins:

The first meaningful action of the match sees Marouane Fellaini’s challenge on Steven Gerrard end the England midfielder’s afternoon after just 7 minutes. Gerrard is replaced by Joe Cole who makes his Liverpool debut.

18 mins:

Diego has the ball for Liverpool here just inside the Everton half and he advances forward. Ooh, that looks a nasty challenge from Nemanja Vidic ... RED CARD produced by Phil Dowd! Nemanja Vidic is sent off for a two-footed lunge on Diego and that will mean Everton will go down to ten men here.

26 mins:

Fabio Aurelio down the left for Liverpool. Thomas Muller takes over, swivels and slides the ball through towards David N’Gog, through on goal, N’Gog shoots ... tipped away by Tim Howard!

29 mins:

Corner for Liverpool from the right, scrambled away by Everton. Here is Torres, edge of the area, turns and shoots just wide of the post. Good effort from the World Cup winner.

30 mins:

N’Gog combines well with Diego and sets the midfielder through the heart of the Blues’ defence. Diego slides it to Howard’s left but the American keeper pushes it wide for another corner.

36 mins:

Glen Johnson finds Joe Cole in the centre circle who advances forward before playing a wonderful ball through the Everton defence to Diego in the box. However, good defending from Jagielka and goalkeeping from Howard mean that he cannot get a shot on target again.

Everton defend well for the remainder of the half and see out 3 minutes injury time to go in level at half time despite the early sending off for Vidic.

HALF TIME

Liverpool 0-0 Everton

(Vidic sent off)

It could be a long, hard afternoon for the Toffees as they seek to hold onto a result here after the red card to Nemanja Vidic. However, Liverpool will need to be more creative if they are to break down this stubborn Everton defence and they will have to be extremely careful: the danger of Ronaldo and Benzema on the break means that Everton always have a chance of sneaking a goal.

SportsTVLogo.jpg

Aug14-PL-LvE.jpg

SECOND HALF

HALF TIME

Liverpool 0-0 Everton

(Vidic sent off)

Joleon Lescott comes on for Tony Hibbert at half time as Everton switch Neville to right back and play 4-4-1 for the start of the second half. Six minutes later, Rodwell replaces Ronaldo in a puzzling substitution from Harry Redknapp. Liverpool make a strange change as well as Agger replaces N’Gog and the game gets scrappier and scrappier – perfect for Everton!

65 mins:

Finally, Liverpool threaten a goal. After neat build up between Torres, Cole and Fabio Aurelio down the left, the ball is laid back to Lucas who hits a stunning 25-yard effort that rattles Tim Howard’s crossbar but fails to rattle the net and Everton scramble it clear.

71 mins:

Fabio Aurelio down the left again for the Reds, he is the most likely to create something it seems. Low cross into the near post, good touch by Torres ... TORRES scores! One touch to control, another to smash it past Tim Howard and Liverpool finally take the lead here in front of the Kop!

Liverpool 1-0 Everton

(Torres)

75 mins:

From the restart, Everton attack down the left but the play is broken up and Liverpool can break. Torres slides the ball through for Dirk Kuyt, the Dutch man is in on goal ... saved by Howard again.

84 mins:

Down the left come Everton with Leighton Baines and Mikel Arteta. Clever ball from Baines finds Benzema down the left channel, he flicks the ball towards goal over the top Itandje ... and it’s gone in off the post! What a sublime finish from KARIM BENZEMA! He lobs the ball over the keeper and in off the far post – that is a delightful equaliser and he sends the Blue side of Merseyside crazy behind the goal!

Liverpool 1-1 Everton

(Benzema)

The Everton fans have a new darling here – and he’s not called Cristiano surprisingly!

90 mins:

Howard with a poor clearance that fails to make halfway from Baines’ backpass, headed back and it will fall for Fabio Aurelio clear of the defender ... the Spaniard squares it as Howard approaches him, open goal for Joe Cole ... oh, he’s missed it! All he had to do was hit the target and miss the defender on the line!

3 minutes injury time passes by and Phil Dowd blows the whistle to the joy of the Everton fans!

FULL TIME:

Liverpool 1-1 Everton

(Torres; Benzema, Vidic sent off)

MAN OF THE MATCH: Fabio Aurelio (Liverpool)

With little to do defensively after Vidic’s red card, the Spanish full back showed his attacking prowess with a number of good moves down the left. Kept Ronaldo quiet all game and then crossed to set up Torres for the Reds’ goal. Deserved to be a winner today.

SidSmash.png

A great point for Everton after the early red card thanks to a delightful debut goal from their new signing, Karim Benzema, that cancelled out Torres’ opener for Liverpool. The result leaves both sides in mid-table in the fledgling table but it will be the Toffees and Harry Redknapp who will be happiest. Let’s hear from Harry in the tunnel with Hazel.

HazelHarrison.png

After the red card early, Harry, do you think that was a point well won?

HR: T’riffic point, Hazel, t’riffic point. We defended so well for the majority of the game, looked down and out when Fernando Torres put ‘em in front but then a top class, world class goal from Benny wins us a point. Very happy with that.

We were all looking for Cristiano Ronaldo to shine but it was the new striker in the end. Why was that?

HR: With Cristiano, you’re going to get the odd performance where you’re up against it and he’ll frustrate everybody. It wasn’t a game for him after Vidic’s red card so we brought on Jack to shore us up and it helped us get a point.

Tim Howard was excellent in goal don’t you think?

HR: He made three or four excellent saves to keep us in it in the second half, he’s done brilliant there today. Earned us a point!

Thanks for your time, Harry, good point today. Back to you, Sid.

SportsTVLogo.jpg

SidSmash.png

Now for a new feature here on SPORTS.tv ... Every week, our very own Hazel Harrison will interview the stars of the Premier League in her own unique way from the comforts of her own home. Our new feature is ‘At Home With Hazel’ and our first instalment this week sees Hazel interviewing the Arsenal manager, Arsene Wenger.

Banner.jpg

HAZEL:

Welcome to my home here in the Midlands. I have decided to invite some of the most powerful men in Premier League football round for tea and crumpets this season live and exclusively for SPORTS.tv in my new weekly show. I call it ‘At Home With Hazel’ and this week, I am delighted to welcome Arsene Wenger into my living room. I’ll do anything to get the scoops for my captive audiences!

HazelLivingRoom.jpg

HAZEL:

Welcome to my living room, Mr. Wenger. Make yourself comfortable ... I already have.

WENGER:

Thank you, Miss Harrison.

HAZEL:

Call me, Hazel, please, Mr. Wenger. Glass of red?

WENGER:

Thank you, Hazel.

HAZEL:

Of course you do, you’re a French man after all!

WENGER:

That is true, yes.

HAZEL:

A new Premier League season starts this weekend, Mr. Wenger. What are your hopes for the season?

WENGER:

We haven’t won a trophy for five years, I feel it is time that we put that right this season. I feel that the time has come for my young squad to show the potential that they have.

HAZEL:

What do you think has held them back in the past?

WENGER:

They are a very young side and I feel that a lack of experience has cost us at the final stages of the seasons. We are ready to win the title and the cups, I feel, we just need to be consistent in the latter stages of the season.

HAZEL:

Very true, croissant?

WENGER:

Yes, please ... thank you, again.

HAZEL:

I knew you were coming so I was prepared, Mr. Wenger.

WENGER:

(shuffles uncomfortably as he smiles) Thank you for that.

HAZEL:

Let me get that for you ... Ooops, I’m sorry, Mr. Wenger. A little wardrobe misfunction there! I hope the camera missed it ...

WENGER:

(laughs nervously) I did not see it, Hazel.

HAZEL:

I think you’re lying to me, Mr. Wenger. Anyway, back to football matters. What is your opinion of the draft that took place in the Premier League this summer?

WENGER:

I wasn’t happy about it but what could we do? If that’s the decision they take, that’s what we’ve got to do. I’ve built my squad up over the years and then the Premier League take some of my players away. I feel that it was a little unfair on Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool ...

HAZEL:

But it does even up the Premier League doesn’t it?

WENGER:

It does and it will make the league more competitive. We’ve got to worry about several teams now – Everton, West Brom, they both had an excellent draft. They could be title contenders now.

HAZEL:

So what does your team need to do if it is to win the main prize?

WENGER:

We certainly need to improve at the back. We have to go to places like Stoke, West Ham and Birmingham and not be bullied there.

HAZEL:

Are you saying that you need to stiffen things up at the back, Mr. Wenger?

WENGER:

That’s right, Hazel.

HAZEL:

I’ll agree with that, Mr. Wenger. I’d love you to do just that ...

WENGER:

I am confused, Hazel. This is becoming, I feel, a little bit of ...

HAZEL:

You always say ‘I feel’ Mr. Wenger. I like that.

WENGER:

Erm, right then. I think I should go now.

(Wenger stands up and smiles nervously as he walks out of shot leaving Hazel lounging comfortably on the sofa with a slight look of disappointment on her face.)

HAZEL:

Join me next week when another Premier League star will be joining me ‘At Home With Hazel’ on SPORTS.tv. See you next week. (Hazel blows a kiss to the camera)

Well, that was interesting. Thank you, Hazel. More ‘At Home With Hazel’ next weekend after our live game from the Premier League – Manchester United at home to Arsene Wenger’s Arsenal side. With both sides drawing this weekend, both will be looking to win for the first time next weekend at Old Trafford. You can see it live and exclusive, only on SPORTS.tv. This week, we’ll also bring League Cup Second Round Draw and the action from Poland as Aston Villa travel to face Ruch Chorzow in the Europa League Final Qualifying Round. Join us in the week.

Solid start to the season for Blackpool but we should be expecting goals and lots of them with our attacking line-up.

Thoroughly enjoyable read as always GCB in what was a good start to the season for most sides, except maybe for the Three Lions. KUTGW!!

Oh and as for the interview, I wouldn't mind seeing the great man himself- Mario Balotelli talk about his own brilliance and adapting to life at Blackpool with the gorgeous Hazel.

GCB - I'm loving the Arsene interview, great touch!

Guardiola will be pleased with a 0-0 draw away at the Emirates. I am a little disappointed that van Persie missed the penalty against his former club - Hmmm conspiracy me thinks!

Good to see a clean sheet, something the Hammers fans haven't seen in a good while.

Keep up the good work GCB, this will be one hell of a sign-up.

Can I come round and see Hazel :D

Loving the Harry Redknapp post-match interview there, t'riffic stuff! Still no good news for Chelsea though - Martinez, you'll be sacked by Xmas at this rate. No goals in 2 matches with lovely Forlan up front just isn't good enough!

Solid start for Stoke (alliteration :thup:) Hopefully Luis Fabiano winning us games can become a bit of a trend as the season goes on and nice to see Martin Olsson contributing early on too.

Couple of unexpected draws in that first round of games which makes me think even more it could be a very close season.

Good start for Wolves, not conceding against Chelsea away. Gotta love Hazel's new show & format. Though I have to say Sergio Five has banned any interaction with Hazel in that program for his team till things get going :) No place for distractions like that :D

Love the 'At Home with Hazel' feature. Wenger: I did not see it, Hazel. How appropriate!

Not a bad start from Brum but would have preferred a win since we dominated.

Phil Neville starting for England?? Butty is as bad as Steve 'Umbrella' McLaren!

Oh and as for the interview, I wouldn't mind seeing the great man himself- Mario Balotelli talk about his own brilliance and adapting to life at Blackpool with the gorgeous Hazel.

That could be interesting. However, I'd have to research Balotelli a little bit as I don't know much. Wenger was easy - lots of 'I feel' and you've got him cracked.

Keep up the good work GCB, this will be one hell of a sign-up.

Yes, I've enjoyed it so far. I've taken a bit out of the updates so I can get them done quicker so hopefully we'll be a lot quicker.

They do look a little squashed though. :p

Hahahaha! :D

Can I come round and see Hazel :D

Loving the Harry Redknapp post-match interview there, t'riffic stuff! Still no good news for Chelsea though - Martinez, you'll be sacked by Xmas at this rate. No goals in 2 matches with lovely Forlan up front just isn't good enough!

I'll add you to my list for a visit to Hazel's house ... Martinez could be a good bet for first manager out!

Solid start for Stoke (alliteration :thup:) Hopefully Luis Fabiano winning us games can become a bit of a trend as the season goes on and nice to see Martin Olsson contributing early on too.

Couple of unexpected draws in that first round of games which makes me think even more it could be a very close season.

Excellent alliteration there. Now for a simile, a metaphor and some personification!

The season could be as close as a Gillette razor ... (Do you see what I did there?)

I for one would love Hasel to get her teeth in to Cashley Cole.

Hmmm, a good idea. After all, he is single and available after cheating on the lovely Cheryl ... what a fool!

Love the 'At Home with Hazel' feature. Wenger: I did not see it, Hazel. How appropriate!

Not a bad start from Brum but would have preferred a win since we dominated.

Phil Neville starting for England?? Butty is as bad as Steve 'Umbrella' McLaren!

Whoa! Whoa! Whoa! As bad as McLaren? That's a little harsh! Phil Neville was long due a chance!

OK, maybe not. I wanted to try him out. He didn't impress me though. Maybe a visit to Hazel would help him too?

SportsTVLogo.jpg

SidandHazelatStudioDesk.jpg

Welcome to SPORTS.tv NEWS!

HEADLINES.jpg

CarlingCup.jpg

CARLING CUP – ROUND 2 DRAW

The draw for the 2nd round of the Carling Cup has been made after the Championship, League 1 and League 2 sides kicked off the competition last week. The teams who qualified for Europe last season are not involved in today’s draw due to their participation in European action so we have just thirteen ties involving Premier League clubs. Here they are:

Southampton vs. STOKE CITY

Huddersfield Town vs. EVERTON

Bristol Rovers vs. WIGAN ATHLETIC

Coventry City vs. SUNDERLAND

Charlton Athletic vs. NEWCASTLE UNITED

Stockport County vs. WOLVES

Queens Park Rangers vs. BOLTON WANDERERS

FULHAM vs. Preston North End

BLACKPOOL vs. Brighton and Hove Albion

BIRMINGHAM CITY vs. Shrewsbury Town

WEST BROM vs. Ipswich Town

BLACKBURN ROVERS vs. Brentford

WEST HAM UNITED vs. Norwich City

SELECTED OTHERS

Sheffield United vs. Sheffield Wednesday

Swansea City vs. Leeds United

Leicester City vs. Derby County

Plymouth Argyle vs. Middlesbrough

Some tough draws there for the Premier League sides. Everton will need to beware of the goal threat of Huddersfield Town with Jordan Rhodes and Joe Garner, Stoke City travel to an always unpredictable Southampton who could easily cause an upset, Sunderland travel to the RICOH Arena which is Coventry’s main source of league points and West Ham entertain a Norwich City side that are riding the crest of a promotion wave and could cause an upset too. However, the toughest tie for the Premier League clubs looks to be Bolton Wanderers trip to Neil Warnock’s QPR who are expected to challenge for promotion this season. SPORTS.tv will be live and exclusive at Loftus Road for the tie to see whether Joe Royle’s side can overcome a difficult obstacle in West London.

Hope nobody drew Exeter City away - hehehe!

Should have next update up tomorrow at latest! Holidays have started so expect some updating. Don't forget to give your manager reactions, player reactions, any kind of reaction you like. XTRANORMAL videos made for good viewing last time - google it if you don't know it. Let's have some good stuff on here otherwise it's just me listing scores and it'd be a bit crappy ...

:D

[video=youtube;mQes3o-MnGA]

SportsTVLogo.jpg

Aug18-ELQ-RCvAV.jpg

Welcome to Poland and the city of Chorzow!

SidSmash.png

Tonight sees four of the Premier League teams in European action as they battle to earn their places in the Group Stages of the Europa League or the Champions League. We’ve got all the latest news from White Hart Lane where Tottenham Hotspur face Auxerre in the first leg of the Final Champions League Play Off as they look to join Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United but our main focus tonight is on the Europa League. We’ll keep you up to date with Manchester City at Wisla Krakow, also in Poland, and Liverpool’s home leg with Czech side Banik Ostrava. Our live game comes from Cicha Stadium here in Chorzow where Ruch Chorzow are the hosts of Aston Villa tonight. Can Chris Hughton’s men get a good result and leave themselves in pole position for the return at Villa Park next week?

Down to the lovely Hazel Harrison pitchside, she has news of the Villa team.

SportsTVLogo.jpg

HazelHarrison.png

Thank you, Sid, welcome to Chorzow where I won’t bother with the home side team news. You won’t know them anyway and it’ll be difficult to pronounce their names! They’ve come through three Qualifying Rounds already and knocked Danish side, OB Odense, in the last round so they could be a danger to Villa. Their striker, Lukasz Janoszka, already has six goals in the competition so far and their midfielder, Grzegorz Bronowicki, currently plays for Poland and has 14 caps to his name.

AstonVillaH.png

ASTON VILLA

Manager Chris Hughton names an experienced eleven although we are told it is a 4-4-1-1 formation with Emile Heskey playing at the centre of the defence. We’re not sure why that is but we’re told that is definitely how Villa are going to start the game. Big names Dani Alves and Samuel Eto’o make their European debuts for the Villa whilst Tim Cahill will play in the hole behind Eto’o up front.

FRIEDEL

DANI ALVES

COLLINS

HESKEY

L.YOUNG

A.YOUNG

REO-COKER

PETROV

KRANJCAR

CAHILL

ETO’O

SUBS: Guzan, Ireland, Downing, Carew, Baker, Albrighton, Weimann

A strong line-up for Chris Hughton although it will be interesting to see how Emile Heskey plays in the back line. Back to you, Sid.

SportsTVLogo.jpg

EuropaLeague.jpg603.png

FIRST HALF

5 mins:

Niko Kranjcar gets the ball on the left from Stilian Petrov, the Croatian cuts inside and looks for a 25-yard curler ... it’s dipping, just wide of the post. Keeper was beaten there.

Kranjcar is injured now and is going to be replaced by Baker. He goes into the back line and Heskey moves out to the left wing now. Another strange move – why not use Downing?!

21 mins:

Tim Cahill picks the ball up in the Chorzow half, slides it into Eto’o who holds it up and feeds it back into the path of Cahill, chance for the Australian ... CAHILL scores his first goal for Aston Villa. Slides it past the keeper into the net and a great tonic for Villa!

Ruch Chorzow 0-1 Aston Villa

(Cahill)

29 mins:

Goalscorer Cahill and Petrov combine in the midfield and it is Petrov with the ball in space. He lofts a direct ball into the area towards Ashley Young. The England winger controls the ball well, keeper comes out but YOUNG lifts it over him and into the far corner. Villa are on easy street now, they lead 2-0!

Ruch Chorzow 0-2 Aston Villa

(A.Young)

30 mins:

Villa are dominant now, Dani Alves’ tackles sets Petrov away again. He slides the ball into the path of Samuel Eto’o, one on one with the keeper, Eto’o goes for goal ... just wide of the post.

45+1 mins:

Grzyb down the right for the Polish side, cross is deflected towards goal and Friedel has to palm it away from under the crossbar. Chorzow continue the attack, Gabor Straka into the box, challenge from Nigel Reo-Coker, is that a penalty? No says the referee, it was a dive and Straka is already in the book. RED CARD! Villa are now up against ten men as half time is signalled by the referee.

HALF TIME

(Straka sent off; Cahill, A.Young)

A very positive half for the Premier League side, they lead 2-0 against ten men and will be looking for more goals now in the second half that would ensure a very easy passage into the Europa League group stages this season. Two great finishes from Cahill and Young, good build up play and even Heskey has done alright in two positions!

What about the other sides in action tonight?

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs. AUXERRE

Half time at White Hart Lane and the crowd becoming a little bit disheartened here as, despite Spurs’ dominance, it remains 0-0, a result that the French side would love to take back to France next week for the second leg. Tottenham are creating chances but have been wasteful and will be hoping to find at least one goal in the second half to give them confidence of a Champions League place. 0-0.

EUROPA LEAGUE: WISLA KRAKOW vs. MANCHESTER CITY

It remains 0-0 here as well, Sid, an even game that could end up going either way. City will remain confident as long as they don’t fall behind with a second leg to come in Manchester next week but will be hoping to sneak an away goal that would make their lives a lot easier. 0-0.

EUROPA LEAGUE: LIVERPOOL vs. BANIK OSTRAVA

An early scare here for John Barnes in his first European tie in charge of Liverpool as the Czech side took an early lead. The game was just 10 minutes old when DAVID NAVRATIL slide home a corner from the right and silenced Anfield. Liverpool did battle back though and levelled almost immediately, SYLVAIN EBANKS-BLAKE with his first for the club two minutes later to make it 1-1 at half time. Liverpool will be hoping for more goals in the second half though. 1-1

SportsTVLogo.jpg

EuropaLeague.jpg603.png

SECOND HALF

HALF TIME

(Straka sent off; Cahill, A.Young)

46 mins:

A positive start from the ten men of Ruch Chorzow as they attack from the kick off. Swierblewski gets past Dani Alves down the left, into the box and curls for the far corner, Friedel beaten but the ball drops just wide of the post.

61 mins:

Cahill and Petrov combine again in the centre circle and Petrov plays a glorious ball into the path of Eto’o through on goal again. He rounds the keeper, open goal, SAMUEL ETO’O makes it 3-0 to Aston Villa and that should seal the tie.

Ruch Chorzow 0-3 Aston Villa

(Eto’o)

63 mins:

Ruch Chorzow are refusing to give up the game though and attack through their danger man, Lukasz Janoszka. He plays the ball through to Peter Swierblewski, in on goal, shoots ... parried away by Friedel, straight to Janoszka, he shoots but James Collins gets the block and the ball deflects just wide for a corner.

74 mins:

Cross from the right hand side by Dani Alves, finds Emile Heskey at the far post, diving header ... just wide from Heskey. That’s his last involvement as Stewart Downing replaces him on the left. John Carew also replaces Samuel Eto’o.

82 mins:

Reo-Coker finds Downing on the left wing. The England man gets to the goal-line and delivers a low cross to the near post, Carew gets there ... straight at the keeper with the header.

90+1 mins:

Cahill advances with the ball for Villa, goes for goal from 30 yards with a dipping effort ... ooh, just scrapes the crossbar!

Full time whistle is blown by the referee and it is a solid 3-0 success for Chris Hughton’s Villa side that should ensure easy progress into the Europa League group stage in the second leg next week.

FULL TIME:

Ruch Chorzow 0-3 Aston Villa

(Straka sent off; Cahill, A.Young, Eto’o)

MAN OF THE MATCH: Stilian Petrov (Aston Villa)

Created two of the three Villa goals as well as numerous other chances, always had a hand in anything good about Villa’s play.

SidSmash.png

A comfortable win for the Villains who can now look forward to the second leg in Birmingham next week knowing that it will be an easy route into the group stages after the hard work was done tonight. Three good goals, it could have been more, Chris Hughton will be extremely happy. But what of the other Premier League teams in action tonight?

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE: TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs. AUXERRE

Excellent second half for Guus Hiddink’s men as they secure a two goal lead to take to France as they look to secure their place in the Champions League group stage. It took a while to arrive but two goals in five minutes was enough for a 2-0 win. First, AARON LENNON danced through the Auxerre defence and drilled past the keeper to give Spurs the lead and relieved the growing tension inside the Lane. Within five minutes, GIOVANI DOS SANTOS got on the end of Lennon’s right wing cross and powered home a left foot effort to seal the win. Tottenham should be OK from here although an away goal in France would help. Spurs 2-0 Auxerre.

EUROPA LEAGUE: WISLA KRAKOW vs. MANCHESTER CITY

Ian Holloway’s first taste of Europe brings him a sweet taste of victory as City sneak a goal to edge an even game and take a lead back to the City of Manchester Stadium next week. On the hour, it was a drilled shot from the edge of the area by PABLO ZABALETA that found the corner and ensured that City would take a lead home. They should progress from this point although Wisla are capable of a shock – stranger things have happened. Wisla 0-1 City.

EUROPA LEAGUE: LIVERPOOL vs. BANIK OSTRAVA

A much improved performance from John Barnes’ Reds in the second half as they add two goals and take a two goal advantage into the second leg next week. First of all, DAVID N’GOG got on the scoresheet to put the Reds in front on the night and four minutes later, GLEN JOHNSON added a third goal that should mean Liverpool progress next week. However, the Czech side showed that they are now pushovers and if they get an early goal next week, it could be a difficult night for Barnes and his side. Liverpool 3-1 Banik Ostrava.

SportsTVLogo.jpg

SidSmash.png

It’s been a good night for our four Premier League sides in European action tonight as all four of them secure wins that should mean that they qualify for the group stages of the Champions League and Europa League. We’ll be with Tottenham next week as they travel to Auxerre with a 2-0 lead looking to ensure that they join Arsenal, Chelsea and Manchester United in the Champions League.

Next on SPORTS.tv, we’re at Old Trafford as Manchester United and Arsenal clash in the Premier League this weekend. We’ll also have all the action from the other nine Premier League games as well. Join us for that! Good night!

[video=youtube;cP_kY__KumE]

SportsTVLogo.jpg

Aug18-PL-MUvA.jpg

Welcome to Old Trafford!

SidSmash.png

The first day of the Premier League season gave us seven drawn matches out of the ten to be played and all four of the ‘Big 4’ of recent years failed to win their games. This afternoon, Manchester United and Arsenal clash here at Old Trafford with both sides desperate to get their season started with their first win. SPORTS.tv is live and exclusive as Sir Alex Ferguson’s United and Arsene Wenger’s Gunners clash in the first of the Grand Slam matches of the season. Who will come out on top today?

Before that though, let’s update you on what’s been happening in the Premier League this week!

TRANSFERS

Manchester United have again strengthened their side for the future with the £1.2m signing of Barcelona defender, Marc Muniesa. The 18-year old Spaniard is expected to be a big star but United have convinced Barcelona to allow him to sign on at Old Trafford.

Tottenham have allowed two players to leave White Hart Lane on loan. First of all, talented youngster Jake Livermore has joined Championship side, Burnley, where he will be looking to gain some first team experience. The second one was quite a shock though as Spurs boss Guus Hiddink has allowed midfielder Jermaine Jenas leave on loan to Premier League rivals, Manchester City. Ian Holloway has managed to bring the midfielder to the City of Manchester Stadium and included him in his starting eleven for the trip to West Ham yesterday.

City have also loaned a player out with the Brazilian flop, Jo, leaving the club on loan. The striker will join Italian side Palermo for the season as City look to let the striker leave after a disappointing couple of years.

Finally, Villa youngster Shane Lowry, a left sided defender, has joined Championship side Barnsley on loan until January.

SATURDAY’S ACTION

ASTON VILLA vs. LIVERPOOL

With both sides playing in Europe this week, fatigue could have played a part in the game at Villa Park but it certainly didn’t look like it for one side here. After a scrappy opening half an hour, it was the home side who struck first. Luke Young delivered a lovely cross from the left and former Everton man, TIM CAHILL, rose highest to plant a header beyond Brad Jones into the net. And before half time, Villa had doubled the lead. Dani Alves’ free kick from the right was half cleared, Alves swung another cross in and SAMUEL ETO’O dove to head home from five yards out. In the second half, the game remained even but a dreadful error sealed the points for Villa. A long ball forward was flicked on by Eto’o and Brad Jones had time to wait and catch the ball. However, he decided to head it clear, got it wrong and SAMUEL ETO’O simply took the ball round the stranded keeper and slotted into an empty net. Liverpool were given a glimmer of hope with 18 minutes left, Dirk Kuyt with the cross from the right and FERNANDO TORRES with the header past Friedel, but that hope was extinguished five minutes later. Emile Heskey found SAMUEL ETO’O on the corner of the box and the Cameroonian looked up and curled a glorious effort past Jones into the near corner. A hat trick for Eto’o in his Villa Park debut, the Holte End has a new darling. A great win for Chris Hughton’s side but Liverpool remain winless.

ASTON VILLA 4-1 LIVERPOOL

(Cahill, Eto’o 3; Torres)

BOLTON WANDERERS vs. WIGAN ATHLETIC

A North West derby at the Reebok Stadium where Roberto Mancini’s Wigan side visited Joe Royle’s Bolton searching for their first win of the season. Bolton were also looking for their first win and set out positively with an early goal. Martin Petrov’s left wing corner was powerfully headed home by OLA TOIVONEN on his home debut but keeper Hans-Jorg Butt should have done better with it. The game was scrappy although Bolton always had control and in injury time, they sealed the points. Butt’s long kick was powerfully headed back by Gary Cahill and JOHAN ELMANDER out-paced Sol Campbell and tucked the ball past Butt to seal the win. A first win for Bolton and they remain unbeaten.

BOLTON WANDERERS 2-0 WIGAN ATHLETIC

(Toivonen, Elmander)

EVERTON vs. BIRMINGHAM CITY

After both sides drew their opening games, both were looking to get their wins column started as Goodison hosted the battle of the Blues. Harry Redknapp was given a warm welcome by the Everton fans whilst new City boss, Rafa Benitez, was jeered on his return to Merseyside. On 14 minutes, we got the first glimpse of the new Everton hero. Lescott found CRISTIANO RONALDO on the left, he cut inside and unleashed a vicious shot from 25 yards that flew past Foster into the top corner to make it 1-0 to the Toffees. The Blues of Birmingham failed to once trouble Everton keeper Tim Howard in the whole game and got what they deserved when Everton got a second just after half time. Mertesacker’s woeful clearance only found Rodwell, his header found Benzema who ran at goal ... the ball broke loose and STEVEN PIENAAR was on hand to sweep home and seal a first win for Redknapp’s side.

EVERTON 2-0 BIRMINGHAM CITY

(Ronaldo, Pienaar)

FULHAM vs. BLACKPOOL

After defeat on the opening day of the season, Fulham boss Mark Hughes demanded a victory over Premier League new boys, Blackpool, at Craven Cottage. However, the Seasiders came to town looking for their first goal and first win of the season as well. A scrappy first half yielded no goals until injury time when the deadlock was broken. Javier Hernandez found David Villa on the left, his low cross was perfect and HULK was on hand to sidefoot home from a few yards out. Fulham doubled their lead 10 minutes into the second half. Again, it was David Villa down the left, he crossed into the area where Ross Turnbull mis-judged the flight and it left HULK with a simple header into an empty net to double his tally and Fulham’s lead. The game was even but Fulham had the better strikers and it showed. On 64 minutes, Valon Behrami curled a ball round the back of the defenders and DAVID VILLA got their first to smash past Turnbull and seal a good 3-0 win for the Cottagers.

FULHAM 3-0 BLACKPOOL

(Hulk 2, Villa)

STOKE CITY vs. CHELSEA

After an opening day win over Blackburn at Ewood Park, hope was high amongst the Potters fans that they could beat a Chelsea side struggling so far under Roberto Martinez. Chelsea, who drew with Wolves at the Bridge last week, were looking for their first goals and first win of the season. However, they weren’t to find either at the Brittania. A dull game ended in a goalless draw that probably pleased the Stoke boss, David Moyes, more than Martinez.

STOKE CITY 0-0 CHELSEA

SUNDERLAND vs. WEST BROM

After the recruitment in the summer, many people are suggesting that West Brom could be the darkhorses to gatecrash the European places this season. Under new boss, Owen Coyle, the Baggies travelled to Steve Bruce’s Sunderland who have recently made the Stadium of Light a fortress. Would it remain one today? It looked unlikely from the 12th minute as West Brom took the lead. Great play from Agbonlahor and Rosicky led to the chance and ROQUE SANTA CRUZ drilled past Kuszczak to make it 1-0. Five minutes later, it was 2-0 with a carbon copy of the first. Mikel this time combined with Agbonlahor to send SANTA CRUZ clear and he found the bottom corner. By half time, the game was all over and the Baggies were heading for top spot in the Premier League. Santa Cruz this time slid the ball through the static Sunderland defence and AGBONLAHOR got his reward as he fired home to make it 3-0. There was hope for the Black Cats on 53 minutes as Gyan laid the ball back to Filipe whose perfect cross was headed home by ELMOHAMMADY to make it 3-1 but as Sunderland pressed, West Brom and Roque Santa Cruz made them pay dearly. Messi’s corner into the six yard box and a free header for SANTA CRUZ to complete his hat-trick and give the Baggies a huge win.

SUNDERLAND 1-4 WEST BROM

(Elmohammady; Santa Cruz 3, Agbonlahor)

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR vs. BLACKBURN ROVERS

Both sides lost on the opening day of the season so Guus Hiddink’s Spurs welcomed Jose Mourinho’s Blackburn for a game that both desperately wanted to win. Spurs, who beat Auxerre in the week, got off to a perfect start on 6 minutes. Rafael van der Vaart played a super ball to the right for Lennon, he crossed the ball and it evaded everybody but LUKA MODRIC who side footed home at the far post. However, by half time, Hiddink’s men were behind. David Dunn’s forward ball found EMANUEL ADEBAYOR who held off William Gallas to strike, Gomes’ hand was unable to stop the ball and it trickled over the line for the leveller. And in first half stoppage time, it was ADEBAYOR again, this time latching onto Grella’s ball over the top and slotting past Gomes to make it 2-1. In the second half, Spurs quickly levelled the game. Bale’s free kick from the left and MODRIC got his second as he headed home at the far post to give Reina no chance. The game was evenly poised but the turning point came in the 71st minute. Adebayor was booked twice in two minutes and went from the hero for Rovers to the villain as he was sent off. Within minutes, Spurs were in front. Bale’s left wing corner found CROUCH who guided the header in off the far post. Tottenham held on for a first win of the season but Blackburn end the day bottom, a place that Mourinho is not familiar with.

TOTTENHAM HOTSPUR 3-2 BLACKBURN ROVERS

(Modric 2, Crouch; Adebayor 2, Adebayor sent off)

WEST HAM UNITED vs. MANCHESTER CITY

After their opening day win over Spurs and their European win over Wisla Krakow, Ian Holloway’s City side travelled to Upton Park looking to extend their winning run. The Hammers drew 0-0 at Arsenal on the first day of the season and they followed it up with another 0-0 draw over City today in a dull game. Neither side tested the keeper enough and it was a hard-earned point for both. New boss Pep Guardiola will be happy with the Hammers’ defence with two clean sheets against two of the top teams but will hope to see his side scoring more very soon.

WEST HAM UNITED 0-0 MANCHESTER CITY

WOLVES vs. NEWCASTLE UNITED

After opening day draws, both sides were confident of getting their first victories as Alex McLeish and Alan Shearer’s sides met at Molineux today. Two goals either side of half time gave Newcastle the advantage in a scrappy, even game. First, on 42 minutes, Joey Barton delivered a stunning right wing cross that KALOU could not miss with the header to give the Magpies the lead. After half time, Joe Mattock’s left wing cross should have been no problem for Hennessey in the goal but he fumbled and EDIN DZEKO got there before the keeper to force the ball over the line for the second. Wolves’ lifeline came with 14 minutes left. Mancienne’s ball over the top found Tonetto, he squared for Benjani who should have scored, Kirkland saved it but STEVEN FLETCHER knocked home the rebound to make it 1-2. However, Wolves could not find the equaliser and Shearer’s men get their first win of the season.

WOLVES 1-2 NEWCASTLE UNITED

(Fletcher; Kalou, Dzeko)

That brings you up to date with the Premier League where the ‘Big 4’ have still yet to win a game – will United or Arsenal manage it this afternoon? Over to Hazel for the team news!

SportsTVLogo.jpg

HazelHarrison.png

Thanks, Sid, I’m down here in the Old Trafford tunnel where I’ve just seen a certain Mr. David Beckham ... He visited my house during the week for my ‘At Home With Hazel’ feature which you can see after today’s match. Unfortunately, he brought that wife of his along so I’m hoping to get a private moment with him down here today. He is here of course to watch his former team, Manchester United, against Arsenal in the Premier League today. Let’s see how United line up.

ManUH.png

MANCHESTER UNITED

After their opening day draw at Wigan, United will want a home win today to get their season rolling. There is still no place for summer signing Jermain Defoe who starts on the bench again whilst United captain Wayne Rooney starts with Dimitar Berbatov up front. With no Ferdinand still, United start with Jonny Evans and Zat Knight in defence and Arsenal will fancy their chances there. Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes start in midfield as their incredible careers carry on into another season!

CASILLAS

BROWN

KNIGHT

EVANS

EVRA

NANI

GIBSON

SCHOLES

GIGGS

BERBATOV

ROONEY

SUBS: van der Sar, Macheda, Valencia, Smalling, Defoe, Hunt, Boyce

ArsenalA.png

ARSENAL

The Gunners are missing Milan Jovanovic still but have a fully fit squad other than that as they seek a first win of the season after a 0-0 draw at home to West Ham in a disappointing start. Cesc Fabregas captains the side whilst Marouane Chamakh and Andrei Arshavin start up front with new signings, Moussa Dembele and Peter Odemwingie, on the bench.

ABBIATI

SAGNA

KOSCIELNY

VERMAELEN

CLICHY

TOULALAN

FABREGAS

NASRI

WALCOTT

ARSHAVIN

CHAMAKH

SUBS: Almunia, Lansbury, Wilshere, Odemwingie, Upson, Dembele, Gibbs

That’s how these two line up, I’m off to find David Beckham, back to you, Sid.

SportsTVLogo.jpg

Aug18-PL-MUvA2.jpg

FIRST HALF

10 mins:

Marouane Chamakh brings the ball down in the United half and finds Arshavin on the left wing. The Russian runs at Wes Brown and crosses low and hard, Chamakh is there, fabulous save from Casillas as point blank range.

22 mins:

Forward down the left from Evra, Giggs with the flick inside to Rooney, corner of the box but he will drill it at goal, Abbiati saves, ball loose and Fabregas clears. Great effort from Rooney and the fans chant his name!

27 mins:

Clichy down the left, crosses dangerously to the near post but Evans heads it clear. Nasri picks the ball up and knocks it to the edge of the area and Fabregas, the Spanish midfielder has his back to goal, swivels and shoots ... FABREGAS scores for Arsenal! A stunning finish into the top corner of Casillas’ net, no chance for the keeper and Arsenal lead at Old Trafford!

Manchester United 0-1 Arsenal

(Fabregas)

40 mins:

Clichy on the left, inside to Chamakh in the middle of the United half. Slides a wonderful ball through, Arshavin gets the better of Wes Brown, great chance for 2-0 ... straight at Casillas who blocks it and then clears it. Will Arsenal regret that miss?

45 mins:

Arshavin’s corner from the left, cleared but straight back to him. Arshavin runs inside with the ball, slides it back to Nasri, edge of the box, shoots left footed ... just over the bar, should have hit the target there!

Half time here at Old Trafford and Manchester United are a goal behind to Arsenal who have completely dominated the first half.

HALF TIME

(Fabregas)

Cesc Fabregas’ goal – and what a good goal it was – is the difference at half time and Arsenal are deservedly in front. Debatably, they could and maybe should be more than 1-0 up after good chances for Arshavin and Nasri. Can United get back into this in the second half? They’ll need to significantly improve second half if they are to get back into it.

SportsTVLogo.jpg

Aug18-PL-MUvA2.jpg

SECOND HALF

HALF TIME

(Fabregas)

49 mins:

Gibson with the ball in the middle, spots Giggs all alone out wide as the play is stretched ... glorious ball out to Giggs, in on goal against Abbiati ... Giggs shoots, Abbiati saves and Arsenal clear. Great chance for Ryan Giggs to equalise.

55 mins:

Giggs driving down the left wing against Sagna, mishit cross from the Welsh winger but Abbiati has to tip it over the bar. Almost a fluke goal for Giggs.

58 mins:

Arsenal corner from the left, Arshavin to the near post. There is Koscielny with the glancing header, off the bar! So close to 2-0 to Arsenal!

65 mins:

Gibson gets the better of Nasri in the middle and strides forwards, lays it off to Berbatov who hits it from distance ... Abbiati parried it to safety, a wicked effort from Berbatov.

74 mins:

Fabregas and Nasri do well to win the ball in the centre circle and Nasri counters. He slides it forward for Chamakh who turns inside, gets away from Evans, shoots ... palmed past the post by Casillas who is keeping United in this game. Corner for Arsenal.

79 mins:

Nasri and Chamakh combine well in the middle and set Jack Wilshere away on the left. Running at goal, the young England star goes for goal but Casillas blocks again and it’s another corner for Arsenal. The Gunners are looking more likely as time ticks away for United.

83 mins:

Nani does well to rob Clichy and he sets United away on a counter down the right with substitute, Valencia. He runs to the byline and delivers the cross, there is ROONEY! Heads past Abbiati, Wayne Rooney puts United level with 7 minutes to go!

Manchester United 1-1 Arsenal

(Rooney)

87 mins:

Brown does well on the right and finds Gibson in the centre of the Arsenal half. Darron Gibson takes his time and springs the Arsenal offside trap with a beautiful to Berbatov, one on one with Abbiati ... Berbatov threatens to shoot and then squares it for ROONEY! Slots it into the net, Manchester United have come from behind to lead against their title rivals!

Manchester United 2-1 Arsenal

(Rooney)

90+1 mins:

Arsenal pressing for the leveller now, Sagna with the cross from the right. Finds Dembele who heads across goal, Odemwingie is in there, scramble in the box but Evans clears and United survive.

It’s all over here at Old Trafford and incredibly, Manchester United have snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. Arsene Wenger will be devastated after his side deserved to win the game.

FULL TIME:

Manchester United 2-1 Arsenal

(Rooney 2; Fabregas)

MAN OF THE MATCH: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)

Despite Arsenal’s dominance and the excellent performances of Fabregas and Nasri, the United forward gets the decision due to his important two goals that won United the match.

SidSmash.png

Arsenal will be wondering how they managed to lose this one – they dominated the game for 80 minutes and Iker Casillas’ denied them time after time to keep United in it. However, they didn’t take their chances and in the Premier League, you get punished for that. Two good finishes from Wayne Rooney and three points for United who find themselves in the top six tonight.

Hazel is with Wayne Rooney.

HazelHarrison.png

Thanks, Sid. Wayne, you got the goals but did you deserve to win that?

WR: Err, possibly not, Arsenal were excellent first half and could have scored more but Iker was excellent for us. We took our chances and we’re delighted to get three points.

Could you really have missed either of those goals?

WR: Not really, the ball from Antonio for the first was perfect and I just had to head it past the keeper. I thought Berba’ would shoot on the second but he spotted me and gave me the chance to stick it away.

You’re the man of the match, Wayne, here’s the champagne. I’ve written my phone number of the label.

WR: Haha. I’ll pass it on to Darron Gibson shall I?

I’d rather you kept it yourself, Wayne. Thanks, back to you in the studio, Sid.

SportsTVLogo.jpg

SidSmash.png

Welcome back to SPORTS.tv where Manchester United have beaten Arsenal 2-1 here at Old Trafford, two late Wayne Rooney goals the difference after Arsenal had dominated the game. Right, now we’re heading over to our new weekly feature, ‘At Home With Hazel’ where our reporter, Hazel Harrison, interviews a notable name from the Premier League world. Today, she has David Beckham and his wife, Victoria.

Banner.jpg

HAZEL:

Welcome to my home, I’m awaiting the arrival of David Beckham to my home today. There’s the doorbell, time to make myself look comfortable then ...

HazelLivingRoom.jpg

HAZEL:

Hmmm, hello there David ... oh, and Victoria. You’ve brought your wife. Nice. Hello there, Victoria.

VICTORIA:

Aren’t you a little cold, Hazel?

DAVID:

She always dresses like that, I saw her last week with Arsene ...

HAZEL:

Yeah, thanks David. So, Miss Posh, why are you here today?

VICTORIA:

I saw your interview with Arsene last week as well. I’m here to keep an eye on ... things.

HAZEL:

Well, nice to see you anyway. David ... Any chance of a return to English football?

DAVID:

I doubt it, I’m happy in Los Angeles. I’m hoping to buy a club over there soon and run it. Maybe even manage it. I’m just here this week for the match at Old Trafford this weekend.

HAZEL:

Do you still speak with Sir Alex?

DAVID:

Sometimes, I will speak to him this week. He’s a great manager so I’ll always want to talk to him.

HAZEL:

Posh, why don’t you go and get a drink from the kitchen?

DAVID:

Yeah, sweetheart, I’ll have an orange.

(Victoria eyes Hazel suspiciously before leaving to head for the kitchen. As soon as she has gone, Hazel moves closer to Beckham.)

DAVID:

Whoa there, what you doing?

HAZEL:

Taking my chance. David, why didn’t you come alone?

DAVID:

Victoria insisted I came with her, she said she didn’t trust you.

HAZEL:

Ridiculous. I’m offended. As if I would try anything with a married man ...

DAVID:

Well, that’s what she reckoned. You are a bit of a tease to be fair. You had Arsene all flustered last week!

HAZEL:

That was a shame he didn’t hang around. I’ve heard good things about him. Apparently he likes to play around rather than going for the goal ... just like his team.

DAVID:

What do you mean?

HAZEL:

Never mind. When are you going to visit again?

DAVID:

I’ll have to ask the missus, I’m afraid.

(Hazel sighs and moves away with a look of disappointment on her face as Victoria comes in with the drinks.)

DAVID:

Thanks, babe. Cheers Hazel.

HAZEL:

Yeah, yeah. Well, that is it, drink your drinks and off you go. Go on, out of my living room. I’ve got to phone up Darron Gibson.

VICTORIA:

Charming. I told you didn’t I, David?

(The Beckhams leave and Hazel sits down on her couch looking frustrated.)

HAZEL:

See you next Sunday. Hopefully, I’ll have more luck with my next guest. David was rather boring. See you later.

Well, that was ... different.

You can catch ‘At Home With Hazel’ every weekend after the Premier League live game. I’m not sure why you’d want to but there you have it. Thanks for that, Hazel.

Next week, SPORTS.tv will be in France as we check on Tottenham’s progress and look to see if they can qualify for the group stages of the Champions League. We’ll also have the draw for the group stages of the Champions League and the Europa League. Join us for that. And then, next weekend, we’re back with Premier League action as we head for St. Andrew’s for the Second City Derby as Birmingham City host Aston Villa. It promises to be a cracker.

We’ll also have all the latest news from the Premier League and all the goals from these games:

Arsenal vs. Bolton Wanderers

Birmingham City vs. Aston Villa

Blackburn Rovers vs. Manchester City

Blackpool vs. Sunderland

Chelsea vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Liverpool vs. Wolves

Manchester United vs. West Ham United

Newcastle United vs. Stoke City

West Brom vs. Everton

Wigan Athletic vs. Fulham

We’ll see you next week on SPORTS.tv. Good evening.

Martinez Mumbling Excuses as Forlan Fluffs It Again

3 games under new management and Chelsea still have not managed a single goal, despite having the attacking talents of Diego Forlan, one of the world's best players, as well as Nicolas Anelka, Florent Malouda, Michael Essien and Leon Osman to call on. Fans are pointing the finger at Roberto Martinez's bizarre team selections and tactics, and many pundits believe chairman Snake Exceed made a huge mistake in not throwing more money at a better manager in the summer.

The Sun's Flabby Woolhead had this to say on the matter:

"CHUMPSKI chairman Snake Exceed must be CHOKING on his caviar in his director's box at Stamford Bridge at the moment. Roberto Martinez simply isn't good enough for one of ENGLAND's top, top clubs. Of course, this is NO SURPRISE when he let go of ENGLANDS BESTEST PLAYER Frank Lampard in the summer."

Arsenal Crash To Defeat

Another poor performance for Arsenal leaves them at the wrong end of the table, SPORTS.tv caught up with the manager Arsene Wenger for an interview

So Arsene have you recovered from your encounter with Hazel?

Not really, I hated every minute of it. I guess it must have been entertaining television but David had the right idea dragging his wife along. Must remember that for next time.

There will be a next time? Can't get enough of her, can you?

No comment

On to the game then, how do you think you played today?

We played well, we created plenty of chances but just couldn't finish them. I was disappointed with our defending at the end of the game, we should have done more on the 2nd goal and probably should have pushed up to catch them offside.

After the start to the season are you re-evaulating your season objectives?

Not at all I think we are still in shape to finish near the top of the table. We do need to improve our performances though

Are you looking at making anymore signings?

After today, maybe we need a top class striker, there is money available but I might just go and buy some random Japanese teenager instead

Archived