The Better Half´s Tactic Center - Patch 11.3

My final 11.1 version of the Narrow Diamond DOWNLOAD LINK

This version is a tweak of kollys tweak of my first version.

• Channel the play through the midlle
  • Playing slow and narrow
  • Deep lying playmaker in MCright
  • Strong Target Man in FCright
  • Quick Poacher in the FCleft spot
  • Attacking wingbacks that huges the touhcline, hold up ball BUT make no fwruns ahead of the ball

going to try this one.

Thks TBH

• Replies 504
  • Created
  • Last Reply
and for the shouts are still the same?

The shouts I have ben using are the following

defensive shouts

- Strategy = Defensive....reatain, breather

Attacking shouts

- Get ball forward, exploit the flanks

- tweak the width and tempo so that they are back to th wizard settings

- tweak the fullbacks so that they are back to their role regarding fwruns

Thanks for updating the diamond. After trying out various tactics I keep coming back to your diamond tactic as it is the most successful.

After having downloaded the tactic, make the follwong tweaks

- Strategy - Defensive

save the newe tactic as "defesnive version"

then change the strategy back to control, untick the focus play so that its set to mixed, untick the width and the width so its as suggested by the wizard. Then untcik the tweaked settings of the Wingbacks so they have a untweaked role ( on attack)

Save the tactic as "Attacking" version

Now, load up these 2 tactics as your 2nd and 3rd choice tactics in the match preparation so that the team gets these tweaks fluid as well :D

giving some feedback especially to TBH, but also others who are using and admiring her job (as me f.e.)

Played a season with Arsenal and used three tactics from this thread: Deep 4231 (beta nr 1), narrow diamond with Kolly tweaks and lately most of all 4411 with playmaker (read Cesc!)

Everything worked just fine - was leading a league at halfway, eliminated Inter in 1st play-off round of CL etc. Strange thing was I was very succesful while adapting to all new formations. After getting everything "fluid" in Match Preparation screen things started to get worse. Finally I didn't won anything big (only League Cup), finished 2nd in league 5 points behind Pool, 1 point ahead of Chelsea and 2 ahead of ManU.

But I'm far away from blaming any of tactics. It had to do anything with a) my team managemant; b) players not ready to win silverware yet (as IRL); c) both.

Little surprise was how lethal and effective Theo Walcott can be as Poacher, much better than MR/AMR.

Will try to get hold of best players, bring in couple of determined young talents and hope in second season Gunners will grab at least one trophy thanks to TBH.

My final 11.1 version of the Narrow Diamond DOWNLOAD LINK

This version is a tweak of kollys tweak of my first version.

So m8, if u have to choose a Narrow Diamond formation for a top team will u pick up this one???

Did u "give up" from yr personalised role (Riot AMC, Complete Linkplayer, Riot FC)???

4BR4

After having downloaded the tactic, make the follwong tweaks

- Strategy - Defensive

save the newe tactic as "defesnive version"

then change the strategy back to control, untick the focus play so that its set to mixed, untick the width and the width so its as suggested by the wizard. Then untcik the tweaked settings of the Wingbacks so they have a untweaked role ( on attack)

Save the tactic as "Attacking" version

Now, load up these 2 tactics as your 2nd and 3rd choice tactics in the match preparation so that the team gets these tweaks fluid as well :D

Thanks TBH and kolly..... I like to play with no winger so the right choice is 4-1-2-1-2 system... I have try the one before that kolly have make the tweak and it give excellence result for my Blackburn team....

I will try the new one this.... thanks so much for both of u for the effort... thanks so much... :-)

So m8, if u have to choose a Narrow Diamond formation for a top team will u pick up this one???

Did u "give up" from yr personalised role (Riot AMC, Complete Linkplayer, Riot FC)???

4BR4

Nah, I did not give them up at all but these roles suited the new slower tempo and narrow width better

But will u choose the version 11.1 for a top club, or yr 1st one with minor tweaks (attacking wb, more width)???

And for the version 11.1 I thought will be bettere a small pitch, what do u think???

4BR4

I would use the latest tweak or the Kolly tweak ( no versions are called 11.1 though, as all tactics have ben made with the 11.1)

I have used medium pitches and it works great as well.

I have to say, TBH, your advice on seeing closing down as either closing down an opponent slightly ahead/behind or bang on the middle of players default position is my greatest tactical, let's say, revelation since I started tinkering with sliders.

I always thought that the position of the slider dictates at what part of pitch the player closes down - regardless if he's a forward or a defender - i.e. If it's all the way on the right side both FC and DC will rush to the opposition penalty box and chase people there - if it were bang on the middle DCs and MCs would roush to the center of the pitch to attack players there. Makes no sense, really but that is how I understood the manual . No wonder I always struggled with getting my tactics to work consistently - your way of looking is infinitely more logical, and what's more important works in the game (well, at least for me, ever since I implemented it)

TheBetterHalf,

I'm new to the shout system dispite playing FM for a while, can you please advise how to create a tactic with the shouts already activated?

Regards

The shouts are not supposed to be activated but used ingame as a respond to what is happening on the field. But if you want, you can save the tactic ingame and load it up after the game

are the 41221 is ready?

Sorry no. I have not been able to play for a while. Cant say that I will have much time for the coming weeks either. I can send you a beta to be used with top/middle teams on Wednesday but it has not been tested with lesser players

I actually played for a few hours last night, using the TC in a slightly different way than in these plug & shout tactics.

Basically, I used in a way that I intent to for the coming time and this is how..

Step one

- Use the formation that suits the current squad

Step Two

- .Use the roles that suits the players and the player Duties. Use a Philosophy and Strategy that suit the current ability and status of the club but stay away from the more attacking and defensive versions. I consider Counter, Balanced and Control to be the only 3 that works in this approach that I am to explain

Step Three

- Save the tactic

Step Four

- Make the mentality of all the players “fixed” so that they don’t change when changing strategy. i.e, tick their mentality and set it just as it was before ticking it

Step Five

- Do the same with the Closing Down only this time, set it on a slightly higher notch than in the middle

Step Six

- Save the Tactic as “ Normal Tactic”

Step Seven

- Change the strategy to a more defensive one and save it as “Defensive Tactic”

Step Eight

- Once again change the Strategy to a more attacking one and save it as “Attacking tactic”

Step Nine

- Use these 3 Tactics in the Match Preparation

Before each game, I now choose what strategy I want to use, either by loading up the correct version or by just tweaking the Strategy of the Normal Tactic ( I prefer this option).

In my opinion, the more defensive and Attacking approaches brought by the TC comes with a flaw and its that the Strategy change has a double impact and I want to avoid this.

Example – Defensive

When we use this strategy, we sit deeper, the players look for t-balls and fwruns forward much more seldom and as the players mentality is also lower, it means that they will play even more cautious and are less likely to look for these t-balls. Movement into channels etc.

Example: Attacking Strategy

Same thing here, only now we are playing too attacking. We look for more t-balls and forward runs but as the mentality setting are much higher, they are doing this at every coast and in combination with the low time wasting that make the players make rasher decisions, the attacks are too often made in haste.

As I explained, I use either Counter, Balanced or Control in this Framework and therefore, we never get too Defensive or Attacking when switching to these Strategies in-game or when making Shouts but instead only get the good benefit of these sideline instructions

Time for the Match

Now, I can either start the match with a different strategy, a strategy change that does not effect the mentality of the players, The effect that is has is the settings of the players, their tendency to make fwruns, hit t-balls or hold on to the ball and make safer passers etc, without having this double effect that the normal strategy change brings.

I play as Birmingham, 2ND season and whilst having a pretty strong team that should finish top 8, we are no way near teams like City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, Pool and Spurs. I have chosen the Standard/Control as my Framework but against these teams, I have played mostly with Defensive sideline instructions ( Defensive or Counter Strategy and more cautious shouts). Against lesser teams at home, I ten to start with the Tactic as it is and make shouts depending on what I See in the game. Perhaps play Wider, Exploit the flanks or try Overlaps to bring out the bombing fullbacks.

This approach has brought me much more joy to the game

Wide Diamond using a Target Man.

( not finished product)

The approach is the same as in the quote beneath. Here, I have uploaded 3 tactics. The Control versions is the one to use and tweak by changing strategy and using shouts. The other 2 are the ones I use in the match preparation along with the Control version ( not current tactic). In the end, there is no need to actually use more than the Control version( of my tacticfiles) as you can make the tweaks yourself by just changing the strategy and re-save the tactic under a different name, all depending on what strategies you want to use. Control, Defensive and Attack are just the ones that suites me the best in match preparation as we cover both slow, medium and quick tempo as well as narrow, medium and wide width

We use normal wingers that looks for space and with rather attacking wingbacks that supports the wingers rather then making runs ahead of the ball. In the center of the park, we have a hardworking and defensive DMC that needs to be up for the job of covering large areas. The AMC drops deep and acts like a linkman. Up front, we use a strong Target Man in the FCleft position and this man is the main scorer. His partner has a tweaked role and drags the opposition apart, often setting up the Target Man

DOWNLOAD LINK

Recent result, 2nd season

brumtable2ndseason.png

I actually played for a few hours last night, using the TC in a slightly different way than in these plug & shout tactics.

Basically, I used in a way that I intent to for the coming time and this is how..

Step one

- Use the formation that suits the current squad

Step Two

- .Use the roles that suits the players and the player Duties. Use a Philosophy and Strategy that suit the current ability and status of the club but stay away from the more attacking and defensive versions. I consider Counter, Balanced and Control to be the only 3 that works in this approach that I am to explain

Step Three

- Save the tactic

Step Four

- Make the mentality of all the players “fixed” so that they don’t change when changing strategy. i.e, tick their mentality and set it just as it was before ticking it

Step Five

- Do the same with the Closing Down only this time, set it on a slightly higher notch than in the middle

Step Six

- Save the Tactic as “ Normal Tactic”

Step Seven

- Change the strategy to a more defensive one and save it as “Defensive Tactic”

Step Eight

- Once again change the Strategy to a more attacking one and save it as “Attacking tactic”

Step Nine

- Use these 3 Tactics in the Match Preparation

Before each game, I now choose what strategy I want to use, either by loading up the correct version or by just tweaking the Strategy of the Normal Tactic ( I prefer this option).

In my opinion, the more defensive and Attacking approaches brought by the TC comes with a flaw and its that the Strategy change has a double impact and I want to avoid this.

Example – Defensive

When we use this strategy, we sit deeper, the players look for t-balls and fwruns forward much more seldom and as the players mentality is also lower, it means that they will play even more cautious and are less likely to look for these t-balls. Movement into channels etc.

Example: Attacking Strategy

Same thing here, only now we are playing too attacking. We look for more t-balls and forward runs but as the mentality setting are much higher, they are doing this at every coast and in combination with the low time wasting that make the players make rasher decisions, the attacks are too often made in haste.

As I explained, I use either Counter, Balanced or Control in this Framework and therefore, we never get too Defensive or Attacking when switching to these Strategies in-game or when making Shouts but instead only get the good benefit of these sideline instructions

Time for the Match

Now, I can either start the match with a different strategy, a strategy change that does not effect the mentality of the players, The effect that is has is the settings of the players, their tendency to make fwruns, hit t-balls or hold on to the ball and make safer passers etc, without having this double effect that the normal strategy change brings.

I play as Birmingham, 2ND season and whilst having a pretty strong team that should finish top 8, we are no way near teams like City, Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, Pool and Spurs. I have chosen the Standard/Control as my Framework but against these teams, I have played mostly with Defensive sideline instructions ( Defensive or Counter Strategy and more cautious shouts). Against lesser teams at home, I ten to start with the Tactic as it is and make shouts depending on what I See in the game. Perhaps play Wider, Exploit the flanks or try Overlaps to bring out the bombing fullbacks.

This approach has brought me much more joy to the game

Regarding the 4-4-1-1 tactic, how essential is the poacher to the tactical set-up? I'm playing a mid-level club with European aspirations but it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to get a poacher with more than 14 acc/pace which keeps in line with my self imposed salary cap. However I do have a bunch of brilliant target men and a semi-decent advanced forward with 14/14 acceleration and pace. If I switched the forward from poacher to target man would the tactic still "do it" for me? I know pace and acceleration are key attributes in FM2011 but I would appreciate an answer or a guesstimate :)

Regarding the 4-4-1-1 tactic, how essential is the poacher to the tactical set-up? I'm playing a mid-level club with European aspirations but it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to get a poacher with more than 14 acc/pace which keeps in line with my self imposed salary cap. However I do have a bunch of brilliant target men and a semi-decent advanced forward with 14/14 acceleration and pace. If I switched the forward from poacher to target man would the tactic still "do it" for me? I know pace and acceleration are key attributes in FM2011 but I would appreciate an answer or a guesstimate :)

I have used a Target man as well and it has worked like a charm

This may be a stupid question and I apologise in advance...

In the opening post you have spoken about the attacking and cautious shouts that you would employ with the Narrow Diamond.. Do you class these as seperate tactics or tactics that should be changed during each match depending on how things are going?

This may be a stupid question and I apologise in advance...

In the opening post you have spoken about the attacking and cautious shouts that you would employ with the Narrow Diamond.. Do you class these as seperate tactics or tactics that should be changed during each match depending on how things are going?

All shouts are "ingame" tweaks to respond to things happening on the field. If you want to tactically micromanage the game, you could start all matches in full mode and slow mode and make the shouts at soon as after 2-5 minutes if being nervous about that away game at Old trafford etc.

As the uploaded tactics in the first post are "plug & shout", I never change anything pregame. In the most recent one( a few posts up), I do though

TBH in step four and step five can u tell me how much for the slider? thanx

mentality:

i use the one that suits my team: If i want to play Fluid, Control and with lots of players on support duty, then the mentality is one, if i chose to play Rigid, Balanced with lots of players on defensive duties, then its another. Their mentality should be exactly the same as when "untweaked". But my main point is to use Counter, Balanced or Control to decide the mentality framework and not Defensive or Attack to avoid the double impact the mentality has on the players actions

Closing Down:

I use it just a few notches higher than in the midle

I give it a try to the Narrow Diamond tactic with Hull City and it seems the results are ok (only 9 games played).

TBH, did you post somewhere the training you are using ? Do you recommand one that suits better the ND tactic ?

I don't pay much attention to training. I just try to sign good coaches and upgrade the facilities. As for training suiting the tactic, i don't think there is one as the tactic is more of an example of the approach and i expect users to change the player roles etc.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey BetterHalf. I've been following your tactics for a while now and while not using them directly i've been basing mine around alot of your methods. I've just been going over your settings for your latest one, the wide diamond and am curious. You have "Hold up ball" disabled on your targetman and DM, which i assume is to make your play more fluid and counter teams quicker. But on your wingbacks you have it enabled, whats the reasoning behind this?

Secondly. For the most part you play a short passing game, but you've overidden it for your AM and have him on direct. I'd understand having the player who is likely to be linking the strikers up with the rest of the team on mixed but what made you decide to go direct?

Cheers.

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, Happy New Year TBH.

The wide systems above remind me so much of the TT&F FM 2006 Diamond 4 way systems (remember them ??) Seems to work perfectly logically, looking forward to giving these a go. I may tweak the shape slightly, maybe move to 2 CM's and "freeze" more of the settings.

Great work again...

TBH, a couple of questions if you don't mind...

I set up 3 tactics, (Balanced, Counter & Control). First match of the season a really tough game away at Hull (I'm Leeds) I had a decent first half catching them on the counter attack and went 2-0 up. They scored a minute before half time, what would you have suggested at 2-0 ahead away from home? Counter didn't seem to work.

Do you think Balanced, Counter & Control is sufficient, or should you build defensive & attack also ?

Ta

TBH, a couple of questions if you don't mind...

I set up 3 tactics, (Balanced, Counter & Control). First match of the season a really tough game away at Hull (I'm Leeds) I had a decent first half catching them on the counter attack and went 2-0 up. They scored a minute before half time, what would you have suggested at 2-0 ahead away from home? Counter didn't seem to work.

Do you think Balanced, Counter & Control is sufficient, or should you build defensive & attack also ?

Ta

I use all strategies and shouts and perhaps setting up Defensive, balanced and Attack could be one option. this way, the teams learns high and low d-lines, slow and fast tempo, playing wide and narrow and with/without counter attacks

Here is a quick update on the tactic I am using atm, 11.2, Its a flat 442 and its been used with Burnley and Burnley only

DOWNLOAD LINK, FLAT 442

STRATEGY AND PHIL. = Standard, Balanced

TWEAKED SETTINGS - The closing down of the team is fixed and the mentality of the Mcs and DCs

SHOUTS

To play more attacking

STRATEGY - CONTROL

SHOUTS - EXPLOIT FLANKS and/or PLAY WIDER

To break down more cautious opponents by playing in a more controlling manor

SRTATEGY - CONTROL

SHOUTS - RETAIN POSSESSION and TRY OVERLAPS, Sometimes also DROP DEEPER but not against teams using a AMcor a false nine

To punish and counter an opponent that press high and attacks you

STRATEGY - COUNTER

SHOUTS - GET BALL FORWARD, PLAY MORE NARROW, PUSH UP

To play more cautious and keep possession whilst still trying to attack when the opportunity arises

STRATEGY - COUNTER

SHOUTS - RETAIN POSSESSION, TAKE A BREATHER, PLAY MORE NARROW, PASS TO FEET

ROLES

Attack

Right - the more complete

Left -Poacher

Midfield

Right winger:Hugs touchline and makes crosses

Left winge: Moves into channels

Right MC: More creative, deeper in the field

Left MC: HUB, higher in the field

Defence

Nothing special

Great stuff, been looking forward to this one, will report back!!

Looking forward to the feedback. Its been working really well or me with Burnley ( top of the table and beat Spus in the FA Cup, I held 67 % possession :D ). I just tried it for 15 matches with Stoke as well and we lost only once, 7-7-1.

yea i started of at Burnley using your old David Villa 4-4-2 with sylvan Wiltord as the traq, got promoted and after 6 months in then premier league I took the job at Bayern Munich!.

I'm looking to tweak your new 4-4-2 as i have some great attacking wingers (Ribery and Robben!) and it would be a shame to not use them, will be looking for some more attacking runs, getting forward more without sacrificing the high possession stats that your tactics bring. Also do you think that their is the flexibility in this tactic to introduce a target man, playing alongside a poacher/Riot FC, with the wingers feeding him, or will the crossing etc lead to to much lost possession?

This thread will be closed as I am from here on will be discussing tactics rather than uploading, If anyone still want support on those that are indeed uploaded, don't hesitate to add me on msn....thebeha@live.se

Thanks for everything !

Edit: Well, since it not entirely true...

• 1 month later...
Welcome back!!

Thanks ! As written, I am currently re-writtin the opening post, using post number 3 as a worksheet. I was thinhking about the following layout

Plug & shout vs. Plug & Play versions

All tactics are uploaded as plug & play versions, meaning that no tweaks are needed at all using the current settings. In fact, few of the shouts will have any effect at all as they are overridden by the fixed individual settings. But for those that wants to enjoy the game to its full, a plug & shout version will be included in the rarfile that is up for download together with a readme with hints about shouts and change in strategy

Frameworks and general approach

The Tactics

• Flat 442
  • 424 AMR/L
  • Narrow Diamond
  • Wide Diamond
  • Square Box - DMC/MC
  • Rectangular Box DMC/AMC
  • Narrow 4231
  • Wide 4231
  • Narrow 4123
  • Narrow 41311