Worst good player you've had?

Not on the level of most of these, but Edgar Cani for Bath in the Championship. He had a great half season after I initially got him, but he's been poor this year. With a small squad and no money I expected more than 27 apps and 7 goals.

Whilst not in the same league as many of the other players mentioned, I managed to pick up Anton Ferdinand on a free transfer for my Mansfield side in the Championship.

He was awful. I lost count of the number of mistakes he made that led to goals. I sold him after just 6 months. His average rating was about 6.2 when he left.

He came very highly rated by my scouts, and despite the mistakes my assistant gave him 4 stars and said he'd be a leading star for most Championship sides.

You sold him after just 16 games?? Harsh.

I give players a lot more time, especially younger ones which is what I tend to buy. Even bigger signings get at least a season to do something and try and fit in.

He just got nowhere near acceptable and there was a 17 year old gem available for the same price that I got for him.

i signed bolatelli for 27 millon in my old save and in his first season he scored 7 goals in 29 appearences with an average ratinf of 6.35

Thats unlucky mate. Signed him on my spurs save and he was banging them in :)

A German regen called Fabien Kramer. He had established stats for a DM, was a legend for Dortmund by the age of 25 and i splashed £50 Million to bring him to the EPL. Great flop, averaged just over 6.5 over 3 seasons but managed to sell him to Inter where he is a star player!

Akinfeev GK. Signed on a free for my Oxford side in January 2019. He was cup tied for the CL so i couldn't register him for the knock out stages but depsite this he wanted to leave within days of arriving because i didn't register him.

For the rest of his 3 year contract he had the message 'dislikes you and finds you difficult to work with' on his personal screen and he ended up leaving on a free and wouldn't renew his contract. In the few games he did feature in he was awful as his moral was always poor.

I guess this was more of a bug in the game regarding being unhappy at not being registered for the CL as i couldn't, but still it was a real waste of the £51k a week i paid him for 3 years to warm our bench.

I've been pretty lucky. Can't remember a player I've signed in '10 whos been bad. Probably my worst signing would be Witsel for ~£12m in my Ajax game (IIRC it was at the beginning of the '14/15 season but it might've been a year earlier). He's not been bad, but nor has he really shone. Consistent ratings of 6.8-6.9, with a few goals or assists. He's still a useful part of my squad, but for that price, and indeed with his attributes, I'd expect him to perform better in the Eredivisie at least.

I bought Ansaldi on the last day of the transfer window for 33M because I was desperate for a right and left back before the window shut and he could play both positions. He was absolutely awful and I sold him 2 seasons later for 6M :( on the plus side I was Manchester City so it didn't really matter much.

Aguero, 60 mln Euro. 20 goals in 3 full seasons(~100 games). Fortunately I sold him to Arsenal for 66, so it was a bit of luck at all.... Of course in Arsenal he scored 23 in 30 matches -_-

To make a popular forum quote: "It's your tactics!"

Mesut Özil bought him for 25mil and he finished with an average league rating of 6.2 and total average including cups of 5.9. He didn't settle that well at the start and i changed tactics to try and help him. It worked for one game where he was amazing and then a few others, but i just gave up on him and he'd pop back with a good performance. Started the second year with him and he was still under performing. I decided to be cheeky and offer him out to clubs for 28mil...Real Madrid accepted within a few hours:D He's playing just as bad for them now.

Mesut Özil bought him for 25mil and he finished with an average league rating of 6.2 and total average including cups of 5.9. He didn't settle that well at the start and i changed tactics to try and help him. It worked for one game where he was amazing and then a few others, but i just gave up on him and he'd pop back with a good performance. Started the second year with him and he was still under performing. I decided to be cheeky and offer him out to clubs for 28mil...Real Madrid accepted within a few hours:D He's playing just as bad for them now.

Hmm that's strange, Ozil played very well for me when I bought him for Manchester City. I guess tactics have a big say in how well a player performs at any given club.

Prob Ibrahimovic, signed for 95m and couldnt break 20 goals

like in real life in Barcelona! ^^

Dzeko is a huge player, which performs great in the most of (but not every) savegames.

----

Cristiano Ronaldo is a underperformer in a lot of saves.

Fernando Torres, too

Edit: Mesut Özil is not that strong in the first 1-2 seasons. CA: 144 or something

He really needs time to develope.

I signed Ozil on my united save and he finished the season with an average rating of 7.89, 16 assists and 10 goals. He was named world footballer of the year and he cost me £24 million. I sold him two seasons later for £90 million to Real. :)

Aguero, 60 mln Euro. 20 goals in 3 full seasons(~100 games). Fortunately I sold him to Arsenal for 66, so it was a bit of luck at all.... Of course in Arsenal he scored 23 in 30 matches -_-

I had him for 3 seasons. Must have scored at least 25 goals each year and won numerous player of the year awards. I retrained him for AML, he played as an AMC/AML and ST for me, was devastating all the time! Sometimes things just don't work out, I had that with Dzeko.

And you just keep thinking, 'DO SOMETHING'.

Archived