So er its all been a bit crap so far.

Eoghan_M

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On another note you have to be the most biased person on this forum regarding this World Cup, way more biased than those you jump on for criticizing anything about this WC.

Tbf i have come on Sigames forums and defended two African cup of nations and a Copa-America from fans who are brutally against them for reasons unknown.

On my old account i remember being very vocal in defending Japan/South Korea 2002 when people complained abouth them being boring and the stadiums being empty.

I am constantly speaking to people who are having first hand experiences of the cup and i am enjoying the feel of it more than the 5 which i had been old enough to witness prior to this.

Why do you hate your country? How can you be French and support Spain? :confused:

It's full of French people :p More seriously, I just don't like the French mentality and never really felt like I belonged there growing up if that makes sense. I don't remember this as I was too young but my mom even told me a couple of years ago that when I was 8 or so I told her that I didn't like France and wanted to get out of there. As soon as I was old enough I did and don't plan on going back.

I support Spain because my best friend is Spanish and that I spent quite a bit of time there with him so it felt like a more natural choice than France.

I would have thought Algeria would have been the obvious choice, or have I got that completely wrong?

:D

Tbf i have come on Sigames forums and defended two African cup of nations and a Copa-America from fans who are brutally against them for reasons unknown.

On my old account i remember being very vocal in defending Japan/South Korea 2002 when people complained abouth them being boring and the stadiums being empty.

I am constantly speaking to people who are having first hand experiences of the cup and i am enjoying the feel of it more than the 5 which i had been old enough to witness prior to this.

So you're basically proving my point. Just like for some unknown reasons some people don't want the WC outside of Europe for other unknown reasons it makes you happy to have the cup outside of Europe.

fwiw I think the WC should alternate based on time zone rather than continents. Once on the American continent (North or South) once in Europe/Africa and once in Asia/Oceania. Out of the past 4 WC three have been in the European time zone which means games are during the day in America and most people are at work. It must be even worse in Japan as games are probably in the middle of the night for them. :thdn:

It's full of French people :p More seriously, I just don't like the French mentality and never really felt like I belonged there growing up if that makes sense. I don't remember this as I was too young but my mom even told me a couple of years ago that when I was 8 or so I told her that I didn't like France and wanted to get out of there. As soon as I was old enough I did and don't plan on going back.

I support Spain because my best friend is Spanish and that I spent quite a bit of time there with him so it felt like a more natural choice than France.

So how long did you live in France, and how long in Spain?

What about the USA? Do you feel any connection to their national team?

What nationality are your parents out of interest?

Sorry if it's a lot of questions. I'm just curious.

I was born and raised in France, left just after my 21st Bday to move to the US and am now 28 so have been here for 7 years. I never actually lived in Spain but I would go there for a week or two every other month for my last few years in Europe. My parents are both 100% French, born and raised and of French parents too.

I absolutely love the US and I do support their national teams as well. I'd probably support the US against anyone except for Spain.

So you're basically proving my point. Just like for some unknown reasons some people don't want the WC outside of Europe for other unknown reasons it makes you happy to have the cup outside of Europe.

I don't think he is biased, it's just that he goes "against the flow" by defending African football, and so at first glance it gives the wrong impression as his opinions are not the usual ones we find here (mostly Euro-centric or Anglo-centric opinions, for obvious reasons).

fwiw I think the WC should alternate based on time zone rather than continents. Once on the American continent (North or South) once in Europe/Africa and once in Asia/Oceania. Out of the past 4 WC three have been in the European time zone which means games are during the day in America and most people are at work. It must be even worse in Japan as games are probably in the middle of the night for them. :thdn:

I like this idea, it's really been very annoying this year that games are being played at 8:30, 11:00 and 15:30 instead of at later times.

I don't think he is biased, it's just that he goes "against the flow" by defending African football, and so at first glance it gives the wrong impression as his opinions are not the usual ones we find here (mostly Euro-centric or Anglo-centric opinions, for obvious reasons).

I understand and appreciate that but it seems to me (and I could be wrong as I don't know him that well of course) that he is going against the flow to go against the flow rather than going against the flow because his reasoning led him to that conclusion.

I like this idea, it's really been very annoying this year that games are being played at 8:30, 11:00 and 15:00 instead of at later times.

It was pretty much the same times in 06 as well, that's my biggest grief against having the WC in South Africa right after Germany, had it been Brazil in 2010 and SA in 2014 I'd be much happier.

Two wrong don't make a right mate.

France robbing Ireland was a disgrace and I was the first one to complain about it. I probably want France out of this WC more than any of you. I literally spent hours jumping up and down and singing "Mexico, Mexiiiiico" last night :D

I would say me and most of the Irish wanted France out more than you. I mean we had the chance to follow our country in the World Cup but because of Henry we didn't

It's not a competition though:p

Yeah that was probably an over-statement Duffman but you got the point, we're both happy, let's cheers to Mexico. I'll go get another Corona from the fridge :D

I would go and get a beer from the fridge, but all there is is Budweiser :(

I'm sure we will both be supporting Ghana next game :thup:

Slovakia-New Zealand and Paraguay-Italy were much worse...

Both those goals had goals and more chances. England v Algeria had nothing. I watched it with a projector and I may as well had watched the screen blank than that game.

has anyone blamed the ball yet?

looks to me like its pointless shooting from any further out than 10 yards as the ball will just bend wide like a flyaway. the reluctance to shoot from most teams seems to point at the ball being terrible.

this ball is ruining the WC

cant wait for the first penalty shootout :D

I definitely wanted at least one African World Cup i admit but i am not just going gainst the flow. Most opinions on here are very Euro based due to the demographic of the forum.

I see a lot of these things from a different point of view and i love variety in culture. Too much criticism has been made of anything that has had a detrimental effect on the European teams.

They have blamed the ball despite it being used in at least 4 competitions with no ill effects, they have blamed the altitude (The confed cup was held here last summer), they have blamed the Vuvuzelas (They are there during ACON & African champions league games and did not stop exciting footie at the Confed Cup), they called it boring (It is far from that).

If you went to a thread full of African fans your opinion would be in the minority even moreso than mine is here.

Wait, what opinion of mine would be in the minority on a forum with a majority of African fans?

Other than that I agree with the obvious Euro biased of the forum (which I don't think I can be accused of with what I said in this thread) and I agree that some people are criticizing this WC just because but you don't seem to recognize the difference between those who do that and those who criticize this WC like they would any other in the same situation.

fwiw the only two things I complained about are 2 consecutive WC being in the same time zone (so I wouldn't want it in Europe either) and about too many local fans and not enough fans of the teams playing in the stadiums (and I'd say the same thing if the stadium was full of Chinese, Americans, Frenchies, Spaniards... so it's nothing against SA or Africa in general.)

Wait, what opinion of mine would be in the minority on a forum with a majority of African fans?

"about too many local fans and not enough fans of the teams playing in the stadiums"

The increase in locals is mainly due to a lot of fans choosing not to travel to South Africa mainly due to the instructions of their local embassies.

As for the opinion i was referring too, you stated i seemed to be biased towards this World Cup, but if i was in an African dominated forum no one would see it that way. My comments would come across as part of the general consensus.

I haven't checked but do you have the figures for how many foreign fans traveled to this WC compared to the previous ones?

Dont have figures for other World Cup but the South African tourism board said they recieved only 180 thousand more visitors than in the same period in the last 2 years. They expected 750 thousand and are on course for way less than half that.

The global climate has not helped either but the literature from the embassies which was the subject of an SABC dicumentary has not helped at all. Some of the comments were less than subtle stay away instructions.

fwiw I think the WC should alternate based on time zone rather than continents. Once on the American continent (North or South) once in Europe/Africa and once in Asia/Oceania. Out of the past 4 WC three have been in the European time zone which means games are during the day in America and most people are at work. It must be even worse in Japan as games are probably in the middle of the night for them.

I understand where you are coming from but FIFA probably have European audiences as a priority and that's pretty much the reason why they always want World Cups to suit the European audiences. To be honest the 2002 World Cup didn't really suit European audiences as much as the last two have been, If I remember correctly the games were something like 7.30am, 10am and 12.30pm which gives you no prime-time audiences (unlike this and the Germany World Cup) so it wasn't completely compatible but it allowed FIFA to get the tournament in another continent to push their "world of football" message

incidentally I loved getting up in the middle of the night to watch games in USA 94, I was usually knackered in the morning for school but seeing games when players like Hagi shined were just great to watch, best World Cup in the last 20 years :cool:

Cheers for that but tbf having safety concerns in South Africa isn't exactly a crazy idea either.

Not at all crazy, i agree with you on that, as the crime rates are actually going up not down.

I just felt it was OTT but looking at it again, the embassies priorities are their citizens and not the World Cup.

I just hope they dont do the same to Brazil, as they have a few issues with crime but i trust them to have a very secure World Cup.

I hated 2002 because of that, atleast in 94 I was already up and could just go to bed later. 2002 was horrible though but it must be crap if your Australian and almost all world cups are at **** o'clock.

To be honest the 2002 World Cup didn't really suit European audiences as much as the last two have been, If I remember correctly the games were something like 7.30am, 10am and 12.30pm which gives you no prime-time audiences (unlike this and the Germany World Cup) so it wasn't completely compatible but it allowed FIFA to get the tournament in another continent to push their "world of football" message

Those are exactly the starting times in this time zone this time around. Someone's always going to have that.

I don't mind getting up early for games on week-ends but during the week I'm at work for every single game :(

Korea 2002 must have been a lot worse for the US audience if Europe had mid-morning kick offs :D 2.30am, 5am and 7.30am for the matches (EST I mean)? unless you are a night owl, you are probably missing most of those games

I happened to be in England for '02 so was ok for me as didn't need to work and stuff. I like it when I can work a normal life around the games, this one is fine for me, it's only 10 or 11 days of those early kick offs and 3 games per day anyway

This is surely one of the most open World Cups in years? I'm loving it, I've not seen many World Cups (just the two in fact, one really because I was 10 in 2002) but this is obviously unfolding into a brilliant tournament.

Talking of stupid times zones. I have seen about bugger all games so far due to the time's :(. It's alright getting up at 4am to watch a team you support but I'm not staying up that late to watch a random match if I'm going to be doing something the following day.

I have always managed to make sure I have decent time zones for the World Cup in the past but this time I managed to end up with **** o clock.

Archived