Heading over the bar

It probably happens a bit too often, however at the end of the day it's only a minor issue as it's still possible to get a lot of headed goals. At the end of the day, it's probably used as a way of reducing the dominance that having a forward with high jumping could potentially have, as winning headers is generally down to that attribute. Back in CM 03/04, jumping was king, as basically any header in the box was a goal, so having a striker with good aerial stats, and the wingers to provide him, it was basically a guaranteed goal a game from a cross in and a header. Then corners on top of that, it made the game far too easy.

It probably happens a bit too often, however at the end of the day it's only a minor issue as it's still possible to get a lot of headed goals. At the end of the day, it's probably used as a way of reducing the dominance that having a forward with high jumping could potentially have, as winning headers is generally down to that attribute. Back in CM 03/04, jumping was king, as basically any header in the box was a goal, so having a striker with good aerial stats, and the wingers to provide him, it was basically a guaranteed goal a game from a cross in and a header. Then corners on top of that, it made the game far too easy.

Well IRL a player like crouch wins most headers lets say must doesnt mean he scores the keeper saves he can miss head it he can score there is a range of things which can happen from a header, but just because you have a player who can head the ball shouldnt mean he should go over the bar.

Gone up massively in my game too and it drives me up the wall. One of the first things you are taught as a kid is to head the ball down, you'd never know it in this game.

I thought the 'one on one' issue in the 2nd patch was bad, this is 50 times worse as you don't even make the keeper work. What angers me most about it is that there is nothing you can do to stop it. I can't even make them spend day after day practicing heading the ball down.

I've let my contract with Huddersfield expire as I really couldn't take it any more. I had a team full of world stars but no matter how many great headers of the ball I signed, it made no difference. I have never felt so annoyed by an FM Manager game as I do now becuase of this issue. I'm in two minds as whether to go back to 08 or re-intall this version and only install the 2nd patch.

Being honest it's not the only reason for me hating this patch. I'm also sick to death of seeing my striker head off to the corner flag instead of going for goal. I know they were looking for a solution to strikers failing to convert one on ones, but seriously, turning them into wingers! Pathetic.

Depends on what sort of header it is.

Imagine two types of headers:

a) player runs, jumps and heads ball (attack-far/near post-type of header). It means that player has a lot of speed, his not able to control heading too much and his momentum is pointed forward. Header going over the bar from that situation is very common.

b) player stands, jumps and heads. This time header is weaker, but more controlled and usually directed towards goal. It very often can even bounce on the ground before reaching goalmouth. This type of header is also common with floating crosses.

I see many headers going over the bar from corners, but I don't mind because my header is set to attack far post. If there's a floater, it's usually on target or even wide (yes, I've seen those too).

No question about this - happens way to often.

I have sat ironically cheering when it happens whilst waiting in expectation. I have at times wanted to execute every last mo fo striker in my team.

Having said that, I did check - whilst search for a new striker - and found my strikers average 12/12 on heading/jumping. So I brought in a 17/18 who should hopefully - but doubtfully as I think it must be game engine related or something (?!) - head the ball into the net more regularly.

Ive found they miss alot of headers, and read alot of forums about goals from corners etc.

But what I have noticed is that at the end of the season most of the stats for the league, ie Goals from free kicks, corners, even headed goals all seem to be very realistic.

On a side note, if the headers went at the keeper and not over then people would be moaning about super keepers again....

Look at the overall picture and you will find its very well balanced, I do and it keeps my enjoyment of the game high

Whenever they're challenged* for the header it seems to go over. Whenever they're unchallenged they get a good header in.

* Challenged by a player, I mean, not mentally challenged. :o

Whenever they're challenged* for the header it seems to go over. Whenever they're unchallenged they get a good header in.

* Challenged by a player, I mean, not mentally challenged. :o

I think the problem is been mentally challenged for alot of my players lol

Yes, there have been many headers over the bar, even Crouch does it loads of times in real life.

But I've seen some fantastic headed goals & coupled with some good crosses. Also I've seen a good few brilliant saves from well executed headers. One was an almost exact copy of Gordan Bank's save from Pele in 1970. I had to replay it to see it to believe it.

Hey, If it's goals galore you want, go & play Pro Evolution or FIFA 10. I rather manage a team you know, picking the best players, taking in advice, where to apply the appropriate tactics, watch the match unfold & your effort is analysed at the season's end.

Agreed, it happens almost every time heading the ball from a corner.

How many times have we seen the likes of Rooney, J Terry, Crouch, Ferdinand, S Campbell along with all the best headers of the ball heading way over the bar? Loads.

True in FM2009/2010 loads of headers from corners end up wide or over, but I've seen some great headed goals from corners. I suppose I'd try & compile a video of the 10 best headed goals from FM2010 just to shut you all up.

:mad:

I have a striker with 19 heading and 17 jumping and labeled "towering striker" and even he sends it over the bar a fair bit. That said, I do think if much more were scored from headers it might get a bit unrealistic perhaps.

Archived