The Socceroos Thread...

William Hall

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The jersey looks like some High School PE kit. Much preferred the old one. Actually the old one is one of my favourite jerseys of all time.

Pim seems to quite like milligan, so it will probably be between him and moore to play alongside Neil.

Think Milligan would be a near cert to make the cut, Beauchamp probably wont? But then, i thought Colosimo should get in over Beauchamp...

Couldnt care less who the back up keepers are (although Langerak has just agreed terms with Borussia Dortmund supposedly and seems to be a good shout for the future) since if anything happens to Schwarzer, we are toast.

Kewell is only any good if 100% or near to 100% fit. Anything less and he becomes a liability. Sadly it seems Pim has taken his word for it that he will be fit and so will be on the plane. If he was going instead of someone like Holman then i wouldnt care so much, but if an Oar or Vidosic is cut to make way for an unfit Kewell...bah!

For those bagging the a-league, 11 out of that 31 have had some sort of association with the league. That number will probably only increase once the cup is over and the international retirements start rolling in. So you might as well get used to it.

Kewell is only any good if 100% or near to 100% fit. Anything less and he becomes a liability. Sadly it seems Pim has taken his word for it that he will be fit and so will be on the plane. If he was going instead of someone like Holman then i wouldnt care so much, but if an Oar or Vidosic is cut to make way for an unfit Kewell...bah!

This. Based on his contributions in this thread I don't think G-Man11 knows anything about Australian football.

On a related note, how Holman continues to be talked about as a national team player, let alone selected, is beyond me.

tbh Kewell should be on the plane, fit or unfit. When he's fit Cahill is the only player who can rival his ability and vidosic and oar are still very untested. I'd still love to see vidosic and oar there and playing as well as other young players but Kewell should be on the plane ahead of players like holman and carle who won't contribute nearly as much.

tbh Kewell should be on the plane, fit or unfit. When he's fit Cahill is the only player who can rival his ability and vidosic and oar are still very untested. I'd still love to see vidosic and oar there and playing as well as other young players but Kewell should be on the plane ahead of players like holman and carle who won't contribute nearly as much.

Exactly. I just don't want to put my faith in young untested players is all. And having seen the likes of Carle and Garcia in England and been far from impressed I think Kewell has to play. I know Cahill has easily been the better performer for us of the two but having seen them both play a lot at club level I know which one is the better player.

Of course I know little about the players playing in Australia, it's not exactly easy to follow the A-League whilst living in England. But having seen some of the imports play over here I also realise just how poor the league is. Something I think some people fail to realise. Look I'll be in Melbourne during the world cup so if you want to come and tell me what an idiot I am feel free :D;). At the end of the day we all just want to see Australia do well :thup:.

As for the keeping situation I'm rather hopeful in Danny Ireland. But that's probably just me being biased :D.

So, what should be the final 23? My opinion is as follows:

Schwatzer

Federici

Neill

Moore

Williams

Lowry

Carney

Chipperfield

Culina

Grella

Bresicano

Jedinak

Cahill

McDonald

Kennedy

Valeri

Kewell

Rukavytsya

Wilkshire

Milligan

Jones

Carle

Garcia

Is this a fair squad?

Schwatzer

Federici

Neill

Moore

Williams

Lowry

Carney

Chipperfield

Culina

Grella

Bresicano

Jedinak

Cahill

McDonald

Kennedy

Valeri

Kewell

Rukavytsya

Wilkshire

Milligan

Jones

Carle

Garcia

Is this a fair squad?

sounds about right but i reckon Holman will be in there unfortunately, and i hope Oar makes it in.

Schwatzer

Federici

Neill

Moore

Williams

Lowry

Carney

Chipperfield

Culina

Grella

Bresicano

Jedinak

Cahill

McDonald

Kennedy

Valeri

Kewell

Rukavytsya

Wilkshire

Milligan

Jones

Carle

Garcia

Is this a fair squad?

Dont think you will find many objections to that. But, yes. drop Garcia for Holman. The only other change might be Oar for Carle, which i think might happen.

Langerak is probably on track to be the next steady Socceroos #1 by the looks of it.

And I'd rather Pim pick A-Leaguers with game-time rather than players rotting away in Villa's or Hull's reserves...

I remember reading somewhere that Lowry had been effectively promised a spot in the WC squad by Pim. Something to do with him declaring for Australia over Ireland? Could be absolute rubbish of course. He has spent a fair bit of time out on loan this year, so he has been playing at least, but his inclusion (if it happens) still does seem a little odd. Especially over someone like Colosimo or Sasa Oganovski.

yes NZ next week

and then v Team USA

Also Denmark.

I would rather Ballack plays against us then, say, Trochowski. I know he has been playing well recently but i think we could handle him. I have not seen him play much, but the highlights of Mesut Ozil scare the crap out of me too, so anything which hopefully keeps him out of the starting XI is a plus.

yes NZ next week

and then v Team USA

Also playing Denmark.

I'm going to the World Cup. I'm realistic about our chances, there are no easy matches in this group but I also believe we have the ability to get a result against any or all of those teams. With all due respect, I think Germany are probably the weakest top seed we could have drawn other than South Africa. They do seem to just get results in big tournaments though.

People are talking as if Germany will walk the group with 9 points but I'm sure someone will get at least a draw against them and whoever that team is will be in the last 16.

Also playing Denmark.

I'm going to the World Cup. I'm realistic about our chances, there are no easy matches in this group but I also believe we have the ability to get a result against any or all of those teams. With all due respect, I think Germany are probably the weakest top seed we could have drawn other than South Africa. They do seem to just get results in big tournaments though.

People are talking as if Germany will walk the group with 9 points but I'm sure someone will get at least a draw against them and whoever that team is will be in the last 16.

yup and the Danes.

All the other teams are strong in our group, Ghana being the weakest of our opponents. I think we could first match upset the Germans but it will be a massive ask. Good for you for going to the WC I wish I could afford it one day. Hopefully we get 2018 or 2022.

Chelsea fans seem to continually call him a passenger though mind. Just playing for Chelsea doesn't equal being a good player.

Most Chelsea fans started watching football in June 2003 and are not the most knowledgeable.

Oh so they just thought that they would start watching football because some club had a rich owner :rolleyes:. If you want to make those sort of comments at least make it make sense. You know say something like they only started supporting Chelsea since 03.

Does anyone else think playing the Kiwis beforehand isn't the *greatest* of pre-WC friendlies? Personally would rather have played someone like the Croats, something that would prep us for a group stage side.

Also, what do people think of Rukavytsya starting against the Serbs simply because of his speed?

Serbia aren't a particularly slow side. No reason to play pace against them more then against any other team.

Maybe racking up a nice score against NZ will be good for confidence. I mean we are playing Denmark and USA who are both good sides.

Ballack has been woeful this year. No reason to be celebrating his injury.

Always tends to show up for the national team though, doesn't he? Not that I think anyone here thinks he alone will be the deciding factor in our match against Germany. :D

Odd you're playing the Yanks as there is a chance you could play them in the 2nd round of the tournament, teams usually shy away from friendlies against teams they may face at the actual tournament

Need US to probably top that group though. Much more likely is ultimate rivalry with England game.

...imagine how epic it will be if that happens.

Serbia aren't a particularly slow side. No reason to play pace against them more then against any other team.

Maybe racking up a nice score against NZ will be good for confidence. I mean we are playing Denmark and USA who are both good sides.

but with serbia all you need is someone to run at Vidic with a bit of speed and he'll do the rest for us. :D

As for playing NZ, i think its a bit pointless. We done so well in qualifying and at the WC in 2006 I think the players have plenty of confidence as it stands, besides it would be much better for their confidence just getting a draw against a top side in a friendly than walking over an A-League packed NZ side.

Spain have been saying that they're much more prepared because of their loss to the US at the Confederations Cup which injected a bit of realism and reduced their complacency, playing against NZ might only make us more complacent going into the world cup.

The kiwis came out this morning saying that the game on monday might be fiery. A few hard tackles might go in. Personally i hope so, would want a competitive match particularly since this is the only chance for many of the fringe players to win a place.

Hope the certified first teamers only get a half at most, to please the crowd, then the serious buisness can begin!

somebody kill me now and end my pain. K Rudd has to be the most cringeworthy person I have ever seen, I challenge you to find one worse...

He makes a fool of himself everyday and when he met the socceroos today it was another reminder why I should vote people on personality.

somebody kill me now and end my pain. K Rudd has to be the most cringeworthy person I have ever seen, I challenge you to find one worse...

He makes a fool of himself everyday and when he met the socceroos today it was another reminder why I should vote people on personality.

Challenge accepted! :D

889114-tony-abbott.jpg

What do you think of this as an expected line up tomorrow?

-------------Federici

Wilkshire--Neil--Moore---Carney

-----Grella----Jedinak

-Emerton-----Carle-----Ruka

--------- -McDonald

Its hard to tell with so many injuries coming into the game. Oar will probably come on for Ruka in the 2nd half, maybe Bresc for Emerton and Cahill for Carle?

Dunno. Moore hasnt played in ages so i can see him starting in order to get some match fitness.

Kiwi lineup has been announced

All Whites coach Ricki Herbert has tonight named the same team that started in the first qualifier in Bahrain to take on Australia at the MCG tomorrow night.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/football/world-cup/all-whites/3729425/All-Whites-stick-with-tried-and-true

He will stick with his 3-4-3 system, which includes a three-man backline with Ben Sigmund, Ryan Nelsen and Ivan Vicelich.

New Zealand will try to take the game to Australia with three strikers, Rory Fallon, Chris Killen and Shane Smeltz, while the midfield will be made up by Leo Bertos, Simon Elliot, Tim Brown and Tony Lochhead.

This looks like being fun!

Pom living in Melbourne so looking forward to the aussies doing well in the groups at least.

Anyone who lives here? Im a bar man at the Turf Bar on Queens Street and we've got all the games live, should be a top venue for it and a solid alternative to the Crown.

I hope the result doesnt distract from what was probably the worst national team performance i have seen since...well, i cant remember when. Especially bad since many of the players in the first half who you would imagine be first choices in Pims team, like Grella and Moore, were absolutely terrible. Grella in particular was disgusting, his two footed lunge on Bertos really ****ed me of. I hope Bertos is ok, looked bad after the Cahill tackle.

Second half was better, Holman looks a better option than McDonald at this point, despite their respective pedigrees, but both should go really. Beauchamp played well, as did Jedinak. Will be interesting to see how Pim reacts to this.

Game was truly awful. Particularly that Grella tackle, have no idea how that wasn't red carded.

Unfortunately wasn't all that surprising though, Pim treated the game more as a run out than anything. Still, created nothing and have no idea how we scored twice.

Archived