The Socceroos Thread...

William Hall

Australian%20flag.gif

brand.gif

A story of how Morocco future Youth director can manage a team to World Cup glory.

Manager

pim_verbeek_narrowweb__300x450,0.jpg

Pim Verbeek

Dutch

Previous International Teams Managed:

Netherlands Antilles

South Korea

Peter Tim Verbeek (born March 12, 1956 in Rotterdam, Zuid-Holland), more commonly known as Pim Verbeek is a Dutch football manager who is the head coach of the Australia national football (soccer) team. His brother Robert Verbeek is also a football coach.

Pim Verbeek has already signed up to be Youth Director at Morocco after World Cup

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Australian National Team Honours (top 3 in tournaments)

Socceroos

FIFA Confederations Cup - 2nd (1997), 3rd (2001)

OFC Nations Cup - Winners (1980,1996,2000,2004)

- Runners Up (1998,2002)

Trans Tasman Cup - Winners (1986,1988,1991,1995,2001)

AFC Men's Team of the Year - Winners (2006)

Unofficial Football World Championship - Winners (1992)

Virtual World Championship - Winners (2001)

Nasazzi's Baton - Winners (2001)

Matildas (Womens)

OFC Women's Championship - Winners (1995,1998,2003)

- Runners Up (1983,1986,1991)

- Third (1989)

AFC Women's Asian Cup - Winners (2010)

- Runners Up (2006)

Olyroos (Men's U23s)

Semi Finalists* (1992)

* = No Third Place Playoff

Young Socceroos (Men's U20s)

OFC Youth Championship - Winners (1978,1980,1982,1985,1987,1988,1990,1994,1996,1998,2001,2003,2005)

- Runners Up (1992)

AFC U19s Championship - Semi Finalists* (2008)

* = No Third Place Playoff

Young Matildas (Women's U20s)

No Honours

Joeys (Men's U17s)

OFC U17s Championships - Winners (1983,1985,1987,1989,1991,1993,1995,1999,2001,2003,2005)

- Runners Up (1997)

Futsalroos

No Honours

Australian national Beach Soccer Team

No Honours

Don't think Brad Jones will make it, Williams is around 50/50, Macca is already on the plane.

The bloke who has no goals for Australia? Really think he needs to up his game to stay in the team tbh.

Also could we perhaps merge this thread into here?

Second for the thread merger.

Josh Kennedy is Jesus. Literally. Look at the man.

But seriously, he's a superb target man, 3 in 6 games so far for Nagoya in Japan. I think he's superb up front - especially if you have Cahill or Kewell coming in behind as an attacking mid. Cahill especially, the guy can do anything.

Anyone questioning Josh Kennedy is an idiot. The guy should be one of the first names on the teamsheet - back in the warm-up games before 2006 he was outstanding and every time he's lead the line he's done so fantastically.

McDonald, however, is utterly terrible. Just a waste of space.

Anyone questioning Josh Kennedy is an idiot

Is this Josh, hasnt scored for the national team in 13 months, Kennedy you are talking about?

I have nothing against the guy, and there is absolutely no one out there seemingly pushing him for a first team place, but putting our faith in the guy to lead our campaign is a bit of a stretch imo. Prove me wrong Josh!

Otherwise the Aussie team is very...meh. I am very, very concerned about our chances. McDonald would be a good shout if we ever played with two up front...never gonna happen obviously. Its all down to Cahill! and Schwarzer! Hopefully Bresciano has a blinder as well.

Anyone got any opinions on the back pairing? Neil and...? Moore looks to have shot himself in the foot, Kisnorbo gone, Spira not playing, Coyne out of favour, Colosimo not playing currently at Heart, could it be Milligan at the back? Tis scary to have such an important part of the squad completely in the air at the moment. And the English whine about their defensive woes!

Hey I didn't say that! I'm not saying he's worldclass or anything but I think he's the best option we've got. As for defenders where is Michael Beuchamp these days?

sorry! an oddity with the quoting!

Beuchamp is in the Middle East i think, not sure where. Dont think he is playing either, rather like Griffiths while he was there.

He played in Germany. He knows how to exploit and destroy German defences.

I couldn't let this go. Clearly you didn't see him play in Germany. The only time he did reasonably well was in a mid-table Bundesliga II team.

The fact is we just don't have a top quality striker.

Wiki tells me his career in Germany, both Bundisliga I and II, 163 games played for 35 goals. His record in Japan aint brilliant either, 9 in 22.

bah. Are we better off using Cahill up front on his own, even though he has done pretty poorly in that role before? He is in good goalscoring form at the moment with Everton.

One of the positives about Kennedy is that he should be able to mark a guy like Vidic when defending a corner. Tis not much, but its something!

With Cahill and Kewell in the side we don't need a great scorer up front. We need someone who's big and can lead the line well and Kennedy is the best player we have to fill that role without Viduka.

• 2 weeks later...

Rhys Williams is a doubt for the world cup, has been playing with a injury for the last few months thats caused him to miss almost all forms of training.

:thdn: Mon boro having 3 players in the aussie squad, and 2 possibly 3 former players.

I heard Williams had been in quite poor form for the last few months? Though I suppose that's probably the injury.

If fit I expect both Williams and McDonald to be squad players for the world cup. Would rather we don't take Brad Jones though he's pretty ****.

Schwarzer >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Jones

****, Harry might miss it =/

I dont think there is any doubt that he wont go, is there?

I guess if Hargreaves is a chance of making the English squad then there is cause for speculating that Harry might make it...

Personally, given his injury record i would prefer Verbeek didnt take the chance and take someone like Oar, who might be able to pull of the remarkable (although the hype over the guy is way over the top to be fair).

With every passing day my pessimism over our chances deepens ):

Where has Williams been playing for Boro this season? I read that it was mostly in midfield? He hasnt exactly impressed in national team colours when played at the back...SBS are trying to start something of a drive to get Bosnar a spot, but Colosimo looks more likely. Think he is training at AZ Alkmaar at the moment. If its good enough for Culina, should be good enough for Colosimo to get a spot.

Harry Kewell is easily our best player. Oar isn't even in the same stratosphere as him for gods sake. I don't care how injury prone he is we have to take Kewell if he's even close to being fit.

Kewell >>>>>>>> Cahill >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Everyone else

Initial 31-man squad:

Michael Beachamp, Marco Bresciano, Tim Cahill, Nick Carle, David Carney, Scott Chipperfield, Jason Culina, Brett Emerton, Adam Federici, Eugene Galekovic, Richard Garcia, Vincenzo Grella, James Holland, Brett Holman, Mile Jedinak, Brad Jones, Joshua Kennedy, Harry Kewell, Shane Lowry, Scott McDonald, Mark Milligan, Craig Moore, Lucas Neill, Jade North, Thomas Oar, Nikita Rukavytsya, Mark Schwarzer, Carl Valeri, Dario Vidosic, Luke Wilkshire, Rhys Williams

Galekovic is included through dispensation as Schwarzer still has a match to play - he'll not be going to South Africa.

Kewell isn't remotely our best player. Putting him ahead of Cahill is laughable. Ten years ago, perhaps yes - now, not a chance.

He's much better than Cahill ffs. You really are an idiot.

I like Cahill but he's not good enough to play in a champions league team realistically, he's even out of favour with Everton fans ffs. Kewell on the other hand when actually fit is a very good player and would get into most teams. Blatantly blinded by his injury record at Liverpool.

Kewell - 2 champions league final's

Cahill - 0

But even if we accept that Cahill is better than Kewell he is still our 2nd best player and should realistically be in the squad even if not fully fit. It's not as if we've got hosts of players with champions league quality is it?

Oh and Powlay you know that Jones is **** :D.

I do know that he is a average league 1 goal keeper, but that doesnt take away from the fact behind Schwarzer he is probably the most talented aussie GK. Doesnt say a lot but hey its goot enough to be #2!

He's much better than Cahill ffs. You really are an idiot.

I like Cahill but he's not good enough to play in a champions league team realistically, he's even out of favour with Everton fans ffs. Kewell on the other hand when actually fit is a very good player and would get into most teams. Blatantly blinded by his injury record at Liverpool.

Kewell - 2 champions league final's

Cahill - 0

But even if we accept that Cahill is better than Kewell he is still our 2nd best player and should realistically be in the squad even if not fully fit. It's not as if we've got hosts of players with champions league quality is it?

Oh and Powlay you know that Jones is **** :D.

Kewell maybe was our best player 76 years ago but its 2010 now and its all about Timmeh. He's revered at Everton, scoring regularly and has saved Australia's bacon numerous times in the past 2 years. Kewell is a crocked, has-been is living off his Leeds days.

My problem with Kennedy is not the player himself but the how it seems to affect Australia's strategy, it brings out the worst in our players, long ball crap. Kennedy is a great outlet but he can't be the go to guy every time, for a start he's no Dukes he doesn't hold up the ball anywhere near as well, he scores goals sure but he's no link man. That being said I'd still play him, as who else is scoring? Macca would be a shout in a two man partnership but Pim as we all know is definitely going to play one man upfront, so he's out. I'm a big fan of Nikita but I don't think he's ready for this world cup, kid's got raw pace and he's not a bad finisher but I don't think he's quite ready for this, come 2014 I reckon he'll be the main man up front.

More worrying for me than our strike force is our defence. I seriously don't know who's going to be playing in CD, obviously there's Neill but then who else? As far as I can tell it's likely to be Williams, which doesn't really bode well given the caliber of our opponents in our group. Oh and if Pim play's Moore we'll get absolutely killed by anyone who has even the slightest bit of pace up front i.e. all of our opponents.

Does anyone think that Oar really deserve the hype he's been getting. The media seems to be constantly looking for the next big thing and these big things rarely seem to make the grade i.e. Burns.

Comparing Kewell and Cahill is silly really, completely different players with very different attributes.

Kewell maybe was our best player 76 years ago but its 2010 now and its all about Timmeh. He's revered at Everton, scoring regularly and has saved Australia's bacon numerous times in the past 2 years. Kewell is a crocked, has-been is living off his Leeds days.

Go into the Everton thread and you will see Cahill being slagged off regularly mate. Kewell was awesome for Galatasary last season so I don't see how he can be called past it? Don't get me wrong I like Cahill and think he's a great player but if he's not considered good enough for Evertons first 11 is all. Kewell may not be the player he was but he's still got the ability and I see no reason to leave someone of his ability out of the team. It's not as if he's in his mid 30's for christs sake.

Also as for Williams he plays in midfield for Boro so playing him at CB would be suicide tbh.

I don't know if you've seen Bosnich's FoxSports rundown, but he reckons we should take Langerak over Federici.

And mon Rhys Williams having his hip come good.

(Not to mention Nick Carle)

I'd take Langerak over Jones but it wont matter hugely. Third choice keepers rarely see action at WC.

I think in 2014 the GK position will be fought between Federici, Langerak and hopefully Bouzanis. Jones is a nothing selection

Archived