The Socceroos Thread...

William Hall

• Replies 331
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would really love us to play a diamond 4-4-2, but it won't happen. Kennedy and Rukavytsya up front with Cahill, Valeri, Emerton and Bresciano in midfield. Given the Serbs only play with Zigic up front we could also get a full back pushing on into midfield a lot of the time.

....and more rumours suggest Bresc will be dropped for either Chippers to start or Holman to be pushed out on the left.

Personally i am seriously coming to believe there might be more to the tales of the bust up in the camp than what has appeared so far. All the main protaganists, Grella, Bresc and Kewell are out for one reason or another. Kewell is obvious, Grella i am not so sure it is obvious, he might be suffering more from an 'injury' than a real injury, i.e. an easy excuse to withdraw him. And Bresc, well, his snub of Arnold and general demenaour would suggest all is not well.

Am prolly jumping at shadows, but it would go some way to explaining why we looked utterly lost against Germany with a few last minute tweaks to the line up and formation. Am thinking we will know all one way or another shortly after our exit...whenever that might be...Pim looks to be dying to snap at the Australian media for hounding him.

Wish i could watch this game, but have an exam straight after...sad...think we can win but Serbia must be favourites at this stage...heres hoping.

Nah Grella is genuinely injured, and apparently Pim thinks that Bresciano hasn't been in that great form - which is a fair criticism. Chipperfield has had a fantastic season so if we're playing Kennedy up front it makes sense to use a pacy winger to support him.

If we dont get through tonight, we can say goodbye to Grella, Chippers, and Moore, and most probably to Schwarzer, Kewell, and Bresc. Dont think I am forgetting anyone here...The only senior player who i know has come out and commited to playing on at the moment is Neil.

If we dont get through tonight, we can say goodbye to Grella, Chippers, and Moore, and most probably to Schwarzer, Kewell, and Bresc. Dont think I am forgetting anyone here...The only senior player who i know has come out and commited to playing on at the moment is Neil.

Kewell and Schwarzer haven't ruled out playing on, though father time will surely tap Schwarzer on the shoulder soon. Chippers and Moore are a given, while Grella hasn't played well in the last 18 months. That said, Grella and Bresciano are both younger than Cahill and Emerton.

Grella is taking a year off, dunno why Kewell would bother going on, dont think Bresc would bother either. Would hope we start thinking of replacing Schwarzer if not now then deffo after Asian Cup. Emo is the one i forgot! He would stick around i think.

As for the replacements...nowhere. The failure of so many players who leave the A-league to break into first team football in Europe is really holding us back. Tough job for whoever takes over.

The Future

Adam Federichi

Mitchell Langerak

Liegh Broxham

Tommy Oar

Michael Zullo

Carl Valeri

Mile Jedinak

Ryan McGowan

Rhys Williams

James Holland

Nikita Rukavytsya

Dario Vidosic

Shane Lowry

Scott McDonald

Matthew Spiranovic

Nathan Burns

James Troisi

Mitch Nicholls

Evan Berger

Luke Pilkington

Scott Jamieson

Adam Sarota

Now whether that's a Bright future is unknown but i believe these people should make up the long term future.

I was going to write a proper reply, but Leigh ****ing Broxham!!! C'mon man!!!

Evan Burger!! Wait, wait, i just saw you location...ok, ok, that explains it...

ahem, anyway, of those i count maybe 4 or 5 playing regularly in Europe, not necessarily in their respective top divisions either. Not pretty reading at the moment.

I was going to write a proper reply, but Leigh ****ing Broxham!!! C'mon man!!!

Evan Burger!! Wait, wait, i just saw you location...ok, ok, that explains it...

ahem, anyway, of those i count maybe 4 or 5 playing regularly in Europe, not necessarily in their respective top divisions either. Not pretty reading at the moment.

Four years ago Luke Wilkshire was getting a few games for Bristol City. With the right development anyone can come along. I'm hoping Tommy Oar is the next big one. The experience of being in the socceroos camp for the whole World Cup will hopefully help him.

Also forgot Rukavytsya. Young, the guy should be playing in the national team for a long time to come.

hopefully the next national manager plays 2 up front so Ruka can get a run in the team cause I reckon he needs to play off another striker like Mcdonald does.

Elated with the performance. That first game really cost us, but **** happens. Really stoked we signed off well and Holman's goal was a beauty.

yeah great game and you just feel as though we would have been through if we had a bit of luck against ghana.

Elated with the performance. That first game really cost us, but **** happens. Really stoked we signed off well and Holman's goal was a beauty.

Yep this.

As for the Cahill thing all I'm saying is that he isn't a striker and playing him up front means we aren't getting the most from our best player.

The Future

Adam Federichi

Mitchell Langerak

Liegh Broxham

Tommy Oar

Michael Zullo

Carl Valeri

Mile Jedinak

Ryan McGowan

Rhys Williams

James Holland

Nikita Rukavytsya

Dario Vidosic

Shane Lowry

Scott McDonald

Matthew Spiranovic

Nathan Burns

James Troisi

Mitch Nicholls

Evan Berger

Luke Pilkington

Scott Jamieson

Adam Sarota

Now whether that's a Bright future is unknown but i believe these people should make up the long term future.

Not the most inspiring bunch (ignoring the odd player) and I think we may be poor for a few years now. But interest in the sport has really boomed since 06 and I'm confident that we will start to see another bunch of good players in a few years time. We can probably right off doing much in 2014 but we might see a fairly decent team going into the 2018 world cup and if we can host it in 2022 we may be able to go a fair way in the tourney.

Overall I think we performed fairly well in this world cup if you ignore the Germany game. Pretty much ****ed up our whole tourney v Germany in the end :(.

Oh well time for me to support England now.

is there any true about Le Guen taking Soceroos? If happens, it would be huge step backwards... he is awful coach, did nothing worth of mentioning in his coach career (yes, he won Ligue 1 with best Lyon ever, but nothing with PSG, Rangers), and hiring him would make awful move, as like as Ivory Coast did with that jerk Eriksson :thdn:

I think the only thing that might be going in Le Guen's favour at the moment is that he might have agreed to spend most of the time in Australia, rather than basing himself in Europe like Pim did. With so many changes to the squad expected, the new coach really does need to spend more time here, dealing with the A-league, the youth teams, the AIS etc.

Asian Cup is in January, bugger all chance of all our best players being able to/wanting to make it, so more than ever we are going to have rely on players at home to fill gaps. Importantly a lot of A-league players will be match fit, unlike a lot of the European based players who have yet to make the grade and are not getting first team football, like Lowry, Ruka (wherever he ends up) etc. Its also better for the Manager to base himself here so he can watch the Asian leagues too, for guys like Kennedy, Milligan, Ognovski, Griffiths etc.

Thats the only reason why I could think we are chasing him atm. Otherwise i am as mystified as everyone else.

Archived