Football Manager Past Its Peak?

I played it on my PC. How did you play it?

Lending is not actually piracy, although as I say technically it infirnges upon IP. Same applies to your DVD films, its illegal to lend them to your brother.

You talk of evidence yet fail to give any when you claim FM09 is better than FM08. Give some reasons why. Is it the absurd press conferences that do it for you? Or maybe the absurd moments of goalkeeping captured your eye, Or was it that weird looking 3D match engine that really floated your boat?

Im curious.

Uh...

Actually it was the fact there were overall less bugs. The scoring rates of strikers were realistic rather than having countless strikers passing 35+ league goals in a season. The regens were as broken, you know, things like that.

The 3D match engine was a good touch, but it wasn't exactly the best, not the worst effort though considering it was their first one.

The press conferences were better than what preceeded them, but not really something I really care about either way. They sort of become white noise.

So, what was so good about FM 2008 over all the other ones, come on?

Was FM08 the real peak of the Football Manager series? Can S.I ever bring such an awesome edition along again? Or has 3D overshadowed everything that can be and was good about Football Manager?

I didnt buy FM2009 and I didnt buy FM2010 and I wont be buying FM2011 unless there are some serious changes to this database point and click game. Basically as long as the 3D match engine is around, My wallet wont be.

Of course some will say but the 3D view is just a wrapper around an already great Match Engine. I laugh at these points because if you cannot see with your own eyes how this 3D nonsense has compromised the match engine code, well I dont think you should be an armchair manager to begin with.

I will stick with FM08 for the foreseeable future, the greatest FM game around. I will leave the new buggy and flawed editions to the rest of you.

Football Manager has become about Quantity not Quality. Its bored me now.

I agree with the general idea that FM has passed its peak, though i disagree on the peak (for me it would be 2009), personal taste matter i think. But i disagree on your analysis. How can you judge and compare the game if you havent buy them ? If you only had a look, played quickly the demo, or just read forums, it cant be enough to have an objective mind. Give it a chance.

Besides, 3D can be disallowed so what's the .. point ?? And ignoring a game only for one feature, despite all its other new features, i would find that harsch.

Anyway, I believe in SI as they always managed to release a better game year after year IMO, this year excepted. They managed to think of and add features i was dreaming of or hoping, even if they keep forgetting some. Then, maybe because they were too confident with some of their new features, or they felt the new features werent enough to guarantee the buy from a few fans (most of us would have bought it anyway), they took lots of risks in adding (or trying) some features. For me, 2010 is just a beta version in the meantime of 2011, where they will pick which features from 2010 they will keep. For instance, the user interface was far the best ever in 2009 IMO, i cant believe SI will keep the 2010 one, which has been a large part of fans disappointment (bugs aside).

Fm2010 is so annoying. The amount of goals scored in this game makes the likes of Gerd Muller look stupid. The tactics and the rest are spot on. I dont just get it dont u guys try d game before you bring it out. Too much patching and I hope the goals ratio is fixed on the next patch just makes the game so damn annoying

Uh...

The scoring rates of strikers were realistic rather than having countless strikers passing 35+ league goals in a season.

The regens were as broken, you know, things like that.

The 3D match engine was a good touch, but it wasn't exactly the best, not the worst effort though considering it was their first one.

The press conferences were better than what preceeded them, but not really something I really care about either way. They sort of become white noise.

Thats Football Manager 2010. You seemed confused no? Everything you said there is exactly what FM2010 is.

So, what was so good about FM 2008 over all the other ones, come on?

There was a good balance with press conferences, they didnt bombard you from all angles before and after every single game. Everyone already knows with a press conference what to say and what not to say, so why bombard us with them to the point we send our assistant managers along, who then upset the whole team leading to a 3-0 loss on the weekend.

The 2D match engine is beautiful, and you rarley see absurd moments like for example a goalie keeping the ball for 5 seconds then passing it to the oppositions striker who puts it away in the net.

I like that Stuart Pearce finally becomes England manager instead of Adie Boothroyd, like WTF???

I like the financial module in FM2008 much better. Its obvious by looking at the finance changes each year no researcher as any clue as to what the real finance of a club is. Latley Arsenal seem to have 50 odd million to spend, all based upon some suit publicly saying Wenger has money to spend, despite the fact all evidence says otherwise.

Thats Football Manager 2010. You seemed confused no? Everything you said there is exactly what FM2010 is.

How can you say they are exactly what 2010 is like when you haven't played the full game.

Regens are not evident in the demo.

Full season goal tally's aren't either.

Lots of people play FM and the majority of the ones that enjoy playing it don't post on these forums now because they are playing the game. The ones that don't enjoy it come out in there masses flooding the board with criticism.

How can you say they are exactly what 2010 is like when you haven't played the full game.

Lots of people play FM and the majority of the ones that enjoy playing it don't post on these forums now because they are playing the game. The ones that don't enjoy it come out in there masses flooding the board with criticism.

Are you saying in FM2010 goal scoring is not rather high?

Are you saying in FM2010 the regans are amazing?

I didn't like FM08 and FM09. I bought both but after playing for a couple of weeks I went back to FM07. Now I think it's time to move on, FM10 is great, the best FM with no path.

If I remember well the main problem of FM08 was the poor regens, is that right?

I think you're mistaken. Strikers score more often not because of bugs, but I think it's because the tactics are finally absolutely correct. What you tell your team to do- they do. The players finally seem to listen to what you want them to do, and the touchline shouts only make this better. They are not "gimmicks", they actually work very well. If defenders do their job better, the ME will be perfect.

Of course, you wouldn't actually know would you? Having played only the demo of the past 2 versions. Oh, and uh....you can still play the game in 2D.

if u havnt bought it how u know how good it is??

some people!!

Kind of like how you know the next Michael Bay film is going to have certain problems before even watching it. And guess what, I'm right too. I dont need to buy this game to understand how it works. I know of the problems that have been around for a very longtime now, and I know that instead of perfecting those issues SI add new features that bring a whole new host of flaws with it.

SI has always got my money when they've deserved it, I cant think of any other developer who consistently found their way inside my wallet like SI. But the laundry aint smelling nice no more, and when that happens you change your laundry powder. Or in my case you just religiously stick with FM08 until SI delivers again. Lets hope they deliver with FM2011 because 3 poor editions in a row doesnt go down to well.

FM games will always get good reviews though simply because the first 2-3 seasons are carefully managed by SI to give the illusion of a realistic game. Go into it a little further though and the mask always slips.

There was a good balance with press conferences, they didnt bombard you from all angles before and after every single game. Everyone already knows with a press conference what to say and what not to say, so why bombard us with them to the point we send our assistant managers along, who then upset the whole team leading to a 3-0 loss on the weekend.

The 2D match engine is beautiful, and you rarley see absurd moments like for example a goalie keeping the ball for 5 seconds then passing it to the oppositions striker who puts it away in the net.

I like that Stuart Pearce finally becomes England manager instead of Adie Boothroyd, like WTF???

I like the financial module in FM2008 much better. Its obvious by looking at the finance changes each year no researcher as any clue as to what the real finance of a club is. Latley Arsenal seem to have 50 odd million to spend, all based upon some suit publicly saying Wenger has money to spend, despite the fact all evidence says otherwise.

There is no difference between the 2D and 3D views apart from exactly that, the view! How do you not get this!

Back in FM 2008 on more than one occasion I had my keeper stand there... Stare at the ball and watch opposition strikers walk up, join in the stare at the ball game before the striker finally poked it home!

In FM 2008 Boothroyd was the manager of England from 2010-2022 and won all 3 world cups and 2 EUROs. Australia won the world cup in 2010 too...

The financial model was no better or worse. In fact, if anything it was broken. Chelsea went bankrupt and got relegated on my FM 2008.

As for strikers I had 11 different strikers who passed 40 goals in a season, 5 who passed 50 and one who passed 70!

He had 40 caps and 55 goals for Sweden!

The strikers were stupid!

Whilst there might be a tad too many goals for strikers in FM 2010, it is no where near as bad as it was in FM 2008.

Of course, you wouldn't actually know would you? Having played only the demo of the past 2 versions. Oh, and uh....you can still play the game in 2D.

You clearly dont read through posts before commenting do you. Maybe you should try it.

And it doesnt matter if you can still play in 2D, the engine has already been compromised. How hard is that to understand? The 2D view is not just as compromised as the 3D view, because its the engine not the view. Its quite simple.

FM2008 imo was the only FM game which went backwards compared to the previous one, although I've not yet decided on FM2010 compared to 09.

The problems on 08 for me were the closing down bug upon release, and the awful marking of players, the 10 one on one chances every game which were always missed, and then in the final patch the randomness of the match engine with unlikely comebacks happening far too frequently (In my favour mostly). Regens were also really poor.

I actually lost hunger for that game and didn't play it for the final month or so before 09 came out, which is really not like me. I was still playing FM2009 on the day 2010 came out as I wanted to finish my season.

I've not really thought where FM2008 compares to 05 and 06, but it was weaker than 07 and 09, with 09 being the best.

You clearly dont read through posts before commenting do you. Maybe you should try it.

And it doesnt matter if you can still play in 2D, the engine has already been compromised. How hard is that to understand? The 2D view is not just as compromised as the 3D view, because its the engine not the view. Its quite simple.

What do you think they changed about the engine when they made the 3D view?

My understanding was that there was little to nothing to actually change and it was more the challenge of making the 3D engine (not the match engine) itself.

Season 7, and it's still getting better!

:thup:

On '08 I never got past about 4/5 seasons, due to some serious issues.

On '09 my final save was still going strong 46 seasons into the game, and only the fact that I considered FM10 a marked improvement over a game that I found perfect at the time means I'm not still playing that.

:confused:

There is no difference between the 2D and 3D views apart from exactly that, the view! How do you not get this!

What? I never said there was a difference when viewing. The match engine is compromised, so it makes very little different what view you use. The engine is already compromised, which is my point. The inclusion of 3D and the Match Orders has ruined the engine irregardless of if you watch that engine in 3d or 2d.

Back in FM 2008 on more than one occasion I had my keeper stand there... Stare at the ball and watch opposition strikers walk up, join in the stare at the ball game before the striker finally poked it home!

Its nowhere near as much as the goalie issues in FM09 and FM2010. Nowhere near as much.

In FM 2008 Boothroyd was the manager of England from 2010-2022 and won all 3 world cups and 2 EUROs. Australia won the world cup in 2010 too...

Really? I dont get that, but I am using a 2009/2010 season update for FM08 so maybe that fixed that ridiculous situation that has happened in a few FM games. In my game Stuart Pearce is the natural successor. More realistic than Boothroyd.

The financial model was no better or worse. In fact, if anything it was broken. Chelsea went bankrupt and got relegated on my FM 2008.

Really? Im in my 8th season of a newish career, No problems for chelsea. Infact the top 5 are pretty consistent, its still Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal as the strong forces in english football.

As for strikers I had 11 different strikers who passed 40 goals in a season, 5 who passed 50 and one who passed 70!

So you scored over 600 goals in a season? Dont make me laugh mate, if your gonna lie try using believable figures.

Whilst there might be a tad too many goals for strikers in FM 2010, it is no where near as bad as it was in FM 2008.

Really, So your saying players dont score over 50 goals alot in FM2010 then?

My understanding was that there was little to nothing to actually change and it was more the challenge of making the 3D engine (not the match engine) itself.

:thup: The guy clearly has no idea about the workings of the game, and an embarrasingly cynical view of how SI operate.

Nothing was taken out of the match engine - 3D is just another graphical interpretation. :confused:

On '08 I never got past about 4/5 seasons, due to some serious issues.

On '09 my final save was still going strong 46 seasons into the game, and only the fact that I considered FM10 a marked improvement over a game that I found perfect at the time means I'm not still playing that.

Although I got quite a bit further than that with FM08, I agree.

For me, FM09 brought back the joy of the long term game that I had with FM06 and to a certain extent 07, I just didn't get it with FM08. FM08 just never held my attention in the long term and for that reason I consider it the worst of the recent versions.

What? I never said there was a difference when viewing. The match engine is compromised, so it makes very little different what view you use. The engine is already compromised, which is my point. The inclusion of 3D and the Match Orders has ruined the engine irregardless of if you watch that engine in 3d or 2d.

Why are you persisting with a main point that is clearly wrong? Where do you get this idea that the engine is compromised? It's more complicated - which is a good thing. There are more variables effecting success and failure - and that's NOTHING to do with 3D.

Its nowhere near as much as the goalie issues in FM09 and FM2010. Nowhere near as much.

What GK issues? '08 had far more 'superkeeper' complaints than '09 or '10.

Really? I dont get that, but I am using a 2009/2010 season update for FM08 so maybe that fixed that ridiculous situation that has happened in a few FM games. In my game Stuart Pearce is the natural successor. More realistic than Boothroyd.

Not every game is the same, and he's clearly talking about the original release, and how the game's interpretation of reputation was very basic in comparison to now

Really? Im in my 8th season of a newish career, No problems for chelsea. Infact the top 5 are pretty consistent, its still Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool and Arsenal as the strong forces in english football.

See my above point.

So you scored over 600 goals in a season? Dont make me laugh mate, if your gonna lie try using believable figures.

I believe he's talking about over a career. :rolleyes: There were serious issues in 08 with tactics - you'd play badly, and then suddenly tweak and find an exploit in the ME and score for fun

:rolleyes:

Well firstly its important to understand FM09's 3D was infact pseudo-3D. SI still deny this to this day, but its acknowledged amongst most reputable reviewers. With a lack of free camera control, there is still high suspicion that alot of the 3D is still an illusion. Hence pre-determined camera angles.

As for your understanding its way off base. The 3D/pseudo-3D has to communicate with the match engine, How else does it know when and what animation to deliver at a given moment?

To believe you can add 3D without touching the match engine code is ridiculous.

Although I got quite a bit further than that with FM08, I agree.

For me, FM09 brought back the joy of the long term game that I had with FM06 and to a certain extent 07, I just didn't get it with FM08. FM08 just never held my attention in the long term and for that reason I consider it the worst of the recent versions.

Exactly the same for me. I had long term saves on 01/02, 03/04, 05, 06, 07 and 09, but never ever got into 08. It seemed very unfinished to me, and issues like the poor regens ruined the fun. They were maybe more realistic than the super regens from 06 though. :p

This one was comical...

Your beloved 2D had tons of absurd moments just like 3D has. Stupid GKs that passed directly to the opponents, others that "shot" towards the opponents, etc... The defenders were amazing as well... some scored own goals from impossible angles, others actually shot towards their own goals... Also loved that they would give a corner away when under no pressure at all (which still happens..)

Beautiful. :rolleyes: Ive had all these since FM05 and I keep seeing them in FM2010 :D

The only thing Ive seen different from all the different modes were some stupid "auto" red cards. A player (Evaldo) that would get (always) a red card every match he entered always at the exact same minute. IIRC only way I could avoid it was watching the game in full match mode in 2D... (in highlights mode and commentary he always had the fricking red card :D)

Are you saying in FM2010 the regans are amazing?

And FM2008's were ? In my save they never reached the original players' level...

As for the finances... they always had wrong stuff and always will... (pessimistic..)

Happened in your game so happened to everyone else? In my FM2010 the player that won the Golden Boot award scored 34 goals in the Portuguese league. In second place was Soldado with 25... In my game there are no super scoring strikers... doesnt mean the others dont have this problem...

I know this game has bugs and I agree that certain bugs should have never been present in the final release but its hardly unplayable like some people claim (not talking about crashes...)... and for me FM07 was the best so far and FM10 a close second...

How is it compromised?! What are you trying to say?!

Seriously, you can't just state: "It's compromised" without due reason or explination!

Absolute toss, that is absolute toss!

What goalie issues mate?

Uh huh...

Well, you do realise that is not even an official update right? If you like it though, nothing wrong with it.

Yeah, it was season 13 that Chelsea collapsed. Reading became a power house around the same time, United dropped and in fact Liverpool came 17th in my first season and didn't challenge much higher than 10th from there on.

Interpretation failure here!

I had 11 different strikers who scored over 40 goals in a season. This means that I had 11 different strikers who in a season managed to beat 40 goals, not every season I had 11 strikers scoring 40 goals a piece. That is just rediculous and it's getting more clear that you have trouble understanding simple English.

Really, So your saying players dont score over 50 goals alot in FM2010 then?

Welll... No! The best I've seen is one striker who's scored above 40 in all competitions. That's not, one of my players, but rather one overall!

Well firstly its important to understand FM09's 3D was infact pseudo-3D. SI still deny this to this day, but its acknowledged amongst most reputable reviewers. With a lack of free camera control, there is still high suspicion that alot of the 3D is still an illusion. Hence pre-determined camera angles.

As for your understanding its way off base. The 3D/pseudo-3D has to communicate with the match engine, How else does it know when and what animation to deliver at a given moment?

To believe you can add 3D without touching the match engine code is ridiculous.

Are you basing anything you say at all on any facts, evidence, intelligence..? :confused::confused:

They obviously touched the match engine - to make it much better, not to 'compromise' it. The fact that 2D and 3D both run from the same engine suggests that yes, it is a bit of a mask, if you like - but so is 2D.

How exactly would you like things to be done instead?..

Longish Post Sorry

FM 2007: Brilliant when fully patched and the most simple version I have played.

FM 2008: Brilliant when fully patched and better then 2007.

FM 2009: Brilliant when fully patched and even better then 2008.

FM 2010: Brilliant at 10.1.1 not fully patched but still better then 2009.

Now as you can see from above that in my opinion FM has only got better with every version released when fully patched. Now the reason that they have gotten better is that each release has added new features big or small that make the game more realistic. Team Talks was a revolution when introduced. Press conferences was a revolution yes they become boring and repetitive all you do is send your assistant manager.

The talk of jumping from 2D to 3D is the biggest farce of them all. It is exactly the same as when SI went from the text commentary to 2D it finally gave people the opportunity to see their tactics in action. 3D gives us the chance to see our tactics in pretty more realistic view. The ME its self is fantastic and probably the best thing about FM apart from the database. What people seem to forget is that Football is an ever changing game so that ME has to keep up with the fact anything can happen in Football. Such as changes in tactics to sendings off and injuries it has an impact on the game. One last thing I think the amount of long range goals is very realistic because of the number of worldies scored this season alone.

Football Manager will never peak as the game is forever changing.

Uh huh...

Well, you do realise that is not even an official update right? If you like it though, nothing wrong with it.

Of course I realise its not an official patch, but when fundemental issues appear better than in an official patch I cant complain. No more boothroyd getting the England job. Perfect.

Yeah, it was season 13 that Chelsea collapsed. Reading became a power house around the same time, United dropped and in fact Liverpool came 17th in my first season and didn't challenge much higher than 10th from there on.

Ah so you are one and a half DECADES into the game and you find it unbelievable that Chelsea have gone bankrupt? Just look at the league in real life back in 1996. The landscape looked alot different than it does today. So thats not a realism issue as such, I dont think you can expect the same old top 4 in 13 years times. Look at how Leeds collapsed, it happens.

Interpretation failure here!

I had 11 different strikers who scored over 40 goals in a season. This means that I had 11 different strikers who in a season managed to beat 40 goals

So 11 x 40 = 440 goals in a season. No?

Was FM08 the real peak of the Football Manager series? Can S.I ever bring such an awesome edition along again? Or has 3D overshadowed everything that can be and was good about Football Manager?

I didnt buy FM2009 and I didnt buy FM2010 and I wont be buying FM2011 unless there are some serious changes to this database point and click game. Basically as long as the 3D match engine is around, My wallet wont be.

You do realise the complete lack of credibility slamming a game/s you never bought right?

Of course I realise its not an official patch, but when fundemental issues appear better than in an official patch I cant complain. No more boothroyd getting the England job. Perfect.

Ah so you are one and a half DECADES into the game and you find it unbelievable that Chelsea have gone bankrupt? Just look at the league in real life back in 1996. The landscape looked alot different than it does today. So thats not a realism issue as such, I dont think you can expect the same old top 4 in 13 years times. Look at how Leeds collapsed, it happens.

So 11 x 40 = 440 goals in a season. No?

Can you honestly be that stupid?

Can you honestly have that much trouble understanding!!!

What the hell?!

Let's try this again.

I had 11 different strikers who in a season scored more than 40 goals. They were different seasons. Lupoli one season, Carroll a different season, Fredriksson another, Little another, Cisse another... etc.

Not all 11 strikers scoring 40+ goals each in one season. How bloody stupid do you have to be to get that out of there. The simple fact that such a thing would have mean that I'd have to find space in my side for 11 different strikers with at least resonable amounts of game time each...

Really, what the hell?!

It's also not about the fact that things changed, but rather the manner in how it happened. But that's a story for a different time, especially since the problem has been fixed in later versions.

So you're also saying that the unofficial update is better than the official ones for future games whilst the official one in the game you're hailing is actually as bad if not worse about an issue you were complaining about...

What?!

what_the_hell_is_this_crap.jpg

English epic fail..."In a season" doesn't mean "in the same season"
You do realise the complete lack of credibility slamming a game/s you never bought right?

No. I realised there will be a percieved lack of credibility but thats more an issue with people who have a black and white mentality when it comes to these things. I dont need to go and buy Transformers 2 to know how bad it is, and what its problems are.

Try a fresh approach cause its boring mate.

You ask me? It wasn't me who provide the stats :p

So why defend the stats when you didnt either give them to me or understand them yourself?

The smiley you used also isnt very sutble mate, if you wanna argue just to argue feel free to poke my inbox wont you.

Over how many seasons then? What if its over 20 seasons?

It was over 20 seasons.

That means that I had 11 different strikers who achieved over that. I had every season a striker who got more than 40 goals from 2011 onwards though. But I'm talking about different strikers here.

No. I realised there will be a percieved lack of credibility but thats more an issue with people who have a black and white mentality when it comes to these things. I dont need to go and buy Transformers 2 to know how bad it is, and what its problems are.

Try a fresh approach cause its boring mate.

Well whilst you don't have to see it to know how bad it may or may not be, you do have to see it to make an actually judgement on it.

You ask me? It wasn't me who provide the stats :p
Can you honestly be that stupid?

Can you honestly have that much trouble understanding!!!

What the hell?!

Let's try this again.

I had 11 different strikers who in a season scored more than 40 goals. They were different seasons. Lupoli one season, Carroll a different season, Fredriksson another, Little another, Cisse another... etc.

Not all 11 strikers scoring 40+ goals each in one season. How bloody stupid do you have to be to get that out of there. The simple fact that such a thing would have mean that I'd have to find space in my side for 11 different strikers with at least resonable amounts of game time each...

Really, what the hell?!

It's also not about the fact that things changed, but rather the manner in how it happened. But that's a story for a different time, especially since the problem has been fixed in later versions.

So you're also saying that the unofficial update is better than the official ones for future games whilst the official one in the game you're hailing is actually as bad if not worse about an issue you were complaining about...

What?!

what_the_hell_is_this_crap.jpg

Mate if your going to get aggressive then maybe you should log off for a couple of hours and calm down. You slam me for my english yet what you wrote clearly insinuates you have 11 players score over 40 goals in a season.

Maybe you should have said "Over 6 seasons" etc etc.

So why defend the stats when you didnt either give them to me or understand them yourself?

The smiley you used also isnt very sutble mate, if you wanna argue just to argue feel free to poke my inbox wont you.

You meant "suitable"? Why in the world would I want to argue with you? Is it because a :p smiley offended you? Oh dear :eek:

I defended the stats because I understand what it means, which is not in ONE season, while you do not. Whether it is in 20 or 200 or 20000000 freakin seasons, it doesn't matter.

Archived