--Official-- British gems thread.

ArcticMonkey

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just in to my third season with Norwich and Kris Renton (Irish striker) is literally scoring for fun at the moment. Only 19 current and his stats at the start of the game look a little ropey, but he is currently worth 1.9mil on my game and rising.

He should be fairly cheap to pick up at the start of the game but is definatly one you could take and, with the right training, become a good player

Originally posted by clonabanjo:

**** OFF The good Ireland does not want to be associated with you british *****.

Warned and modqued, if it happens again I'll have no problem with just banning you. And the same goes for anyone else who doesn't stick to the original post.

• 4 weeks later...

I highly recommend Danny Haynes from Ipswich aswell. I'm half way through my 3rd season and he has scored 77 goals in 101 apps. One of those seasons was in the EPL which he scored 24 goals. Also Owen Garvan - solid midfielder who is now a Republic of Ireland international. Maybe shouldn't have posted that part though going by the 'arguement/discussion' that was going on icon_razz.gif

Originally posted by BillyLikesFish&Chips:

ffs idiot the threads already been made and he stated Irish players can be included too and lets face it if we really wanted your crappy little island we'd just take it again icon_biggrin.gif

Why wasn't anything said by a mod for this stupid comment? Out of order. Besides, your island did want our "crappy little island" but the War of Independence from 1919-1921 kind of put a dampener on that idea.

To include Irish players in a list of British players is insulting just like it would be to include Canadians in a list of Americans or New Zealanders in a list of Australians.

Also for the record we don't use the term 'British Isles' here in Ireland because it implies that both islands are British which is untrue. There is an island called Britain and an island called Ireland.

I respect the people of Britain (the ones that don't insult is that is) and would ask that people respect our nationality in turn.

To get back on topic, Baxter, Fleck, Hobbs and Taylor are all players worth checking out when starting a new game. I do anyway. icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Mr Charisma:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BillyLikesFish&Chips:

ffs idiot the threads already been made and he stated Irish players can be included too and lets face it if we really wanted your crappy little island we'd just take it again icon_biggrin.gif

Why wasn't anything said by a mod for this stupid comment? Out of order. Besides, your island did want our "crappy little island" but the War of Independence from 1919-1921 kind of put a dampener on that idea.

To include Irish players in a list of British players is insulting just like it would be to include Canadians in a list of Americans or New Zealanders in a list of Australians.

Also for the record we don't use the term 'British Isles' here in Ireland because it implies that both islands are British which is untrue. There is an island called Britain and an island called Ireland.

I respect the people of Britain (the ones that don't insult is that is) and would ask that people respect our nationality in turn.

To get back on topic, Baxter, Fleck, Hobbs and Taylor are all players worth checking out when starting a new game. I do anyway. icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree. I'm as proud an Irishman as anyone in Ireland, and I think it is only fair that our independence be recognized, after all the losses on both sides in the War of Independence, so to insult all people on our "crappy little island" is very offensive. I have no beef with anyone from Britain, I have very close British friends, but nobody benefits from that kind of bigotry.

That said, some of the overreactions from my countrymen have been pathetic. The war was years ago, and while we are most definitely NOT part of Britain it must be accepted that we have very close political and financial ties, since we are neighbouring nations.

Lets stop the childish and abusive comments from both sides and as has been said post British and Irish gems icon_smile.gif

Anyway, more to the point:

Shay Given - one of the most consistent keepers in the game IMHO

Ryan Taylor - definitely one for the future

Joe Mattock - I know he has probably been mentioned about a thousand times but I really can't say enough about him

Owen Garvan - Talented young Irishman, good midfield prospect

• 3 weeks later...

We need to keep this thread alive!

To the posters above, Ireland (ROI) isnt part of Britain because of a stupid political/religious dispute, to be honest Ireland is pretty much is Britain but lets not go into this all over again!

Some great youngsters suggested, helps me alot was sick of all the wonderkids like bojan, pato etc, we need British talent!

19 year old Sean Scannell looks quite good on my ipswitch game, im in september 2009 and he's still at palace but has great stats, including: 16 acceleration, 14 crossing, 14 dribbling, 16 finishing, 17 first touch, 16 heading, 16 technique. he has pretty decent mental stats aswell all around 13 - 15 other than influence which is 2 and teamwork which is 10

Giles Barnes best be good, 'cos I've bought him. Aside from that...

Shay Given, Steven Taylor, Joleon Lescott, Joey Barton, Shaun Wright-Phillips, James Milner, Michael Owen.

Okay, Given's not strictly British, but as he is my numero uno footballing hero (or maybe a very close second behind Shearer), I'll forgive him this once. All of the above have been on sensational form for nearly a season and a half (just under a season in Shaun-Wright-Phillips' case).

Ched Evans and Chris Gunter look quite promising, too.

• 3 weeks later...

David Bentley, has done a cracking job for me at Spurs and although I need a world class replacement he's still getting the job done. I also find it easy to motivate him after a bad half, if he gets a 5 he often responds well to anger.

• 2 weeks later...

Cleon: Can you not change the name of the thread to "British and Irish" - thereby solving the problem. The attitude in this thread is EXTREMELY offensive to the Irish fans of Football Manager, ignoring the various political opinions in the north, the term "British Isles" is considered offensive.....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-2385403.html

Thanks.

I see nobody has mentioned a few I think will be great. In one of my games this guy is a star for England. His name is JOE MATTOCK! Fantastic pickup for any Prem team as he can start for some lower sides and he can play a good backup for better ones. At about 20-21 he will start for England.

Also Leigh Mills and Danny Rose are 2 others that are fantastic.

• 5 weeks later...

Few more for the list:-

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Craig Eastmond: Arsenal right-back

<LI>Jay-Emmanuel Thomas: Arsenal defensive midfielder

<LI>Henri Lansbury: Arsenal attacking midfielder

<LI>Dan Gosling: Everton midfielder

<LI>Leighton Baines: Everton left-back

<LI>Gabriel Agbonlahor: Aston Villa striker

Originally posted by oisinlambe:

Cleon: Can you not change the name of the thread to "British and Irish" - thereby solving the problem. The attitude in this thread is EXTREMELY offensive to the Irish fans of Football Manager, ignoring the various political opinions in the north, the term "British Isles" is considered offensive.....

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,13509-2385403.html

Thanks.

Oh for god's sake... For the purposes of this thread, can't we consider Ireland as part of Britain? It doesn't affect political standings, it's a thread on a game forum for christs sake.

• 1 month later...

Archived