FMS Community Thread / Episode III / When Liverpool Attacks

tenthreeleader

We've got them next week. If we get it right tactically' date=' we can beat them. They've struggled away in harder matches this season, while the harder the game the better it seems for us.

Reo-Coker has to be back in the team, while Lennon won't give Warnock the run around. Be a good game though, very open, one to tune into ;)[/quote']

That match looks like one of those that will either be very good or very dull.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TPF, Captain Red Card finished the season with only his four dismissals :( Got promoted though \o/

Need to get him to start "lunging dangerously into tackles" It's the only way!

Congratulations, That should sort out money worries, although saying that you'll probably have to invest in players who want higher wages in order to stay up, although crowds should raise at least 50%!

8 games to go, I was 1 point behind Nottingham Forest who were 6th, I was 3-0 down to QPR at half-time, while they were leading 1-0 at HT. I sorta thought, that'll probably be the end of my Play off hopes as we really were in abit of poor form (We've only won twice in 7) and then we score 3 to draw 3-3, Forest lose and I'm now 6th with 7 games to go. Losing money rapidly (Probably because transfer installments) and still can't believe I lost Bodde :(

We signed a whole raft of new sponsorship deals, so that'll keep us going and the board have upped the wage budget. We had over 10,000 of our fans at the home leg of the play-off final so hopefully most of them come back for this season. Going to be a tough job to stay in Serie B though, with teams like Torino and Reggina in the league I could see us getting a few hidings.

Good luck for the run in, comebacks like that are always brilliant. I made one in the semi final of the Serie C Cup, lost the first leg 3-0 at home, won the second leg 4-1 away :cool:

Torino have bullied me out of my goal scoring left winger for £2.5M. Really didn't want to sell him but they started chasing him through the media and he put in a transfer request. At least I got a good deal as after the season update his value jumped from £325K to £1.3M, so getting £2.5M is decent business.

Not nice to lose key players but that fund could be yourself to build for a couple of better players for the squad. Reckon you'll stay up ;)?

and that's one hell of a comeback tbh, it made me laugh though, I had resigned to losing, I brought off 3 key players who were tired and brought on anyone really, didn't really sort it out, clicked off FM, just browsing the net, thinking well I've lost anyway, might not watse my time watching, then i clicked back on it 86 minutes and next attack I equalized, couldn't believe it really.

I'm 2 points behind 6th and 7th who have played 42 games, I've played 41 games, so a win in my game in hand would mean I will go 6th.

Words fail me after watching that match. Spurs could have scored a dozen or more had they taken even a few of the chances Kirkland saved. I wouldn't say Wigan quit as much as they were completely inept. Sad, especially at the Premier League level.

Only 27 years since we last beat you :p

Ah, that makes heaps more sense. Clearly I heard that particular statistic wrong.

Still, it was pretty awful from Australia. Weren't too crash hot against Ireland either. Union doesn't get much airtime here in Aus anymore, but with performances like that, it's unlikely to improve anytime soon. >.>

RANT alert....

Playing 08 in 2015 season. Took over Salisbury City in the BSS with 900K of red and a 36K week budget. Managed to claim a 5th place and then win promotion to the BSP. Cut tons of dead weight when contracts ran out, negotiated existing contracts lower ASAP, bought new young players, etc. My first BSP season, I had 5 loan players and 11 full-time players. The rest were yth players. Still had 26K/wk in salaries.

Anyway, in my second BSP season, the wage budget was under control (24K/wk), but I had 5 players in the starting lineup with pace of 5 or less and over the age of 33. Somehow, we were able to stay competitive, (thank you set plays and free kicks) and had climbed all the way to 6th.

May 1 arrives and with it, the final match of the season the following day. My starting keeper, whose played 53 matches thus far, pulls up lame in training before the first leg. Fine, put the back up in and we manage to scrape a 3-2 win away to seal promotion playoff.

On May 12, GK#2 gets injured the day after drawing the first leg of the semi-final.

On May 13, put GK#3 in for the second leg. We win 2nd leg on PK's in the OT. Make it to the finals for promotion to League 2.

GK#3 pulls up lame in training on May 14. Scramble for a loanee...gets approved but he won't arrive until after the final....grrrrr....forced to lineup with my only eligible GK youth player. We lose 2-3 in the finals.

Checked for injury history on all three keepers...zero injuries on all three first team keepers combined for the entire season July-April 30. All three first team keepers get injured from May 1-May 14. All three were match fit because of reserve league play.

Astounding...I know injuries are a part of life, but it still hurt to have all the injuries occur only to my GK's in such a short time span...grrrrr...

By the way, the Board found 1.8 M in funds to keep the team afloat in my first season. My second season, they only needed to add 300K over the season in emergency funds. Then, by the end of that third season, they had eliminated almost all debt due to outgoing transfers and favorable FA Cup runs.

Why rant? Just feels good to do after investing so much over three seasons and being so close...sort of like Chelsea losing with Avram Grant in the CL in a PK shootout when Terry slipped on his PK...so friggin close...yet so far away...

I'd have given my keepers time off from training under those circumstances. I'll often do that late in the season when everyone's at peak fitness and matches often mean a lot. That way the only way they can get injured is through Kirk Broadfoot Food Poisoning or in a match.

But still, Copper, great job getting as far as you did!

Superleague update...

Europe is finished with the exception of the financials, although I think I'll need to set up reserve and youth divisions for everyone, and I also need to sort out the finances for every league too. Don't suppose anyone has any idea how best to go about working out the figures, other than trial and error?

Americas is the next region I'm doing, and its a bloody nightmare due to their insistence on two titles per year. I know for most countries, the full season table is used for continental qualifications and relegation, and I've found them for Argentina and Ecuador, but for Mexico and Colombia I'm really struggling. I'd rather rank teams on 5 full years, rather than just 2.5 but I've not got the inclination to go through 10 championships - Africa/Asia is still not done and thats going to take an age too! I don't suppose anyone knows a really good site to find full year tables for Mexico/Colombia? (I've tried wikipedia, rsssf and soccerway already)

Image2.jpg

I'm not falling for that one again :rolleyes:

Buahaha.

Finished 7th with Swansea, point behind Forest in 6th and two behind Cardiff in 5th. Dissapointing but I hope the board feel happy selling off my best player at what could of been the cost of promotion via the play-offs. Ebi Smolarek the star of the show with 30+ league goals!

I don't suppose anyone knows a really good site to find full year tables for Mexico/Colombia? (I've tried wikipedia, rsssf and soccerway already)

http://www.wsn.com/football/mexican-primera-division-league-table-2008-2009/

Try that for Mexico. There isn't a combined table that I can find, but apertura and clausura are on the same page and can at least be combined.

Colombia is harder.

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=col/nationalleague/standings.html

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/tables?league=col.1&season=2009&seasonType=4&cc=5901

I can't find a combined table either, but soccernet at least has access to both Mustang I and Mustang II for the current season.

http://www.wsn.com/football/mexican-primera-division-league-table-2008-2009/

Try that for Mexico. There isn't a combined table that I can find, but apertura and clausura are on the same page and can at least be combined.

Colombia is harder.

http://www.fifa.com/associations/association=col/nationalleague/standings.html

http://soccernet-assets.espn.go.com/tables?league=col.1&season=2009&seasonType=4&cc=5901

I can't find a combined table either, but soccernet at least has access to both Mustang I and Mustang II for the current season.

Thanks for that

I think these are just a nightmare for me really....I'm going to come up with a different formula for these latin american leagues. I'm seeing too many occasions where a team finishes top of one half, and barely on the radar in the other...its like 1st/15th is better than 5th/5th, although they'll probably have less points overall. I've hit the same problem on Venezuela, Bolivia and Paraguay now, and I'm not very happy with Argentina, Uruguay or Chile if I'm honest.

At least Asia and Africa work more like Europe in their leagues. I'm racing through them....might have worked out who's going where in all of them by the end of tomorrow night. Then I can finish the editor work and get a proper test run going. Then I might make it available for download

I'm seeing too many occasions where a team finishes top of one half, and barely on the radar in the other...its like 1st/15th is better than 5th/5th, although they'll probably have less points overall.

For most fans there, it is. A 1st/15th team can call itself a champion, while a 5th/5th team can't.

My Brazil save in FM10 is fascinating if for no other reason than how the table is kept. It's a real education, especially if you hate symmetry.

Very harsh in my opinion, the amount of players they've lost and had to bring in has been unbelievable, not only that but their performances have been decent this season and the game against Stoke typified their season, decent performance, miss crucial chances and get punished. Be interesting to see who takes over, Avram Grant?

Oh and I love 0-1 scrappy away wins on FM, they are the best!

Brian/10-3/others- do you have a similar site for Peru, preferably that spans the second division? All my searching has thrown up a few Spanish sites, but that's all.

http://www.soccerway.com/national/peru/segunda-division/2009/regular-season/

Plus archives that go back to 2006 for the second division

http://www.rsssf.com/tablesp/peruchamp.html

The year links on this site link to results for 1st and 2nd divisions and seem to go even further back

To me Benítez looks like a very scared coach right now. I can't get my head round why he took Aquilani all the way to Budapest to give him a whole minute of game time. Did he honestly believe that Lucas had more to offer against a side who were consistently getting numbers behind the ball?

To me Benítez looks like a very scared coach right now. I can't get my head round why he took Aquilani all the way to Budapest to give him a whole minute of game time. Did he honestly believe that Lucas had more to offer against a side who were consistently getting numbers behind the ball?

Its tricky....because I can see exactly the logic. He probably wants two midfielders to sit to give some protection to the ****-poor defence.

I'm really thinking there's more to this Aquilani injury than we know. I can't fathom why he's on the first team bench rather than actually getting time in the reserves.

I didn't particularly like the attitude in the interviews....the assertion that we played well today was so misguided - we were as rank rotten today as we have been in any game. We basically scored early and did sod all after that.

Reina, Agger, Johnson, Benayoun, Torres and Ngog can hold their heads up high.

Carragher's had it, Skrtel's only playing marginally better, Kyrgiakos is worse than both. Insua is so error-prone at the back. Mascherano and Lucas had to step up this season with Alonso going. They failed. Riera's done nothing when he has played, Gerrard's hampered by an injury, Kuyt looks utterly shot physically and mentally right now. And Babel....well, if he put as much time and effort into his football as he does into mouthing off to the ****ing papers, we might have a Conference-level player.

That is all.

I just don't see where we are going with Benitez. I don't believe we will win the league with him. The champs league victory seems a long time ago now and so does the FA Cup. It's already November and we are having to count on finishing in the top four and winning the Europa League just to save our season. We've turned into a two man team and when one of those is out we just struggle. I'd rather we got rid of Benitez and had to pay some money to do it and get Hiddink or Mourinho in and save the season than have to struggle. Mourinho wants to come back to England so thats defo a consideration. Would we be saying this if we could still qualify for the knockout stages? I don't know. But i've had reservations over Benitez for a while now, and well, i'm just being proved more right the longer he stays.

Tough night for Liverpool, although at least winning was a positive. Still, the bit I saw was far from convincing and I think the derby against Everton could be a tough cookie.

As for my beloved Arsenal, a comfortable win, and amazingly, a clean sheet, but only due to utter and absolute luck. For pete's sake, this team needs to learn how to defend. Losing Gibbs for 3 months is a huge blow as well. If Gallas is out for Chelsea, I can see a disaster happening (what was Wenger thinking letting him back on the pitch? One of his eyes was swollen shut and he was wobbling all over the place!) Good to see Vela get some gametime however, he needs much more of that, a real talent, but man, the team needs either RVP or Bendtner to play central pivot.

If Mourinho goes to Liverpool I'll officially become an Arsenal fan :p.

But I agree, it looks like Benitez's time is up. Problem is, I don't see a new manager working miracles with what's available right now. Aquilani is a good player, but he won't be the savior the team needs right now. Unless the January window is a very busy one (and I don't see how, not that much money available to begin with, and selling dead wood will be hard), I don't expect radical changes in form and play style until next summer at the earliest. And by then Liverpool could find themselves out of next year's CL and short a few million quid. Not looking good whatever happens with Benitez, from my distant perspective.

Did Liverpool fans not think that you were in with a chance this season? If you did, why get rid of Benitez, it's a bad season, every manager has them and Fergie had some of the worst; back in the day. If you didn't, why did the club give him a new contract?

I don't see the point in getting rid of him, and I would take great delight in watching him get sacked, but who is really going to be interested in a club with no money, in mountains of debt, out of the CL and with two owners who are mental. The loss of money from CL, loss of £4m in compensation and lack of transfer kitty, in general, means that anyone who takes over will have no way of improving the team. May as well stick with him, until a new owner is found.

Also, can I just say how sickening it is to listen to people on the radio, not you guys, saying "oh it's no big deal, why would Torres leave, it's only the European Cup, we still play in the biggest league in the world". The same people who have bleated on for the last 20 years about the number of titles Liverpool have and resorted to the number of European Cups they have when United caught up, but yeah, now the European Cup is no big deal and no reason for players to stay :rolleyes:

Spot on, Elrithral. Last season we came closer than we have done since the last time we won the league when people were singing Benítez's praises. How quickly things move. Undoubtedly this has been a poor season so far and undoubtedly Benítez has made mistakes, but we've been utterly shocking this season and we're only five points off fourth; I still have absolute confidence that we'll finish top four.

And salkster, do you honestly believe that a chequebook manager like Mourinho would consider even for a moment joining Liverpool when his annual budget is going to be about twenty pence? He's trying to hold out for the United job and nothing else. My question to anyone who says that Benítez should be sacked now is name me a quality manager who would genuinely be stupid enough to take the job on with the club in its current situation.

but we've been utterly shocking this season and we're only five points off fourth; I still have absolute confidence that we'll finish top four.

Which is great news for me, a) Liverpool are shocking and b) Citeh have struggled to live up to the hype despite one of the worst showings from the top four in a while.

Helps me sleep at night tbh :D

Seriously though, I was talking to my dad about it last night and we agreed that top of the list for Liverpool, if they are to get out of this situation, is a top centre back to replace Carragher and it will cost £15m for anyone anywhere near as good as him at his peak. In other words, no manager will make Liverpool better without spending a hefty wadge of cash and if that hefty wadge does eventually come along you may as well let Benitez have a go with it.

I'm not afraid of City, to be honest. I see Spurs as a greater threat for the 4th place, and not just because of that game. They have a solid squad and, unlike Liverpool, they seem to know what to do to win games (and no, "get the ball to Torres and pray" doesn't count as a viable game plan :p), and a few alternative "how"s if the main plan fails.

I've never been a Benitez's fan, not even when he was winning multiple titles with Valencia, which is no small feat. But I'd agree that Liverpool's best bet right now is holding on to him until at least the summer, and reevaluate the situation then. Not because it's a good option, mind you, but because it's the one less likely to cause a complete disaster.

By the way, if I was Benitez, I would be starting Fabio Aurélio every single game. When your midfielders can't create danger for their lives, set pieces are your best option, and Fabio is great in both the direct and indirect variety. Insúa looks a bit to green to me, and lacks upside.

Spot on, Elrithral. Last season we came closer than we have done since the last time we won the league when people were singing Benítez's praises. How quickly things move. Undoubtedly this has been a poor season so far and undoubtedly Benítez has made mistakes, but we've been utterly shocking this season and we're only five points off fourth; I still have absolute confidence that we'll finish top four.

And salkster, do you honestly believe that a chequebook manager like Mourinho would consider even for a moment joining Liverpool when his annual budget is going to be about twenty pence? He's trying to hold out for the United job and nothing else. My question to anyone who says that Benítez should be sacked now is name me a quality manager who would genuinely be stupid enough to take the job on with the club in its current situation.

Fair point he probobly wouldn't but hey we can all but hope ;). I think the players just need a kick up the backside really and to stop feeling sorry for themselves. We are looking more vulnerable no doubt about it. I think that may be due to teams are more willing to attack us this season than last season.

Aurelio's been injured, as per usual. Don't get your knowledge from Sky's ****-poor commentary team - Insua has not become first choice as they stated last night. Aurelio pretty much always plays when fit (which is on average about 5 games a season)

Heh, yeah, I knew that. Somehow I forgot to add the "...from now on until he breaks" at the end of the sentence :o. Still, he was (supposedly?) healthy last Saturday against City, yet still only played in the final minutes. I guess he's being reintroduced gradually, but I don't know, I'd think he should at least be able to play a full half.

No Sky Sports for me, thankfully (for what I've read around here at least), we don't get it in Spain unless it's on sat (which I don't own anyway). We get two Prem games per week on public TV, with the focus on Arsenal, Liverpool and (sometimes) Wigan, for obvious reasons called Fàbregas, Torres, Reina, Benítez and Bob Martínez.

Heh, yeah, I knew that. Somehow I forgot to add the "...from now on until he breaks" at the end of the sentence :o. Still, he was (supposedly?) healthy last Saturday against City, yet still only played in the final minutes. I guess he's being reintroduced gradually, but I don't know, I'd think he should at least be able to play a full half.

No Sky Sports for me, thankfully (for what I've read around here at least), we don't get it in Spain unless it's on sat (which I don't own anyway). We get two Prem games per week on public TV, with the focus on Arsenal, Liverpool and (sometimes) Wigan, for obvious reasons called Fàbregas, Torres, Reina, Benítez and Bob Martínez.

Ah, fair enough...

I think Aurelio was one of the many players (Riera, Benayoun, Johnson being the others) that we sent to the Serbian quack with the horse placenta, and they were all at a similar level of recovery (eg, they could play 30 minutes but no more, and that got scuppered by the double injury in the first 18 minutes)

I certainly agree that Aurelio is our only set piece taker. Gerrard's delivery is in general appalling, and it infuriates me how often he takes them

Archived