Corner Theory

I just changed my set-up a little from the above one, and have increased the number of goals from corners with 4% :D

Setup:

DR/DL: Stay back

DC*2: Attack Far

DMC: Back

MR: Stand Far

ML: Stand Far post

AMC: Lurk

SC: Deep

SC: Keeper

And the 4% extra is in a league higher ;)

Im thinking about make a cross-over with LD's theory, to see how that works out:)

Aim the far post & set right footed player to take corners from the right sider, and left footed from the left

Best header/jumper - attack far post

Striker on - go forward

These 2 are the key.

These other players are just a distraction, and do nothing, but make the opposition player mark them, and not the one you are aiming at.

Strong cb on challenge keeper

2 players with high long shots - lurk outside the area

1 player - near post flick on

1 player - attack near post

1 player on attack ball from deep

Fullbacks stay back

That's it. Works like a charm.

But there are instructions for 10 players - and then you must have 1 taking the corner, so that's 11, one too many :p Maybe i'm just being simple, I guess it doesn't make big difference if one of the "distraction" players are taking the corner instead of doing one of those things...

In my team one of the lurkers is the corner taker. It doesn't matter. The important thing is the player attacking the far post, and a striker on go forward. The rest is just a distraction. Set them so all players are set on one option. In my tram i have 2 lurkers, nut they are the ones taking corners, so 1 is lurking, and the other taking the corner. You can do it differently, but i don't see much room for improvement.

Hi all

Am in my first season with Arsenal, i have tried all the above but one thing I keep noticing is that all my players crowd the area even when i try the distraction trick (1 x far post, 1 x forward, the others set on lurk/near post). I don't have great headers either and have the likes of Denilson, Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky in the box. Even with Bendtner I never get to score a goal. Suggestions?

Hi all

Am in my first season with Arsenal, i have tried all the above but one thing I keep noticing is that all my players crowd the area even when i try the distraction trick (1 x far post, 1 x forward, the others set on lurk/near post). I don't have great headers either and have the likes of Denilson, Arshavin, Nasri, Rosicky in the box. Even with Bendtner I never get to score a goal. Suggestions?

If you have too many players on one position they will disregard your instructions and crowd the area. Thats at least what happened when i tried to have three players on lurk outside area.

Hi all

I assume you are passing to teh far post?

It stands to reason that unless you have players that can jump and head the ball, you are going to struggle with this. Personally, with Arsenal, I might consider a short corner or one that ends up with the lurkers!

You can try both.... take a short corner to someone that has great passing and hope they pass to a lurker (have at least two) that is free and who has a good first touch (important), longshots, finishing and technique...... I beleive Arsenal have a few of those!

Hi guys, does anyone have a better idea as to what attributes matter for scoring after corners ? Gamberini just scored his 5th of the season for me and leads my team here and is as manny as any central defender scored for me in FM 09 , yet he has a 5 finishing. 17 heading and 16 jumping.

Does finishing even matter in set piece/heading situations ?

I have been having incredible success with a far post tactic. It varies depending on the 11 on the pitch at any given time but the basics concept comes from the "distraction theory."

Cross to far post. One near post flick, one on keeper, two attack near post, one attack far post, one lurk and two back. The "extra" have different settings based on attributes and match situation (chasing a goal, protecting a lead etc.) If they are attacking I prefer attack from deep to pull defenders towards top of the box.

The two key players are the attack far post and near post flick. Obviously you want a good header on the far post where most of the chances will come from. The near post can score a lot of goals too if they are a good header/jumper with good acceleration and mental stats (anticipation and perhaps decisions and off ball).

The main target is the attack far post, but your best jumper/header isn't automatically the player to pick. Again acceleration is important. A quick player with lower jumping/heading will get ahead of his marker more and get to more balls played into the gap between his marker and the defender on the far post.

The other thing to keep in mind is that generally (if not always) the AI sets its two DCs to "Mark Tall." So if you have a mismatch with one of your "tall" players then this is the match up to exploit. If you don't have a good match up with one of your players marked by the DCs, then take the time to figure out who is marking whom. To do this you must watch in full match, 2D overhead to see the numbers. Figure out which player creates the best marking mismatch and you are golden.

I am getting a ridiculous number of chances and scoring so many goals from this it borders on a cheat tactic.

Excellent stuff guys. I looked at my corner routine and adjusted it and it paid off. 92nd min CL group game Fiorentina vs Liverpool at Anfield and the game is tied 1-1. We get a corner and up rises Mark Viduka at the back post to make it 2-1 to the viola! :D

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to get maximum performance out of my corners. I have a guy with 18 heading and 17 jumping he should be my "corner god" but he fails to score.

I seem to have no problem getting the ball to him at the far post but he keeps missing the goal.

Any tips of what I should look for to change the corner tacktics?

I used the corner cheat for a while on FM09. I found it by accident as Pique scored so many he was almost my top scorer. When I realised it was probably a bug I stopped using it and did short corners instead.

I would have Xavi as my corner taker and have Messi set to "offer short option" this worked well as it gave Messi the opportunity to run into the box and shoot or pass from there. After a while though teams would close Messi down and Xavi would not pass it short, instead crossing into the box. I then decided to add Iniesta as a short option so that Xavi would have a choice of two players to pass to.

I didn't play FM08 but on FM07, managing Athletic Bilbao I noticed that short corners produced more goals. I set my two best headers (Llorente & a CB) to "near post flick-on" and the rest of my players to attack near post. This meant that I had lots of players at the near post and no-one at the far post. This worked well as Llorente would often win the header and score from a ridiculous angle.

On FM10, after some experimentation I believe that crosses to the far post is the best option. I also have found that the corner taking attribute is not totally important. I have found that players with lower corner taking attributes deliver better corners (Emana for example only has 11 for corners).

Can I ask

How do you aim for the back post

when in your tactics its in team instructions you should have corners,free kicks and throw ins each with a drop down box,with the corners click on the box and select "far post"

• 2 weeks later...

Archived