- For their fullbacks/wingbacks (DL+DR/WBL+WBR) and wingers (ML+MR/AML+AMR), apply them all: Tight marking, Hard tackling, Show on weaker foot, Closing down often.
Remember to apply these on those POSITIONS - not on exact players, incase their player gets subbed or moved to another position. Also remember to check them if they change their formation during the match, you might have to re-apply some of them.
- Tell your fullbacks/wingbacks to man mark their winger (Marking: Specific: <player>). So your DL marks their MR/AMR etc.
- Tell your wingers to man mark their fullbacks/wingbacks.
Those I feel are a must, but best results at shutting down their wide players are achieved by DOUBLE marking them. However this brings the problem of having 4 of your players man marking someone specific, which draws them out of their position. For example I sometimes tell my center backs to help the fullback at man marking their winger... but there's obviously a risk that their strikers get left alone at the center then. Same problem if I use my central mids to double mark their winger - the opponents will have a lot of space at central midfield then. So with the double marking I'm undecided so far, especially about which position I should use as the second man to mark their winger (and fullbacks) - if someone has suggestions about this I'd appreciate them.
I'm not sure about these yet, but someone else suggested these in the match engine thread:
- Defensive Line: Push Up (all the way to the right)
- Width: Narrow (all the way to the left)
- Tempo: Slow (all the way to the left)
As I said I can't say anything about these for certain, as I haven't tried them much yet, but so far it seems promising. Obviously with that insanely high def line you might want to have fast-ish defenders. I also like to make my GK to act as a Sweeper Keeper in case they throw long balls behind my lines.
These have helped me somewhat with this problems (which is a big one, in my opinion the biggest flaw in the current match engine), but they don't neutralize it completely. Only another patch will do that I'm afraid. Until then I'm using these, although it feels awfully lot like "playing vs the match engine" instead of trying to play "realistically".