FM10: Edin Dzeko

bjoggi33

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm struggling with Dzeko, it's his third season and he was on fire when I first signed him but has gradually got worse over the past two, this season he only has about two goals in fifteen plus games. I've been playing him as a complete forward and advanced forward but neither are doing the trick. Any ideas?

It really depend on your tactic, did you made some major changes from when he is doing well? since I partner him with Cardozo, both being really good in the air, my tactic has focus alot on the cross. But he definately can strike it down if needed. Check how is the supply doing, it might not always be his fault.

Dzeko is a goal machine. Not seen anyone like him in any FM. Ever. Scores for fun.

@avfcman22: much success up front on his own. Set as complete forward, attack. Sit back and enoy the goal fest.

I agree he is even more fun than last year's Vagner Love, cuz he can score all kinds of goals

22 games, 5 goals, 9 assists. Morale is superb.

I've tried various team talks which hasn't worked, bit miffed really. He usually plays the supporting striker, I think I'll just play him as the attacking one until he scores.

I notice for his PPMs he has:

Stops play

Shoots with power

Plays with back to goal

Does anyone train more PPMs? Or remove any? What exactly does stops play do? I am playing him on his own up front so I think it might be a good thing for him to hold up and bring others in. Re shoots with power, he is doing well for me but I prefer "places shots" - do you think I should change?

Needed a few games to gel in my arsenal squad it seemed. But after 3-4 games he started scoring twice game after game. In the competition his season ended with around 28 games and 24 goals or something like that. I'll look it up later. Paid 25M euros at start of season 2.

FM10: Bought him for £40m over 48 months at the beginning of the 2010/11 Premier League season for Arsenal. Generally play him as a complete forward (based on TT&F 2009) as the peak of a home-made narrow Christmas Tree (4-3-2-1) formation and his record is ridiculous.

2010/11 -43(1) Appearances - 31 Goals - 13 Assists - 5 MoM Awards - 7.45 Average Rating

2011/12 - 35(3) Appearances - 30 Goals - 11 Assists - 8 MoM Awards - 7.45 Average Rating

2012/13 - 44(3) Appearances - 52 Goals - 10 Assists - 13 MoM Awards - 7.70 Average Rating

Totals - 122(7) Appearances - 113 Goals - 34 Assists - 26 MoM Awards - 7.53 Average Rating

Awards:

Shortlisted for 2010 World Player of the Year

3rd Place in 2011 European Striker of the Year

Winner 2010/11 English Footballer of the Year

Winner 2010/11 Arsenal Supporters' Player of the Year

Shortlisted for 2011 World Player of the Year

Runner-Up in 2011/12 English Footballer of the Year

3rd Place in 2012 World Player of the Year

Runner-Up in 2012 European Footballer of the Year

Runner-Up in 2012 European Striker of the Year

Named in 2013 World Team of the Year

Shortlisted for 2013 World Player of the Year

Winner 2012/13 English Footballer of the Year

Winner 2012/13 English Premier League Top Goalscorer

Named in 2013 English Premier League Divison Select XI

Named in 2013 UEFA Champions' League Dream Team

Winner 2012/13 UEFA Champions' League Golden Boot

Winner 2012/13 European Golden Boot

Winner 2012/13 Arsenal Supporters' Player of the Year

Think he's a shoe-in for 2013 World Player of the Year based on what he's done this season, which would cement his place as the best striker on the game heading into 2014.

I've had some great strikers over the years, but I think this bloke takes the biscuit. Fantastic player. Two-footed, quick, strong, great in the air, learns PPMs. Love him.

Just left Arsenal after winning everything possible in my third season in charge. Will miss him. Have taken over at struggling Genoa with the aim of turning Aquafresca into the new Dzeko (he's one of the very few players in the game who come anywhere near to having the all-round stats of the Bosnian).

I asked him to remove "stops play", first and foremost as my team play a quick, short-passing game that relies upon quick movements and through balls. He did so.

I left the other two as he was scoring plenty of powerful shots (although it definitely causes him to miss a lot of one-on-ones as he hits the 'keeper a lot). Scores most of his goals by driving shots in across the 'keeper into the far corner, on either side thanks to his two-footedness.

Next, got him to add "tries first time shots" to his game in order to take further advantage of his power. Not really sure if this has had a major impact, but certainly hasn't taken anything away from his game as he just keeps getting better and better for me. Haven't noticed any first-time screamers from him, but haven't played 10.2.0 much yet (I'm sure I recall seeing that players have been altered to generally hit more first time shots.)

On top of that I asked him to "try to beat the offside trap" and his pace/acceleration grew to 15/15 by 2012 and he took this on board, too, which led to him having the best season yet for me (didn't really alter the formation/personnel around him much at all

So he now has: shoots with power, plays with back to goal, tries first time shots and likes to try to beat offside trap. It's the end of the 2013 season and he's the best striker in the world game.

I asked him to remove "stops play", first and foremost as my team play a quick, short-passing game that relies upon quick movements and through balls. He did so.

I left the other two as he was scoring plenty of powerful shots (although it definitely causes him to miss a lot of one-on-ones as he hits the 'keeper a lot). Scores most of his goals by driving shots in across the 'keeper into the far corner, on either side thanks to his two-footedness.

Next, got him to add "tries first time shots" to his game in order to take further advantage of his power. Not really sure if this has had a major impact, but certainly hasn't taken anything away from his game as he just keeps getting better and better for me. Haven't noticed any first-time screamers from him, but haven't played 10.2.0 much yet (I'm sure I recall seeing that players have been altered to generally hit more first time shots.)

On top of that I asked him to "try to beat the offside trap" and his pace/acceleration grew to 15/15 by 2012 and he took this on board, too, which led to him having the best season yet for me (didn't really alter the formation/personnel around him much at all

So he now has: shoots with power, plays with back to goal, tries first time shots and likes to try to beat offside trap. It's the end of the 2013 season and he's the best striker in the world game.

tnx a lot :thup:

Brilliant thanks for the info. Going to train him to remove "stops play".

Stops play

Shoots with power

Plays with back to goal

Does anyone train more PPMs? Or remove any? What exactly does stops play do? I am playing him on his own up front so I think it might be a good thing for him to hold up and bring others in. Re shoots with power, he is doing well for me but I prefer "places shots" - do you think I should change?

I think that his PPM's make him the ideal loan targetman/striker. He can hold the ball up and bring others into play as well as turning and shooting from long range with his power.

He's been in amazing form for my newcastle team, playing up top alone as a complete forward hes scored 24 in 29

Stops play

Shoots with power

Plays with back to goal

Shoot first time and I tell him to stop stopping play.

If he's playing him up top on his own he'd surely want him to hold the ball up and bring others into play?

By getting rid of stopping play he wouldnt be able to do this

I just didn't want him to be so one-dimensional.

He's a complete forward, not simply a target man. He's quick, he is creative, he's excellent technically and he can terrorise any defence in the world on my game, thankfully - he always produces, no matter what the situation. He has "often" for everything in my tactic (as recommended by wwfan's Tactical Theorum's and Frameworks 2009 - didn't much like 2010 so went back a year). I didn't want him to stop play, I wanted him to receive the ball and turn and get at the defence, as I would always have my AMC's bursting on past him (van Persie and Arshavin - later RVP and Walcott). The number of assists he gets since losing "stops play" has reduced slightly, but the goals he has scored has increased drastically. My team/tactics have barely changed in 3 years, as well.

He is the main man of my team and I wanted to "take him off the leash", so to speak, and allow him to play with more freedom and less constraints (hence the addition of "tries first time shots" and "likes to beat the offside trap" to add more to his game).

If you want to use him as a target man, then by all means keep the "stops play" in there. I personally felt "plays with back to goal" was enough for the role I wanted him to play in my team. It's worked, as well, he has been unplayable in 2012/13.

I don't use the basic instructions that come with the new game, everything I've done on this tactic is based upon Tactical Theorums & Frameworks 2009 and it's led to me having the best team I've ever assembled on FM with an 83% win ratio out of 201 games in 3 seasons.

dzekotactics.jpg

I dropped his mentality back to 15 clicks from 18 clicks (which my sweeper-keeper, wingbacks, box-to-box midfielder (RCM) and both inside forwards (AMCs) have) in order to keep him more closely involved in the build-up and it improved his performances a great deal. He's also fantastic from defensive corners for me, heading away numerous front-post deliveries.

Hope this is helpful to you, but you must remember that the time he's been at the club, the happier he is and the quality of your team-talks/tactics around him will be as important to his success as his individual instructions.

This is very helpful thanks.

Although I think I'm going to leave him as he is - he's just started on a massive scoring run 7 in his last 7. I hear what you are saying about length of time at club etc - I'm on in November of the first season and playing Rooney behind him which is a role Rooney is not used to so it took time to click.

Dzeko is unbelievably poor for me. So far no Goals in 5 starts with 1 assist as a Target man in a 4-2-3-1 narrow. Even couldnt score in a 6-0 win over Bristol Rovers. Anyone got good instructions for him? I dont want to use the one posted above due to its un compatibility with my tactic.

Archived