dafuge's FM08 small club to big club challenge

• Replies 11.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Barnsley:

leaking in goals for fun now icon_frown.gif cant even stop it even with 5 at the back icon_frown.gif

I've been having consistency problems throughout my save so far. I went 17 games unbeaten, then got pounded 3-0, 4-0, 5-2 and 3-1 in the next 4 matches and followed them up with several draws in the season before last on my game. I also went with 5 at the back after my second pounding and then got the 5-2 loss result.

Originally posted by paulsgruff:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnsley:

leaking in goals for fun now icon_frown.gif cant even stop it even with 5 at the back icon_frown.gif

I've been having consistency problems throughout my save so far. I went 17 games unbeaten, then got pounded 3-0, 4-0, 5-2 and 3-1 in the next 4 matches and followed them up with several draws in the season before last on my game. I also went with 5 at the back after my second pounding and then got the 5-2 loss result. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm decent defensively.

Goals conceded this season.

2002001101001100001 icon14.gif.

10 against in 19 games icon14.gif.

The only problem is I'm not scoring many more than none.

Goals scored this season.

0120002101120131301 icon13.gif.

19 for in 19 games icon_frown.gif.

Can anyone help me out with one of the thread rules? How do I stand if a player that I can't scout (is from abroad) and haven't offered a trial too is offered to me directly by another club for free? Am I aloud to sign him or is this part of the no trial/scouting - no signing thing?

Originally posted by kccircle:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

Jonny Harkness

dafuge challenge legend icon14.gif.

Scored a few free kicks too.

Do you have him too? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

He went all the way to the Premiership with me in dafuge FM06.

He was my best player in dafuge FM07.

He scored 104 goals for me in Gundo's challenge FM07, (after only joining me at age 29)

My 2nd favourite FM player of all time icon14.gif.

Can anyone help me out with one of the thread rules? How do I stand if a player that I can't scout (is from abroad) and haven't offered a trial too is offered to me directly by another club for free? Am I aloud to sign him or is this part of the no trial/scouting - no signing thing?

I don't think there is a rule before because it has never happened.

I would say.........

It should be ok as long as you can give us a screenie that he was offered to you.....

But..................

He is only being offered to you because he was on your shortlist and shouldn't really be as you have no knowledge of him because you can't scout abroad.

Sorry. I'm honestly not sure.

My advice would be to save now before buying him, then buy him in the hope that it will be allowed. Then, if dafuge rules no, you can go back and reload from before you did the dirty deal.

To be honest, I think it's larget irrelevant as I think that an "attendance bug" is about to bite me right on my bug fat behind and get me the sack after losing only 21 of 68 games played

Jimbo - Whats this attendance bug then, not heard about this yet.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

I don't think there is a rule before because it has never happened.

I would say.........

It should be ok as long as you can give us a screenie that he was offered to you.....

But..................

He is only being offered to you because he was on your shortlist and shouldn't really be as you have no knowledge of him because you can't scout abroad.

Sorry. I'm honestly not sure.

My advice would be to save now before buying him, then buy him in the hope that it will be allowed. Then, if dafuge rules no, you can go back and reload from before you did the dirty deal.

It isn't something that has actually happened in my game with a foreign player, but in the close season since I got promoted I have been offered a player (that I'm pretty sure wasn't on my shortlist). The message makes it read as if he was transfer listed and the club had offered him out, and I'm pretty confident my scouts and I have never looked at this guy as he was too far up the ladder (league 2 and I am still in conference south until the end of June when the new season starts), and I know I wouldn't be able to afford his wages anyway.

Offer

Player Profile

I was just asking as, like I said, it seems as if the club offered him out because he was unhappy rather than because he was on my shortlist, and wondered how I would stand if a player from say an Irish club had been offered to me in similar circumstances.

I can't say for sure if he was on my shortlist or not, because when the offer came in I just directly bidded for him as he looked good and was free, and naturally I couldn't afford his wage demands. I wish I hadn't bid right away as I could actually tell you if he was shortlisted or not then incase the player offering system had changed in FM08.

I've been getting 1000 attendance for like 25games of the season.

Last 10 games its just gone to like 400 and stuff icon_confused.gif

Jimbo has a thread in the bugs forum about weird attendances for lower league clubs at the moment. I'm not totally sure how they are calculated, but the season my team got promoted from the conference south, they averaged only just over half the average attendance that I did in my first season in charge, right after the club had been promoted to the playable leagues.

I would have thought more fans would turn up to watch a team challenging for a playoff place than this, considering so many turned up for the first season we were in the division - unless my poor 3 seasons after that totally destroyed our fan-base or something.

Originally posted by RockLobster:

how long approximately does it take to complete a board takeover? there's been a transfer embargo on for about 2 months now & im getting worried there might be a bug somewhere icon13.gif

They can go on for ages, they carry on for as long as it takes for the deal to either go through, or collapse (unless it has changed for FM08 and includes time constraints or something). I remember seeing Arsenal being stuck in a takeover approach for nearly 10 months in FM07 - hopefully that doesn't happen to you.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RockLobster:

how long approximately does it take to complete a board takeover? there's been a transfer embargo on for about 2 months now & im getting worried there might be a bug somewhere icon13.gif

They can go on for ages, they carry on for as long as it takes for the deal to either go through, or collapse (unless it has changed for FM08 and includes time constraints or something). I remember seeing Arsenal being stuck in a takeover approach for nearly 10 months in FM07 - hopefully that doesn't happen to you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

phew! cheers paulsgruff. slightly irritating though - ademeno's on the transfer list!(god knows why)

Ended the night(well early morning - damn things addictive) with a good 3-1 victory over Harrogate with Kyle Wilson grabbing a goal in his return game icon_smile.gif

Ended my winning drought.

12th Position with 5 games to go, and 9points off playoffs (unlikely)

Hoping for a top halfish finish now after that lapse in the middle with 5 game losing streak icon14.gif

I have 80k in the bank somehow though - Money coming in from Matchday Income icon_rolleyes.gif but i wouldnt of thought many people would buy things on matchdays at this crap club icon_biggrin.gif

I have 80k in the bank somehow though - Money coming in from Matchday Income icon_rolleyes.gif but i wouldnt of thought many people would buy things on matchdays at this crap club icon_biggrin.gif

Enjoy it while it lasts, my club is losing money rapidly now my wage budget has increased to over £5000. I've had to send a few players out onto street corners at night to keep us afloat. They're good lads, do as they're told, but are greedy effers when it comes to wages.

Margate 08/09 Summary

Starting with no players and no staff makes this very challenging. I found it very difficult to get a Scout in and get any amount of results from him before the season kicked off, so I ended up buying a bunch of temporary freebies on little wage to get by.

Turned out they were pretty much all crap and my results suffered heavily. With the restrictions of the small wage budget, I was going to slog through the season with these makeweights and build a better squad for season 2, but it soon became evident that if I didn't do something soon, I would probably get Margate relegated and it would be game over.

So I bit the bullet and started checking my scout's results to find me a better starting eleven. Doing so meant I went WAY over my wage budget and I knew the board would not be happy, but I had to hope I could get the results that would appease them.

After 17 matches in charge, I had yet to get out of the bottom four, but I had pretty much build myself a new-look team. Results started coming almost immediately, but I really could not have dreamed it could be such a dramatic turn-around.

Week on week, we climbed the table and started to become capable of getting a result just about anywhere. At no point did I expect any success from this season, but I wanted to be ready for next term.

Unbelievably, we managed to fight our way to a 5th place finish!

League progress

I have yet to play the playoff matches, but even if we lose (and I expect we will), this has been an incredible season. I'm fully expecting to still be in BSS next year, but I'm happy with that and confident that we can get promotion with the current squad...

I'm off to play Dorchester in the Semi-Final now. You never know, we might somehow get through it. How amazing would that be???

This is ********, what a stupid f**cking bug!

Has it been posted in the bug forum? i cant see it ?

I didnt get my contract renewed even though i got promoted first season and ended up 12 second season.

I find this to be one of the biggest bug in a long time, and this challenge is a waste of time and useless.

FOR ****S SAKE SI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I want my money back icon_mad.gif

Originally posted by kaNovi:

I didnt get my contract renewed even though i got promoted first season and ended up 12 second season.

I find this to be one of the biggest bug in a long time, and this challenge is a waste of time and useless.

This happened to me, the only option is to download FMM and give yourself a new contract. However you will be disqualified from the challenge as I found out.

Margate 08/09 Update

Playoff semi-final (1st leg) Margate 2-0 Dorchester

Playoff semi-final (2nd leg) Dorchester 1-3 Margate

Margate win 5-1 on aggregate after a fantastic performance in both legs. We were clearly the better side and dominated from start to finish.

Playoff Final Margate 3-1 Histon

An incredible performance and two cracking goals from our Spanish wonderstriker, Juan Ugarte gave us the golden ticket to the Blue Square Premier!

Just a few short months ago, we were one of the worst teams in the division and headed nowhere. What an incredible achievement from the players to deliver this.

Can't wait for next season, even though it's impossible fior it to be this good!

Originally posted by yankee_ram:

Ok here is my profile, after retiring Holiday Gal...AFC Wimbledon are proud to announce the hiring of Shakira Graham as there new manager. While still young and cutting her teeth in the football world, AFC Wimbeldon are convinced she can take them to great hights.

New Womble Manager

Ok so can manger football but cant post a screenie that is large enough to see

New Womble Manger Pt II

Originally posted by Jordanknox:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by kaNovi:

This happened to me, the only option is to download FMM and give yourself a new contract. However you will be disqualified from the challenge as I found out. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

or you could wait 2 days and see if the patch fixes it..... this is a long term challenge, it doesn't need to be completed in a week.

OK, been following this since I first got into FM, in my case 2007, and have never officially posted anything for the challenge.

This year, I am in. While maybe not manly, since I will be starting over when the first full patch comes out, I am going to use Bedford, so I can get my feet wet in the new game without having such a disadvantage as the low rep clubs. Now that the digital download is released, I'm ready to go. So here it is:

Hopefully that made it.

One other note: are we sure we don't need a retain file for this year? Dafuge, you had said in a previous post that the reason for a retain file last year was because of a bug, but I am seeing some of the same things, with teams of all grey players again. I might be wrong, but doesn't the retain file cause all the players on a team to be real (or at least act like they are real, not grey). I'm sure I'm not getting my point across here, but would it be worth it for a new retain file for this challenge, so everybody starts with the same guys? Just asking, I'm probably wrong on that account, but I'll let you know how I progress in the actual challenge. Onward and upward.

Originally posted by Allan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Barnsley:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Quavis:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allan:

Hmmm am I the only one that cheers and shouts at the playe... emm I mean the Monitor... icon_biggrin.gif

Another game, another win but evreyone above me keeps winning aswell and im getting no closer...

I didn't with Banbury but after i started again with Witton i have a feel for them and started to clench my fists when i've scored vital goals icon_frown.gif i just cant help myself to do it though icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not usually vocal when we score goals, though I do have a tendency to jump up and pump my fists.

However....when we concede goals, especially vital goals, or when someone gets sent off....I'm sure half the neighborhood knows and the parents all cover their children's ears. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know how a game does it tbh but this game certainly does icon_biggrin.gif bloody marvelous though, the abuse that i throw at my monitor aswell when a team beats me in the 94th minute after i've just had a goal disallowed.

Adds to the fun icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im gutted, my team pulled off a great string of results going from 9th to 5th only to totally bottle it in the last game and finish in 6th.

My 2 strikers, one with 23 goals and one with 24 had 18 shots on goal, and 2 of them were on target. I lost 4-1 to the team in 17th place and a draw would have seen me into the playoffs.

I missed out by one point.

Ohh well heres to another season in the South!

Cant win em all Ehh? icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unlucky Allan, next season though it's in the bag icon_wink.gif

Zutcorp - season review 08/09 - Gateshead - Conf North

GUTTED

just gutted.

I finished 3rd in a decent enough season. 3rd after loosing out on the last day of play to Tamworth and leigh, both leapfrogging me, even though, i was bathing in chances, i had a 0-0.

then in the semifinals of the playoff i lose at penalties vs. Southport.

well, on to the next season.

I wont do a lot of screenshots, as Im not too pleased with myself last season. I signed too many players on loan, and ended up not feeling right about the game. Im going to limit myself a lot next year!

Originally posted by cookie15:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Allan:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Quavis:

Hmmm am I the only one that cheers and shouts at the playe... emm I mean the Monitor... icon_biggrin.gif

Another game, another win but evreyone above me keeps winning aswell and im getting no closer...

I didn't with Banbury but after i started again with Witton i have a feel for them and started to clench my fists when i've scored vital goals icon_frown.gif i just cant help myself to do it though icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm not usually vocal when we score goals, though I do have a tendency to jump up and pump my fists.

However....when we concede goals, especially vital goals, or when someone gets sent off....I'm sure half the neighborhood knows and the parents all cover their children's ears. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know how a game does it tbh but this game certainly does icon_biggrin.gif bloody marvelous though, the abuse that i throw at my monitor aswell when a team beats me in the 94th minute after i've just had a goal disallowed.

Adds to the fun icon14.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Im gutted, my team pulled off a great string of results going from 9th to 5th only to totally bottle it in the last game and finish in 6th.

My 2 strikers, one with 23 goals and one with 24 had 18 shots on goal, and 2 of them were on target. I lost 4-1 to the team in 17th place and a draw would have seen me into the playoffs.

I missed out by one point.

Ohh well heres to another season in the South!

Cant win em all Ehh? icon_cool.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Unlucky Allan, next season though it's in the bag icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

4 of my best players are on loan though, need to see about trying to sign them or extend the loans but I think I might need to go for quite a few new players next season!

I only just got a new contract in the season when I won the league, there is something clearly wrong with it. Have you got a save game from before it happened? It might be worth trying playing it again with the beta patch to see if it has been fixed, the same goes for Jordanknox.

Originally posted by Jimbokav1971:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Supermas2:

Also, (sorry if this works out as a double post), Jimbo - did you find it hard to come by better players than your current crop in season 2, as a result of the medium database?

I'm in my 2nd season and comfortably improved the squad, but I'm still unable to get any loans in at all.

To be honest, I think it's larget irrelevant as I think that an "attendance bug" is about to bite me right on my bug fat behind and get me the sack after losing only 21 of 68 games playedicon_frown.gif. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah i looked at your thread about this on the bugs forum.

I may make a backup save game, holiday it, and just see what happens to attendances.

If my game experiences what yours does, I think i will wait for the Beta patch today or tomorrow.

Link for Jamesf18 about attendance bug.

Barnsley. You might want to have a look and post your details too.

kaNovi. Unlucky mate icon13.gif. Were there any areas of your performance that they were unhappy with, (eg finances)? or is it completely unreastic? There was 1 area with Jordanknox that he hadn't met expectations, was that the same as you?

In any case, perhaps both of you should create a thread in bugs forum and upload details of save game to ftp.

Although the knoxy thing seemed a little harsh, (to say the least), I could at least understand it because he had claimed that he was going to do better than he actualy did in his last season. Maybe it is something that does need tweaking, but the only way it will happen is if you report it in detail.

What did you put for your expected league position? I had the same bug but due to getting what they asked for I wasn't sacked.

Originally posted by mattyisalegend:

Congratulations Paulsgruff, Alurny, Betterspud and Shaggy61.

New contracts all round hopefully.

It came on the last day of the season despite the bug. I think the promotion saved me but it would have been interesting to see what would happen if I didn't.

They wanted a mid table position and every bar was 3/4 full apart from the top bar which was broken. (Wanted me to attain a safe mid table in Conference North, a league below). I'd expect as long as you get the clubs goals it doesn't matter if the top bar is broken.

Archived