Who are the 'sleeping giants' in the lower leagues?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes, I definitely agree with you are! FC United are the FUTURE Premier League and European Cup champions! Perhaps by the year 2025, they would be regularly playing in the Premier League!! :D

If the FA have any sense they'll ban them from the league. FC Utd are what happens when hooligans form their own club. They have no place in English Football.

Is the Championship classed as the lower league? I hope not :(

I guess that would be determined by where you expect the club to be, In a perfect world I would expect Wednesday to be a top half Prem team. So with that in mind ... For me, Yes.

I guess that would be determined by where you expect the club to be, In a perfect world I would expect Wednesday to be a top half Prem team. So with that in mind ... For me, Yes.

Thats the same place i'd like Newcastle to be :), although i have to admit i am enjoying going to the matches more in the CCC. For me it just feels more 'real' than going to places in the premiership (and i've done them all at some point), not to mention cheaper!

For me though, i'd still say lower league (in England) is outside of league 2.

Why does a sleeping giant need to have had success in the past? Surely the potential for future success makes them a sleeping giant?

When Adam Pearson bought Hull City he described them as a sleeping giant with masive potential. That was when we were in Division 3, with the only silverware in our cabinet being the Billy Bly Trophy and the East Riding Senior Cup. We may not be doing great in the Premier League but relative to our history, it can be classed as great success!

To be a sleeping giant you need two "things":

A. Be a giant; The club needs to be successful, beating Valencia 7-0 is nice, but eventually doesn't make any difference..

B. Be asleep; Said club should suffer a downfall, like Boavista or Genoa.

Genoa are still considered a sleeping giant, always will be - even if they are in Serie A.

Oviedo are just sleeping.

People use the term too loosely, how about not lowering its value and use it properly to distinguish the truly great teams from the Oviedo's and Boston's ? Seriously, you're insulting the real sleeping giants when you refer to Bradford City as a sleeping giant.

Not that people will listen, it's the internet, you're free to do as you please :)

Id say Millwall count, but then im a little biased! Were not a sleeping giant in terms of past success, or even support but we could be if that makes sence? When we do have a bit of success we can mix it with the best of them in terms of support. You only need to look at our recent support at wembley over 50k Millwall fans, 35k for the Cup final in cardiff, etc. Millwall are also the nearest professional club to central london, its just a shame that our fans only seem to turn up for the good times! speaking of which 2-1 today! What a performance!

If the FA have any sense they'll ban them from the league. FC Utd are what happens when hooligans form their own club. They have no place in English Football.

Im sorry but where is your evidence to show we are hooligans? considering we consistently get over 2500 fans in the unibond premier and very rarely get any trouble i dont know how you come up with that!!!! Hooligans that dont believe in our game turning into a charade which tv dictates and foreign investors believe they have a right to turn it into a joke.

Alas as long as there is money to spend in FM everyone is happy. x

My definition of "sleeping giants" is thus. 1. They are clubs from my schooldays in the very late forties, early and mid fifties, that were in the old First Division and had in their teams the "stars" of their day. 2. They are not now and have not been in the top tier of English football for some forty years or so. Off hand I remember the following. Blackpool [Mathews, Mortensen, Johnston]. Cardiff City [sherwood]. Charlton Athletic [bartram, Firmani]. Huddersfield Town, forgive me but their players names escape me. Preston North End [Finney, Shankly] and Sheffield Wednesday [Redfearn or was it Jack froggatt?]. I can never remember which of the two brothers played for Wednesday and which played for Portsmouth.

There are other clubs that have been continually up and down on a regular basis and clibs like Portsmouth and Wolves who have recently got back up to the top tier. Amongst the players mentioned is, in my opinion, the best goalkeeper never to have played for England. He is Sam Bartram of Charlton Athletic.

Incidentally, going off topic here but Farnborough are in the process of building a new stand, which is not reflected on the demo.

Will it be reflected on the proper game and if not- how come ?

This should be posted in tha Data Forum!

Leeds and Nottingham Forest are the first that spring to mind.

I'd say Forest's rivals Derby County as well. And I'd agree with the poster that suggested Bradford. Although not quite giants I'd expect them to be in the Championship at least rather than Leauge Two.

as someone said earlier , ferencvaros , they may now be back in hungarys top division but hungarian league isnt the strongest anyway , fradi , as they are known , used to be a top european club back in the day , and ive managed them several times in fm but its difficult to recreate their past days , it seems to effect the national side easier , i have seen hungary become world champions by 2018 several times but never managed to land the champions league with ferencvaros , i think ive never got past the quaters with them , have a go , the league gets easy after 2 or 3 seasons with only really debrecen keeping up but in europe its different , it ends up a bit like rangers and celtic , but if any one can win the champions league with them then say so on here .

I don't think anybody has mentioned Alavés, now in Spanish Segunda B. They lost to Liverpool the UEFA Cup´s final in 2001, and they were in First Division for different years in the '90s-2000s, even qualifying for UEFA again.

Guest markyosullivan

Luton Town, Leeds United, Notts County, Nottingham Forrest, Millwall, Norwich City, Derby County, Leicester City, Charlton Athletic.

Guest markyosullivan
I bet Glen Little's right leg that FC United will not win the Champions League within thirty years.

Agreed. AFC Wimbledon have a better chance than FC United. :cool:

You have alot of experience on Fc United and AFC Wimbledon? If not how do you come up with this answer?

Well, for starters, AFC Wimbledon have a higher league position...

Regardless, neither of them will ever be much bigger than Aldershot, and that's saying something.

The first save I ever played when I started FM '09 (my first FM) was with Leeds. I had no idea what I was doing - never setting tactics, training routines, or doing anything with my staff - and I still shot straight up into the EPL in two seasons, finished 4th and made it into Europe in season three, and kept rolling from there.

Leeds, at least in-game, is practically a giant as it is - without so much sleeping. You *start* with a 40,000-seat Elland Road (12th biggest stadium in all of England even before expanding it), a very solid squad overall (which is predicted to win League 1) and an 18-year-old Fabian Delph sitting in the midfield ready to become a star. Sorry if that's player-naming, but I don't think Delph is exactly a secret hidden gem seeing how he's an England youth international, and Aston Villa just snatched him up.

If you want a lower-league challenge, don't go with Leeds. It's too easy.

Well, for starters, AFC Wimbledon have a higher league position...

Regardless, neither of them will ever be much bigger than Aldershot, and that's saying something.

Considering they have been around longer than us that could go some way to being the reason. i wish AFC all the best as i think their fans like ours did the right thing.

Thats saying what? A football team ran by fans for fans charging a hell of a lot less than teams around us and not selling out.

The first save I ever played when I started FM '09 (my first FM) was with Leeds. I had no idea what I was doing - never setting tactics, training routines, or doing anything with my staff - and I still shot straight up into the EPL in two seasons, finished 4th and made it into Europe in season three, and kept rolling from there.

I dont believe this to be honest

I dont believe this to be honest

Really? Well, it's true!

I've read accounts from others who've found Leeds very easy to manage in-game. The starting squad is so good that I think I only lost one or two games the first season.

Fabian Delph became an almost-instant superstar for me; I was getting bids of $25m+ from all the rich clubs by the third year. The squad has several players who were able to be at least decent in the EPL, like Paul Huntington, Tom Elliot and Jonathan Howson. With other teams in League 1 and below, I've usually found it necessary to clean house almost entirely. I'm doing that even now with Preston in the Champ. League. But with Leeds I was able to hit the ground running with what I inherited and just let age and contracts run their own course, pretty much.

I won't name any off-squad players, but let's say I found it very easy to attract and afford about half a dozen players off the England U-21s once I got into the Championship League and above.

The stadium alone puts you head and shoulders above your lower-league competitors in finances, and Leeds has top-notch facilities to start as well. I think Leeds' reputation is on the high end of "National," too, as I only got snubbed due to reputation from players at the very biggest clubs. And that stopped after I finished 4th in the EPL.

P.S. I still have a match saved from that game where we shocked Tottenham in a later FA Cup round, beating them at Elland Road after scraping a draw at Spurs. Winning that match had me running around the house screaming and doing the airplane for about three minutes. Seriously.

Easy is one thing but putting in no effort using stock tactics and no signings then achieving back to back promotion followed by champions league football sounds a little far fetched to me

I only used the stock tactics for most of the first season. And I did make in-game adjustments. Then I read TT&F and built my own tactics from scratch. Still, we hardly lost or drew even before that. It wasn't until the second season that I made my own training routines (based off TT's) and got my coaching set up properly

I don't think that squad could do well in Champ. League being run in newbie mode as it was in League 1, but in League 1 Leeds is a powerhouse even if you change nothing.

And I didn't say I made NO signings; I made quite a few, just not the first season. Start up a new game and take a look at the squad for yourself, if you never have. There's really no weak spot. There are a few overpaid older players, but that's about it.

Archived