Who are the 'sleeping giants' in the lower leagues?

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The one that springs to mind is AFC telford.

Just before Telford united went out of business they had rotated their stadium 90 degrees, built a Telford Hotel on the grounds and made it a 10,000 seater stadium (they never put all the seats in, so some of it is standing, but it could easily be done right)

I think they are in the BS N/S atm.

I know that the championship is being shot down as 'lower league' but irrelavent of what the editor says, Crystal Palace has a potential for a HUGE stadium (45,000+) In the 80s/90s they started massively expanding the stadium and adding a second teir on top, but they only managed to do one end behind the goal, that stand takes something like 8K people, so if they finished the stadium to the same quality (which they had planning permission for 15 years ago) it would be 8 at each end, 16 down each side and the corners for a total of 48,000

Well, for starters, AFC Wimbledon have a higher league position...

Regardless, neither of them will ever be much bigger than Aldershot, and that's saying something.

Well, statistically, AFC Wimbledon will be in the premiership ages before Aldershot hehe, theres no other teams in england eating up divisions as fast as they do. They even got the longest run of league games without defeat in english football history now. Anyway, I tested them in the demo, and imo, its one of the better prospects to work with among the conference sides. Low debt, high stadium attendance, means staying green is not that hard, which again generally makes you able to eventually fill your side.

In real life, if I am not mistaken, theyre currently mid-league, where I guess they will stay for this season. Then I have a hunch (which statistics back me up on) they will gain 2nd. div. status in 2-3 years from this season. Teams got enough local support and "playerbase" to manage that. I dont see passing Aldershot as a real hindrance for them, more kicking MK-Dons in the groins soon enough.

Luton Town, Leeds United, Notts County, Nottingham Forrest, Millwall, Norwich City, Derby County, Leicester City, Charlton Athletic.

Don't really think you can call Leicester "sleeping giants" mate. We do get big crowds for a Championship side, and have the infra-structure and fanbase of a mid-table Premiership side, but I always thought "sleeping giant" meant a side who were giants in the past. Leicester have never really been a "giant" in the past, we have been a top half Premiership sides numerous times in the past, and in Lineker, Banks and Shilton, have developed 3 of England's greatest ever players, but we've never really been a top side, consistently challenging for the title or anything.

in holland there are a few clubs who play below what they should be.

Feyenoord - playing a 8th position in 2009 is in fan base the 2nd or thirst club in holland won ECI and EC III titels in the past.

FC Utrecht 4th city of holland, Utrecht have the potential to be a top club.

Den haag as mentioned before are relegation canidates but are the 5th city of holland and could and should be a top team.

1th division

Cambuur are true sleeping giants, they are rivals of heerenveen but should potentialy be able to be bigger then heerenveen.

Heereveen is a small vilage compared to big city that (cambuur) leeuwarden is.

HFC Haarlem is a true challenge, as good as bankrupt hanging in the lower regions of 1th division. from coming season 1 tema wil relegate from 1th division. HFC Haarlem once i think even played european football and being the club where Ruud Gullit came from is about to relegate to the amateurs and end up bank rupt.

more challenges, AZ current champions in holland have just lost there sugar daddy after becoming champions again after 28 years.

They are going towards a financial heavy time, im not sure if the coming version FM 2010 wil have this included as its a very recent bankrupt but by using the editor you could replay the situation and try to keep them at the top.

Archived