The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not surprised they rejected us, I hope Alves puts in a transfer request and pushes them all the way though. Maybe if we offer them one of our right backs and £23m we can snag him, he'd definitely be an amazing buy (but then, I suppose I said that about Shevchenko too)

Any team will push up the price when selling players to Chelsea un4tunately.

If I was a Chelsea supporter I would be v worried about:

1. Not having proven adequate backup for Drogba

2. The apparent loss of Robben

3. Ballack and Sheva being poor though the team can live with this.

4. More importantly "and coming from a liverpool fan lol" you seem to have lost a bit of quality compared to how u used to play over the past 2 years, maybe a few less options now when going forward.

Still, finishing second to Manu this year is still a decent finish for Chelsea (which will still be above my team)

Originally posted by Sephiroth:

Any team will push up the price when selling players to Chelsea un4tunately.

If I was a Chelsea supporter I would be v worried about:

4. More importantly "and coming from a liverpool fan lol" you seem to have lost a bit of quality compared to how u used to play over the past 2 years, maybe a few less options now when going forward.

Still, finishing second to Manu this year is still a decent finish for Chelsea (which will still be above my team)

1. I expect Kalou, Sheva and Pizzaro to at least bag us a few if Drogba isnt on show/injured. If not then we are a team that usually scores from all over the pitch anyway so i expect Lampard, SWP, J.Cole, Essien, Malouda and even Sinclair to bag a few goals this season as well.

2. Robben was always going anyway, besides how often is he fit anyway. He will be missed because he can turn a game when he play's but if we get 20 million for a player that is more brittle than a man made from glass i would take the cash and play Malouda.

3. I expect both players to make improvements on last "settling in" season. Sheva will score a lot more in the league this year.

4. What have we lost? Crespo, Gudjohnson. I mean seriously we havnt changed much in 2 years. Plus we have been told by Mourinho that we will be playing less defensive when we can afford to this season (which im very interested in seeing) Im also looking forward to seeing some younger players getting a chance.

Not that I was there but cheers Geo - how did you fell you played today? Really we should have scored more than three, and you basically scored from your only two chances (you maybe had one or two other half-chances) so maybe the scoreline flattered you a little, but on the other hand if your 'keeper wasn't to pathetic oyu may well have got a point.

Kapo sure has some left-foot.

I think we worked very, very hard and the score was fair considering you missed 2 gilt edged chances, but Doyle conceded 2 sloppy goals.

We created chances tbf, Kapo's goal was brilliant and all the fans who had never saw him and said he was average might have been shut up.

Forssell is getting fitter and fitter and that means he will score goals for us, and I think when Ridgewell and Djourou get more of a partnership going, we will be much better at the back.

I also felt Quedrue was poor...

Also, thanks Chelsea fans I saw there for the most civilised Pizza at an Italian resteraunt on Kings Rd before a match ever, brilliant.

Yeah Forsell and Djourou will be pretty key for you this season I think - it looks like you will score goals, and as long as you can convert that into wins at home I reckon you've got a shot at staying up. Never been a massive fan of Bruce the tactician though.

I have to be honest in saying I thought Kapo was very average bar the goal, he was completely anonymous to me nearly the whole game bar the goal. Muamba looked promising for you and Forssell if he stays fit is also a good player, always liked him when he was with us.

As for us I thought some of our play was first class, Malouda and SWP were immense on the wings, Pizarro also looked good as did Essien once again. Lampard fairly quiet but some of his passing was very good, particularly the diagonals to SWP. Kalou very lively as well and played a lovely ball for Malouda's goal. Defence bar Johnson was pretty good.

MOTM: Malouda

AFFG: I really thought Cech for the first one as I have no idea why hes running to his right as ball (it seemed to me was going a few yards wide) and for 2nd it has to be Johnson, awful attempt at a tackle.

Assists: SWP (2) and Kalou

^^

My thoughts in the other thread.

1. Pizarro was great today, fully expect him to be at least 'adequate' for us. Showed great class, a good first touch, a bit of flair where it was appropriate and good vision. Won't have this annoying wait where the media get on his back about not having scored his first goal for Chelsea yet too after today.

2. Malouda, Sweep, Joe Cole, Kalou, Sinclair. I think we'll survive.

3. Ballack was good for the later half of the season and he'll continue that this season and be one of our most important players as long as Jose gives him the chance. Not sure about Sheva but I still think it was just a settling in issue and he'll be firing on all cylinders this season. 15+ goals from him I think.

4. We have more options than ever going forward ffs. Where did you get that idea from? Last two seasons it's generally just been lump it to Drogba but today we had some nice wingplay going on, short triangular passing up to the strikers feet and overlapping full backs. We looked great going forward today and had plenty of variation.

my MoM: SWP. He really looks promising this season.

affg, on the first maybe Essien for not challenging well enough on the first flick. on the 2nd Glen for that i'll take the ball and run off atitude before he even made the tackle right, loses the rebound boom it's in.

I would love Sheva to go good this season but honestly with him injured atm and Pizzaro going to provide as much as he already looks capable off i don't think Sheva will have a lot of chances. maybe he can win his space when the ANC comes.

BTW i don't think we should pay that much for Alves so i hope Chelsea keep to that "reasonable" offer JM said in an interview earlier. We should maybe look to other places..someone stronger defending than attacking..even if in teams that don't want to sell they won't resist about half of those 30M€ sevilla just rejected.

Just remembered not many mentions of this above.

Record \o/

and JM isn't far away from his 100th game at home without losing. according to skysports he's only 1 game away, according to portuguese commentator today he's 4 games away.

JM has said he's on 99 so one game it appears to be.

anyway his last home defeat was with Porto against Beira-Mar icon_biggrin.gif in 2002 icon_eek.gif

Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by # Geo:

Chelsea fans afb, went to some Pizzeria on Kings Rd, talking to Chelsea fans, most civilised fans I have met in a long time. Thank You.

Must be having a laugh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not at all, was looking for somewhere for a beer, sat down next to this Chelsea fan, was talking about football in general and the game, lovely man and very welcoming.

All the other Chelsea fans I spoke to there were also very nice, even the one man who was being verbally abused by some stupid little Zulu wannabe.

Originally posted by H.O.V.I:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by # Geo:

Chelsea fans afb, went to some Pizzeria on Kings Rd, talking to Chelsea fans, most civilised fans I have met in a long time. Thank You.

Must be having a laugh </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Should have thrown the pizza at them eh icon_wink.gif

Sorry, that's awful.

Originally posted by Eric Cartman:

Shaun starting to play full 90 minute games now icon_cool.gif

He's been improving since Christmas (remember that lovely left-footer against Spurs in the Cup replay?) and looked brilliant yesterday - I would have him and Malouda ahead of Cole in a 4-4-2 at the moment.

• Administrators

Yeah do, he's hurt and with Liverpool at the weekend there's no need to risk him when Mikel or Diarra or Sidwell can play.

SWP MotM yesterday quite easily, fantastic performance, although on another day Malouda would win it, he's immense. Pizarro very very good too, great touch, awareness, and effort.

For statsman, SWP 2 assists, Kalou 1, GJ affg, not claiming anyone at fault for the opener. Actim MotM was, believe it or not, Ben Haim. He got the three bonus points, ahead of Essien and Malouda.

Daniel Alves was left out of Sevilla's Champions League squad, which normally implies an imminent sale. It's said they want £24m for him, which considering his talent and the sums of money being thrown around for lesser players today, is a fair price. If we buy him it would definitely mean the end of Glen Johnson, as the two are similar types of player although Alves is both infinitely more skilful and dominant going forward as well as being a better defender (although that's not really saying much), while Paulo Ferreira, for all his faults, would then be important to keep for his value as a more defensive option at full-back. I'll go out on a limb and say that if we get Alves and he is allowed to play his natural game (unlike Ashley Cole, whose attacking potency has been largely neutered by José's obsession with defensive solidity), we'll have the league in the bag.

A question relating to the premierleague.com fantasy league; I used my wildcard to completely remodel my team, and among other changes put Pizarro in there instead of Torres (Saving £2m, and Torres isn't playing in midweek), and I'm wondering if you think that's a good idea? I thought he played very well against Brum so I think he'll score at a decent rate, but the question is of course if he's going to play often enough to make it worthwhile? Or would Kalou be a better option at the same prize?

Or should I simply look elsewhere?

Originally posted by Lathund:

A question relating to the premierleague.com fantasy league; I used my wildcard to completely remodel my team, and among other changes put Pizarro in there instead of Torres (Saving £2m, and Torres isn't playing in midweek), and I'm wondering if you think that's a good idea? I thought he played very well against Brum so I think he'll score at a decent rate, but the question is of course if he's going to play often enough to make it worthwhile? Or would Kalou be a better option at the same prize?

Or should I simply look elsewhere?

Wouldn't want either Pizzaro or Kalou in a fantasy team tbh, they'll play a fair few times but you want people that will play every week.

• SI Staff

Daniel Alves seems signed icon_redface.gif

SWP would struggle in the conference... that kid is so incredibly bad it's not normal.. granted, he did have an assist, but out of 269 passes, the odd one lands correctly.

Simply has been horrid. I had high hopes for him after his terrible season last year, but he started right where he left off at the Charity Shield already

• SI Staff

I have seen him play against B'ham he was crap

against Man Utd he was utter sh ite

and in the Feyenoord friendly where he was utter sh ite

but fine, go think he's good, go select him for England, and have the whole world laugh at the ******.

What's a winger who can't pass, can't cross, can't dribble and can't finish. World class my arse.

Archived