The 2007/08 Chelsea Thread

Philip Rolfe

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by orion318:

Nop i said that there aren't a lot of creative playmakers in the EPL cause it isn't the sort of player that does well here, then someone said that i was wrong, and stated ronaldo, rooney and others as an example..to which i replyed that ZZ, rui costa, Riquelme were the sort of playmakers i was reffering too...

and that these sort of players (not necesserily the one's mentioned) don't really suit the style of play in the EPL. Unless of course you build a team for the way they play.

But lets drop the subject it's been confusing.

In other news, aparently the Robben deal might go through but then JM will bring in Daniel Alves so he has another pacy wing man. icon14.gif

There aren’t lot of creative players in clubs with MANAGERS. Managers want soldiers, not unpredictable players. Fortunately, we don’t have that problem (managers) in Spain.

IMO you are wrong regarding creative players. Pires is a poor man’s Zidane and did very well at ARSENAL, Bergkamp did very well at ARSENAL too. Cesc Fábregas is doing very well when many people thought that he couldn’t because of the tempo/strength of the Premiership. Arsenal have created a good environment for creative players and they have won three leagues in 10 years.

Do you remember Zola? He was a “dwarf†tearing the Premiership apart.

When Spain played against England at Bernabéu two years ago, I think, Xavi, the softer player of the world, gave the English super overrated midfielders a lesson.

In better news.

Alex has been granted a work permit by the Home Office and is now set to hold talks with Chelsea.

Chelsea have been looking to secure Alex from PSV Eindhoven for some time and can now attempt to push through a deal.

The Brazil international has yet to agree terms or take a medical.

A statement on the official Chelsea website said: "At a hearing today, Alex was granted a work permit.

"He still has to agree personal terms with Chelsea Football Club and have a medical."

Lampard has featured in all Chelsea's pre-season matches despite suffering a minor injury during their stay at an American training camp.

The 29-year-old has not missed a single training session since collecting the knock and is set to play a major part in Sunday's FA Community Shield showdown with Manchester United.

A Chelsea statement read: "Contrary to speculation, Frank Lampard has only suffered a minor injury - sustained over three weeks ago whilst training in Los Angeles.

"The injury has not required any pain-killing injections nor affected Frank's ability to play or to take part in any one of Chelsea's training sessions."

Chelsea issued the statement to counter suggestions that the England midfielder, yet to sign a new contract with the club, would miss the start of the Premier League season.

Lampard is expected to play a pivotal role in Chelsea's midfield against United on Sunday and the confirmation that his injury is of a minor nature came just hours after the club revealed that Brazilian defender Alex has been granted a work permit.

So acording to Chelsea there's no broken toe.. icon_confused.gif

• Administrators

In a word? No.

Had a lot of potential and was pretty good for our youth teams but then ended up as dead wood in the reserves, went on loan to Cardiff last season and just ended up in their reserves, never played for their seniors. Probably still has talent somewhere but I doubt he'll find it.

He went to the same school as Mancienne (same age), that'll be why he's showed up there I guess.

Yeah, he's training/on trial. Showed a few decent touches tonight, but hard to tell ofc.

We need a wide player though, badly.

Sahar took his two goals very well tonight. Very well indeed. Mancienne a bit shaky, but tbh he is surrounded by guff so I can't blame him for being a bit skittish.

I'd expect more for the pair of them, Ballack was lousy last season but he's still a good player and could make an impact. Robben can go as far as I'm concerned, but if one assumes that his price is around £21m, I'd expect at least £9-10m for Ballack given the strength of his reputation and the prices being thrown around for lesser players at the moment. I'd rather we sold Makelele, who looked utterly off the pace in pre-season, or Diarra ahead of him to be honest.

Originally posted by yovan:

Would you guys sell Ballack and Robben for €40m (27m)?

Apparently Real Madrid have offered that. Many sites and radio stations are reporting it.

If even less likely that the pack would go for that price since Chelsea reportedly asked 40M€ just for Ballack once the Madrid interest for him was public.

And even robben is worth more than the 21..if wingers with potential are going for 25M Robben should be around the 30M€ mark and 10M€ for Ballack is mighty cheap even if he's 31.

At least 50€ IMO for the pair to start thinking about it.

And then what backup to get icon_confused.gif

Might not need anyone for robben since sinclair can move up the ranks..but for Ballack.

A youngster with a future? (and who?) or a made player (first name that will pop in the tabloids will be Deco no doubt)

Frank Lampard had a further conclusive scan today on his injured toe.

It has now been confirmed that he has broken a toe and ruptured a tendon but this will not prevent him playing on Sunday.

icon_eek.gif Sounds painful but think they know what they are doing

Don't really understand the point of him playing in a friendly?

Would be gutted if Ballack left, one of my favourite players and so so undervalued last season, was absolutely crucial to us after January. Not as bothered about Robben, we have Malouda/Cole/Sweep/Kalou, and getting a bit fed-up of his injuries. Would stil rather he stayed though.

If Ballack leaves we still have Essien/Mikel/Maka/Diarra/Lampard/Sidwell in centre-midfield but none of those six have anything like the same creativity/vision...

Oh, and why the **** haven't we bought a right-back.

Originally posted by Didier:

Don't really understand the point of him playing in a friendly?

Cause technically it's not a friendly it's the "Supercup" and first chance at silverware this season (even if a minor minor trophy).

EPL might be the only place no one thinks of the game between the Cup winner and the Champion as a real game icon_biggrin.gif

EPL might be the only place no one thinks of the game between the Cup winner and the Champion as a real game icon_biggrin.gif

I'd obviously rather we did win tomorrow but I'd gladly trade it in for three points against Birmingham next weekend, and I'm sure most United fans wold say the same thing in regards to their game with Reading.

Originally posted by TheRandomGuy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

I'd obviously rather we did win tomorrow but I'd gladly trade it in for three points against Birmingham next weekend, and I'm sure most United fans wold say the same thing in regards to their game with Reading. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

League far more important than the Community Shield

(Sorry clicked post now too soon on above post)

Originally posted by Hom3r:

Have you released a player called Harry Worley? He played for us vs Braga and i remember him for you on FM? or possibly it is an unknown loan deal?

He's on trial, I'm guessing its with a view to a possible loan?

Originally posted by orion318:

any word on how the Alex deal is going?..bit long time time to agree personal terms..

Work permit issue. He was refused entry into the country at Heathrow Airport and sent back to Brazil. All been sorted now though, I think, and he should sign next week.

Originally posted by TheRandomGuy:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by orion318:

any word on how the Alex deal is going?..bit long time time to agree personal terms..

Work permit issue. He was refused entry into the country at Heathrow Airport and sent back to Brazil. All been sorted now though, I think, and he should sign next week. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know the WP thing..but it's been a long time since the WP went through IMO..personal terms with these sort of players usually go through in a day..unless he's still in Brazil and not come back to discuss it

Worley's on the bench for us today, so he's clearly not left. He'll probably go on loan, he's apparently been improving quite substantially over the past year and Mourinho supposedly rates him.

We've also offered a trial to some kid called Uros Palibrk from Slovenian 2nd division club Triglav. Apparently Inter and Lecce are also interested in him after he scored 55 goals in 26 U-14 matches.

• Administrators

Fairly pleased with today's performance really. Standouts were Ash and SWP, I don't care what the mugs in the match thread say about Evra vs Ash, Ashley deserved MotM today for quite comprehensively shutting Ronaldo down so that he had to switch wings. Didn't put a foot wrong, was excellent defensively and provided a cracking assist. Evra may have been immense going forward but SWP made him look a bit silly a few times as it seems he's learned again how to beat a man. But yeah, Ash won't ever get the proper praise he may occasionally deserve because of his reputation.

Ben Haim was solid and assured which is everything I ask for from a backup. Lampard was quiet, Mikel was Mikel, Essien played within himself. Joey was off, Johnson was alright but he has no composure at all and panics a lot. Malouda was alright, took his goal very well.

Injuries in mind, I'm reckoning we'll have this next week

Cech

Johnson

Ben Haim

Carvalho

Cole

Essien

Mikel/Sidwell

Lampard

Malouda

SWP

Drogba/Shev/Pizarro (if Didi is fit ofc he plays)

Originally posted by Hom3r:

Have you released a player called Harry Worley? He played for us vs Braga and i remember him for you on FM? or possibly it is an unknown loan deal?

Was on the bench today, nearly came on but game ended.

I didn't think Johnson did badly, he made some good interceptions and even if he rushed at moments, I think he gave a respectable performance. He's clearly not at a high enough standard to hold down the position yet, but if José can tutor him as he did Joe Cole I think he could still do OK.

Otherwise, it was a predictably mundane affair on both sides, though United created much better chances than us. Lamps played like someone with a broken toe, Ashley Cole was good defensively but offered absolutely nil going forward, Essien and Mikel were passable but didn't really make an impact. Sweep was better than usual but still gave the ball away a lot, Ben-Haim looked a bit unsure of himself. Malouda was one of our best, playing out of position up front and scoring a good goal. It's definitely time for us to vary our playing style now, you could see that if United had been fitter they'd have won it and I think most teams will be prepared for our slow build-up game now. We certainly need to start pushing the full-backs up to support the wide men up front, who look isolated most of the time. Daniel Alves would certainly be the man to do that, I'm personally hoping to see the back of Robben, who has all the talent but none of the dedication or the fitness. Hopefully Drogba will be back by next week, Pizarro looks good but clearly needs match practice and I'd be surprised if Shevchenko manages to come good this season.

Decent performance today, if we could actually inject some pace into our play we could have created a lot more chances. Too many times we could have hit them on counter attack only to turn back and play casually. Now onto individual performances.

Cech - Played well during game but never inspires me with confidence during penalty kicks though.

Johnson - Decent at points, still lacks the concentration to play in our defence, too many times caught way behind Ricky, TBH and Ashley.

Cole - Immense today, completely shut out Ronaldo when he was against him and a great assist.

Ricky - Decent, didnt really have much to deal with if im honest.

TBH - Thought was very impressive, some great positioning, great back up to have.

Essien - Pretty average today, didnt see him doing much, shouldnt be playing DM, should have been Mikel, hes wasted here.

Mikel - Some decent touches and passing, be much better suited to DM role as hes pretty ineffective going forward.

Lampard - Worked hard thats about it, anonymous on the ball.

Cole - Some decent touches but pretty ineffective when he was through the middle.

SWP - Very good game, skinned both left backs a few times, just needs a better delivery at points.

Malouda - Also very impressive, some very nice touches and a lovely goal to round it off.

Pizzaro - Some good touches, needs some more match practice.

Sidwell - Didnt have much time, didnt do much.

Diarra - Some decent passing but not much time.

Sinclair - No real time but one decent run, hope he gets chances next season.

Juni: Hope you are well. Have you been to any youth games at the new training ground? What's it like for parking etc? Can you just turn up on gameday and they allow you in or what? I'll have to speak to you when I return to London icon14.gif

Also I read about some Italian youth player joining, and the Chelsea site mention Jeffrey Broomer , which I presume is Bruma???

Guest Tonidopa

Chelsea's bad record with penalties is not just bad luck. I'm very surprised that a manager of the talent of Mourinho doesn't control this crucial details.

It's not great goalkeeping, it's not the posts or bad luck.

It's just that time after time Chelsea's penalties plain SUCK. Even Lampard had lost his confidence from CL semifinals against Liverpool.

Good game all things considered but ruined by lack of penalty training.

Everytime a game of ours could go to penalties Mourinho should save a sub and bring on Carlo. Simple as that. Cech is so dire at penalties it's actually funny because he's so good at everything else.

Missed the game today icon_frown.gif Bloody American TV not having it on as far as I could find.

Good news about Alex and his WP. If Robben leaves and we get Alves it could work out very well for us as he offers pacey attacks down the wing from right full-back. With Ash on the other wing more than capable of pushing forwards we could have some excellent opportunities to attack hard and fast using them overlapping Malouda/Sweep/Joey Cole.

I'd still absolutely love the 3-5-2 formation I posted to get tried out against some awful teams like Fulham and the likes though.

Originally posted by LokedOut420:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

Missed the game today icon_frown.gif Bloody American TV not having it on as far as I could find.

It might have been on Fox Soccer Channel, but it usually isn't included in the standard cable package. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>yeah, it was on FSC.

Guest Tonidopa
Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

It was for free on a national platform here in Spain. No cable, no satellite. Also spanish public TV has picked up the exclusive Premiership rights so we have 2 matches every weekend which is not bad. Public TV commentators suck big time though.

Originally posted by poyplemonkeys:

I'd still absolutely love the 3-5-2 formation I posted to get tried out against some awful teams like Fulham and the likes though.

Reckon cottage will enjoy that comment icon_biggrin.gif.

But seriously, Johnson got caught out of position several times today, when are we gonna sign a decent right back?!

Archived