Most ANNOYING thing in FM08

Phase One - A Player is on transfer list, the club (not a rival, not even in same country) want £11m. Okay - you bid £11m.

Phase Two - Club turns down the offer. Despite you having offered what they want, and you can see that they have accepted this offer from other teams. You think "oh what the hell" and offer £13m just to get it sorted.

Phase Three - Club turns down the offer!!! Time is running out to and the window will close soon. You send an enquiry, asking how much they want.

Phase Four - Club say they want £11m. Okay offer that.

Phase Five - They have turned down what they have just told me they want!!!!

Phase Six - Rip FM08 CD out of computer, and do something else.

Please SI stop this stupidity. Sure it is hard to prize top assets from club so some prices will be high but if a player is transfer listed, a wanted price is determined and then they themselves tell you "offer that" you should surely be able to get the player! This is seriously ********.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yep, i agree.. the transfer system needs some serious workin on for 09, and i hope its getting it!! had another dodgy xperience earlier on today...

offer out transfer listed player, with an asking price set to £3.2m

get enquiries back, we're interested, how much do you want for him??

err, his asking price????

oh no, then we're not interested any more.

24 hours later

on second thoughts, we would like to but him, how much do you want for him??

strangely enough, i still want his asking price.

oh, then we're not interested.

couple of days pass, and then...

actually, we WILL buy him from you, and, cos we're such nice guys, we'll pay what he's actually valued at, not your asking price! :mad:

yep, i agree.. the transfer system needs some serious workin on for 09, and i hope its getting it!! had another dodgy xperience earlier on today...

24 hours later

actually, we WILL buy him from you, and, cos we're such nice guys, we'll pay what he's actually valued at, not your asking price! :mad:

Yeah they come in threes or fours, and for two to three players. You spend all your time just saying "yes I want what I have said I wanted"...speakadi ENGLISH!!!!

Love the game, always have since the original Championship Manager box. But I am losing my patience with the transfer market.

I have just lost two (and is about to be three) players to clubs just because the clubs will not accept what they say they want for players. Or even a few million more. :(

When a poor team goes 4-2-4 at the start of a match and for some reason unlike at the end of the match you cant do anything to stop them scoring. Plus their GK gets a 6 despite saving 17 shots on target, 2 of which penalties and several one on ones. Their only player to get above a 7 is the guy who scores both the goals from their only two shots of the match. My team is playing on all 7's and 8's. We draw 2-2.

yes if you did not guess this has just happened.

I have just lost two (and is about to be three) players to clubs just because the clubs will not accept what they say they want for players. Or even a few million more. :(

yeah i seem to find that as well, i assumed it was because im at Liverpool, a "rich" club (in my game anyways!!) so i always end up paying/offering a lot more than other teams for the same players!!

Just to update the first post, I lost out on all 3 players.

I am Chelsea, it is July 2014. I bid above the 'stated asking price' and still lost out on..

Albiol from Valencia.

Garvin from Sheff Utd

Babel from Real Madrid

Just ticks me off. :(

The weeks leading up to the transfer window and all the way through January & the summer, I fear the inevitable press speculation questions that clog up my inbox, clubs repeatedly bidding for players even though they aren't for sale, clubs asking for a player on loan even though he's been a 1st team regular for 5 seasons!

Also with the loan offers, I set a player to "not available for loan" and after some time the game seems to forget the setting and I have more offers coming in.

I don't like being able to negotiate with players (although you can with a few), they won't accept a penny under their demands.

clubs asking for a player on loan even though he's been a 1st team regular for 5 seasons!

Also with the loan offers, I set a player to "not available for loan" and after some time the game seems to forget the setting and I have more offers coming in.

definitely agree with ya on those two.. soo damn annoying when theyre asking for someone on loan who played almost every game last season in your own first team!!!

On a similar note...

This isn't something that is the MOST annoying thing, but it definitely bugs me.

You have a look at the players available to you, by using the "Ask assistant to filter out unrealistic targets"

You're left with a number of players. One of the players on the list, you happen to like the look of, and he's in your financial range.

You bid for said player.

Bid is accepted.

You get to the contract negotiations, and the player states his demands. Being the nice manager that you are, you agree to these demands, and offer the contract, waiting his ever pleasing acceptance so that he can join your team and start banging the goals in.

2 days later, he comes back rejecting the contract, stating that he's not interested in a move to your club at this time.

WHAT?

WHAT?

:eek:

Excuse me?

What on earth happened in those 2 days that made you drastically change your mind? :mad:

Sometimes, when I offer contracts to players and agree to their demands the next day or later they say the basic wage offer is unacceptable, but when negotiating, they still want the same amount. So I have to 'guess' what (how much more) to offer to get them to sign the contract. If they want more, why do the keep asking the same amount? :confused:

Hehe. I've got a guy on the TL, 34 so I'm done with him and he asked for a transfer. Team bids, I accept, he rejects saying he's happy playing for me.

Erm. You request a transfer nubbin. Make your mind up!

On a similar note...

You get to the contract negotiations, and the player states his demands. Being the nice manager that you are, you agree to these demands, and offer the contract, waiting his ever pleasing acceptance so that he can join your team and start banging the goals in.

2 days later, he comes back rejecting the contract, stating that he's not interested in a move to your club at this time.

WHAT?

WHAT?

:eek:

Excuse me?

What on earth happened in those 2 days that made you drastically change your mind? :mad:

You been out murdering Squirrels again?

Had a classic earlier. Gareth Bale has been at Chelsea 4 years, is a regular now, lists Chelsea as a fave club, is vice captain, has trained up dozens of good youngens, lists me as his fave personnel. yet clubs like Sunderland, Wolves and Wigan keep offering low amounts for him...

Why does status 'slip'. You press 'not available for loans' and you go back in when someone offers to loan them to find that is no longer chosen. Same with the transfer listed or other option, so many times I go in to find all these choices un-pressed.

God I hope this is all sorted by FM09. :(

Sometimes, when I offer contracts to players and agree to their demands the next day or later they say the basic wage offer is unacceptable, but when negotiating, they still want the same amount. So I have to 'guess' what (how much more) to offer to get them to sign the contract. If they want more, why do the keep asking the same amount? :confused:

UGH! This has been happening since FM06 too.

And the bug where sometimes, if you keep negotiating back and forth a negotiation comes up where they want to join you club, but as a ????, and you just agree and then the next contract goes through fine. Bug's been there since '06. Sometimes causes a CTD for a second too.

We really need a competing product to get SI off their arses and fix these things! Their cash cow is too easy as it is apparently...

I have to say, I haven't experienced any of this transfer-system madness. Sure, I've lost out on players, but they probably preferred the deal on offer at the other club etc.

As for losing to the bottom club, possibly, you were a bit arrogant in the press leading up to the game, and ****ed the other team's players off? Or, went gung-ho, expecting to hammer them, instead of sticking to your normal tactics? Teams at the bottom, as in real life, fight for their lives. Can often be the hardest games in a season, if you don't approach them properly.

That's my experience anyhow... ;)

You know Jimboola, this was happening to me again last night, and since we'd just been talking about it I did notice something:

The change in asking price happened after our transfer budgets were affected by other transfers. So it could be a recalculation based on need (selling team) or on greed (buying team), and as such, a pretty realistic feature.

As to the contract thing, I noticed this happening again for me, right after I had adjusted my budgets to allow for more wages. Could be a coincidence, or it could be a re-valuation of the prospective player (a free transfer in Columbia to a Columbian 2nd div team, btw) of the club's ability to pay him. If so, its a good feature really and could be made more and more realistic by taking into account reputations, desperation, etc..

What do you think?

Ok, my next annoying thing.

Theres a 19 year old Belgian player, playing in the Depths of Belgian's second division. He's on £300 per week, and is worth £8,000. My scouts rate him highly, so I bid for him, being very generous to the team he plays for, offering them £200,000. (If he turns out to be world class, It will make me happy knowing the team he started at at least got something decent for him :D ). They accept, of course, and it puts me on the Contract negotiation screen.

It reads :

Player X is not interested in a move to Club Y.

Excuse me?

So me being me, I thought, sod off. You're joining me, and offered him an extremely large contract that would have made him the 2nd highest paid player at my club, and was nearly 20 times the contract value he was getting, expecting him to say, "Oh alright then, if you're going to offer me THAT much...."

But no. He rejects me. Leaving me frustrated.

Thats not so bad Nep, I hear you say.

Ohhhhhhhhh, but I'm not finished yet.

The following transfer window, I take my regular look at my shortlist, and then hit the transfer screen to see bids that broke down and why, and Player X takes another shine, and I thought - "Oh yea, I remember him. Lets try again".

So I click on his name, only to find he was sold a few days earlier for £16,000 to a Belgian FIRST DIVISION club, and is earning £500 per week.

My word, thats annoying. Like anyone would turn down the chance of 20x pay increase and potential Premiership and Euro football for a belgian 1st division team.

:mad:

Ok, my next annoying thing.

Theres a 19 year old Belgian player, playing in the Depths of Belgian's second division. He's on £300 per week, and is worth £8,000. My scouts rate him highly, so I bid for him, being very generous to the team he plays for, offering them £200,000. (If he turns out to be world class, It will make me happy knowing the team he started at at least got something decent for him :D ). They accept, of course, and it puts me on the Contract negotiation screen.

It reads :

Player X is not interested in a move to Club Y.

Excuse me?

So me being me, I thought, sod off. You're joining me, and offered him an extremely large contract that would have made him the 2nd highest paid player at my club, and was nearly 20 times the contract value he was getting, expecting him to say, "Oh alright then, if you're going to offer me THAT much...."

But no. He rejects me. Leaving me frustrated.

Thats not so bad Nep, I hear you say.

Ohhhhhhhhh, but I'm not finished yet.

The following transfer window, I take my regular look at my shortlist, and then hit the transfer screen to see bids that broke down and why, and Player X takes another shine, and I thought - "Oh yea, I remember him. Lets try again".

So I click on his name, only to find he was sold a few days earlier for £16,000 to a Belgian FIRST DIVISION club, and is earning £500 per week.

My word, thats annoying. Like anyone would turn down the chance of 20x pay increase and potential Premiership and Euro football for a belgian 1st division team.

:mad:

I once had a similar situation with an Irish regen. I was manager of Middlesbrough and had a bid accepted by his club (St Patrick's Athletic, I think). I offered him the contract he wanted and he rejected. I went back and had another bid accepted by his club. I offered a much higher contract and he again rejected. I tried twice more offering him a much higher contract each time. Other Premier League and Scottish clubs were interested as well but he rejected them too. Next season he moved to Kilmarnock. Maybe he did not want to move to another country when he was 16 and decided to wait for another year.

BrightonTable.jpg

BrightonResults.jpg

This has got to be the MOST annoying thing, as it happens nearly every season. (Not to this extreme, but I regularly lose to the bottom team who finishes the season with about 5 wins. :mad:

It's the goals I have issue with! Look at how many are conceeded and scored! Barmy, 100+ conceeded, relegated team scoring 70+ *Hits head on table*

It's the goals I have issue with! Look at how many are conceeded and scored! Barmy, 100+ conceeded, relegated team scoring 70+ *Hits head on table*

Ohhh yes. It was mental. In that very same season, Liverpool, yes, Liverpool of the Coca Cola Championship scored 143 goals. Playing 46 Games, winning 33, drawing 11 and only losing 2.

I agree..this is a most annoying aspect of FM2008, but even MORE so is when you find out later that a player has joined another club rather than yours, and when checking what his new wage is, you find it is half what you offered him !

OR..when you offer a loan to someone and he chooses to join a club two divisions below yours !

I appreciate how SI are trying to involve us in the "realities" of the football world..terrific ! Love it !

But..this stuff borders on whimsy !

Brainless ?

I reckon.

Birdie

regens are my most annoying thing on 08

What..those dopey pictures of players ?

Turn them off in the Preferences..or, even better delete the folder.

Also delete hints.fmf..waste of time..

PB

I've just lost 4-0 to Leeds. They had 3 shots, 2 on target. I had 23 shots, 21 on target. :mad:

one thing i would like added is a team thing where you could say if the team as been playing good or need to look more shaper ect.plus i hate the thing when at the end of the game you get asked about an offside goal ect if you see your not happy with the ref the games makes out as if you have been tearing in to him there should be more options for that part like i was not to happy with the ref but they do a hard job.plus i want the option of being chairman and making the rules and hiring you own manager it would be great anyone agree.

Transfers can irritate.

I offer £20M for wonderkid.

Lazio want £22M+10% of next fee

I offer £18.5M+25% of next fee

Lazio want £30M for wonderkid

Wow! Never haggle with Lazio!

Try and unsettle the said wonderkid so he asks to be transfer listed. Sometimes it works.

I am not a huge fan of the transfer system in the game. I also feel the AI undervalue the players you manage and over value the players they are managing.

Phase One - A Player is on transfer list, the club (not a rival, not even in same country) want £11m. Okay - you bid £11m.

Phase Two - Club turns down the offer. Despite you having offered what they want, and you can see that they have accepted this offer from other teams. You think "oh what the hell" and offer £13m just to get it sorted.

Phase Three - Club turns down the offer!!! Time is running out to and the window will close soon. You send an enquiry, asking how much they want.

Phase Four - Club say they want £11m. Okay offer that.

Phase Five - They have turned down what they have just told me they want!!!!

Phase Six - Rip FM08 CD out of computer, and do something else.

Please SI stop this stupidity. Sure it is hard to prize top assets from club so some prices will be high but if a player is transfer listed, a wanted price is determined and then they themselves tell you "offer that" you should surely be able to get the player! This is seriously ********.

This should be sorted very unrealistic

24 hours later

Isnt this quite realistic? isnt it called transfer negiotiations?

i just love the ME for the way it handles DC/FC ball chasing

DC with pace/accel under 10 starting 2" away from ball

FC with pace/accel over 10 starting 1-1.5" away from ball

why does the DC ALWAYS get there 1st ????

On my FM 2007 career game I have a player with 19 acceleration and 16 pace and he usually wins those kind of 50/50 chases with a defender who's slower :) That is why I don't play 08 and I play 07, because the match engine is better!

• 3 weeks later...
On my FM 2007 career game I have a player with 19 acceleration and 16 pace and he usually wins those kind of 50/50 chases with a defender who's slower :) That is why I don't play 08 and I play 07, because the match engine is better!

Precisely !

With the two most recent issues of the game, hasn't the major change been the effect of "player adresses" at match start, and half time ?

This must be better balanced.

My suspicion IS..depending on what we input in player address, the score is computed and the match engine just plays out a script.

The main reason I feel this, is that despite what we input to change a situation, there is not enough impact to alter what result has already been decided upon.

FM2007 and 2008 are examples of "How to disempower gamers". Bit like Microsoft's Vista, "how to de-skill pc users".

PB.

Precisely !

With the two most recent issues of the game, hasn't the major change been the effect of "player adresses" at match start, and half time ?

This must be better balanced.

My suspicion IS..depending on what we input in player address, the score is computed and the match engine just plays out a script.

The main reason I feel this, is that despite what we input to change a situation, there is not enough impact to alter what result has already been decided upon.

FM2007 and 2008 are examples of "How to disempower gamers". Bit like Microsoft's Vista, "how to de-skill pc users".

PB.

I am not sure I fully understand you. If you are saying that the result of a match is computed as the start and then regardless of any tactical changes we make in the game we can't change the result, then I totally disagree with you. Here is a test to prove it start the match as normal and then make a change in the match where you put all your players on the wings including your goalkeeper and you will see how the tactical changes affect the match. I am not sure if that is what you meant and I may have misunderstood you.

I've had a very annoying experience with contract negotiations as a week or so ago I decided to have a change and not play with a big club, I went for Lewes (as they're somewhat local). Got them promoted first season, before the second season I need reinforcements to survive in BSP. I get a striker, a keeper and defenders on loan (all of league 1/2 quality) and all I need is a winger. I find a perfect player for my needs, currently out of contract and his wage demands are very sensible too. So I offer the contract and he comes back to me and says that he'd prefer a part time contract. Fair enough, did that... Next day, he's angered that I didnt offer him a full time contract? Strange, so I do that. And now he'd rather sign a part time deal. Went back and forth a few times and he always wanted whatever sort of contract I wasn't offering him.

Is there any way around these antics?

Archived