3D Match Engine - Do we want it or not?

Yes, change to cm's version. fifa's would take up too much memory as the player pictures and making them into figures. I like cm's way, with the little chess pieces running around!

3D match graphics are a pointless cosmetic addition as far as gameplay goes. It would be NICE, don't get me wrong, but there are far more important things to fix first.

Get the confidence, transfer market, player instructions, registration, media interraction, newgens in the far future, and club/player reputation weighting sorted and THEN look at developing 3D graphics.

Personally, I think the only real benefits reaped from 3D graphics will be marketing: "for the first time ever FM will have 3D graphics" in the same way the 2D graphics were touted as the biggest leap forward yet.

Originally posted by Ryan,,,:

But CM have had 3D graphics for years now.

Exactly, and it's still rubbish. Perhaps if they'd spent the time it took implementing a 3D match engine on actually improving the realism and gameplay they would be a decent FM rival by now. As it is they've spent time adding fancy graphics but the gameplay's still carp therefore the game's useless.

I do find it pretty unrealistic. Premiership clubs sign 30 plus players from Mexican second division sides and they end up scoring thirty goals!

Also in one game Dexter Blackstock top scored in Premiership and he wasnt even selected on the England squad once!

I do find it pretty unrealistic. Premiership clubs sign 30 plus players from Mexican second division sides and they end up scoring thirty goals!

I'm not sure if you're talking about CM or FM here but I'll assume you mean in FM. If so then this is certainly not something I've seen happen an unrealistic amount. Players are discovered all the time playing for smaller clubs in real life so I don't quite see what the problem is. If the players good enough why does it matter that he happened to start his career at a small Mexican club. Even Pele, Maradona and George Weah will have all started out as relatively unknown players.

Also in one game Dexter Blackstock top scored in Premiership and he wasnt even selected on the England squad once!

A bit like Kevin Phillips in real life a few years ago then.

Originally posted by chopper99:

Yes, I always found that puzzling, especially since the likes of Ricketts and Christie did get picked icon_confused.gif

On topic, this has been raised countless times and countless times pople have labelled their thread as different because it's just asking for a yes or no, unfortunately you'll never get that because discussions will start.

IMHO 3D would ruin the game and i've yet to see a good 3d representation in a management game.

Plus chopper99 hit the nail on the head when he said that despite doing it for years CM's 3d match is still crap.

Originally posted by WIGAN!!:

I know this has been brought up millions of times but lets all clear this up once and for all...

simple answers please.. YES or NO

WIGAN!! says NO

So why did you bring it up again? lets say for instance this is the last thread on the subject, someone else will bring it up in a few weeks asking the same question. I made up the same type of thread a few months ago and got totaly flamed for it. Waste of time IMO.

Originally posted by Nomis07:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by chopper99:

Yes, I always found that puzzling, especially since the likes of Ricketts and Christie did get picked icon_confused.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed, it seemed for a while that scoring goals wasn't classed as a pre-requisite for being an England striker. As Emile Heskey proved time and time again icon_smile.gif

Irony? Are you trying to say something?

Me? Noooooooooo icon_razz.gif

I guess you're right though, if he wasn't fat or "braindead" he might have been a first teamer in a squad that won the European and domestic double. He might even have nearly 50 caps. icon_rolleyes.gif

Probably.

But if he wasn't braindead maybe he wouldn't have given away a penalty against Russia and maybe England would have quailfied for Euro 2008 and have played Ελλασ in the final.

Probably.

But if he wasn't braindead maybe he wouldn't have given away a penalty against Russia and maybe England would have quailfied for Euro 2008 and have played Ελλασ in the final.

Sorry but that is so typically English to create a scapegoat. The fact is if Rooney et all including Lampard, Gerard etc had been good enough to beat Croatia and lowly Israel then England would have qualified.

Anyway that's a different discussion and we better stop it now or Ter will tell me off. He shows no mercy even to fellow Gers fans icon_razz.gif

I like Lampard. gerrard is a *****. Jimmy Bullard and Gareth Barry(He started with us, the Seagulls!) would be great in midfield together.

I guess your a chelski fan then? your only moaning about Gerrard coz he didn't join your bunch of whimpering losers a couple of seasons ago...muhahahahaha

I like Lampard. gerrard is a *****. Jimmy Bullard and Gareth Barry(He started with us, the Seagulls!) would be great in midfield together.

Right....Ok you obviously dont know much about football.

Originally posted by backpackant:

3D match graphics are a pointless cosmetic addition as far as gameplay goes. It would be NICE, don't get me wrong, but there are far more important things to fix first.

Get the confidence, transfer market, player instructions, registration, media interraction, newgens in the far future, and club/player reputation weighting sorted and THEN look at developing 3D graphics.

Personally, I think the only real benefits reaped from 3D graphics will be marketing: "for the first time ever FM will have 3D graphics" in the same way the 2D graphics were touted as the biggest leap forward yet.

I agree. Maybe one day a 3d engine would be a nice addition once the game is at the point of "nearly perfect" which at the moment it isn't. Get everything else sorted out first like the things backpackant listed and then think about 3d. Regens/Newgens are a very important part of the game for me as I like to play for up to 30-40 year career games but at the moment I am losing interest after 10 in FM08 due to the lack of quality.

Im gonna say yes. It cant possibly look worse than the current blobovision. Sure there are other areas that need improvement but its not like everyone just works on 3d and ignores the rest the game. Each programmer usually works on a specific functionality. Its not very effective if everyone works on everything. There is just too much code to be familiar with it all.

Originally posted by jakobx:

Im gonna say yes. It cant possibly look worse than the current blobovision. Sure there are other areas that need improvement but its not like everyone just works on 3d and ignores the rest the game. Each programmer usually works on a specific functionality. Its not very effective if everyone works on everything. There is just too much code to be familiar with it all.

The current "blobovision" looks fine... and yes it could look far worse. It could, for example, have a load of nugs and players running through each other.

1. i hate Chelsea. I just think Gerrard is a useless player. Liverpool have far better players in midfield.

2. He never came close to joining the Seagulls and never call us a "bunch of whimpering losers"!

3. Someone when "AAARRGHHH!!", replied by someone else "That would be an ecumenical matter", which means a religious matter, hence me saying it had nothing to do with religion!

Originally posted by turn it upto 11:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

AAARRGHHH!!

did i miss something </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The other three million threads about the 3D match engine?

I just think Gerrard is a useless player.

What a ridiculous thing to say. I hate Gerrard, mostly because he is a cheat (and because he is English, no media seem to pick up on it) but to say he is a useless player is silly.

1. i hate Chelsea. I just think Gerrard is a useless player. Liverpool have far better players in midfield.

2. He never came close to joining the Seagulls and never call us a "bunch of whimpering losers"!

Doh, i was talking about him joining Chelski, they are a bunch of whimpering losers. Mind you i wreckon half of em will join Inter Milan now icon_wink.gif

3. Someone when "AAARRGHHH!!", replied by someone else "That would be an ecumenical matter", which means a religious matter, hence me saying it had nothing to do with religion!

its 2008

to say a 3d engine can't handle the complexity of a real life soccer game is total bull

pes 2008 on coach mode looks pretty realistic to me...for those 3d-phobia ppl..you guys really need to check it out and see what the current generation can do

its not 1998, its 2008 man, time to change or else fm is just gonna be a damn roster update every year

Originally posted by SCIAG:

The current "blobovision" looks fine... and yes it could look far worse. It could, for example, have a load of nugs and players running through each other.

You mean like in the current 2d? Hopefully the days of overlapping players will be over.

Originally posted by Nomis07:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Neji:

AAARRGHHH!!

That would be an ecumenical matter! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The only worthwhile comment on this pointless thread. Now, nice cup of tea anyone? icon_wink.gif

Archived