Football Manager 2010 Installation and DRM Decision

Hi, some of you may have seen my posts before, but if not, I'm Ben, and I'm the senior global brand manager for Football Manager at SEGA.

During the development of Football Manger 2009 we (both SEGA and SI) were committed to developing and implementing an effective and simple way to combat the piracy that has taken place on each of the Football Manager titles to date. Due to some mistakes on our part, and some malicious external acts, the method chosen to stop piracy resulted in extensive headaches and difficulty in activating and playing Football Manager 2009. This was the last thing we wanted.

As a result of those issues we have been investigating both revised and totally new anti-piracy and activation solutions for Football Manager 2010. We have not been able to find and test a solution that we can guarantee will provide purchasers of Football Manager 2010 with no issues at all.

Therefore customers that buy genuine Football Manager 2010 boxed copies will be able to play the game with no activation. Players using this route will be required to have the DVD in the drive at all times whilst playing.

People choosing to buy digitally from STEAM will receive a version of the game protected by STEAM’s standard activation and DRM and all the benefits and add –ons you get from activating with STEAM, which Miles deals with below. Activating or buying through STEAM means that you do not need to have the DVD in drive when you play following activation.

Consumers buying the PC version through other digital download partners will receive versions of the game protected by Uniloc and including DRM, containing a much improved system over the one used on FM2009 and fixes to all the common errors experienced. There is not a digital download solution that meets our criteria that is not DRM based, so as we still wanted to provide digital download versions of the game, this was the best solution.

Consumers buying the Mac version through digital download will be able to do this via our normal Mac partner, eSellerate.

Long term we remain committed to finding a solution to the piracy that we see every year with Football Manager on the PC / Mac. We will be working with our community throughout the coming year to test and gather opinion on possible solutions with the aim of finding a way of ensuring that everyone that plays Football Manager games in the future pays a fair price for the game, without hindering their enjoyment of it.

Thanks

Ben

• Replies 747
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • SI Staff

Thanks Ben.

So it's now over to me to explain the situation with the installation process of the boxed copies, stat collection and in game advertising for Football Manager 2010.

First off, installation of the PC version.

PC users will have 2 choices when installing the boxed game as Ben mentioned above.

The first is a DVD based copy protection system that requires you to have the DVD in the drive at all times whilst playing. This is something that we hadn't considered previously, as we know a lot of people listen to music when playing our games, but with music being so digitally based in the modern era, we hope it doesn't cause too many issues. With this method, there is no registration required, nor do you have to be online at any time to play the game. This method is not auto-patching, so when patches and updates are released, you will need to download them manually (we will be providing patches and updates via the BitTorrent method and any mirror sites of the file that appear).

The second is via STEAM, which is an online based system. By installing via this method, you need to be online the first time you install the game and can easily set it up to play offline in the future. By using the STEAM route, you will automatically receive any patches or updates that we provide for the game in the future (as long as you are online, of course).

There are also extra benefits this year from installing via STEAM. One of these will be a STEAM exclusive skin, which is an updated version of the FM09 skin (including tree menu) which will be available a few weeks after launch.

The second is achievements. STEAM as a platform have had achievements available for many games over the years, and we will have 60 achievements that are attainable to give you bragging rights over your mates. For those who have played the Xbox 360 releases of Football Manager in the past, you will be well aware of some of them, and I'll be giving the full run down of the achievements in a future blog.

The third is that with STEAM you can play the game on any PC that is connected online by downloading the STEAM client and logging in with your user details, with no need to take the DVD with you.

As STEAM is not available for the Mac, Mac boxed copy users will just have the one method of installing, which will require the DVD to remain in the drive whilst playing the game. Mac patches will be provided in both bittorrent and download form.

We are still partnered with IGA (in game advertising) for at least Football Manager 2010. It will (as introduced in a patch for FM2009) be possible to turn off the hyperlinks on the adverts. You will only be served adverts if you are online whilst playing the game, and the adverts only appear in situ, so are only on the advertising hoardings around the side of the pitch.

With stat collection, we have read the concerns that were brought to our attention when we spoke about this earlier in the year. We have therefore spent some time splitting off the stat collection from the other areas of the game where it was integrated, and there will be an "opt out" option in the games preferences screen.

However, we would really encourage people to allow us to collect the hardware stats that we do. It's made a massive difference to us as a dev team to be able to deliver a better gaming experience to people by being able to see our users hardware information. We're able to concentrate the functionality and compatability testing for the game much better by using these stats, which will mean that the game should play better on any system that was able to play the game last year, and make the game more compatible out of the box with some of the graphics cards that had to download files separate to the game last year to get it up and running.

Cheers

Miles

A quick Mac based question:

At the moment the disk drive in my laptop doesn't work. To get round this, I load the Fm CD onto the family desktop, then share the disk across to my laptop and I can then load up the game.

So presumably this won't work for FM10 as i'd need the disk in all the time?

It's no real problem, because my laptop won't be able to play it anyway, and I'd be getting a new one sometime in the future anyway.

• SI Staff
A quick Mac based question:

At the moment the disk drive in my laptop doesn't work. To get round this, I load the Fm CD onto the family desktop, then share the disk across to my laptop and I can then load up the game.

So presumably this won't work for FM10 as i'd need the disk in all the time?

It's no real problem, because my laptop won't be able to play it anyway, and I'd be getting a new one sometime in the future anyway.

You could buy via digital download, but that wouldn't work for the boxed copy, no.

So I'm right in thinking, when buying the boxed copy its not possible to activate it via uniloc? (or is not activating it just a further option?)

Not a problem, but I'm lazy and enjoyed not having to bother putting the disk in last year :p

You don't have to put the disk in. You can install the game via STEAM, which also gives you patches automatically, an exclusive skin, and achievements.

As someone who had absolutely no problems with installing FM 2009, I'm disappointed that the option of having the boxed version and not having to have the disc in the computer has gone.

That option is not gone - please see above :)

• SI Staff

Serious question to those who have just asked about needing the disc in the tray - did you actually read Ben and my posts?

If you did, then I'll see if there's a way to make the point clearer, because I thought that it was already clear that with the 2 methods, one required the disc in the drive, and one didn't.

As someone who had absolutely no problems with installing FM 2009, I'm disappointed that the option of having the boxed version and not having to have the disc in the computer has gone.

Hi, we have given you the option. You can either install the game and not have to activate at all, but you have to keep the DVD in the drive while playing, or to activate through STEAM which means you can play without the DVD in drive.

Thanks

Ben

Serious question to those who have just asked about needing the disc in the tray - did you actually read Ben and my posts?

If you did, then I'll see if there's a way to make the point clearer, because I thought that it was already clear that with the 2 methods, one required the disc in the drive, and one didn't.

To be honest it wasn't clear in your post.

If I understand you correctly now, then if we don't want to have to have the disc in the drive, we have to authenticate via steam.

Ok, Ben just answered this, but what about those of us who would prefer to avoid having to use Steam?

I read the two posts, yes.

I knew you could download the game via steam, but it wasn't clear at first reading whether you could only use steam if you hadn't bought the box copy.

• SI Staff

If I understand you correctly now, then if we don't want to have to have the disc in the drive, we have to authenticate via steam.

Ok, Ben just answered this, but what about those of us who would prefer to avoid having to use Steam?

I've expanded what I previously wrote in my original post now to try and make it clearer.

Those who would prefer to not use Steam have the option to install the game and play it, but with the DVD in the drive, or can buy the game as a digital download via one of the many companies who will be selling it as a digital download, and install the game that way with no STEAM, and no need for a DVD.

Guest roberto922

I'm still a little confused, will I still be able to install a boxed copy using steam and not have to download anything (other than patches) or keep the disc in the drive when I play? Sorry but my reading skills have gone to the dogs today through tiredness and flu :(

EDIT: Ah seen bcoopers reply, doesn't matter. Great news :)

I've edited my post to hopefully clear this up.

Those that don't want to activate through STEAM can either buy a digital version of the game, or will have to have the DVD in the drive while playing. I would recommend STEAM personally, not just for the added benefits, but I find it a pretty good way of having access to my games at any time. But hopefully with all the options we've provided this year, including not having to activate or register anything and just play out of the box, we've given everyone a pretty good choice.

Thanks

Ben

I've expanded what I previously wrote in my original post now to try and make it clearer.

Those who would prefer to not use Steam have the option to install the game and play it, but with the DVD in the drive, or can buy the game as a digital download via one of the many companies who will be selling it as a digital download, and install the game that way with no STEAM, and no need for a DVD.

Fair enough, but it's a shame the option to authenticate like last year has been taken out.

Why not keep Uniloc as an option? Keeping the game disk in is a PITA, encouraging people to search for "alternate" solutions. The Steam option is a no-go for me. Don't like it at all. The Uniloc option was the best IMO.

Hi, The uniloc option is still there, if you buy a digital download of the game.

Guest roberto922

What's so bad about Steam? You can just type in your code and it's done, and if you download it they can handle the demand whereas many other services can't

I might've missed it, but if you install via STEAM, can you install it on as many computers as you want that use that STEAM account? And do you have to be logged into STEAM when using it in that fashion? Because my net access is very iffy at times, and often conks out on me while I'm playing games.

Yeah, I read both of your posts.

When you say 'installing the game', is that activating?

So the two different ways of installing the game are to just install normally and to play with the disc in, or to install using Steam and to not have to use the disc (which will also get us extra stuff)?

Fair enough, but it's a shame the option to authenticate like last year has been taken out.

Hi,

the problem is it wasn't an option last year, it was a mandatory that caused a fair percentage of buyers a headache, either large or small. So this year you can choose not to authenticate and have the DVD in, to install and authenticate through STEAM and not have the DVD in, or to buy digitally and authentiate with Uniloc like last year.

Thanks

Ben

Good news to see the on line activation left out, credit for that, I did have a feeling we were going to see a very similar thing.

Looks like I'll be going to Steam this time around, I hate having to have the disk in the drive. So it's also good that we can activate via Steam if we buy a boxed version :thup:

I'm assuming that same as last year, we can still play without Steam even if we activate through it?

Yeah, I read both of your posts.

When you say 'installing the game', is that activating?

So the two different ways of installing the game are to just install normally and to play with the disc in, or to install using Steam and to not have to use the disc (which will also get us extra stuff)?

Yep, pretty much. If you buy the game you can choose just to install and not activate the game (ie not have to put in a code or connect to a server or phone a phoneline), or you can choose to activate with STEAM (with the benefits of no DVD and extra stuff)

What's so bad about Steam? You can just type in your code and it's done, and if you download it they can handle the demand whereas many other services can't

If what I have heard is true then steam has serious security problems concerning phishing and hacking.

I hope people don't misunderstand me, I think it's good that SI and SEGA have looked at the problems of last year, just can't believe that I was the only one who had no problems installing FM2009 and it's a pity that we can't have the option to either play the game with the disc in the computer (without authentification) or attempt authentification with uniloc and be able to take the disc out.

Also, would just like to add that I'm generally very impressed with what I've seen of FM2010

Guest roberto922

I'll say again, what is the problem that people have with Steam? It's been great whenever I've used it, certainly better than the atrocity that is Uniloc, or having the disc in the drive, please say it's not because of 'privacy concerns' over the anonymous data collected.

EDIT: Aimed at Peter-evo

If what I have heard is true then steam has serious security problems concerning phishing and hacking.

I hope people don't misunderstand me, I think it's good that SI and SEGA have looked at the problems of last year, just can't believe that I was the only one who had no problems installing FM2009 and it's a pity that we can't have the option to either play the game with the disc in the computer (without authentification) or attempt authentification with uniloc and be able to take the disc out.

Also, would just like to add that I'm generally very impressed with what I've seen of FM2010

You can edwin, if you want you can buy a digital download of the game and authenticate through Uniloc, avoiding both STEAM and the need to have the disk in the drive.

You aren't the only one not to have had problems, but I can tell you from bitter memory that many did. By taking the decision we have they will not encounter the problems they had, and you can still play the game in exactly the way you want.

Glad you are liking what you've seen so far.

I'll say again, what is the problem that people have with Steam? It's been great whenever I've used it, certainly better than the atrocity that is Uniloc, or having the disc in the drive, please say it's not because of 'privacy concerns' over the anonymous data collected.

I'm not sure, I've just never really liked it. Have got a lot of games on there but Steam isn't on my system at the minute. Might download it again actually. Is there a way to play FM without actually running steam?

I think a discussion about the percieved benefits or concerns people have with STEAM probably should have it's own thread, rather than dominate this one. You have the option of whether to use it or not.

Thanks

Ben

I'm not sure, I've just never really liked it. Have got a lot of games on there but Steam isn't on my system at the minute. Might download it again actually. Is there a way to play FM without actually running steam?

Do you mean FM09? You could authenticate through Uniloc using your keycode.

For FM10, I think we've covered the other options

• SI Staff
I might've missed it, but if you install via STEAM, can you install it on as many computers as you want that use that STEAM account? And do you have to be logged into STEAM when using it in that fashion? Because my net access is very iffy at times, and often conks out on me while I'm playing games.

Yes, you can have your STEAM account on as many computers as you want. No, you do not have to be logged into STEAM, as there is a "play offline" option.

there is one question i would like to ask about activating through steam with a boxed version of the game. i will be getting a new laptop soon so i would prefer to be able to play this on the go without taking the disc with me everywhere so steam will probably be my choice but would activating it be a strain on my download limit? while using the net i have a 1GB limit so i hoping it wont use too much. any help with how much it might use? thanks

i suggest you give people who buy the boxed version an option of either keeping the disk in at all times or activate through uniloc.

i wont buy the game if i have to keep the disk in at all times.

Thanks, however the decision we have reached has been taken from looking into options such as this and ruling them out. If you don't want to have the disk in the drive while you play the game you have three other options to play the game,

To buy boxed and activate through STEAM, meaning you don't need the disk in

To purchase through STEAM meaning you don't need the disk in

To purchase a digital download and activate through Uniloc meaning you don't have to have the disk in and you don't have to use STEAM if you do not want to

I hope one of those options is ok for you and you do buy the game

Thanks

Ben

If we want to have the game installed in a pc and a laptop too, can we still do it with the STEAM way? Or can we intall it (let's say) two times with the dvd but in order to play, we should put the dvd either in the pc or the laptop?

Both ways would be ok.

Guest roberto922
i suggest you give people who buy the boxed version an option of either keeping the disk in at all times or activate through uniloc.

i wont buy the game if i have to keep the disk in at all times.

Use steam.

Archived