How much money do YOU waste on Transfer Deadline Day?

I've been doing my usual Deadline Day thing of keeping an eye on the news and laughing at Arsene Wenger (mostly) and the other managers who actually throw money at their problems.

So, let's see how we imaginary managers spend our Deadline Days.

Go back up to 5 completed seasons in your save and work out:

A) How much money you've spent on Deadline Day (summer and winter)

B) What percentage of your annual transfer spend that was

C) How much of that was a complete waste of money (players who never made the first team)

I'll kick it off.

Season -5: A) £255k on 3 players; B) 10%; C) £255k (all 3 players)

Season -4: A) £3.75m on 2 players; B) 44%; C) none

Season -3: A) £5.23m on 5 players; B) 17%; C) £2.1m (4 of those players)

Season -2: A) £6.35m on 4 players; B) 14%; C) £20k (one of the players)

Season -1: A) £7m on 1 player; B) 14%; C) none

Season 1: A: £0 on 0 players B: - C: -

Season 2: A: roughly £500k in loan fees on one player B: about 2% C: none

Season 3: A: £0 on 0 players B: - C: -

Season 4: A: £15,5m on one player; got another one on a free B: a little less than 50% C: none

Season 5: £0 on 0 players B: - C: -

I haven't included youth players bought by my HoYD who has a tendency to get his business done on deadline day :p

I definitely spend more time on deadline days talking to journalists than making player purchases.

Season 35/36 A) £0 no players

Season 34/35 A) £110k/month loan 2 players (1 Free) B: 20% C: 0

Season 33/34 A) £1.5M on 2 players B: 15% C: 0

Season 32/33 A) £325k 1 player B: 10 % C: 0

Season 31/32 A) £0 no players

Normally made my signings before deadline day, or free transfers at the start of the window.

£0

Never bought anyone deadline day, I do my deals in a timely manner.

Same, usually before the start of the season but in nations with early start and/or with early Europeans qualifier that's not always possible. I set the wheels in motion on reset day, wait a week or two for some of the scout reports (it often takes 3-4 weeks for them all to come in) and maybe start making moves, and that's usually it for the year (my scouts essentially earn their pay in July and have most of the rest of the year off :D) aside from doing a bunch of scouting in December for players on expiring contracts. There are a few exceptions like when a quality free agent is offered to me. No need to get carried away by unnecessarily trying to squeeze a few more right at the end.

I spent absolutely nothing on deadline day yesterday :O Despite ~£11m burning a hole in my pocket. Was trying to get a decent CB in, but happy with the three senior ones at the club.

Amused by press questions saying that I wasn't splashing the cash this season. Dropped £32m, £16m and £18m three weeks ago. Silly journalists.

I never had the need to spend on deadline day. As I go checking the regen on regen days I more often then not buy my players so they come in as soon as the window opens. In my last save I bought only two players above 18 and those were done in time.

So my list looks rather boring:

Season -5: A) £0k on 0 players; B) 0%; C) none

Season -4: A) £0k on 0 players; B) 0%; C) none

Season -3: A) £0k on 0 players; B) 0%; C) none

Season -2: A) £0k on 0 players; B) 0%; C) none

Season -1: A) £0k on 0 players; B) 0%; C) none

Also I have a 4-5 year development plan (written) and I do keep to it. So if as 2 main CB are 33 now, I have bought their replacements 3 resp. 5 years ago. One of the replacements is now 21, the other 20. They count as homegrown and are now ready to be eased into the first team. They have already played some matches due to injuries and cup matches and the younger one has spent 2 season out on loan. They will form my CB core for the next 10 years...

The only time I do business on deadline day is if my board have accepted someone else's last minute offer for one of my players (I would never agree to such a sale if it was up to me) and I need a replacement. So far, that hasn't happened in 14 (hell, I was even able to reject a deadline day offer for my best striker of over £1m while in the Conference...).

This is because the game doesn't acknowledge the importance of the deadline day.

There are plenty of deals being done and dragged until deadline day in real life. Towards nearing of deadline day clubs delays the transfers until they are very sure of landing a replacement. this is why it is dragged until the 11th hour.

We don't have this kind of AI 'knowledge' in the game. clubs just buy and sell as long as it reaches their expectations of money. More has to be done in the next game to make it more realistic. right now, it isn't.

Archived