how much does it cost to build a new stadium?

It cost 45.5 million for a stadium with a capacity of 26,822.

I'm hoping it has lots of room for expansion. I should be able to fill it now for most games. Let alone two seasons from now when I finally get to move in.

They should get rid of the stadium rule that limits how often one can be built.

Just because it hasn't happened doesn't mean it can't happen. Not many clubs go from skrill south to the premiership in ten years in real life (if any?), and that's the situation when the 20 year stadium rule usually becomes a problem

Can you give me any examples of where 2 new stadiums have been built by 1 club within 20 years in real life?

Can you give me any examples of a manager that has brought a club from the Skrill North/South to the Premier League within 20 years in real life?

Can you give me any examples of a manager that has brought a club from the Skrill North/South to the Premier League within 20 years in real life?

Well Wimbledon went from a non-League club in 1976/77 to the top league in England in 1986/87, (although it was the old First Division then).

Unfortunately Conference North/South has only been in existence since 2004 and the Conference itself has only existed since 1979 and prior to 1987, there was no automatic promotion and instead the "Conference" Champions had to be "elected" to the Football League by the Football League clubs, (which was like Turkeys voting for Christmas as it meant that one of them would be relegated).

So just Wimbledon so far, (in about half the time you specified).

If you want an example of elsewhere in Europe then Chievo in Italy when from the very bottom rung of the Italian pyramid in 1964 to Serie D in 1974/75 and were then finally promoted to Serie A at the end of the 2000/01, (so that's all the way through the whole Italian pyramid in 24 years, (so non-league to too league certainly quicker than the specified 20 years).

I can go on if you want.

Did either of them build 2 new-build stadiums in a 20 year period? No.

I guess it has to do with the risk of some clubs building new stadiums every second year, if there was not a hard-coded limitation.

It would be much better to have other systems in place to prevent an unrealistic number of new stadiums being built. In any case, even with the 20-year rule in place it would be very nice to have the option (as a trusted manager) to specify the necessary size of the stadium. A good example was when I took control of some Skrill South side and took them to League Two in two seasons. The board then decided to spend an insane amount of money on a new stadium... with 7000 seats... That is of course nonsensical since it ruined the savegame completely; I knew that I would have maybe 10000 seats the next 20 years and no money for the same period. Instead of removing the 20-year rule, which wouldn't have prevented this, it would be better to have the input of requiring a certain stadium size so that the board would cancel the plans due to the costs. That way, I would have been able to postpone stadium building until the hidden "max attendance" figure had reached the necessary size (it is the number that dictates the size of the new stadium). I would rather play in front of 3000 fans in the Premier League and then build a 30 000 seater, than going bankrupt in League One with a 10 000 seater.

Can you give me any examples of where 2 new stadiums have been built by 1 club within 20 years in real life?

It seems possible this will happen with Coventry, who opened the Ricoh in 2005 before all of their troubles. The agreement with the FA which meant they're now allowed to play at home in Northampton was on the condition that plans for a new stadium were revealed. Details are still thin on the ground, however.

My Valencia team moved into the Nuevo Mestalla, 75,000 stadium which cost about £350m.

They upgraded it about 8 years later to 91,000 for another £158m.

It basically depends on the size, the area and whether the facilities are "top" "adequate" etc.

It seems possible this will happen with Coventry, who opened the Ricoh in 2005 before all of their troubles. The agreement with the FA which meant they're now allowed to play at home in Northampton was on the condition that plans for a new stadium were revealed. Details are still thin on the ground, however.

But it was never owned by the football club, it was built and owned by the council and rented to CCFC.

This sort of argument always makes me smile. People are perfectly happy for the game to allow a 31 year old Sunday League footballer with no experience to become the manager of Barcelona.

2 stadiums within 20 years is however deemed too unrealistic...

It's a computer game.

But it was never owned by the football club, it was built and owned by the council and rented to CCFC.

Granted, but would the council have built the stadium if Coventry City hadn't already been earmarked as tenants? They were very much involved with its development. I appreciate we're talking something slightly different from what happens in FM, where the club would own the ground, but as a direct answer to the question posed by Jimbo, the Ricoh was a new ground built for Coventry City, if not by them. Building another one- whoever does it- means that two stadia will have been built for the club within 20 years.

Having said that, I'm actually on the other side of the argument- I think the 20-year limit is sensible for reasons others have mentioned. Even if you do include Coventry- and I understand why you may not- it's not exactly a common occurrence.

Having said that, I'm actually on the other side of the argument- I think the 20-year limit is sensible for reasons others have mentioned. Even if you do include Coventry- and I understand why you may not- it's not exactly a common occurrence.

I do not understand how you can say that being stuck on 15k seats in the premiership for fifteen years is sensible, which is a direct consequence of this system. I do of course agree that twenty years is reasonable for most clubs in most situations, but hardcoded rules are just that.. hardcoded. They can never be deviated from, and because of that hardcoded rules need to be sensible in ALL situations.

This sort of argument always makes me smile. People are perfectly happy for the game to allow a 31 year old Sunday League footballer with no experience to become the manager of Barcelona.

2 stadiums within 20 years is however deemed too unrealistic...

It's a computer game.

Haha this is spot on!

I think it's pretty realistic. Most clubs are still playing in stadiums built in the late 1800s or early 1900s. They only build new ones when they've outgrown their old ones, and most clubs won't outgrow a stadium within 20 years. Frankly, even a club coming up from the Skrill Premier to the Premier League should only consider building a new stadium once they've reached near-top of the Championship, just in case of a drop back down to League 1.

Besides most clubs that build a new stadium allow for expansion much higher than that of the original capacity, right? That's one of the options when asking for a new stadium IIRC, because the current stadium has been expanded to its limit?

Archived