Will my new laptop run FM2014 ok?

Hello,

Looking to buy new laptop as existing one is old, slow and dosn't run FM2014 very well. Settings all on low and still very poor. Have needed new laptop for a while so finally taking the plunge.

Thinking of buying this one and fairly certain it will run 3D match engine at fairly high settings. Maybe not full settings but def medium. What do you guys think?

Here are the specs of what I'm hoping to buy...

HP Pavilion 15-n090sa

Processor - AMD Quad-Core A8-4555M Processor (1.6 GHz, 4 MB cache)

Graphics Card - AMD Radeon HD 7600G

Ram - 8 GB DDR3 (8 GB maximum installable RAM)

Windows 8

Any help much appreciated!

Thank you

Hello,

Looking to buy new laptop as existing one is old, slow and dosn't run FM2014 very well. Settings all on low and still very poor. Have needed new laptop for a while so finally taking the plunge.

Thinking of buying this one and fairly certain it will run 3D match engine at fairly high settings. Maybe not full settings but def medium. What do you guys think?

Here are the specs of what I'm hoping to buy...

HP Pavilion 15-n090sa

Processor - AMD Quad-Core A8-4555M Processor (1.6 GHz, 4 MB cache)

Graphics Card - AMD Radeon HD 7600G

Ram - 8 GB DDR3 (8 GB maximum installable RAM)

Windows 8

Any help much appreciated!

Thank you

Personally I don't like AMD processors. In nearly every test I've seen, they are always outperformed by Intel. An i3 with 8GB would be my choice or if you can stretch to it, an i5.

Thanks very much guys!

Beestonite - I agree that intel is better and an i5 would be ideal but I'm limited by price. My budget is £500 and buying i5 would put me over. Also each laptop I saw with i3 had no dedicated graphics card and only internal chipset graphics card like Intel 3000 or 4000 and I hear they aren't too great at running FM2014.

The laptop I listed is £450 and has a touchscreen as well so I think it's a fairly good price. I was told that, even though the AMD is 1.6Ghz, as it has a quad core, it runs much faster. Is this true?

I don't really play many games on my laptop apart from FM and use it for every day use so as long as it runs at fairly good settings I'll be happy.

Thanks again guys!

If all you play is FM I'd go with a faster cpu and a integrated chip like intel 4000 any day. It all comes down to what you value the most... 3d matches at highest settings or decent speed inbetween games.

This game is all about calculations and even though it does use more then 1 core most of the heavy lifting is still done on 1 core meaning a high clock will help Alot. Graphics wise on the other hand yes you might not be able to play the 3d matches at highest setting with the intel 4000 but medium to high with say sky turned off works fine.

Personaly I value being able to load more leagues over loading sky in games but thats me :D

Checked Sony's website and I could get the following for £589:

Intel i3 - 1.7Ghz

Nvidia Ge Force GT 740M

4 GB RAM

Touchscreen

Seems fairly similar apart from slightly better CPU but for £140 more. Without dedicated graphics card (just HD 4000) it's £50 less but still more expensive than the HP one.

Think I'm edging towards the HP due to price.

DrizzitD - Yea CPU for new laptop isn't the best speed but at the moment I'm playing with one league and on bare min specs on a terrible laptop so increasing to two or three leagues is guna be awesome and a mind blow for me!! Don't think I'll have more than maybe 3/4 leagues at one time so hoping 1.6 AMD Quad will handle that. Should do I think....

Great website Baptista thank you very much! Found a good deal on it for a Lenovo for £549 (reduced from £699). Fairly certain I'm going to buy this one! Here are the specs.

Intel® Core™ i7-3537U Dual Core Processor

14" HD Touch Screen

Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit

4GB DDR3 RAM

500GB HDD

NVIDIA GeForce GT 710M with 2GB Dedicated Memory

Thanks for all your help guys!

I wouldnt pay for a touch screen myself as I see no point in it on a laptop but if you have a use for it that laptop looks like a nice deal all in all should run FM above your 2-3 leagues without a problem.

Oh yea almost forgot... only thing thats a bit on the low side is the RAM but if your main use is surfing and FM it should be fine for now.

Just notice the Lenovo has a bigger screen so if you wanted a 14" thats worth taking into concideration. On all other accounts I would pay the 50 more if its possible though as its got a better cpu and also takes care of the Ram issue with it being 6Gb instead.

If you dont wanna put out the 50 extra though hopefully you can find some other setup with say more ram instead of the touch screen, if your having second thoughts about that part, for the same price.

Assuming you wanted the dedicated graphics heres the model without the touch screen, gets you 6Gb ram instead.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/LENOVO-U410-59399415_1492705.html

Or the i5 version saves you about £130 this one is also only 4Gb ram though.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/LENOVO-Z500-59399412_1533701.html

Or an Asus with i5 and 8Gb ram, with the small price difference I would take the 599 i7 lenovo instead of this one though.

http://www.saveonlaptops.co.uk/ASUS-X550-X550CC-XO071H_1503583.html

iv just bought a packard bell for £350 its amd a4 quad core processor, 8gb ram and 1tb hdd, those specs sound perfect, yet on the stars it shows half a star for running epl with large db, yet my old samsung 6gb i3 500gb hdd ran the same setting with 5 stars !! gutted lol, apparently the a4 processor is pants lol, as i know now, still at least i can still play fm

I'm confused, why does my 4-5 years old Pentium T4300 have a higher clock speed than some i5 processors? Should you not read into clock speed too much?

Its just not really possible to compare different generations of cpu's on a basis of clock speed any more. Since a few years back we have essentially hit the cap for raw clock speed with the materials used in making cpu's and now its all about making that same clock speed more effective instead of just brute forceing speed. Some old P4's clocked to 4GHz but a modern cpu will run laps around it with half the clock speed as its better optimised and in simple terms can do more calculations every cycle.

Sorry if this is too basic so no offence to anyone but: a really really simple example using 1 hand you put 2 bricks on top of each other taking 1 second to do so. Every time you do it again takes another segond. Now if you at the same time did the same thing with your second hand it wouldnt take double the time. This way you cand do 2 tasks in less time then it would take the first person (cpu) to do the same task.

And yes I know its a silly example but was the best I could come up with atm sorry :D

Thanks very much guys!

Beestonite - I agree that intel is better and an i5 would be ideal but I'm limited by price. My budget is £500 and buying i5 would put me over. Also each laptop I saw with i3 had no dedicated graphics card and only internal chipset graphics card like Intel 3000 or 4000 and I hear they aren't too great at running FM2014.

The laptop I listed is £450 and has a touchscreen as well so I think it's a fairly good price. I was told that, even though the AMD is 1.6Ghz, as it has a quad core, it runs much faster. Is this true?

I don't really play many games on my laptop apart from FM and use it for every day use so as long as it runs at fairly good settings I'll be happy.

Thanks again guys!

For that price, you can get something very decent. I would try Lenovo. Best quality laptops IMO by a mile.

You guys get sucked in every time ....

you see i7 then you see for under 500 pound .. first thing to point out about laptops ... they will never be any good for gaming full stop .

2rd thing to note about the site and link you have posted .. is the laptop for 500 pound has a i7 that is over 2 years old .

3rd thing about that site the seller is that all of there laptops are returned goods ..... once again you get sucked in

Yea Baptista it's the Z500 you linked to. £599.97 is exact price. Arrived yesterday and used it briefly last night for FM14. Absolutely bossed it on highest possible settings. Wizzed through the games and ran perfect in 3D match. The star rating in the preferences section in 3 1/2 stars but that's nonsense cause it completely dominated it. I've read that some people have amazing computers and the star rating on the preferences is low on their computers even though the game runs perfectly so not bothered by that.

I read about overheating too (was that on the amazon reviews?) but think that only happened when the guy was playing very high spec games for ages. Think he bought a little fan to put beside the computer to solve the problem. Don't think overheating will be a problem for me cause I don't have any high spec games. So far so good for me.

Laptop has great design. Looks great.

iv just bought a packard bell for £350 its amd a4 quad core processor, 8gb ram and 1tb hdd, those specs sound perfect, yet on the stars it shows half a star for running epl with large db, yet my old samsung 6gb i3 500gb hdd ran the same setting with 5 stars !! gutted lol, apparently the a4 processor is pants lol, as i know now, still at least i can still play fm

Mine also shows only half a star for speed and performance yet the game actually runs really smoothly and at good speed so i really wouldn't take that much notice of the stars.

I run all major European leagues Germany,Spain,France,Italy,Holland and Russia too Div 2 with all divisions in British and Ireland leagues,Argentina 2 Div,MLS,South African Div2 and South Korea Div2 with large database.With FM 2012 I would get a performance speed rating of 1 star which I was happy with (if I had not CC cleaned it before starting a save I would have to swap S Korea with India as it would drop to a half) FM 2014 shows half a star for the same amount of leagues but still performs at the same speed as FM 2012 why is this? and what specs would be required to play all Leagues at a at least 1 star?

• 4 months later...

Archived