Never been so angry before now, this is simply ridiculous

Got sacked from Luton for failing to drop one of my center backs despite my only other available DC getting injured a week after I first dropped him. Ok, so we weren't doing as well in the league, just outside the playoffs in the opening season, but having just won 4 MATCHES IN A ROW, will anyone seriously tell me that this is realistic? He was even playing well and there were no other realistic options available.

I've had a fair few fallings out with FM over the past 8 years or so, but this is too much. I don't like to complain but come on, please.....

{UPDATE}

I replayed the last fixture before I was sacked due to the sheer injustice of this and re-jigged my formation and had an almost unplayable DC instead. Still managed to win 5-2 after dropping the player in question....AND I STILL GET SACKED. What is the bloody point of the hard work and effort when this happens?

It's worth posting that in the bugs forum tbh because it sounds unbelievably harsh (upload the save game obviously)

It's also worth cutting out the foul language, I'd hate to add infractions to your pain :)

To clarify, the board asked you to drop - that is, not make him play - a certain player? Is that a new feature? Never had that before, and why would the board want you to drop a certain player?

Or are you talking about the fans being unhappy with a players performance and this leading to the sack (in conjunction with other board happiness factors)?

The player wasn't in the best form and the board requested a meeting about him where they recommended that I drop him (with no mention of fans being unhappy). I was going to drop him anyway so I agreed, but when my only other viable DC got injured (along with an increasing list of injuries) a week later, I was forced to play him and from then on we won 4 on the spin and his form improved.

After a 5-2 victory over Alfreton, I was sacked on monday morning for continuing to field the player.

Has a manager ever been sacked for not dropping a player? Sounds like a poor addition to the game for me, even if it worked properly.

When Beckenbauer was president of Bayern, he used to interfere quite frequently, Trappatoni duly obliged though most of the time ;)

What?

If my board demanded I drop a player, I'd be resigning on the spot!

I felt the same way, a bit cheeky of them I thought. But as I was going to drop him anyway, I saw no harm in complying. But if this kind of thing ever happened, it would normally only happen in the elite leagues with power-crazed chairmen wielding the axe because their football club is their plaything. Not the kind of thing to happen at a lower league club I would've thought

Didn't Gullit get sacked for dropping Shearer at Newcastle?

Also I think there were issues at Hearts a few years ago where the owner basically picked the team.

Good old Vladimir Romanov. The Hearts owner that refused to let managers pick teams. Many a manager quit because they were there just to coach the players.

Didn't Gullit get sacked for dropping Shearer at Newcastle?

Dropping your best striker and captain is pretty poor form but in Gullits case it couldn't have been more calamitous. He dropped Shearer and Ferguson to the bench and played a lad up front (Paul Robinson) who later played with my brother at amateur level. Not only that but it was the Newcastle v Scumderland match! He also refused to give Rob Lee a squad number for the season so he could have no complaints.

The board asking you to drop a player for performance reasons does not make sense. Much more realistic would be:

- you are asked to field a certain player;

- you are asked to drop a player for other reasons, disciplinary or (especially) to force them to extend their contract in their final year.

This happened to me quite early in the beta with Sutton United, but worse.

Pretty much all of my team had left at the end of the first season and I had to scrap together a team, yet still managed to win the first 4 games and sat at 1st above expectations. Despite this, every single time, the day before my 5th game I would get sacked for not dropping Ian Westlake, I assume because of an oddly timed holiday period interaction with the board about promising his performance would improve.

I tried reloading the save many times, and even some earlier saves. Cheesing a good average rating didn't help, not even selling him worked.

Now this is a nice new addition to FM! Interering boards when it comes to your tactics/first team players :)

Nice, nice SI!

It's potentially a nice addition, but it needs to be implemented very carefully and it sounds like it wasn't.

It would make more sense if it affected the overall confidence as a board promise rather than resulting in an instant sacking - "The board is pleased with your leadership of the team, however they're very disappointed that you continue to field <player> in the starting 11." And it should obviously be negotiable in case of injuries.

It's potentially a nice addition, but it needs to be implemented very carefully and it sounds like it wasn't.

It would make more sense if it affected the overall confidence as a board promise rather than resulting in an instant sacking - "The board is pleased with your leadership of the team, however they're very disappointed that you continue to field <player> in the starting 11." And it should obviously be negotiable in case of injuries.

Sounds like an awful addition to me. What is the point of playing a football manager game if you are not allowed to manage as you see fit? May as well just stick the thing on holiday and let it get on with it. Fire the manager for bad results etc. but not for this.

LOL!! I got sacked after a board takeover even though I got promoted/spent nowt/had the all board are delighted by your performance message, went beyond all expectations but they wanted their own man, luckily for me while I was unemployed , they offered me my position back which I duly accepted but on my terms!

LOL. When he starts dating we'll be reading about him in the papers :)

uhh excuse me, I have enough experience in that field already thank you very much ;-) I'm 26 but don't tell me no one else has ever lost sleep or kicked the cat when having a hard time of it on FM. I never usually lose my temper, but FM seems to bring out the worst in me on the odd occasion.

And to clarify the earlier question, this was a board request that the player should be dropped and not a recommendation from backroom staff.

Mad sacking of football managers happen every so often in real life. Gareth Southgate was a point of the top of the league when he got sacked and Hearts have a merry go round of managers that have been sacked or left "by mutual consent" for a whole host of obscure reasons, most notably George Burley who put Heatrs at the top of the league.

Archived