Can't play the game now 'cos my internet connection has gone. What do I do?

The message I'm getting is saying ;

"Unable to connect to the Steam network. 'Offline Mode' is unavailable because there is no Steam login information stored on this computer.

You will not be able to use STeam until you can connect to the Steam network again."

Hate steam with a passion. Drives me round the twist every now and then when I get the unable to connect to steam. I always play in offline mode as often I play on my laptop in areas with no internet coverage, wifi etc....when this happens its impossible for me to play FM until I return somewhere with internet connection. Blooming annoying!

Ima have to fork out a minimum £40 just to play Football Manager again. Cant believe it! Jokes.

The whole reason I had to reboot my computer from the XP disc is because of Steam! If yu switch yur PC off at the mains while Steam is still running it plays games wid yur computer n yu can't get onto yur desktop. The thing is I quit Football Manager and exited to desktop, then switched it off at the mains thinking its all gravy, I was wrong. Steam must have stayed running after I quit FM!!!

It's indeed on Steam side, not the SI. Steam didn't have the username/password in storage so it is refusing to let him/her to go into offline mode. Not too sure why that happened but yes, try to connect to internet for a min, then turn it off to play offline mode. Should be ok.

What, just take my whole computer to the nearest Library or Internet Cafe? lol Or can I download and log in to Steam there and bang it in Offline Mode... Will that work without touching my computer? So if I put it in Offline Mode on a next computer by my account will that be the same on my computer as well?

What, just take my whole computer to the nearest Library or Internet Cafe? lol Or can I download and log in to Steam there and bang it in Offline Mode... Will that work without touching my computer? So if I put it in Offline Mode on a next computer by my account will that be the same on my computer as well?

Sorry no, you need your PC online so you can set it up.

If you go to View -> Settings in Steam, on the account tab there is a box that says "Don't save account credentials on this computer." This box needs to be unchecked in order for Steam to work in offline mode, otherwise it won't. Steam has never failed to work this way for me, although I will admit to only having to use the Offline option very rarely. You do need to connect to Steam once more after unchecking this box, however.

Also, having used Steam for past 9 nine years, it has never corrupted my windows or prevented my from reaching my desktop, not do I think it could actually do that at all. Maybe don't use the mains switch?

Anyway, hope this helps.

My computer has only corrupted like that twice. Both times I shut computer off at mains either right after or before exiting Football Manager. It does happen as I found out it has happened to others while running Steam.

It's not advisable to shut your computer down by turning it off at the mains as you may damage your computer or corrupt your system files (as you already appear to have done).

It is safer to use the Shut Down option in the start menu, once the computer has fully shut down you can then safely turn it off at the mains.

I'm not the grammar/spelling police ..honest (I am) ..but half this thread makes me want to jump off a bridge... keep some standards chaps..

I actually am the grammar/spelling police and will start handing out slaps if it doesn't improve :mad:

It's not advisable to shut your computer down by turning it off at the mains as you may damage your computer or corrupt your system files (as you already appear to have done).

It is safer to use the Shut Down option in the start menu, once the computer has fully shut down you can then safely turn it off at the mains.

When he says shutting it down at the mains, does he mean holding the power button for 5 sec to force a shut, or literally turning off the power strip it's plugged into. Because if he means the second, well, no wonder you've gone and corrupted your PC.

Steams fine, but I often play without internet connection etc.....and it just winds me the cluck up when itll randomly says cannot connect etc....im use to just clicking the play offline option and away we go.

Archived