The Chalkboard Diaries - THE DISCUSSION THREAD

The Chalkboard Diaries

chalkboard.png

This thread is the discussion thread for the main thread, which can be found here;

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/352483-The-Chalkboard-Diaries

Please try and keep all comments constructive (if you disagree with my approach that is fine but please give details why etc). Any posts deemed none constructive will be deleted as I want to keep the thread along the right tracks to create a better discussion.

I hope you all enjoy it :)

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Interesting start, something I will certainly be keeping an eye on. It has already got a few little ideas buzzing around my head.

Cheers :)

It does go more tactical once I post up all about season one, especially when season 2 starts :)

I should actually add that not everything will be uploaded today (The Sheff Utd stuff). There is far to much to upload today and still a fair bit I'll need to write up. This project is rather long term but if I didn't post what I've already done it would have never seen the light of day.

I've started to read through the thread and looks good so far. Looking forward to see how it progresses.

On a tactical note, when facing conservative teams with a back three, playing a flat 451 for example have you considered getting your wider CBs to advance forwards a bit with the ball. Can create some opportunities although obviously carries inherent risks. I've started to do this with my Holland team in the qualification matches and it has really helped to create the odd opening against stubborn/overly defensive teams. In fact in my last match my CB scored (albeit an overhit lofted through ball).

I've started to read through the thread and looks good so far. Looking forward to see how it progresses.

On a tactical note, when facing conservative teams with a back three, playing a flat 451 for example have you considered getting your wider CBs to advance forwards a bit with the ball. Can create some opportunities although obviously carries inherent risks. I've started to do this with my Holland team in the qualification matches and it has really helped to create the odd opening against stubborn/overly defensive teams. In fact in my last match my CB scored (albeit an overhit lofted through ball).

As the tactic and players I have evolved then yeah. In fact I actually use a Libero now for those very reasons, so it leaves the wider CB's to deal with any threats from out wide. :)

As the tactic and players I have evolved then yeah. In fact I actually use a Libero now for those very reasons, so it leaves the wider CB's to deal with any threats from out wide. :)

Interesting. I've always wanted to try something similar but the teams' that I am managing don't quite have the players. My main concern whenever thinking about it is whether the CBs will effectively move wider quickly enough.

Interesting. I've always wanted to try something similar but the teams' that I am managing don't quite have the players. My main concern whenever thinking about it is whether the CBs will effectively move wider quickly enough.

I'll be going into great depth about the 1-2-5-2-0 I use a little later into this project. But the way its set up the CB's don't need to cover the wide areas due to the ML/MR who are defensive wingers been able to deal with 90% of the threat from out wide. But when called upon, the CB's can cover the wide areas good enough :)

It's not easy to get right though but that's expected :)

I'll be going into great depth about the 1-2-5-2-0 I use a little later into this project. But the way its set up the CB's don't need to cover the wide areas due to the ML/MR who are defensive wingers been able to deal with 90% of the threat from out wide. But when called upon, the CB's can cover the wide areas good enough :)

It's not easy to get right though but that's expected :)

I really look forward to it. In fact I've just come up with tactic that may allow me to incorporate a libero in the near future although I'm unsure how balanced it is. Only one way to find out...

I really look forward to it. In fact I've just come up with tactic that may allow me to incorporate a libero in the near future although I'm unsure how balanced it is. Only one way to find out...

I'll gladly offer advice if you need it :)

I'm off out in a sec so wont be able to add anymore for now until later :(

I tried this out:

------------TQ-----------

IFa-----------------------

----BBM-DLPd-CMa-DWs

-------------------------

WBa--------------------

------CB------BPD-----

-----------LB-----------

-----------SK-----------

And although it worked, upon second thoughts I realised it was less attacking than my 451. I'll keep it as a back up and maybe in the future I'll be able to use a 352:

----------AF---TQ------------

-------------------------------

DWs-APa-DLPd-DLPs-DWa

-------------------------------

--------CB------BPD---------

-------------LB---------------

-------------SK---------------

Jesus, what an amazing series of posts that is in the Main Thread Cleon!

This is looking like being a fantastic thread.

It's really enlightening to see your approach to each game as it is simple, logical and consistent.

Small and obvious things like when and where to mark, when and why to use Shouts within the context of a game have so much more relevance when laid out like this.

I have been guilty of focusing far too much on building tactics which are functional and effective, but often fail to make the most of them by taking simple pre-match steps like you have.

Nice to see defensive wingers in use; an often overlooked role which is highly effective in attack and defence.

I've recently moved my wingbacks up to the MC strata as defensive wingers, and whilst it causes a few issues at the back, it causes far more positive issues going forwards.

Thanks for taking the time and effort to create this, it is exceptional.

It's really enlightening to see your approach to each game as it is simple, logical and consistent.

Small and obvious things like when and where to mark, when and why to use Shouts within the context of a game have so much more relevance when laid out like this.

I have been guilty of focusing far too much on building tactics which are functional and effective, but often fail to make the most of them by taking simple pre-match steps like you have.

Nice to see defensive wingers in use; an often overlooked role which is highly effective in attack and defence.

I've recently moved my wingbacks up to the MC strata as defensive wingers, and whilst it causes a few issues at the back, it causes far more positive issues going forwards.

Agreed, it's very informative. I use that very formation myself, so it's great to see how someone else respond to in-game events and compare that to how I would've done myself. Will probably try a couple of things out later today... :D

Excellent stuff, I've just started a game with Chelmsford City (my hometown club) and have decided to go with 352 so I'll be keeping my eye on this.

I'm currently playing a very basic, flat 352 with defensive wingers (saw the idea mentioned in the 352 thread) but I like the idea of the 3142 for extra protection in the middle of the defence. The tips on how to combat various formations were excellent and I'll definitely take those on board going forward.

Cheers Cleon.

Very interesting.

Your formation is very similar to the one I use for Juventus - though I play with the DMC as a DLP (d) and the MCs as BBM (s) and BWM (s). One thing I noticed reading your thread - and this corresponds with my game - is that you seem to be winning a lot of games with less than equal possession. You create a lot more chances than the opposition but concede 50-60% of possession to them. I have the same "problem" in my game. Is that something that you're planning on addressing - and if so how - or are you comfortable having less possession as long as you create a lot of chances?

Cheers mate :)

Is the info easy to read and understand? Sometimes I can't distance myself from the stuff I right to see if it comes across as I want it to. The idea is to show how simple (in my mind the changes I make are common sense, logical and minimal) I believe my approach to be. If its coming across as that, then I'm in the right direction it seems :)

What issues do you have at the back with defensive wingers? Maybe its something I could help with?

Agreed, it's very informative. I use that very formation myself, so it's great to see how someone else respond to in-game events and compare that to how I would've done myself. Will probably try a couple of things out later today... :D

Is there anything I've posted up that you would have done different? I'm always interested to see peoples different approaches and to see what they would have done different to me.

Feel free to post if there is (this goes for all) as it'll make a better catalogue for people reading and give them others ways of approaching and thinking about games :)

Excellent stuff, I've just started a game with Chelmsford City (my hometown club) and have decided to go with 352 so I'll be keeping my eye on this.

I'm currently playing a very basic, flat 352 with defensive wingers (saw the idea mentioned in the 352 thread) but I like the idea of the 3142 for extra protection in the middle of the defence. The tips on how to combat various formations were excellent and I'll definitely take those on board going forward.

Cheers Cleon.

I'm glad you found it useful :)

Very interesting.

Your formation is very similar to the one I use for Juventus - though I play with the DMC as a DLP (d) and the MCs as BBM (s) and BWM (s). One thing I noticed reading your thread - and this corresponds with my game - is that you seem to be winning a lot of games with less than equal possession. You create a lot more chances than the opposition but concede 50-60% of possession to them. I have the same "problem" in my game. Is that something that you're planning on addressing - and if so how - or are you comfortable having less possession as long as you create a lot of chances?

I don't see it as a problem as I'm not trying to create a possession based tactic. That will come naturally over time as my side get mentally and technically better. For now it's all about creating better chances rather than focusing on possession. So for me, there is nothing to address :)

I have actually played 6 seasons of the Sheff Utd save so there is still loads more to post about. So you'll see how the possession comes natural to the side as the thread progresses.

Is there anything I've posted up that you would have done different? I'm always interested to see peoples different approaches and to see what they would have done different to me.

Feel free to post if there is (this goes for all) as it'll make a better catalogue for people reading and give them others ways of approaching and thinking about games :)

I would have done plenty different - first of all I would have finished mid table instead of top, also I would have tried other methods to counter the oppositions tactics that, whilst logically sound in my head, would not have worked on the pitch :D

15 years I've been playing this game and I still suck when it comes to matchday tactics; however I am really enjoying reading the your thread. I play classic mode so I can't use the analysis tools, but your tip of overlaying your tactic onto the oppositions has given me some food for thought. Thanks! :applause:

EDIT: Also the pre-season preparation. It should be obvious when you think about it but it wasn't to me! Now I'll never forget to go into the season with fully fit players and a fully trained tactic.

Is the info easy to read and understand? Sometimes I can't distance myself from the stuff I right to see if it comes across as I want it to. The idea is to show how simple (in my mind the changes I make are common sense, logical and minimal) I believe my approach to be. If its coming across as that, then I'm in the right direction it seems :)

What issues do you have at the back with defensive wingers? Maybe its something I could help with?

It is very readable and accessible, I particularly like the way you've shown both results against each team in the same post.

My issues aren't really with DWs, more so the fact that I am effectively playing a 2-1-4-1-2! Not the most sensible setup, so I'll do something even weirder tonight and play 2-2-4-2 (2 DCs, 2 DMs, flat MC 4 and 2 STs).

It is very readable and accessible, I particularly like the way you've shown both results against each team in the same post.

My issues aren't really with DWs, more so the fact that I am effectively playing a 2-1-4-1-2! Not the most sensible setup, so I'll do something even weirder tonight and play 2-2-4-2 (2 DCs, 2 DMs, flat MC 4 and 2 STs).

Not sure if you are on twitter or not? But I posted something as weird yesterday, I was using no defence. Instead I used a flat 5 at WBR/WBL and 3DMC's. Then 2 MC's/AML/AMR/SC :D

It's got potential as I used it for around 12 games at the end of my season. Not sure I'll find the time to develop it further or write about it though, so I just did a few quick tweets about it.

Cleon, your logic behind leaving the DM as a spare man to pick up midfield runners makes sense, as therefore does using an MC to specific man mark the AM against teams with two MCs.

If you played a 4-3-1-2 (3 MCs), what would you do? If you used a MC to mark the AM, the risk is that he could be drawn away leaving you 1 vs 3 in MC. Even with your DM, you'd be outnumbered centrally.

Cleon, your logic behind leaving the DM as a spare man to pick up midfield runners makes sense, as therefore does using an MC to specific man mark the AM against teams with two MCs.

If you played a 4-3-1-2 (3 MCs), what would you do? If you used a MC to mark the AM, the risk is that he could be drawn away leaving you 1 vs 2 in MC. Would you just hope the DM picked up whatever the other MC didn't?

One of the MC's usually tend to be more defensive minded, so as long as he wasn't creative and didn't have the technique to run the show I'd just allow him to be. If I found he was actually running the show then I guess it would highlight a major flaw in my own system in this instance. But it shouldn't be game breaking I wouldn't have thought, so I'd probably hope my DM would pick the other MC up yeah.

What I'd make a purpose of doing would be to pick the hardest working team player and play him in this role for such situations. That way he should be intelligent enough to work with the other MC's and pick up the free man.

In theory that's what I'd attempt anyway :)

About time you got around to contributing again, Cleon! ;)

Kidding aside, that's an awesome thread Cleon. Looking forward to reading more.

I think I've updated all I can do today now. I'm bored, so I'll try and upload more tomorrow if I get the time :)

Cleon, I'd be very interested to see you go more in-depth about how do you deal with teams who use more attacking wingers and attacking fullbacks against you. Surely, that posses a great challenge for you given your formation.

Interestingly, in my Dortmund save, I played a CL final against Chelsea (again) where I was forced to play with 3DCs due to the fact that my DR (Grosskreutz in this match) got sent off for 2 yellow cards. I had started the match with a deep 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMs against their 4-1-2-2-1 (Bielsa being their coach). I didn't have another DR in my subs because Piszczek was suspended for this match, so was Hummels btw. So I replaced my DL with another DC and changed my formation to 3DCs. My formation became 3DCs, 2DMs, AMR, AMC, AML and STC. Everyone from my team was set to specifically man-mark their direct opponents, except for my STC and I went to Counter Strategy. The score was 1-1 at that time of these changes.

Sadly, Chelsea scored to make it 2-1. Hazard (AML) skinned his man-marker (DCR) and placed a shot in the far corner. At that point I removed all my man-marking instructions, changed my strategy to Attacking and shouted: play wider, get ball forward and pass into space. I equalized almost right away, thanks to beautiful individual run by my AMR (Gotze) - 2-2. After this Chelsea went on the attack, I switched to Counter plus retain possession, pass into space, work ball in the box and I just set my AMR/L to specifically man-mark their FBs. No one else had man-marking instructions. I also subbed my AMC and moved that player to MC for better defensive cover. Chelsea didn't create any chances to score from that point on. I took the game to PKs where I won the final.:) I was quite happy and proud of how I reacted to the circumstances tactically.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I was forced to use 3DCs, which I've never done before and was able to win albeit on PKs. But I had AMR/L in my formation to deal with their attacking FBs. So I'm wondering how your formation will deal with a threat of AMR+DR and AML+DL. I'm guessing that you would set your DWs to deal the opposition's FBs and leave their AMR/L alone, because they can be closed down by your outer DCs.

Cleon, I'd be very interested to see you go more in-depth about how do you deal with teams who use more attacking wingers and attacking fullbacks against you. Surely, that posses a great challenge for you given your formation.

Interestingly, in my Dortmund save, I played a CL final against Chelsea (again) where I was forced to play with 3DCs due to the fact that my DR (Grosskreutz in this match) got sent off for 2 yellow cards. I had started the match with a deep 4-2-3-1 with 2 DMs against their 4-1-2-2-1 (Bielsa being their coach). I didn't have another DR in my subs because Piszczek was suspended for this match, so was Hummels btw. So I replaced my DL with another DC and changed my formation to 3DCs. My formation became 3DCs, 2DMs, AMR, AMC, AML and STC. Everyone from my team was set to specifically man-mark their direct opponents, except for my STC and I went to Counter Strategy. The score was 1-1 at that time of these changes.

Sadly, Chelsea scored to make it 2-1. Hazard (AML) skinned his man-marker (DCR) and placed a shot in the far corner. At that point I removed all my man-marking instructions, changed my strategy to Attacking and shouted: play wider, get ball forward and pass into space. I equalized almost right away, thanks to beautiful individual run by my AMR (Gotze) - 2-2. After this Chelsea went on the attack, I switched to Counter plus retain possession, pass into space, work ball in the box and I just set my AMR/L to specifically man-mark their FBs. No one else had man-marking instructions. I also subbed my AMC and moved that player to MC for better defensive cover. Chelsea didn't create any chances to score from that point on. I took the game to PKs where I won the final.:) I was quite happy and proud of how I reacted to the circumstances tactically.

Anyway, the bottom line is that I was forced to use 3DCs, which I've never done before and was able to win albeit on PKs. But I had AMR/L in my formation to deal with their attacking FBs. So I'm wondering how your formation will deal with a threat of AMR+DR and AML+DL. I'm guessing that you would set your DWs to deal the opposition's FBs and leave their AMR/L alone, because they can be closed down by your outer DCs.

I will be going into a lot more detail as I rise up the leagues and face stronger teams. Those issues don't really exists in League One as I am the favourites, so wasn't many teams who actually set out to attack me.

I can see in one of your screenshots of your formation (the one where Sheff Utd are in the Premier League) you are playing 'Rigid - Attacking'. Is that a permanent setup or do you still play your counter strategy?

I play different in the Prem as I'm playing strikerless now. So I'm not sure without looking at the game the screenshot was took from. Chances are though it was a one off because its very rare I'd start as attacking from the off :)

Edit - Ah you mean in the pre-season section? Ah ignore that, I learn 3 tactics which are the same shape but have different settings i.e strategy, marking etc. It just so happens the attacking one was the one I used to highlight the tactic familarity.

I am very interested to see the development towards the strikerless shape, critically how you get the thing to work!

No idea how you achieved it but my assumption is that it centres around drawing the defence out and using an Attacking Midfielder on Attack and possibly a Treq in the AMC line, with good and varied supply from the flanks and a creative CM role.....

I am very interested to see the development towards the strikerless shape, critically how you get the thing to work!

No idea how you achieved it but my assumption is that it centres around drawing the defence out and using an Attacking Midfielder on Attack and possibly a Treq in the AMC line, with good and varied supply from the flanks and a creative CM role.....

I actually use a IF and a AP as my front 2 in the strikerless version. The AP in a strikerless formation is very underrated and people's first thought seems to be 'Treq'. The AP is the creative centre and the whole tactic revolves around him timing his passes and playing intelligent. The IF makes the space and utilises it while the MC's offer support and take up good positions.

I actually use a IF and a AP as my front 2 in the strikerless version. The AP in a strikerless formation is very underrated and people's first thought seems to be 'Treq'. The AP is the creative centre and the whole tactic revolves around him timing his passes and playing intelligent. The IF makes the space and utilises it while the MC's offer support and take up good positions.

OK, that's interesting as I've never used a central IF.

Not wanting to get ahead of the thread, but what in general terms does a central IF bring to the team? I'm currently using an AM on Attack and he is very similar to the default sliders of an Attacking IF, differences essentially being through balls, crossing and wide play settings.

In your tactic, presumably the IF benefits from the combination of his Running From Deep and the APs through balls and ends up as the main goal getter?

OK, that's interesting as I've never used a central IF.

Not wanting to get ahead of the thread, but what in general terms does a central IF bring to the team? I'm currently using an AM on Attack and he is very similar to the default sliders of an Attacking IF, differences essentially being through balls, crossing and wide play settings.

Presumably the IF benefits from the combination of his Running From Deep and the APs through balls and ends up as the main goal getter?

My goals are quite well spread but the AP and IF do get a few more than the others due to the link up play. The IF makes intelligent runs behind because the oppositions defence don't know how to mark someone so deep (not a bug, its just the same IRL too), do they back off and allow him to run at them or do they push up and risk been skinned? Both ways are risky for the opposition. If they step up then my IF can play a 1-2 with the AP and split the defence. If they stay static and back off the IF has the advantage because the defender has to cope with someone running at them with pace.

My goals are quite well spread but the AP and IF do get a few more than the others due to the link up play. The IF makes intelligent runs behind because the oppositions defence don't know how to mark someone so deep (not a bug, its just the same IRL too), do they back off and allow him to run at them or do they push up and risk been skinned? Both ways are risky for the opposition. If they step up then my IF can play a 1-2 with the AP and split the defence. If they stay static and back off the IF has the advantage because the defender has to cope with someone running at them with pace.

That's really very interesting because I've been obsessed with using two striker roles whose setup (DLF (S) and AF (A)) for me is designed with the idea of them creating a range of horizontal and vertical movement to attract defenders for an AM role to exploit the gaps.

As such, it's almost two wasted roles because if I can create the catch 22 situation for the opposition in other ways (i.e. strikerless but with appropriate AMC setup), all of a sudden I have "more" players to work with. Damn, more tinkering......

That's really very interesting because I've been obsessed with using two striker roles whose setup (DLF (S) and AF (A)) for me is designed with the idea of them creating a range of horizontal and vertical movement to attract defenders for an AM role to exploit the gaps.

As such, it's almost two wasted roles because if I can create the catch 22 situation for the opposition in other ways (i.e. strikerless but with appropriate AMC setup), all of a sudden I have "more" players to work with. Damn, more tinkering......

That was my aim, to free players up to play in midfield. It's all about the numbers game for me and you can dominate games if you have control of the middle. It can be classed as risky but it isn't that bad if you get the roles/duties right. People see the initial formation overview and think omfg this cannot work. When in reality when the match starts the team isn't that shape at all.

Hi Cleon what shouts did/do you tend to se when trying to shut up shop? I always find this hard in a non-possesion based tactic.

Also a little of topic but I see you played Diego De Girolamo a lot. How did he develop? I'm always looking to sign him but normally start off with a lower league team and miss the boat on him. He's one of Sheff Utd's hottest prospects, as I'm sure you know.

#33 you're talking about how your defenders would be giving away passes in your own half, but that you wouldn't mind since your defenders had lacking passing stats.

FM counts heading clearinces (and clearances in general) as passes, always has done that. Seeing that you were playing away and Doncaster pushing up (and crossing loads), I bet the majority of them are clearances that went to the opposition.

Sitting deep (either through own tactical impetus or an opponent dominating a game) naturally lends to lots of defenders with "bad" passing stats, as they will make a lot of header clearances, each one going to the opposition counted as a failed pass.

Post #5 includes details of goals scored and conceded in Season One.

Were you surprised to see such a high proportion of central assists? It intrigues me as whenever I use wide midfield roles or even attacking wingbacks, lots of my assists are from the flanks (though my tactics are built with that specific intent). Obviously the DLF influences the central assist tally, and you don't rate your wide men, but I'm slightly surprised by this assist balance. Also interesting is the fact that whether a DW is on Support or Attack, they contribute the same number of assists. Here's a breakdown of my goals:

FCBarcelona_ReportGoals-2_zps940ea472.png

I'm also interested in those DW Duties and the goals conceded. You don't concede many but appear to do so down your right more than the left. Are the 10 conceded on the side of the DW on Support, or am I looking at things incorrectly?

Post #5 includes details of goals scored and conceded in Season One.

Were you surprised to see such a high proportion of central assists? It intrigues me as whenever I use wide midfield roles or even attacking wingbacks, loads of my assists are from the flanks (though my tactics are built with that specific intent). Obviously the DLF influences the central assist tally, and you don't rate your wide men, but I'm slightly surprised by this assist balance. Also interesting is the fact that whether a DW is on Support or Attack, they contribute the same number of assists.

The job of my wide players is to defend and pick up runners. I'm set up to utilise my numbers in the middle so it's kind of how I expected the assists to be spread out and more focused for central play rather than the wing play. I could make it so they get a lot more assists but all my best players are central players so I try and focus on my strengths and get those players playing well.

My right DW is really poor, he can't tackle or track back. He's more of a poor IF than an actual defensive player. Plus add to the fact that he plays next to the CM who is on an attacking duty. I could solve this issue easily by flipping the whole midfield and having the left side as support and the left MC as the defensive MC. However I believe how I'm currently set up utilises my players the best and takes advantage of the space created. I'm not sure it would be as effective going forward the other way around due to my players footedness.

Btw what shape are you using?

Btw what shape are you using?

Usually this:

FCBarcelona_TacticsTeam_zps0824c104.png

I'm on a different save to that now, but if I go back to it, I'll have more players to work with for a strikerless tactic.

That potentially would be 2 DCs, 1 DM, 2 WBs, 2 MCs and 3 AMs. I'd need to get one MC contributing defensively and then focus on getting the MC and AMC roles balanced. Can see an IF, AP and AM all on Attack working.

#33 you're talking about how your defenders would be giving away passes in your own half, but that you wouldn't mind since your defenders had lacking passing stats.

FM counts heading clearinces (and clearances in general) as passes, always has done that. Seeing that you were playing away and Doncaster pushing up (and crossing loads), I bet the majority of them are clearances that went to the opposition.

Sitting deep (either through own tactical impetus or an opponent dominating a game) naturally lends to lots of defenders with "bad" passing stats, as they will make a lot of header clearances, each one going to the opposition counted as a failed pass.

This is a good point, something I have raised before. Clearances count as a failed pass. I hope this gets sorted one day because yo can't tell how you defenders are passing with a quick glance at the stats.

I have a couple, but I have barely posted lately:

My first question relates to your use of subs, or rather the frequent lack of. I've looked at the players on your bench and you frequently use the same players from the start that you don't bring on from the bench, so it's not a matter of not trusting them. How come you tend to not bring any players on, especially at a level where players' stamina attributes won't be the highest?

The second one is a tactical one: I've got pretty much the same midfield setup in a 4-3-3, the only difference being that I have an advanced playmaker instead of a deep-lying playmaker (still on support). Did you consider using one of those and reject the role in favour of defensive stability? The main reason I'm wary of using a DLP is not the lack of forward runs, but rather the instruction to hold up the ball, which the AP doesn't have. How does that play out in game, with both the DM and the DLP having HUB instructions?

I'll probably think of a few more questions when I re-read the thread, but that's it from me so far.

I have a couple, but I have barely posted lately:

My first question relates to your use of subs, or rather the frequent lack of. I've looked at the players on your bench and you frequently use the same players from the start that you don't bring on from the bench, so it's not a matter of not trusting them. How come you tend to not bring any players on, especially at a level where players' stamina attributes won't be the highest?

The stamina of my squad is fine, it's not bad at all, majority of my players have 14 or higher for stam and NF. However some of the players I don't actually trust to bring on all the time even though they play a few games. Depending on how the game is going it depends on how I use subs. People like McFadzean, Whitehouse, Ironside, Tunnicliffe, Cole etc are all really poor and underdeveloped.

I tend to use subs to either change a game or because a player has low condition. You'll be able to tell from the screenshots which are those games and when I had 2 games in a week because I used subs more. My squad is without a doubt the best one in League One but it doesn't have no depth because the depth are all under developed youths. So I try and keep players on as long as I can.

The second one is a tactical one: I've got pretty much the same midfield setup in a 4-3-3, the only difference being that I have an advanced playmaker instead of a deep-lying playmaker (still on support). Did you consider using one of those and reject the role in favour of defensive stability? The main reason I'm wary of using a DLP is not the lack of forward runs, but rather the instruction to hold up the ball, which the AP doesn't have. How does that play out in game, with both the DM and the DLP having HUB instructions?

I'm not a fan of the AP because they tend to lose shape more than the DLP and its important the midfield don't get too stretched, so I decided the DLP would be the better option. As for HUB they don't do it all the time. In fact my DMC tends to get rid of the ball quick due to passing it to the DLP who dictates the game.

In the 2nd season I was able to swap roles though and used a DLP as the DMC and used 2 CM's support and attack in the centre instead.

Archived