FM Team & Tactics Guide

What is your favourite section in the guide?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite section in the guide?

• Chelsea 2004-06
    • Arsenal 2001-04
    • Barcelona 2010-12
    • Greece 2004
    • Wigan 2012
    • Universidad de Chile 2011
    • Everton 2002-12
    • Athletic Bilbao 2012
    • Spain 2010-12
    • Germany 2010-12
    • Bayer Leverkusen 2001-02
    • Playing Styles
    • Useful Combinations

Since my announcement last week, I have completed the FM Team & Tactics Guide. This 24 page guide has recieved some forum contributions, and will be potentially expanded at a later date. The features in the guide are:

Real Life Tactics Guide - containing tactics from real life teams from the final 10 years, covering a range of different styles, formations and levels of success. These range from the fully tried and tested, to the pure analysis of the team. As such they can be open to interpretation and discussion in this thread is encouraged.

Playing Styles Guide - containing basic templates of how to achieve a certain playing style (of course these are just 1 of many different ways!) and based on a formation suitable for achieving these styles. These are all tried and tested tactics and can form a basis for building your own style.

Useful Combinations - a 3-page section with some of the more basic and cohesive playing combinations to achieve a sensible shape, structure and style of play. These can help you build a team of roles that complement each other and form the football you are trying to achieve.

websiteguide.jpg

All that remains is for you to read the guide, take what you find useful out of it and hopefully keep the discussions going and give you ideas for you game. Discussion is welcome and feedback is requested and encouraged, I hope you enjoy reading this.

Download link - http://www.mediafire.com/?20qbr9rwd68w6ys

I appreciate you've gone to a lot of work doing these but is this really it a download link?

Wheres the discussion? I'm sorry but the thread need substance aswell as just a download link to download the PDF.

I think Cleon, correct me if i'm wrong llama, he is wanting some contributions toward some real life tactics from other members of the forum. People to pitch in with what tactic they have decided to try and replicate in FM from real life and put up some screen shots etc. The discussion, potentially, would come from that? Just thinking out loud.

I think Cleon, correct me if i'm wrong llama, he is wanting some contributions toward some real life tactics from other members of the forum. People to pitch in with what tactic they have decided to try and replicate in FM from real life and put up some screen shots etc. The discussion, potentially, would come from that? Just thinking out loud.

But all the work he's done in the PDF is great yet his opening post offers nothing. Now anyone visiting the thread wont know what they are clicking the link to download for. I've seen threads like this dissapear without a trace due to the opening post. The opening post is vital in developing any kind of discussion. This thread has plenty of potential and could be one of the best yet, however information is lacking from the thread to get any kind of discussion going.

A lot of people are lazy and will view the thread, see the opening post and go away. As lets be honest, it isn't brilliant is it? Even though his PDF is.

To be fair, even at a quick glance the links downt even stick out. All you see is some mumbled team names and numbers that mean nothing unless you followed the other thread where he wanted ideas etc.

I'm not doing or saying this to be harsh. I'm saying it so the thread will be a success. You only have to look at some of the quality threads currently on the first page of the forum to know what I'm talking about. I want this thread to be like those and succeed and create a great discussion :(

People tend to read posts then click links not the other way around. You have to capture them to get them wanting to contribute :)

But all the work he's done in the PDF is great yet his opening post offers nothing. Now anyone visiting the thread wont know what they are clicking the link to download for. I've seen threads like this dissapear without a trace due to the opening post. The opening post is vital in developing any kind of discussion. This thread has plenty of potential and could be one of the best yet, however information is lacking from the thread to get any kind of discussion going.

A lot of people are lazy and will view the thread, see the opening post and go away. As lets be honest, it isn't brilliant is it? Even though his PDF is.

Fair enough - you know better than me in these situations. I am quite obsessive about my detailed posts being aesthetically pleasing so would be happy to 'design' one for llama if he isn't keen on that side of things however, like you pointed out, it has a lot of potential. See what he makes of this anyways :)

To be fair, even at a quick glance the links downt even stick out. All you see is some mumbled team names and numbers that mean nothing unless you followed the other thread where he wanted ideas etc.

I'm not doing or saying this to be harsh. I'm saying it so the thread will be a success. You only have to look at some of the quality threads currently on the first page of the forum to know what I'm talking about. I want this thread to be like those and succeed and create a great discussion :(

People tend to read posts then click links not the other way around. You have to capture them to get them wanting to contribute :)

fair point - was in a rush because i was going out tonight - sorted now (other suggestions welcome)

zonal marking's analysis shows he does - he actually varies his role in the team, you may notice for example no drenthe in that line up - moyes will use a winger role when he plays instead of a wide-midfielder. Fellaini played as a DLP a lot when paired with Arteta.

I probably don't watch Everton near enough as I should but whenever I have seen us play he seemed more of a Ball winning midfielder breaking up the play and laying off short passes. I notice it as he plays in a position I like to play in and plays the way I like to play. On the odd occasion he does play up top in a more advanced second striker role. I would say Gibson was our main DLP as he seems more comfortable on the ball and brings the ball out to look for a pass. He's no Arteta in that role but one of our better creative players. I'd also say he could be a CM and at a push box-to-box mid. Swisso would probably be the man to ask as I think he's the main researcher for Everton. BTW, I'm not having a go at your efforts as I think you've done a great job. Just was confused about those roles, and I could be wrong.

i agree fellaini is very variable, and has been clearly shown in a variety of different roles - this being simply a common one of his

Yeah this sums it up. Moyes and his use of Fellaini has been amazing - a fairly inspired purchase really! Expensive but well, well worth it. 15 Million? Correct me if I'm wrong. He is very proficient technically (often does Maradona turns to beat players) and his late arrivals in the box are always a threat. As you pointed out in your guide Moyes is a very reactive manager and to try and define Fellaini's role to one game won't be possible. One game he would be that Ball Winning Midfielder another he might be a Box to Box and in another he may be a second striker. Fellaini's strengths are very, very widespread and it is a tribute to him and Moyes's transfer selection that he has succeeded in all these roles.

God damn I love David Moyes.

Edit+ Llama I noticed there isn't a Madrid tactic under Mourinho. If you'd like I am happy to post one up here in the coming days (might take a week) as I am currently on a Madrid save and, slightly by accident, stats and the way we play mirrors Mourinho at times. I feel it is only fair since I put the special one out of a job :thup:

happy with that - although will not be releasing an update in the near future - but no, i do no watch RM enough to do it enough justice when plenty others watch them far more than i do.

but yes that sums up everton under moyes - reactive and organised

now that i would love to see, what a superb side that was!

Aye was really set up to be a defensive side with the 7 defensive players. Yet turned out to be one of the most adventerous sides I ever seen.

It was all about the front 3 for me, simply electric.

Although the wb's weren't too shabby either!

Agreed. Carlos was a revelation for me! One of the most intricate front threes I have seen. I was only 8 at the time but that is what YouTube is for!

It was all about the front 3 for me, simply electric.

Although the wb's weren't too shabby either!

Same here. But when you delve into it you realise what a fantastic job the defensive players did and this allowed the electric front 3 and rampaging fullbacks. One of my favourite teams of all time. It makes me more aware of what a great job the defence/midfield did which I wasn't that aware of when I was younger. Due to me concentrating on the attack play. As you get older though you appreciate the finer things :D

llama3 am I have to select playmaker messi in barca formation and which strategy should I start in match and last one do yo recommend any shouts for barca formation ? By the way very quality thread which I seen in my life :)

yasar - messi will be automatically selected playmaker as he is trequartista (always first choice playmaker) - control and counter are good choices for strategy. shouts - retain possession, push higher, pass into space

Great work on that guide Ilama3!:thup: I love to read up about real-life tactics and if I see a tactic that inspires me, I end up trying it out on FM. I've tried to replicate a few of those tactics listed in the OP btw but my favourite ever tactic involved the 06-09 Man United team. :D

Well done, great guide. I disagree with the Wigan section though, I'd class Moses as more of a Winger rather than a more central inside forward and I'd suggest you change the defensive wingers to wing backs as it's more appropriate to describe Boyce/Beasujour as Wing backs rather than Defensive wingers, maybe on Support duty.

Well done, great guide. I disagree with the Wigan section though, I'd class Moses as more of a Winger rather than a more central inside forward and I'd suggest you change the defensive wingers to wing backs as it's more appropriate to describe Boyce/Beasujour as Wing backs rather than Defensive wingers, maybe on Support duty.

in the text section on wigan i state that they can be moved - as depending on if wigan were sitting back moses and maloney tuck in wide, and beausejour and boyce drop back into wing back roles

yasar - messi will be automatically selected playmaker as he is trequartista (always first choice playmaker) - control and counter are good choices for strategy. shouts - retain possession, push higher, pass into space

For a nice possession style, I don't think a specific playmaker needs to be selected, therefore I always tick this option to "none". From my experience the AI is very good at using tight man-marking against your playmaker if you have selected one. I also think that without selected playmaker, the team passing flows better and keeps the opposition guessing.

As for shouts, those are really good and useful, but for Barca I will also add Hassle Opponents, Stay on Feet and Work Ball into Box. In addition, I would say that IMO Barca's player roles in your guide should be slightly different. This is what I'm thinking:

Fluid Philosophy

GK = Sweeper Keeper, support

DR = Wingback, attack

DL = Fullback, support

DCR = Central Defender, defend

DCL = Central Defender, stopper

DM = Defensive Midfielder, defend

MCR = Advanced Playmaker, support

MCL = Advanced Playmaker, attack

AMR = Inside Forward, support

AML = Inside Forward, attack

STC = Trequartista, attack

Otherwise, great job at putting together this PDF guide!

• 4 weeks later...

It's because its a download people just download stuff give it a glance and never really contribute. Its a shame really as its a great piece of work and will have helped so many people but due to it been a download people don't offer feedback or create discussions there always the same sadly. Would be nice if the people who have read it though did post as its nice knowing your work has been read and is appreciated :)

I thought this was excellent. I feel that Arbeloa was a fullback whilst Alba was a wing back for Spain. Also I would suggest Alba should be set as an attacking wing back rather than on Automatic as he never stopped being an aggressive direct option for Spain even when they were as negative as they were in most of the Euros.

Also the use of the 4-2-3-1 (2MCs) in the possession style tactic surely that will leave you too open to make the tactic workable

Funny you should say that as I just lost 2-0 away to Dynamo Kiev (4-2-3-1 Deep) and their AMC was MoM. He kept getting goal side of both my MC's and into dangerous positions so it is a problem. But I have played 13 matches, won 9, drawn 3 and lost 1 so not too much of an issue yet. In the game though, my MC's kept staying high up the pitch and not tracking back like they do in other matches. I think it was because they were pressing the 2 opposition DMC's and then left more space for the AMC.

I am loving the football played though, have not enjoyed watching an FM match this much in a long time, which is perfect due to the International break and there being no league action.

You say trequartista plays a "very short passing game" and deep-lying playmakers play an "expansive passing game". At least in FM11 trequartista has always passing mixed(10) and so do deep-lying playmakers and advanced playmakers. Only by touchline instructions can that be altered as it is mixed (10) regardless of team passing instruction. Has this changed for 12 or what's the logic in saying that?

Archived