FM 2009 - Worst FM game?

I am an avid fan of the FM series, but i have to say that since purchasing this game on a dull November day i had high hopes of it keeping me inside and out of the winter weather, but i have quickly became disillusioned with the whole game. One major gripe for me is the tactical framework they now use within it. I commonly find that i am always unable to produce a tactic that really fits into a team, and thus result in highly inconsistent performances within any team. I have read the tactics bible but still no solution. This growing disillusion i now have over this game has now led me to reload FM2007 and start a game with an 08/09 update.

I'm just wondering what other people think?

Am i the only person who feels like this when they compare it to such brilliance of FM2007?

Cheers

N.B - I know there probably is another one of these threads somewhere but i really don't care about referencing it - surely if the moderators want an update database without thousand of threads, they should discard the threads from past years (i.e I found a thread about Cherno Samba from 2003 - surely the CM03/04 game)

N.B - I know there probably is another one of these threads somewhere but i really don't care about referencing it - surely if the moderators want an update database without thousand of threads, they should discard the threads from past years (i.e I found a thread about Cherno Samba from 2003 - surely the CM03/04 game)

That's going to be the part of your post that sets up the rest of the thread. Awful attitude.

Mike7077, in this thread, seems to share your views. Try contriuting to that thread instead.

I still liked it when I had it working on old computer. But I only had it for a month, didn't really get into a game that much. Definitely the most frustrating to actually get working though, and I hate the way companies release unfinished games because they know they can patch them. Patches should just be for data updates.

It isn't the worst game in the series but it is the most difficult game of the series.

Success relies on logic and patience and if you lack either of these then you are going to struggle on your own. I lacked a bit of logic when building a tactic and I used to get very frustrated when my tactics never worked.

I then took a step back, read a couple of tactical guides and looked over my failing tactic and, using a bit of my own logic and sense, I realised where my tactic was falling short and did well.

I do believe that FM2007 is the best in the series but this newest installment isn't a million miles away. If you persevere and keep going, you can learn alot about the current game engine and realise your faults.

I also HATE how the opposition change to a totally unrealistic tactic such as 4-2-4 for the last 10 minutes and get a goal which causes u to draw/lose!! Clearly this sort of tactic is never used by the majority of teams in real life in any instance and even when it is, it is usually to the detrement of the team applying the tactic!!!

I hate all this logic talk.

The game tactics are faulty it has nothing to do with logics.

If you put 11 players on shooting rarley yet still have assitant say you are taking to many long shots then it is faulty.

If all your players have Long Shots Rarely, but you are still taking too many Long Shots, you probably have a situation where your players have no other attacking options. What are the rest of their settings like?

I also HATE how the opposition change to a totally unrealistic tactic such as 4-2-4 for the last 10 minutes and get a goal which causes u to draw/lose!! Clearly this sort of tactic is never used by the majority of teams in real life in any instance and even when it is, it is usually to the detrement of the team applying the tactic!!!

What? You aren't being serious are you? 4-2-4 is just 4-4-2 with high wingers. Most teams do this when losing.

E.g. Man Utd normally

Rooney   Berbatov

Giggs    Carrick   Scholes    Ronaldo

Man Utd when drawing/losing

Rooney    Berbatov

Giggs                        Ronaldo

Carrick   Scholes

Just an example, but you can clearly see that wingers are furthur up the pitch when losing. Most teams do this.

I guess the problem is you can tell a player to only do long shots rarely but that actual player listening to you and doing that is down to the player.

Most managers would say dont do two footed tackles but in the heat of the game it happens.

Whenever I go up against a 4-2-4, I just turn a bit more defensive, and always get the win. It is about logic, as I personally find it too easy to make a tactic in this version of the game. I spend 5 minutes, and my Liverpool side are unbeaten, drawing once (against West Brom, near top of table).

TBH I would be happier if the tactics got harder to make and succeed with, as I want more of a challenge to win games.

Disagree.

Watch the Champions league second leg ties.

There will be a couple of teams behind with 5 minutes to go, watch how the team eventually adopts the 4-2-4 formation, in an attempt to get something out of the game.

I recommend the liverpool- chelsea game :thup:

I am afraid i agree with you trueman .i love FM games but 09 just has nt got me hooked and i dont know why . i mean i was one of those people whose wife would get the hump that i was playing too much but not no more i am even considering trying championship manager this year when released ( please dont shoot me for saying that ! ). Sorry SI Games but i am not feeling the passion anymore and i want it back.

If all your players have Long Shots Rarely, but you are still taking too many Long Shots, you probably have a situation where your players have no other attacking options. What are the rest of their settings like?

similar tactics to what i have been using last 4 years all of which produced fun attacking footie.

I have them on run often forward run often and THROUGH BALLS OFTEN!! thats the most annoying one because it never happens even though theres at least 3 players to pick from.

The sliders is the most annoying thing though, getting more tedious as new games come

You hate it?

Well it's a valid tactic, definitely not unheard of, as per arsenal_211's post.

The answer? Deal with it, devise a tactic to nulify the threat a 4-2-4 poses. As with every, and I mean EVERY tactic, it has it pro's and con's, strengths and weaknesses.

Do you think Benitez sits there and says 'I hate it when Fergie sticks four up front, nobody else uses this tactic'?.....

Just another post from someone who wants the game to be really easy and hasn't put the time into understanding the tactics. If you have, I apologise, I suggest however that you haven't. This is with regard to your post about this supposedly insane 4-2-4 tactic.

Arsenal - what i mean by the 424 as shown by ur graphics is that, in my game, the wingers are already within an advanced position say AMR/AML position and as soon as the opposition changes to the dresded 4-2-4 they change to FR/FL positions which leads to having 2 midfield players within the middle of the park. Obviously this tactic played against a team playing a four man midfield is never ever goin to come out on top due to be overpowered within the middle of the park, and it causes them to resort to long balls from the Defence straingth to Attack. Of course i can still see goals occurring from this if u are a high level team, but when ur playing against dross such as Gateshead in the BSN and they do this, gam upon game, and they end up beating you 2:1 it is totally ridiculous seeing as the players at these sort of quality teams will, usually, not be able to stump up this sort of quality passing.

Do you see where i'm coming from now? i should have stated that i am generally an LLM type of manager and i have still seen this type of play.

I am an avid fan of the FM series, but i have to say that since purchasing this game on a dull November day i had high hopes of it keeping me inside and out of the winter weather, but i have quickly became disillusioned with the whole game. One major gripe for me is the tactical framework they now use within it. I commonly find that i am always unable to produce a tactic that really fits into a team, and thus result in highly inconsistent performances within any team. This growing disillusion i now have over this game has now led me to reload FM2007 and start a game with an 08/09 update.

Am i the only person who feels like this when they compare it to such brilliance of FM2007?

Cheers

Neilio, if u can clearly read my first post it clearly states that i have clearly revised the new tactical framework through the revision of tactical guides, does it not?

Where?

It doesn't really, does it!

Okay, so you are saying that logic doesn't play a major part?

Also, if your players are not making good enough chances, they will be forced to take long-shots even though the set up is set to rarely. There are loads of factors that can determine something so don't think that something is faulty unless you have broken down a teeny weeny bit.

I just wish my strikers were more consistent :( Despite away to win my 6th league title on the trot, I've only ever had a striker score more than 20 goals in the league once and the other times no striker can score more than 15. The inconsistency of the strikers is what will probably force me quite playing it within the next month or so :(

i have to say, although i get very frustrated with this game. it is overall very good. the things you say about tactics Trueman arent very true. a lot of teams will push more players forward and change there positions late in the game, thats football. i am not one of those people who is going to claim its all your tactics but if you think about it, a part of it must be down to that. or as in real life it is just bad luck. there are obviously faults with this game tactically but nothing dramatic. its very much realistic to real life, you cant just step into a team in real life, make up a tactic and expect it to work. it takes time, effort, and then you cant keep using the same tactic, it changes when you bring in other players, play other teams, different pitches. so if you want to moan about how awful this game is then moan, but as people have already said it takes logic and patience to win this game and if you dont have either then its going to be hard to play.

I've often had a my strikers can't score moment (mainly as they are bobbins), and like others I've used 20 goals as a benchmark as a good return.

Imagine my surprise when I look at the BBC's Prem top scorers chart and find that no-one has scored more than 15 goals this season and two of the top five players are midfielders, (well, one mid and Ronaldo). Obv this is just league goals, but perhaps I've been asking too much of my League 1 strikers!!!!

P.S. I personally think that FM09 is the best game since the FM change....The last couple were a little bit easy to put together good runs, but I think that the form/ morale impact on performance is much better and makes me think about my team more.

KUTGW SI!!

I am an avid fan of the FM series, but i have to say that since purchasing this game on a dull November day i had high hopes of it keeping me inside and out of the winter weather, but i have quickly became disillusioned with the whole game. One major gripe for me is the tactical framework they now use within it. I commonly find that i am always unable to produce a tactic that really fits into a team, and thus result in highly inconsistent performances within any team. I have read the tactics bible but still no solution. This growing disillusion i now have over this game has now led me to reload FM2007 and start a game with an 08/09 update.

Cheers

sorry for going offtopic but where did you get your FM07 data update for season 08/09? :)

No your not, I recently loaded up FM07 again and im having some great fun.

I like FM09 for many reasons, but the one thing that frustrates me more than anything else is the difference between the home and away form, that for me makes it un-realistic, I don't want to be the manager of Scunthorpe, pick an attacking tactic, sit back and watch the game and see my team totally dominate the league leaders, have 25 shots on goal, my keeper not having a save to make and me not having to change tactics at all.

It wouldn't happen IRL and it didn't happen in FM07, against the leading sides from the same division it would be close, chances at either end, and you had to think about making changes.

Even the sides near the bottom of any division were capable of causing an upset, just as they do IRL.

We all want to win, but some of us want to earn the victory, it should be tough both home and away...

No your not, I recently loaded up FM07 again and im having some great fun.

I like FM09 for many reasons, but the one thing that frustrates me more than anything else is the difference between the home and away form, that for me makes it un-realistic, I don't want to be the manager of Scunthorpe, pick an attacking tactic, sit back and watch the game and see my team totally dominate the league leaders, have 25 shots on goal, my keeper not having a save to make and me not having to change tactics at all.

It wouldn't happen IRL and it didn't happen in FM07, against the leading sides from the same division it would be close, chances at either end, and you had to think about making changes.

Even the sides near the bottom of any division were capable of causing an upset, just as they do IRL.

We all want to win, but some of us want to earn the victory, it should be tough both home and away...

And just to add before anyone wants to shoot me down...

Take a look at the top four divisions in England from last season and tell me how many clubs won 15+ home games,

Now load up FM09 and answer the same question after completing a season....

Personaly i preferd the match engine and the tactical set up in 2007.Although i had to read wwwfans tactical guide,i found myself making a tactic set within a couple of hours and felt i had a big understanding of how the match engine worked and enjoyed much success with lower league and top level teams.

The fact that in fm2009,[this is not a critisism]that there is a 50 page guide,just shows you how complex the game has become,and it can take much longer to work out.Wheather this is right or wrong is another thing,as the game is definatly not a pick up play game anymore.

It maybe worth looking at Crouchaldinhos thread in the tactics forum,SIMPLICITY-How to make a solid and simple 442 set,if you want to create your own tactic set with an easy explanation to how the game works .

Or probably the nearest thing to a pick up and play tactic,read and download Tyberlodes tactics in his thread as he has helped a lot of people,including myself,and at last i am enjoying the game again.

I'm loving FM09 for the challenge it consistantly presents. In every FM I've played before (FM05 on), within the first 11 years, I've gotten my lower league team to the top league of the country and started a string of league victories and serious competition each year for the European Cup, winning better than half. This year, for the first time, I didn't win the FA Cup the year I got promoted from the Championship. I actually had to struggle in my first year in the Prem, not staying up until the last day.

FM09 is great, because it makes me think, and winning isn't gaurenteed, even with a quality squad...

FM09 is great, because it makes me think, and winning isn't gaurenteed, even with a quality squad...

Amen to that!!!!!!!!!!

I just wish they could have fixed the league swap issues!

Archived