Veloso too big for West Ham

I find it very strange that some players, hardly high-profile superstarts, such as Miguel Veloso and Joao Moutinho of Sporting CP, or Rafinha of Schalke, would not even consider joining a top half Premier League side, namely West Ham, for maximum wages!

You might justify this by suggesting that Sporting CP play Champions League football regularly, but realistically, I can't see a Sporting player rejecting a lucrative offer from a Premier League club.

Am I the only one who thinks that way?

I think you have to consider that Veloso and Moutinho have routinely been linked with clubs like Man Utd, AC Milan, etc. in the past in real life. If a player I really want is reluctant to join, I look at his favorite people list and bring in the cheapest staff/player on there.

It also has to do with the surroudings, normally those players form Portugal have a hard time adapting to the live in the UK, maybe this is also taken into account when trying to sign them for Westham Utd.

As everyone else has said, Moutinho and Veloso are more ambitious than West Ham.

If they were to join the Premiership, they're the kind of players who would go to the big 4, or potentially Man City or Spurs. I cannot see anyone, even Villa, having much luck in attracting them.

They're both at a CL level club who regularly challenge for titles, whatever way you look at it, it will be a backwards step/big gamble to move to a Premiership club in decline.

Remember when they bought them two Carlos-kick-a-ball's from Argentina, who barely played. What ever happened to those jokers!

They didn't buy them, Joorabchian, their agent/owner told them to play for West Ham as a bribe so he could buy the club. That's why they're in all this litigation trouble now ;)

I find it very strange that some players, hardly high-profile superstarts, such as Miguel Veloso and Joao Moutinho of Sporting CP, or Rafinha of Schalke, would not even consider joining a top half Premier League side, namely West Ham, for maximum wages!

You might justify this by suggesting that Sporting CP play Champions League football regularly, but realistically, I can't see a Sporting player rejecting a lucrative offer from a Premier League club.

Am I the only one who thinks that way?

Everton tried to sign Moutinho IRL the summer, no way he said.

dont you have enough defensive midfielders at liverpool? :D

You can never have too many midfielders.

I play him as the attack minded MC in a 4-5-1 formation, Mascherano as DM, Gerrard (injured for 5 months!)/Alonso as the other MC with Riera and Babel as AML and AMR. Seems to work well in that position.

Like many people have already said, Sporting are a team that pretty much every year are in the Champions League, this means that players will want to stay there rather than moving to a team that doesn't play Champions League football.

Also, Sporting quite often win trophies which players like and at a lower team (in your case West Ham) they have less chance of winning trophies, and therefore this influences their decision.

Right, only crappy players like Tevez and Macherano would ever consider playing for West Ham.

Back then they had a sudden boost in rep thanks to the Icelandic million(billion?)naire taking over and the promise of more to come. They were on the up, but even with those players they failed miserably and nearly got relegated. Then they both players left as fast as their little legs would carry them.

Would they have stayed if the Hammers qualified for the CL? Who knows? Probably not if Man U and Liverpool were the clubs coming for them.

We all know that there was something dodgy about that...

I think SI would find it hard to programme that level of corruption into the game.

Besides, they've always said that things like bungs, tapping up and - in the case of Tevez/Mascherano - amoral agents will not feature as they are not part of football in the official sense.

I think SI would find it hard to programme that level of corruption into the game.

Besides, they've always said that things like bungs, tapping up and - in the case of Tevez/Mascherano - amoral agents will not feature as they are not part of football in the official sense.

Yeh, I know this mate and totally agree with SI for not implementing these features into the game. I was just stating to Butters76 that Mascherano and Tevez were an unique case.

But would either of these players sign for West Ham in the game if they were challenging for the Premiership and qualifing for European competitions??

Not sure, only if Liverpool and Man Utd were/are doing worse then West Ham, then you have a chance that they would consider it (does any of them have West Ham as favorite club?)

Point is they both agreed to play for West Ham. The dodgy part was between Wesh-Ham MSI and the agent.

If the players didn't agree to play for Wesh-Ham there would be no deal no matter how corrupt the agent was and the controversy over that deal.

That said, I'm pretty sure West Ham would be able to sign Veloso in game, but it would have to be at the right time. Player unhappy at the club, hates his current manager or so on. You wouldn't be able to sign him when he is happy.

Point is they both agreed to play for West Ham. The dodgy part was between Wesh-Ham MSI and the agent.

If the players didn't agree to play for Wesh-Ham there would be no deal no matter how corrupt the agent was and the controversy over that deal.

I'm sure the agent promised them that this was a stepping stone. Of course, I have no evidence for this, only that no other big names joined.

Plus, these two had only just come onto the scene and were largley "potential" buys. Don't forget ManU and Liverpool both turned them down originally.

Archived